PDA

View Full Version : A Game of Thrones Mega Thread (No Book Discussion)

Zoombie
06-08-2011, 01:26 AM
So, this is for discussion WITHOUT spoilers so the regular GOT thread can get spolierific.

I'm doing this because I reflexively click a thread if Parametric posts in it. I haven't gotten to see the show yet, but everything I've heard sounds AWESOME ON TOAST.

ChaosTitan
06-08-2011, 01:46 AM
Um, how do you propose to discuss a show you haven't seen yet, without using any kind of spoilers? You can't talk about something you haven't seen, and you can't find out anything about it without reading spoilers.

I'm truly trying to understand the point of this thread.

Parametric
06-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Um, how do you propose to discuss a show you haven't seen yet, without using any kind of spoilers? You can't talk about something you haven't seen, and you can't find out anything about it without reading spoilers.

I'm truly trying to understand the point of this thread.

There are a ton of users watching this TV series, some of whom are book readers (like me) and would like to have a spoiler discussion, and some of whom are first-timers and desperately want not to be spoiled. Thus far we've all been cohabiting in the Game of Thrones Mega Thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121573), but people are getting inadvertently spoiled. Hence two threads - a spoiler discussion and a no-spoilers discussion. Hope that's okay, Chaos. :)

ChaosTitan
06-08-2011, 01:54 AM
That's a much better reason that Zoombie's inability to resist clicking on your posts. ;)

Carry on.

BunnyMaz
06-08-2011, 04:09 AM
So long as we refer to Oakenpecs by that name henceforth I think I'll be joining this thread. Only read the first book so far and am quite happy not to be a spoilermonkey. I was much more at risk of being spoiled than giving spoilers, anyhow!

Libbie
06-08-2011, 06:06 AM
I promise to be totally spoiler-free in this thread, except that I do second the motion that we continue to refer to Khal Drogo as Khal Horsehung Oakenpecs.

Now I am going to re-watch the latest episode while I clean. Huzzah!

third person
06-08-2011, 06:23 AM
I promise to be totally spoiler-free in this thread, except that I do second the motion that we continue to refer to Khal Drogo as Khal Horsehung Oakenpecs.

Now I am going to re-watch the latest episode while I clean. Huzzah!

A book-reading in-the-knower in our territory! She's a spy—a Dornish spy! *fetches spear*

Libbie
06-08-2011, 04:17 PM
*points accusingly* ah-HAH! How do you know the Dornish fight with spears...UNLESS YOU ARE ALSO A BOOK-READER?!

J'ACCUSE!

regdog
06-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Word of advice from someone who knows, do not Google a character if they're mentioned here and you can't remember who they are. You'll ruin any surprises that are forthcoming.

Zoombie, I've never read the books, but I'm loving the series, it's a must see.

third person
06-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Word of advice from someone who knows, do not Google a character if they're mentioned here and you can't remember who they are. You'll ruin any surprises that are forthcoming.

Zoombie, I've never read the books, but I'm loving the series, it's a must see.

This is a helpful spoiler-free chart of who's who and who they're related to. (http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Game-of-Thrones-Houses-infographic-Westeros-101-f.jpg) Hoo!

Parametric
06-08-2011, 08:34 PM
I recommend The Tower of the Hand (http://www.towerofthehand.com/) as a reference site for first-timers. It has a great feature called scope where you can set the number of books you've read to avoid being spoiled. The scope is set by default to "no books read", so you can remind yourself who Benjen Stark is without fear of spoilers.

DavidZahir
06-08-2011, 08:54 PM
This is not a spoiler. Really. Especially since I don't know anything, nor does anyone (probably) other than Martin. But I'm surprised so little mention has been made of a mystery that seemed to me loomed large from day one.

Whose child is Jon Snow really? Ned Stark never told him one word about his mother, but promised near the start of the series he would tell the lad "everything" when next they saw one another. Under the circumstances (even more vividly clear at the moment) that would likely take some time, if ever. As a storyteller that set off alarms. Coupled with this...

Is Ned Stark really the kind of man to cheat on his wife? Think about that for a moment. And in that context, it really seems odd to me that he'd send Jon to the Wall. Why? Why not have him fostered by some great friend, like Jon Arryn or King Robert? As long as Jon Snow was at Winterfell, his existence was like a thorn in Catelyn's side. Is Ned Stark really the kind of man to cause his wife unnecessary pain? Well, is he?

