Dog stories...

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for stories about favourite dogs. The irascible mutt that won your heart. The sweet mop you loved from the start. The ugly mug you couldn't help but love.

Dogs have a hold on our hearts. Tell me why.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I understand dogs. Dogs make sense. Dogs are how people should be: unreserved in affection, prone to random bouts of joy, obedient only to the pleasure of the now.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I understand dogs. Dogs make sense. Dogs are how people should be: unreserved in affection, prone to random bouts of joy, obedient only to the pleasure of the now.

I couldn't agree more, Chris. Did you have a special dog? Any stories to share?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Why are you looking for them? If you're requesting stories to publish in an anthology or magazine you're planning or work for, this is the wrong forum. This room is for research-only questions.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Why are you looking for them? If you're requesting stories to publish in an anthology or magazine you're planning or work for, this is the wrong forum. This room is for research-only questions.

Gosh, no! I'm writing a novel that features dogs. I want some ideas about dog antics, both frustrating and endearing, to turn into a few scenes in the novel. Definitely not interested in using anything verbatim.

ETA: My dog ate my favourite bra once. I guess I could use that. :)

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Ah! :LilLove: No worries then. Carry on. :)

I have two stories then. Here's my story about Brin, my pit bull/hound/lab cross. We call her "raptor girl." Remember the movie, Jurassic Park, where the game keeper is talking about the female leader of the raptors? "She's smart, damned smart. You can look in her eyes and tell--she's working things out."

Brin loves nothing better than testing the fences to see if she can get out. Over, under, through--doesn't matter to her. She can do a standing jump of a four foot fence, like a cat, and a running jump even higher. And she's got enough hound in her that her nose rules and she will wind up miles away following a scent.

Scary smart dog. But not quite as smart as a former dog, Kai. That dog not only was smart, she planned things. She loved potato chips, went insane over them. We figured out she was taking the chips off the counter, so we started putting them higher. But they would still disappear--bags and all. We finally installed a camera in the kitchen and were jaw-dropping floored by what we saw. She lifted up her nose, found the chips, (and here's the important part!) grabbed one of the kitchen chair legs in her teeth, pulled it over to the refrigerator, hopped up, stood on her hind legs, grabbed the chip bag, jumped back down . . . (and here's the amazing part!) she PUT THE CHAIR BACK!

Then she took the bag to the other room, scattered the chips on the floor so the other dogs could share and then . . . HID THE BAG under a couch cushion.

Honestly, you could write it in a book but nobody would believe it. Scary smart...

Last edited:

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Our dog has many antics... mainly due to him being more intelligent than the average dog but not intelligent enough to spot the obvious consequences...

He has a tendency to try to deliberately lose his balls - in rivers, in undergrowth etc - so that you have to buy him new ones. He is also a bit wierd about alcohol. He used to run away and hide whenever we opened a bottle of wine (we suspect he used to be abused by someone who drank, mores the pity, one day we may track down all his previous owners and teach them the true meaning of compassion... with extreme prejudice). Now he merely gives us a disapproving glance like a born again methodist.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I had a colliexspringer. my dad took us to see the animals at a USPCA rescue centre to put us off getting a dog - come look at all the mean, bad, barking and violent dogs.

Well, while we were being shown all teh worst cases, and given a lecture about the responsibility of having a dog, this little black and white ball jumped the door in the puppy enclosure and I scooped her up and refused to let her go. Dad had to adopt her because I wouldn't put her down.

We had her for 16 years before she died of old age.

She was the sweetest dog when she knew you, but she would have killed a stranger who came to the house. anyone breaking in would have deserved what they got.

The only time she was weird was when I had my daughter. she got all strange and wouldn't let me stroke her or even touch her. but she took to my daughter straight away, and used to lie beside her baby chair, or under her cot. every photo we have of my daughter has the dog in it too, she took it upon herself to guard her. even though she was totally blind at that stage.

she had cataracts, but she developed them very late in life, and the vet didn't think it was a good idea to remove them at her age, as she probably wouldn't come through the op. it never bothered her though. she knew her home and was comfortable. the only time she struggled was when we went anywhere new, and she tended to stick close to your legs, but other than that, people were always shocked to find out she was blind.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Here's my dog story!

