America's Next Top Writer

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cool if they made America's Next Top Writer? like the Talent show and the Idol show and all the rest. They have cooking, modeling, singing, dancing shows like that, why not for writing? They could even have someone read excerpts out loud and perhaps even a scene too? Wouldn't that be neat?

(and it doesn't necessarily hafta be just "America" but ya know what I mean?)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Not watch them, but listen to them read maybe? And even have people act out the scene? (Just excerpts as a taste)

I just think they have too many singing shows these days...just popped in my head.

Or maybe even the next top actor?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can see a "Writer's Commune" type reality show, where they put ten writers in a house somewhere and watch the drama unfold.

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
I think it probably wont be long I read somewhere they were going to do a 'Next top politician' show...

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
We had a thread just like this about three weeks ago, only it was to be based on American Idol. The idea comes up every now and then. General consensus is it won't work -- writing is just not telegenic. (Neither are writers btw.)
That's what writing contests are about,

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen a "reality-type" tv show that wasn't one more spin on 'people behaving badly for money'

Minus the money, my previous comment about PC&E stands.

Although, sociologically speaking... put ten writers in a secluded cabin somewhere and add an well-stocked open bar... and you could probably chart how quickly the rating goes from pg to triple x, in number of liters consumed...

:D

Throw in Erotica SYW and we're THERE!

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
Although, sociologically speaking... put ten writers in a secluded cabin somewhere and add an well-stocked open bar...
:D

*volunteers for inclusion in the cabin with a well-stocked bar*

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Not watch them, but listen to them read maybe? And even have people act out the scene? (Just excerpts as a taste)

And where would the person reading start? Beginning, middle or end? Who chooses where to start. What if the person reading does not like the text, would they perform as well?

I just think they have too many singing shows these .
days...just popped in my head.

A typical song is 3 to 4 minutes long, perfect for TV. You can't read much or know much about a book in 3-4 minutes, or if the rest of the book is good.

Or maybe even the next top actor?

And do you think the audience will remember the writer or the acting?

I hope to god they never have anything like this. We already have the Amazon contest and its nothing more than a popularity contest with very little weight on the merits of writing. IMHO of course...

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I even hate TV book shows. Nothing boring that a pile of people discussing books you haven't read' and if you have read them -- well, let's just say I prefer to read about books I've read, exchange opinions. A lot of blah-blah-blah spouted by "expert readers" doesn't excite me.