Romance vs. Chic Lit vs. same genre??

Status
Not open for further replies.

live4today

Registered
Reaction score
Hello short story writers!

I am trying to break into the short story market by entering a few contests, etc. Actually, entered my first a few days ago (a legit one from what my research told me). My end goal is to start building a reputation prior to finishing the full-length novel I am working on.

My question is regarding the genres. My writing is not so much "romance" per se in the traditional sense, but rather "chic lit". I've read disputes as to whether Chic Lit is even a true genre, a sub-genre, or even exists...

My question is, when submitting to a contest, would submitting my stories under "romance" genre be correct? I'm thinking it is since "chic lit" could be a sub-genre, correct? Yes? No?

Thanks!

Denise

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would say that if 50% or more of the plot is about a romance relationship, yes--otherwise, probably not.

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
I would suggest you (a) stop worrying about genre - if your market is chic-lit, call it that - if it's romance, call it romance instead, and more important, if you want to establish a reputation, (b) stop entering contests. They are for the most part a one way ticket to nowhere and seriously restrict your chances of getting into print.

Aim for publication, find mags that take the kind of stories you write (storypilot.com is a good starting point) and get published. Get your name in print.

live4today

Registered
Reaction score
Hey - thanks to both of you!

And Mike - I appreciate your candor, flat-out honesty, and the lead. Points taken and tattooed to my brain.

Thanks again.

Denise

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Genre

From my reading, romance and chic lit are not at all the same thing. At least usually. But I agree with Mike. While there are a handful of contests out there that are very good for writers, and that winning can get a writer's name out there in a great way, such contests are very few and very far between. The vast majority of contests are a complete waste of time, effort, and money.

And in all honesty, a short story that's good enough to win a major contest is also good enough to find a home in a major magazine.

I'd also say the best way to handle a novel is by writing the novel. The only sane reason to write short stories is because you really and truly enjoy writing short stories. It's true enough that having good short story credits, or winning one of the few major short story contests, and make an agent or editor give you a faster read, any novel you write is going to have to stand or fall on its own merit. And writing short stories for any reason other than the love of writing them is probably not going to result in the greatest of short stories.

live4today

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, James. I've read many of your posts and you sure know the business.

Your observations on romance/chic lit were similar to mine - they are very different. I don't write syrupy romance stories, I write about women facing tough issues, friendships, etc. I love "Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood" and books like that.

Thanks for the encouragement, and I'm going to focus on my novel and will write a short story for submission as "great" ideas pop into my head.

Thanks!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Chick lit (and Lad lit) are hitting territory that is outside what would be called romance. It is becoming a somewhat diverse area connecting with romance, saga and mainstream. But if the sory is mainly about a love relationship it can generally be called romance even if written with a chick lit sensibility.

katrinka

Registered
Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Here's a link to an article that does a good job of defining Chick Lit.
http://www.citypaper.com/special/story.asp?id=5972
Here's an excerpt:
Chick Lit is often confused with romance literature, but it has little to do with bodice-rippers and frothy historical pas de deux. Its roots are in books like Mary McCarthy's The Group, Helen Gurley Brown's Sex and the Single Girl, Rona Jaffe's Best of Everything, and Nora Ephron's Heartburn: works that linked the touchstones of their eras--white-gloved marriages, career girls, the Pill, divorce--to the women.

Hope this helps!
Marie

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Romance

I think, when talking romance, you need to think about how romance is defined in the writing world. Chic lit has nothing in common with romance as Harlequin and Silhouette and Pocket define it. A love story and romance aren't usually at all the same thing in the writing world.

live4today

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again to all of you. I've got more reading to do, but know that most of my writing definitely does not fall into true "romance". I appreciate you sharing your time and thoughts!

Denise

Status
Not open for further replies.