ETA:
When Arjun was a puppy, six months old, he started to go lame. At first it was just a dragging of the hind legs, but it got worse and worse very quichly. The vet had no idea what was wrong. Two days later he could hardly move his legs; when he tried to walk, he stumbled and fell over. We went to another vet, had x-rays taken, no explanation. We took him to a dog hospital. By this time he could not walk. He just lay there, almost as if paralysed. They couldn't figure out what was wrong. They wanted to do some expensive procedure which involved removing bone marrow just in order to test it, and dig into his brain or something - mind you, it wasn't a treatment, just some kind of very complicated procedure to see if he had a neurological problem. I can't remember what the vet said at the time - it was very technical, and only one thing was clear - they had no idea what was wrong. We felt it was all ********.

We took him home and refused the diagnostic procedure. We were advised to put him to sleep, but as he didn't seem to be in pain, we didn't. It was my daughter's beloved dog; she was ten at the time.

By this time he couldn't even eat. He lay on the carpet and we fed him liquids through a syringe. He couldn't even lift his head. But you could tell he wasn't in pain by the eyes, which were freindly and puzzled, but not fearful or in anguish. He seemed to be dying.

Every morning I woke up and expected to find him dead. But I would go into the sitting room and the first thing I'd hear was "thump, thump, thump" - his tail wagging, and hitting the floor. He still couldn't lift his head, but was taking in the liquids. I prepared my daughter for his death as well as I could.

We were supposed to all be going to India, but my husband opted to stay behind to look after Arjun, who still couldn't move. Days later, there was no change - just the tail wagging.

On Christmas day, we were sitting on a hill and my daughter prayed with all her heart for him. She told God, if it was possible, to heal him, but if not, let him die and look after his soul.

We called my husband that evening and he said Arjun was eating again. The next day, he was struggling to get up. A day later, he was walking. A week later, he was back to normal.

When we returned to Germany, my husband had researched the whole thing and found the answer:
Arjun was at that phase where he chewed everything up. The week before he took ill, he had dug up all my husband's potted plants in the basement and ripped them apart.
Among the destoyed plants was cyclamen; my husband found out that the roots of cyclamen are poisonous, and the symptoms are exactly those the dog showed. He actually should have died.

Last edited:

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh Caro I wrote this a few weeks before the best dog I ever had died- its been four years and I still miss him- this might not be exactly what you are lookng for but there are a few antics in there-

We first met when you were only six weeks old. Black as coal but for the patch of white on your chest, your eyes barely seen in the face of dark fur. You practically named yourself; Bear. You grew into an athletic and energetic teenager, accompanying us on horseback rides, always outrunning the horses even in a full gallop. You were a thing of beauty to watch, head bobbing in time to your gait, legs pumping as you ate up the ground at your feet.
My boy, my Bear.

At two you tipped the scales at eighty lean mean pounds and scared the crap out of friends and strangers alike, but I knew there was nothing scary about you. Hiding under anything that could accommodate you during thunderstorms, or whenever I ran the vacuum cleaner, you were a big furry, black chicken.
My scary, big, Bear.

You forgave me when I screamed at you for eating the TV remote, the portable phone and the kitchen cabinet. That was when we learned about crate training.
I forgave you the time you dropped a deer skull scavenged from the woods on my back, or killed the groundhog and cracked opened its head to get at the good stuff and then licked me in the face, all forgiven, all great stories saved in time.

We never gave up on you when you went missing for over a day. Lying in a hunters foot trap, quiet and still, we must have passed you half a dozen times until we realized it was you.

The uncertainty at whether you would loose your leg or not and the relief at finding out the trap was too small and you were too big. Keeping me company in the quiet of night when I couldn’t sleep, defending me from the boogey man, both real and imagined.