I'm not claiming to know who Jon Snow's parents are. Ned Stark told him "You are my blood" and I believe him on that. But somehow, I doubt beyond words that Ned is Jon's father. Which leaves four other possibilities--Ned's father, one of his two brothers, or Ned's sister.

Something to think on...

Libbie
06-08-2011, 09:12 PM
It's true that Ned doesn't seem like the kind of guy to cheat on his wife. On the other hand, the characters in these books tend to surprise the reader by having very human moments of weakness, or by having sides to themselves that they don't reveal to too many people. soooooooo...who knows! ;)

(I have my own as-good-as-certain ideas about Jon Snow's family, and I have every confidence that they will be proven right by future books at every level of detail. I'm that much of a nerdo over ASOIAF.)

Manuel Royal
06-09-2011, 12:03 AM
I've thought about that. (And have managed to avoid seeing spoilers about it.)

If Ned Stark had come back from King's Landing (after the war that ended with Robert on the throne) bringing a child with no explanation of why, it might lead to questions.

But -- saying the child is a bastard, born of a mistress, attracts no attention. They're probably commonplace. (I did read somewhere that in Winterfell, "Snow" is the name given to children of no official parentage.)

So -- possibly the truth of Jon Snow's real parentage, if known, would be of import to more people than just him and Ned.

Libbie
06-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Yes, in the Game of Thrones milieu, all the various land holdings have "bastard names" for those born without respectable family names. They usually have something to do with the geography or "tourist attractions" of the area -- Snow, Rivers, Flowers, Stone, Sand, etc. It's kind of a cool construct. I wonder whether that's based on a real medieval practice. I know we still have "bastard" surnames surviving today. Aren't the "Fitz" prefixes indicative of bastardy? I can't remember. And I am too lazy to Google.

DavidZahir
06-09-2011, 05:58 AM
I've thought about that. (And have managed to avoid seeing spoilers about it.)There are no spoilers on this subject. We. Don't. Know.

But, based on some background material that eventually comes to light, a lot of folks have a theory about Jon Snow's parents. Me, I think the theory plausible but am confident Martin could surprise us all.

Libbie
06-09-2011, 06:04 AM
There are no spoilers on this subject. We. Don't. Know.

Well...we don't know, but in my opinion the "hints" that are in the book are pretty darn explicit. But they are subtle, and whiz right by you, and most people only pick all of them up on re-reads. Martin is a sly devil. But the hints are there, spread through several books, and they all corroborate one another. So I'd be really surprised if my little pet theory isn't correct. Which I have been espousing, by the way, for YEARS on fandom forums, and was previously laughed at and booed and hissed for believing. Now everybody else is onboard with me. Harumph!

(I read a review of A Dance With Dragons, and apparently far more obvious "hints" about Jon Snow's parentage are in that book.)

mscelina
06-09-2011, 06:04 AM
Here's my guess.

When Ned stood up to Robert against killing Danerys and her unborn child, he protested against the killing of children--and the Mad King's children were slaughtered in the nursery by Papa Lannister save the two that got away, yes?

Well, what if Ned saved one? What if somehow, the child's mother rescued him and gave him to Ned to smuggle out of King's Landing?

Yeah, I know. I doubt it. He did mention a girl's name when he and the King were eating outside early in the show. (a name I have since forgotten) But, considering how strict Ned is about his honor, I'm thinking he'd be more likely to save an otherwise doomed child, a child that would prove a threat to the security of his friend's throne, than to cheat on his wife who's pregnant back home with their firstborn. Just a thought.

Libbie
06-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm! That would be veeerrrry interesting. It would be in keeping with Ned's character to do something like that. ;)

thothguard51
06-09-2011, 06:15 AM
And its a good thought. But maybe too easy for Martin...

DavidZahir
06-09-2011, 06:51 AM
He did mention a girl's name when he and the King were eating outside early in the show. (a name I have since forgotten)Wylla.

Parametric
06-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Here's my guess.

When Ned stood up to Robert against killing Danerys and her unborn child, he protested against the killing of children--and the Mad King's children were slaughtered in the nursery by Papa Lannister save the two that got away, yes?

Well, what if Ned saved one? What if somehow, the child's mother rescued him and gave him to Ned to smuggle out of King's Landing?

