100%, complete, total n00b.

Scott Perry

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sns.ewrestle.net
Hands in the air, totally honest here; I'm a n00b. Not to the forums, just to songwriting. I played guitar as a youngster, used to play really well but I haven't played in a considerable amount of time. I'm looking to get back into it and just get back into music in general. I LOVE music guys, I can't get enough of it. I play music 24/7. Car, home, whilst I'm in bed, whilst I'm asleep at night, in the morning when I'm in the shower, I just love it. I love how it makes me feel, and now I just wanna be able to write some of my own.

Where do I start? A plan of action, if you will. What would you do if you had to start a fresh. Give me a run down.

Thanks guys.
-Sc00t

ThirtySix

You could start by getting some lessons. Second, start looking for other musicians you want to work with. Make sure they're around the same age and you share somewhat of the same musical tastes. Then you have to decide what direction you're heading in. Are you just doing it for fun? Or are you planning on making an honest attempt at pursuing a carreer? And make sure whoever you're with shares those goals. Unless you're just looking to do it yourself, which is cool also.

I've been in bands for ten yrs. now. Came really close to success, once. Been struggling ever since. Don't regret a single moment of any of it. And would never give it up.

Good luck to you.

P.S. LESSONS

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MUSICAL PLAN OF ACTION​

I - Get out your old guitar and restring it and clean it
.....a) Or buy a new one.
.........1. Nylon if you won't play more than 1/2 hour a day
.........2. Steel string if you can stand the bleeding fingertips for a week

II - Buy acetone.
.......a) Or fingernail polish remover (which is acetone)
...........1. Do not get fragranced fingernail polish remover.
...............aa. Unless you want to smell like a fairy.
.......b) Dip your fingertips in the acetone when they start to blister.
............1. Acetone dries out the puss.
.......c) Dip fingertips in even if blisters break.
III Keep a notepad next to you when plunking your fist strings in years
.......a) The firs 3 days are your most creative as a replenished musician.
.......b) Write down anything that comes to mind as you experiment again.
...........1. Nothing is too stupid. Remember!
IV When you think your writings are too stupid to sing or sell, listen to the radio for 10 minutes. That will get you back in the confidence mode.
V Item III will not be particular successful if you don't keep a pencil or other writing untensil handy.
........a) duh.

Scott Perry

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sns.ewrestle.net
Just looking to do it for fun right now. I'm not looking to get famous from it, but I'd love to get good enough to do some local gigs or something, just for fun. Or maybe play a house party. You know, that kind of stuff.

Thanks for your advice thus far guys. :)

- Sc00t

Berry

Registered
Reaction score
rtilryarms said:
Nothing is too stupid. Remember!

Yes, indeed, write even the stuff you think is stupid. You don't have to show it to anyone, EVER, and it might be the key to some future brilliance.

Or it might turn out not to be so stupid after all.

In the creative process of "brainstorming", the rules are that in the meeting, you write down on the blackboard, ALL ideas, no matter how silly or stupid. ESPECIALLY if they're silly or stupid, because sometimes it triggers lateral out of the box thinking. No one is allowed to criticise ANY idea until the end of the exercise, when you can winnow them down to something practical.

Good luck with your songwriting.