My hero, my Bear.

Always a gentleman with the cats, never chasing them, letting them sit on you, even letting one little orphan try to nurse off your teats. That cat thought it was a dog until the day it died, my reluctant nurse maid, my Bear.

Babysitter extraordinaire, letting me know when the kids where getting into something they shouldn’t be. Waking them up with sloppy doggy-kisses in the morning and even dragging them out of bed when necessary. Helping me herd the horses when they got out, doing fence repairs on cold November days with me. You had a knack for finding the downed areas I missed. It seems you have always been there and now I watch you and wonder where the years have gone.

You lie sleeping at my feet, most of the black threaded through with white now, your muzzle nearly gray with it. Arthritic hips betray your youth and keep you house bound these days. I have to help lift you up the two steps to the door as you whine and yip your frustration. The ninety pound puppy has taken your alpha role and it kills me to see you relent to her, but always the gentleman you have taken this with grace and dignity.

You still want to go running with the horses and it breaks my heart to have to leave you at home. You look at me as if I have betrayed you, when it is your own failing body that has done the betraying.

Thirteen short years, it isn’t fair, and it isn’t nearly enough for one of your strength and heart. I knew going into this I would be the one saying goodbye, but I didn’t count on you taking a piece of my soul with you.

I watch you kick in your sleep, dreaming the dreams dogs dream. I hope in your dreams you are young and free of pain and when you run you always beat the horses up the hill, tail wagging, waiting for me to join you, for that is how I will always see you.

My first dog, my friend, my Bear.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, sheadakota, nicely written. A very moving piece and I thank you for sharing it. Bear sounds like she was a truly special dog.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In high school I got a black lab/siberian husky mix I named Pavlov. Oh Pavvie, you were your own dog and nobody could tell you differently. You gave me 12 years of the best dog stories ever. But this is probably the grossest.

Visiting the parents one weekend (I was at college by then), I walked into my bedroom and Pav was on the floor. He looked up at me with that guilty-but-only-because-you-caught-me look. He might have gotten away with it if not for the pieces of green paper sticking out of his mouth.

I pried open his mouth and retrieved three of the $18 I had. Yep, he'd swallowed the ten and the five.

"Oh Dad, can I ask a favor?" Dad was a great sport about it, and although we never thought we'd see the money again, dear old Dad agreed to spray down the landmines in Pav's yard for a week after I went back to college. On the last day he was going to check, there they were.

If the question is ever asked in this forum about what happens to American paper money in the digestive system of a dog, I can provide a first-hand answer. It becomes brittle and discolored, but otherwise remains intact.

So intact, in fact, that the lady at the bank didn't hesitate when I took the bills to her to exchange. "Both serial numbers are there, so things look good."

"Great," I said once I had the new money safely in hand. "Those went through the dog and I wasn't sure you'd exchange them."

I left the bank with faint "Eewwwwws" behind me.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Let me add this: Arjun is now 11 years old, a hairy bouncy thing who looks just like a Bear! He is also scared of vacuum cleaners and will run a mile when we turn it on!
Whenever we go for a walk and pass people, inevitably passers-by will stop and ask what breed he is, or comment on how beautiful he is. He loves the attention!
He still looks like a puppy. I think he will go on forever.
Today, on a walk, we ran into a flock of sheep. One black sheep was very friendly, came up tp be stroked -- ARjun loved her! He began licker her all over her face, her bum, everything! Maybe he thought she was a doggie-girlfriend!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
In high school I got a black lab/siberian husky mix I named Pavlov. Oh Pavvie, you were your own dog and nobody could tell you differently. You gave me 12 years of the best dog stories ever. But this is probably the grossest.

Visiting the parents one weekend (I was at college by then), I walked into my bedroom and Pav was on the floor. He looked up at me with that guilty-but-only-because-you-caught-me look. He might have gotten away with it if not for the pieces of green paper sticking out of his mouth.