Yeah, I know. I doubt it. He did mention a girl's name when he and the King were eating outside early in the show. (a name I have since forgotten) But, considering how strict Ned is about his honor, I'm thinking he'd be more likely to save an otherwise doomed child, a child that would prove a threat to the security of his friend's throne, than to cheat on his wife who's pregnant back home with their firstborn. Just a thought.

Those murdered children (actually the Mad King's grandchildren) were Rhaenys (daughter) and Aegon (son) (http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#%21/guide/houses/targaryen/). So in your scenario, Jon would be Aegon Targaryen, the heir to the throne, with a better claim even than Daenerys. That would certainly explain why Ned is so keen to hide his identity.

Let's all take a moment to appreciate the irony of Jon the bastard turning out to be the legitimate heir to the throne. :tongue

DavidZahir
06-10-2011, 03:29 AM
According to Targaryan custom, then, he should marry Danaerys!

Okay, on another subject--we all see the parallels with the Wars of the Roses, right? Consider some of the characters and how they correlate...

Edward IV = brilliant warlord and general who didn't know what to do with himself in peace, fell to drinking and womanizing. Eldest of three surviving brothers. Robert Barantheon yes?
Richard of York = leader of one side, who balked at the last moment from seizing the throne from Henry VI and thus condemned himself and one of his sons ultimately to death. Ned Stark.
Queen Margaret of Anjou = cruel, strong, fanatically devoted to her son. Cersei?
Earl of Warwick, the Kingmaker = wealthiest man in the realm, given to schemes and ruthless use of his own children as pawns. Tywin Lannister.
Richard III = third of a set of royal siblings, deformed and so despised. Okay do we really need to mention who this is?

It isn't one-on-one though. For example, Richard III wasn't really interested in women but only in power ("Love foreswore me in my mother's womb"). More, while brilliant at getting the throne had no notion at all (at least in Shakespeare's play) of what to do with it. He made a terrible king for that reason. Reminds me of Cersei, honestly. The real Richard Gloster, on the other hand, comes across as more like Ned Stark--a dour individual devoted to his friends and family, betrayed in the end by other lords. He was even called the "Lord of the North"!

DreamWeaver
06-11-2011, 01:04 AM
Is this no book at all, or can I bring up something from early in the first book, that we're already past in the TV series?

Libbie
06-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Is this no book at all, or can I bring up something from early in the first book, that we're already past in the TV series?

Hmmm...my understanding is that since it's already happened in the TV series, it would be fair for discussion. But I don't know. You could always private-message one of us superfans and ask for a no-spoilers explanation/discussion if you're not sure, I guess.

third person
06-13-2011, 11:37 AM
THIS SHOW IS SO HARDCORE, GRITTY AND "REALISTIC" IT LEAVES ME IN ABSOLUTE, JAW-DROPPED AWE.

amlptj
06-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Just noticed this thread! I LOVE THE SHOW... just watched the latest episode!!! Too much insane stuff happened for me to mention all the amazingness!!!

DavidZahir
06-14-2011, 04:51 AM
Trailer for next week, the season finale...having read the book I can say you WILL be amazed.

http://youtu.be/4FpMUdteYBM (http://youtu.be/4FpMUdteYBM)

Oh, and did folks recognize who plays Lord Walder Frey? Here's a hint--his most famous character lives at Hogwarts, with his cat.

third person
06-14-2011, 05:41 AM
How can a show where the end of each episode is a "shit just got real moment" (thank you Ms Ginger Clark) be beat? It can't. HBO is fully forgiven for canceling Carnivale.

katiemac
06-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Well, damn. Just watched the episode, and despite seeing it a day late with all the hype of "best episode ever," I was really impressed.

And can Peter Dinklage win an Emmy, please? Okay, thanks.

dragonjax
06-14-2011, 06:18 PM
And can Peter Dinklage win an Emmy, please?

This, times a gazillion.

katiemac
06-14-2011, 06:57 PM
I think I'm most interested in learning how this change affects Sansa, which is interesting, because she's been my most disliked character prior. Obviously it's a major turning point for everyone, but I'm really curious how it's going to change her.

Manuel Royal
06-14-2011, 07:24 PM
When the call to battle came, I was thinking how neatly we'd been led to a point where we had very sympathetic characters on both sides of what might be a fight to the death.

