Convict Transport

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm editing a historical fiction and want to double check one of my characters. I've Googled and read different books, and I've gotten different answers.

My books is in the 1700's. One of my characters is a young boy about 10 who was found alone on the London docks one morning. His mother was a prisoner who was transported. I know children were imprisoned with their mothers, but is it plausable that the boy would have been gone with his mother from prison to the dock for transported but been left behind?

I've read yes, kids were transported with their mothers and no, they were placed in orphanages.

Thanks

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I've read yes, kids were transported with their mothers and no, they were placed in orphanages.

Thanks

And there is the answer.

It will of course depend on the circumstances, such as had the boy wandered off, or did the mother hide him. Maybe she bribed one of the guards with a sexual favor.

I am not sure there is a yes or no answer to this. Both are plausible...

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, if the information is that hard to find I doubt most of your readers will know or care if you are being accurate. Honestly I would read it either way and just accept that that's right. It wouldn't even surprise me if both possibilities were open and it just depended on circumstances.

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
I think a lot of them were placed into workhouses and some were used as Chimney sweeps, actually climbing up inside the chimney.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
I think...

you should consider the age. A ten year old was not a child. He would have been working. If he was in gaol with his mother it was because he'd been put there by a magistrate or judge. In which case he'd be transported with his Mum for the 'sin' they had committed.

If he'd not been involved in the 'crime' then he probably would have been hauled into the local Workhouse or found himself on the street or in the slums scraping a living.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it