I pried open his mouth and retrieved three of the $18 I had. Yep, he'd swallowed the ten and the five.

"Oh Dad, can I ask a favor?" Dad was a great sport about it, and although we never thought we'd see the money again, dear old Dad agreed to spray down the landmines in Pav's yard for a week after I went back to college. On the last day he was going to check, there they were.

If the question is ever asked in this forum about what happens to American paper money in the digestive system of a dog, I can provide a first-hand answer. It becomes brittle and discolored, but otherwise remains intact.

So intact, in fact, that the lady at the bank didn't hesitate when I took the bills to her to exchange. "Both serial numbers are there, so things look good."

"Great," I said once I had the new money safely in hand. "Those went through the dog and I wasn't sure you'd exchange them."

I left the bank with faint "Eewwwwws" behind me.

Ah-ha-ha-ha!!! Great story, Chris. Thanks! LOL @ "those went through the dog."

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, sheadakota. Got a tear in my eye here.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I once had a Jack Russell/bull terrier mix. He had his left front leg missing from an RTA. So people fell in love as soon as they saw him, including me. I got him from the Dog's Home.

He loved to fight other dogs. It wasn't fear, or intimidation, or bullying. He just loved to scrap. When he saw another dog, his ears would go up, his tail would wag. And then he'd grab their ear in his teeth......

And he loved to chew stuff. Balls, bones, TV remotes, new shoes.....

And he learnt how to open the fridge. I watched him without him knowing. He lay down on the side with no leg, pushed his nose and other front paw under the fridge door and broke the seal. He was just about to help himself when I yelled at him. He jumped in the air and then wagged his tail like he was so pleased to see me!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I had a Bichon named Teddy (cuz he looked like a fluffy white teddy bear). He could open the back screen door with his nose. He'd just nuzzle it in there, pry it an inch open, widen the opening with his paw and body, and in he came (or out he went, depending). Damned if I could get him to close it behind him, though.

He also used to watch TV.

He was a funny wee doggy, my Teddy. Had to put him down last year at age 15.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
My husband found Ivan (Scavinski Scavar) when he was just a large ball of golden brown fluff. When he matured, Ivan was a beautiful dog - about 65 pounds, probably a collie-husky type mix with golden fur with darker accents, ears that almost stood up, and a magnificent curled tail. Ivan was my dog - and he was a sweetie.

Almost too sweet - so I started play fighting with him - he knew it was all in fun - Mom would roughhouse him and put her arms up to block his attacks. Great fun. One day my husband came out of the house and, I'm not sure what my husband did, but Ivan thought it was play time. My husband didn't know to block him and as a consequence lost the front of his suede jacket.

We have a creek at the back of our property and a hole deep enough to swim in on hot days. The three of us went back to the creek for a dip one day after work. All was fine until I decided to swim under water. Ivan went crazy. In his desperation to get to me he literally climbed over my husband (long scratches on hubby's stomach and back.) So, I decided that the best thing to do was take Ivan back to the house. As soon as we got out of the water, Ivan grabbed my hand in his mouth and wouldn't let go until we were back at the house.

I took Ivan through obedience school. He would not heel and the instructor finally said to let him lead - Ivan had to be out in front protecting me. Well, sometimes. We got to class early every time so there was some time to play around a bit before the class started. Ivan and I were practicing fast heel when that sucker cut in front of me and I went over his back. When I came up I grabbed him by the cheeks and made it clear in no uncertain terms he wasn't to do that.

Ivan loved everybody and everything. But he found out at obedience school that his attitude wasn't shared by all of the other dogs. The night of the first class a Norwegian Elkhound when after him. Two classes later, the elkhound dropped out and the new adversary became a Samoyed. After Ivan figured out the Samoyed had intentions of causing him bodily harm, it was a constant fight to keep the two of them from mixing it up. On graduation night, final exam, the instructors put Ivan and the Samoyed side by side in the center of the long line of dogs. Everything went fine until we got to the three minute down stay when we had to walk across the room away from the dogs. After about a minute Ivan's head came up and was followed by his front legs - he was sitting. Then the rear came up and he started looking around and saw the Samoyed. I didn't want any lawsuits, but I also wanted to try to be a calm owner, so I crouched down and softly said his name. Ivan came right to me and sat down beside me. AND - he passed obedience school, headstong though he was.

