Postal Question: US to London

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If sending a letter from the US to England via snail mail, do I end the address with "United Kingdom" or "Great Britain" or "England"?

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Back when I was writing to someone over there, I usually wrote "UK," I think.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I always put UK on the SASE I put in with my snail mail queries. They all made it back.

Last edited:

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
It's more a question for the local (US) mail service, but I know they will all work from the US. If you go to counries speaking languages other than English, then you sometimes need to be more careful.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, the name is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. But you'll probably run out of envelope space.

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
I think technically, under IPU style it's 'Great Britain' but I almost exclusively see 'United Kingdom'.

The problem with 'Northern Ireland' is it risks a miss-sort to the Republic of Ireland. In the same way 'Cook Islands' is sometimes miss-sorted as 'Cork, Ireland'.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I use United Kingdom. Make sure you drop down a line in printing or typing so that it stands alone. And you'll have to fill out one of the customs forms at the counter if it's a large envelope. They just created (yet another) new customs form, so if you had some stocked that you've been using--like I did--it's changed again. Sigh...

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, back when AW had auctions and I sent a split prize to someone in Texas and someone in the UK, the UK one got there first by several days.

I'm pretty sure I used United Kingdom and I'm positive I placed it on its own line.

Maryn, detail-oriented at times

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I've always written UK but to be sure, call the post office.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Here's a curious thing. When my agent's assistant first sent me the contracts to sign -- New York to UK -- they never arrived. It was very awkward, because I was waiting for them and waiting and I didn't know whether to nudge or not. Finally the assitant nudged and it was cleared up; she sent them by email, I signed and posted Recorded Mail on a Tuesday; by Friday they had not arrived. Sent again on Saturday, this time by normal mail. They arived on the following Monday!

And again I've been waiting for my copy to be returned. Hasn't come. Nudged today; she sent it on 17th May. I don't know whose postal service is at fault, the US or the UK. But it's very strange.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I think technically, under IPU style it's 'Great Britain' but I almost exclusively see 'United Kingdom'.

The problem with 'Northern Ireland' is it risks a miss-sort to the Republic of Ireland. In the same way 'Cook Islands' is sometimes miss-sorted as 'Cork, Ireland'.

Really? I've never had that happen and I've been sending mail there since the early 1980's!!

lachel

Registered
Reaction score
London, and then on another line UK. For some reason, I always underline UK a few times, because that's how I've seen everyone else do it.

Do you need help with post codes? They're similar to zip codes in the US, but organized a bit differently. Every borough of London has a 2 or 3 character code, and then there's a 3 character code that's even more specific that comes after. If you know the borough that the letter is being sent to, you can just google "postal code for ---" and it will tell you. I don't know quite how the second 3 digit code works, but I do know that it's both letters and numbers.

lachel

Registered
Reaction score
I always do this to make sure the US post office immediately recognizes it as international mail.

LOL, for some reason, I have this superstition that it's really important. I stand there with pen poised, thinking "now what does this REALLY accomplish?" or a "hee hee, I'll show them! I won't underline!" and then I always do it anyway. Better safe than sorry.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
If sending a letter from the US to England via snail mail, do I end the address with "United Kingdom" or "Great Britain" or "England"?

UK or United Kingdom is usually fine.

Don't use England unless you are sending it to england, in which case it's fine.

I usually write England. Stuff's gotten there every time.

Again, england is just one of FOUR countries that make up the UK - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. - they aren't even all on the same landmass, so just writing England might cause problems.

I've always written UK but to be sure, call the post office.

In my experience (and I do alot of international posting through work) you can use UK or the country (england, scotland etc) the MAIN thing is that you use the postcode, that narrows down the address to the street it's on.

skylark

Registered
Reaction score

My brother used to repeatedly get very late mail which had gone via Australia until he started asking people to add "EUROPE" to the end of his address. He lives in Austria.

I don't know how universal it is, but I was taught to always put a country name in an address in block capitals.