Then found I'd been faked out, along with the Lannisters. And I was hoping Robb wouldn't be stupid enough to agree to Jaime's request to decide matters by single combat.

Interesting to find out that Ser Jorah is the son of Jeor Mormont, the Night's Watch commander; and that Master Aemon is a Targaryen. (And I have to keep looking up those names.)

DavidZahir
06-14-2011, 07:35 PM
One of the things I look for in a good story is that the characters' roles change. That was something I loved about Babylon 5 for example. The villain might turn out to be closer to a hero, while the hero might do something villainous. So far Game of Thrones has shown precisely that sort of thing. All but the worst characters seem to have complexity about them. Indeed, I can only think of two without some facet of what might be a sympathetic side (one of them is Joffrey--a nascent psychopath who makes Draco Malfoy look like Neville Longbottom).

dmytryp
06-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Who's the second?

Parametric
06-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Gregor Clegane, the Mountain?

robeiae
06-14-2011, 10:08 PM
I think I'm most interested in learning how this change affects Sansa, which is interesting, because she's been my most disliked character prior. Obviously it's a major turning point for everyone, but I'm really curious how it's going to change her.

All things considered, I can't see the point in keeping her alive. I'd think Joffrey or his mom would just have her taken care of...

ETA: And I still can't find a sympathetic side to Jaime...

katiemac
06-14-2011, 10:16 PM
All things considered, I can't see the point in keeping her alive. I'd think Joffrey or his mom would just have her taken care of...

ETA: And I still can't find a sympathetic side to Jaime...

Maybe Joffrey does actually like her? She was certainly worth more alive when Ned was, but now, she's likely more of a bargaining chip for the Lannisters with Rob and Caitlin.

robeiae
06-14-2011, 10:27 PM
If I'm Rob, I'm not looking to bargain anymore. But yeah, she could be offered for Jaime, I guess.

dmytryp
06-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Gregor Clegane, the Mountain?
Well, he barely appears in the series. There are several minor characters in the book that have no real depth.

dmytryp
06-14-2011, 10:40 PM
If I'm Rob, I'm not looking to bargain anymore. But yeah, she could be offered for Jaime, I guess.
Remember, Starks don't know Arya is Sercei's hands.
Sansa might not be a major asset alive (though, she is an asset), but dead she is nothing.
P.S. You forget that Rob is not alone. Keitilin has a say and others who lost their sons and husbands or had them captured also have things to say about freeing Jamie.

DavidZahir
06-14-2011, 11:35 PM
The other utterly vile major character would have to be The Mountain, Gregor Clegane. He comes across as someone real, with a very definite personality, but (unlike, for example, his brother) without a trace of humane feeling we can see.

Jaime Lannister at least seems able to love--not just his sister but his brother. He has something like a twisted sense of honor (his refusal to simply cut down Ned Stark for example) and even enough of a conscience to kill the Mad King when he had the chance, and own up to having done it. He has done terrible things, but he isn't the sociopath his son and the Mountain seem to be.

Camilla Delvalle
06-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Doesn't Viserys also count? He is totally selfish and creepy. He didn't kill anyone, but that was only because he didn't have the power to do so. Though he does what he can to hurt Dany and Doreah.

One could feel a bit pity for him because he doesn't get what they promised him, but then his expectations were monstrously large. How much pity can one feel for someone who whines about not being made king?

regdog
06-15-2011, 10:08 PM
I just saw Episode 9 and may I say, HOLY SHIT

I didn't really like the first couple of episodes and I am so glad I've stuck with this series.

DavidZahir
06-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Doesn't Viserys also count? He is totally selfish and creepy. He didn't kill anyone, but that was only because he didn't have the power to do so. Though he does what he can to hurt Dany and Doreah.Ultimately, I found there was something kinda pathetic about him--stunted and warped rather than absent. He could, for example, actually have a pleasant chat with someone and enjoy their company. When he forgot himself for a few moments or so, he could be charming and even sympathetic. More, one felt that when he 'went off' Viserys did so out of genuine (albeit petty) wounded vanity and venting his frustrations. He was selfish and capable of cruelty, but he didn't go out of his way to be cruel (as Joffrey and The Mountain seem to). One gets the impression he might have made a flawed but okay younger prince if he'd found some genuine friends back on Westeros. Fifteen years of holding onto what pride he could while selling off his possessions and having to be "The Dragon" did nothing at all good for his personality.

katiemac
06-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Took that girl long enough to set those eggs on fire!