A couple years later our daughter was born. When we came home from the hospital Ivan raced to the car happy that Mom was home. I really can't describe his reaction when he discovered the baby in my arms, but it was joyful. We took our daughter in and put her in her crib. For the next week plus, Ivan only left his post under the crib when he absolutely had too. And for the first couple days, whenever our daughter made any noise, he'd race downstairs and grab my hand to make me go up to check her out.

What can I say. Ivan was one a kind, a dog that only comes along once in a lifetime. We've had many dogs since (have four now), but none can compare with that lovable hunk of golden brown fur. Puma

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I have a 50+ lb mutt named Tucker. He is 9yrs old and he is our baby. He loves everyone and doesn't fight with other dogs, but he has broken a few collars while trying to chase bunnies, cats, opposums, or any other country critter. He's very smart, but he is terrified of storms. He's a good watch dog. Barks at chain saws, lawn mowers, and weed eaters, though. He definitely has his own personality! We love him... :)

ChristyM

Registered
Reaction score
We went on vacation to visit relatives in NYC when I was eight and left my dog with my aunt, a town (including forests, rivers, beaches) away. The dog disappeared from my aunt's. Three days later, my mother received a call from our neighbor. Our dog had walked nine miles to our house (a journey she had only ever taken in a car) and was lying under a bush there. Its true!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
we never locked the back door when my dog was alive. hell, we never even closed it.

:)

In the sport of 'dogs against the odds' I'll tell you about my hubby's dog. He had a little pom cross years ago, and one night he just went all weird. limp and frightnened, he couldn't move right.

it tool about a week of tests to work out what was wrong with him. he had a blood clot that had lodged in his neck. the dog was paralyzed from the neck down and the vets wanted to put him down. they said he wouldn't last a week.

the family refused, and, seven years later, he eventually died in his own bed at home.

The little thing used to haul himself about by means of shuffling and dragging, and he pretty much had a full life, he would let you know when he wanted lifted, and where he wanted to go, and when he wanted left alone.

people said he should have been put down, but he loved his life, and he got so much from it it would have been a sin to put him down. the fact that he rolled around and tormented people for seven years afterwards says a lot about his character.

NinaK

On the Beach
Registered
Reaction score
I have an eighty five pound one year old Rhodesian Ridgeback, a real chuckle headed hound. Brody plays the piano by running his chin along the keys. If you’re in the next room it sounds like someone is practicing scales, sort of.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pav once caught and killed a small squirrel in the back yard. He didn't know what to do with it, so he buried in the rock garden, making a perfect little funeral cairn. It was a perfect rectangle, about three inches high all around and the edges were ruler-straight. Of course he dug it out again in a few days when it was all stinky and then tried to bring it everywhere.

Oh, which reminds me. Whenever he had something he wasn't supposed to bring inside, he'd stand at the back door with it in his mouth until one of us opened the door. We'd push him back and say "No, you can't bring that inside." So he'd set it down and then stare at us until one of us opened the door again. He'd grab it and try to run in with it, but we'd close the door with "No, Pav. It stays outside." Next he would place it about three feet away, and then come stand at the door. As soon as my hand was on the handle, he'd zip off and grab whatever it was. So I'd walk away and he'd put it about six feet away and then come back to the door and stare. He'd dash for it again as soon as he saw me coming, and this would go on until it was far enough away he couldn't get to it before I had the door open and called him.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fort Benton, Montana, is the farthest inland port in North America--over 3,500 miles from the Gulf of Mexico by flat-bottomed cargo boats.

It's the home of Montana's most famous monument to her most faithful dog.

http://www.fortbenton.com/shep/story.html

Nice thread, CaroGirl.