A Connecticut Dilemma?

Go or stay?

• Yes, go. Orlando Bloom isn’t in the new Pirate movie.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No, stay home and water the eggplants.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Armadillo Apocalypse on July 30th, so it doesn't matter.

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Here’s the problem:

Last summer after a 12 hour one-way drive, I spent one of the worst ten days of my life cooped up in a rustic dorm cabin in the middle of the woods with a building full of Olympic contending athletes -nice to look at- but virtually impossible to engage in intelligent conversation unless it meant talking about them and their somewhat meaningless exploits...

This summer (first week of August) I have the opportunity to stay with them again.

Oh joy.

But, this location is a five hour drive, it’s in a spot in Connecticut that I have kinda longed to visit. Five miles to the east is the small town my ?x Great Grandfather left in 1805 with his Daddy’s Revolutionary War land patent to seek a new life in the wild western frontier of Ohio... and this same location is also 7 miles west of where my ancestor on my Mother’s side first came to the ‘New World’ in 1641...

My Mother -as most of you know- probably can’t make the trip. She has another two weeks of Chemo to go to *hopefully* beat breast cancer.

In 1648 her/my ancestor began a ferry service across the river there in Connecticut... a service that lasted 200 plus years and the road to where the ferry was, still exists... his 1650 home still stands... I could (If I wanted to) rent a canoe and paddle across 363 years of family lineage.

I’m torn. Yes, I’d like to go. Yes, it’s probably the least expensive visit I could ever ask for. Yes, my Mother would just love it if I went and took tons of photos. Yes, no one on her side of the family has ‘been back’ in 206 years...

however...

It means another ten days in absolute social hell, and if I don’t take my own car, I’d take my bicycle - which sounds kinda wonderful. Also, I don’t travel with electronic gizmos, no cell phone, laptop, etc. so no connectivity to the outside world... and to be honest... it means a week plus of my life dedicated to the long dead...

So tell me,
if you had a similar opportunity...
why you would go,
or why would you not go?

Thanks!

-Kelly

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I'd definitely go. This time, you know what to expect so you can prepare some of your own entertainment. I'd ditch the no technology rule too. Bring your computer, use the opportunity to write in a beautiful, foreign (to you) setting. Bring a bus load of books and your bike. Enjoy the solitude that the attitude of your companions encourages. I'm assuming you're a reader being on this board and all :) JMO. If you go, have a great time!

ETA: Bring wine and board games. Give everybody a glass or two, they'll loosen up, and hopefully you can have some decent conversation.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
this is a no-brainer, kelly. so, yanno,...
it should be easy for you. :roll: *don't kill me yet*

go.

take many pics.

maybe,....just maybe, it'll (the social scene) be different this time around.
if you let it be different.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go, with a stack of really good books and pens and empty notebooks, spend the absolute minimum time socializing so as not to be thought rude, and spend the rest of the time reading and writing and exploring around. Bring your car AND your bicycle :D Write many good words and make a photo album for your mom. Make it the vacation you want to have, not the one forced upon you by others.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would go. The ancestor related places I want to visit are far more than 5 hours away (more like 2 days), and no cheap housing once I got there. Go, take lots of pictures, knock on the door of your ancestor's house (maybe they'll invite you in). I would love to have this kind of opportunity. Heck, I'd even do west Texas(where my people were) in Aug.

MM

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I'm slowly beginning to convince myself to go. It's not the history as much as it is one missing piece of paper. Mom needs her 'proof' of a marriage and a maiden name from 1796... and it looks like I'm going to be the one to go find it. It might just make everything else that's happened this year trivial. =)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
As long as the people are not active jerks, but simply people with different interests, I'd say go. It sounds like an unmatchable opportunity. I would second the idea of a laptop, if nothing else so you can clean out your camera and take tons more pictures.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I would second the idea of a laptop, if nothing else so you can clean out your camera and take tons more pictures.
Yes. And whether you bring a laptop or not, invest in a spare memory card for your camera. Even good ones are not that expensive these days. In addition, bring an extra (rechargeable) battery so you won't worry about losing power to the camera when you need it most.

Also, if you decide to go, maybe you can post pictures of your trip in this thread so we can share part of the journey with you.

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
Go, but instead of staying with olympic athletes or something, bring a tent and camp in a graveyard. Just respect the dead and you'll be fine. Or don't, and bring a ouija board, and describe your horrifically awesome experience in detail.

ETA: OH! And make sure you bring like a big notebook and some pens/pencils. That way you can write about your experiences... and give me permission to publish your papers in the inevitable event of your death at the hands of flesh-hungry midnight zombies.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Honest answer: I think as a younger man I'd have hung out with the athletes. I like looking at people who are nice to look at.

Today I'd go to Connecticut. I like my dead relatives better than the living ones, and I like the "no device" thing. I'd bring a camera and a pad and pen.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go go GO!!! Can I fit in your suitcase? That trip sounds cool as hell.

I don't see a downside to this, especially as escaping the people you don't want to spent time with will be easy. Connecting with your family's past and experiencing new grounds is way more important than having to endure vapid conversation.

Rent that canoe. Bring that bicycle. Have a great time because I know you will.