Libbie
06-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Yeah. In the book it's played up quite a lot about how they are extremely rare gems, the only known remaining petrified dragon eggs, and how they look really spectacular, and are valuable for their appearance. So every time she's tried to heat them up people have freaked out that she'll ruin them. :)

mscelina
06-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Gerard Butler? GERARD BUTLER????

*sighs*

Okay. Now I'm totally hooked. Nom

mscelina
06-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Okay. Over the Gerard Butler moment. Fabulous episode--sets up for next season beautifully.

third person
06-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Final scene: ...

That's me being speechless at the utter awesomeness. Now that the season is done (cries) I'll have to pick up book one. But daaaaaaaamn. Baby was just like, chilling in the ashes like "Told ya'll I'm part DRAGON" with her three wittle cutesey flamiebreaths. And then the lil dude on her shoulder actually spread his wings and was all like, "MY MAMA GONNA RULE THIS SHIT! RECOGNIZE!"

Sigh. I love this damn series to bits. Spring 2012 is an eternity away...

SPMiller
06-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Who is Gerard Butler, and when did he appear in Game of Thrones? All I see is a bunch of threads about an IMDB edit.

third person
06-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Gerard Butler = THIS! IS! SPARTA!

And I think I may have missed him. Too busy trying to find my jaw, which dropped to the floor halfway into the episode.

Libbie
06-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Apparently Gerard Butler has NOT been cast as Stannis for next season. That's a terrible internets lie. :( Bummer -- he's a good actor, if you ignore his goofery in 300 (which was script and director's fault, not his.)

regdog
06-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Go, Daenerys, take your dragons, your Dothraki and kick ass in the Seven Kingdoms

katiemac
06-20-2011, 06:32 PM
So if Dany can withstand heat and fire thanks to her ancestral dragon blood, are we to believe her brother got the non-fiery genes (hot gold to his head - "he was no dragon")? How far do we think Dany's tolerance actually extends?

(Also, if there's a book explanation, I'm not really interested. Just want to go on so far what the show as given.)

Manuel Royal
06-20-2011, 06:51 PM
The last scene was what I expected, but still awesome. I love when a character loses everything, and then goes in an entirely different direction.

Drogo's end was actually sad. At the same time, I'm in favor of Khal-killing, and was entirely sympathetic with the healer woman. One of the most heroic characters yet.

DavidZahir
06-20-2011, 08:51 PM
My own impression--based on what we see in the series--is that not just any fire would hatch the eggs. It probably had to be a Targaryan who lit it, and not just any member of that House. She was burning the man she loved, with a witch who killed her unborn child, in two circles of flame, and methinks Danaerys herself had to enter the fire to accomplish it. One clue is the "life for a life." I count three--Drogo, Rhaego, and the Witch. Three lives for three dragons. Man, Woman, Child. One living, one dead, one never-having-lived. Remember also that Danaerys is called "Stormborn," and the series website notes that she was born during a huge storm and her mother died. A life for a life? She seems to be a Chosen One of some kind...

Here's another clue--the name of the book series. A Song of ICE and FIRE. The long winter is coming--and the White Walker are awake. Now DRAGONS live again in the world.

Meanwhile, politicians and warlords bicker over who sits on the Iron Throne.

Libbie
06-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Go, Daenerys, take your dragons, your Dothraki and kick ass in the Seven Kingdoms

Well, she's only got like 20 Dothraki right now. But don't worry, she's resourceful.

Libbie
06-20-2011, 09:02 PM
So if Dany can withstand heat and fire thanks to her ancestral dragon blood, are we to believe her brother got the non-fiery genes (hot gold to his head - "he was no dragon")? How far do we think Dany's tolerance actually extends?

(Also, if there's a book explanation, I'm not really interested. Just want to go on so far what the show as given.)

There isn't any explanation given in the books -- at least not so far. The most explanation a reader ever gets is what you got in the show: Dany watching Viserys kick the bucket and saying, "Fire cannot kill a dragon." Dany's apparent resistance to extreme heat is one of the only occurrences (thus far) of "magic" in the entire series.

The last scene was what I expected, but still awesome. I love when a character loses everything, and then goes in an entirely different direction.

I also thought the last scene was awesome, although I felt it lacked the tension and excitement of the same scene in the books. Still a great scene either way, but it definitely played out differently in a visual medium.

DreamWeaver
06-20-2011, 11:06 PM
I kind of assumed her ability to withstand fire was linked to whatever magic was involved in hatching the dragon eggs--sort of a one-time good deal. That's just my guess, though.

katiemac
06-21-2011, 12:30 AM
I kind of assumed her ability to withstand fire was linked to whatever magic was involved in hatching the dragon eggs--sort of a one-time good deal. That's just my guess, though.

True. In one of the first few episodes, she touched one of the hot dragon eggs and didn't scald. She also walked through hot water in the first episode, which at first I took to be just a sign of unfeeling from despair, but now may signify much more.

thothguard51
06-21-2011, 01:28 AM
Yes, I felt that first episode of Dani in the hot tub, (so to speak), was her despair from the pending arranged marriage.

DavidZahir
06-21-2011, 03:11 AM
A lovely interview with Natalia Tena, aka Osha on Game of Thrones (and of course Tonks in Harry Potter): http://youtu.be/9T0MD9I2PrY

kkwrites
06-23-2011, 04:17 AM
Ah!! How am I supposed to wait 9 more months for the second season?

I suppose reading Dance with Dragons is a good start...of course that will only keep me occupied for a week.

kkwrites
06-23-2011, 04:17 AM
A lovely interview with Natalia Tena, aka Osha on Game of Thrones (and of course Tonks in Harry Potter): http://youtu.be/9T0MD9I2PrY

I'll be damned. I didn't make that connection until just now.

DavidZahir
06-23-2011, 08:09 PM
There are the Hedge Knight stories. These are a few stories set in the same world but about seventy-five years before the events of A Game of Thrones, in the wake of the Blackfyre Rebellion (when a favorite Targaryan bastard tried to usurp the throne and another--an albino rumored to be a sorceror--was Hand). They deal with a 'hedge knight' (duh), i.e. a wandering knight permanently attached to no single lord, named Duncan the Tall and his young squire.

Myself, I thought the scalding hot water was a sign more than anything that Danaerys is made of very strong stuff indeed--not her flesh but her mind and will and soul. What happened with the funeral pyre was the stuff of magic and destiny more than anything else. Winter is coming, the long winter of legendary nightmare. The White Walkers have awoken. Is it any wonder then that Dragons have returned to the world?

Just a quick recap of lovely dangling plotlines...

Tyrion has been sent to King's Landing to tame young Joffrey. Two women might react very differently to this fact--Cersei and Sansa.
Jaime Lannister has been captured by the Starks right after Ned Stark was legally murdered by Joffrey. Yet neither Caitlyn nor Robb are particularly cruel people, nor are they stupid enough to simply throw away a hostage.
Both Barantheon brothers know the truth about Joffrey's parentage. Anybody doubt they're gonna shout it to the rooftops?
What with the Night Watch find north of the Wall?
Arya has seemingly disappeared, as far as the almost everyone is concerned.
Winterfell is now held by a crippled little boy and his even younger brother--both of whom seem to be having prophetic dreams.
Sooner or later folks are going to see this odd group of Dothraki and others following a beautiful pale girl who has living dragons--imagine the rumors that'll start flying in every direction! World-spanning religions have begun with less!
Theon Greyjoy of the Iron Islands still wants to prove himself.
Something twisted is going on the Aerie still, and Caitlyn's sister is up to her eyebrows in it.
Does anybody think we've heard the last of Lord Frey--and would you turn your back on him?

dragonjax
06-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Just a quick recap of lovely dangling plotlines...

Don't forget the big one: Who killed Jon Arryn, Robert's previous Hand? The Lannisters were suspected and even accused by some, but no one has fessed up.

BunnyMaz
06-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Hmmm... can I throw in an immensely UPG theory on the Arryn death?

I think it was [SPOILERED] Caitlyn's sister. We know she is crazy protective of her boy and that she didn't want him being fostered away from her. And it seems to me that someone that batshit might kill their already old, decrepit husban for the sake of their son. [END SPOILER]

JC Romel
06-24-2011, 01:04 AM
True. In one of the first few episodes, she touched one of the hot dragon eggs and didn't scald. She also walked through hot water in the first episode, which at first I took to be just a sign of unfeeling from despair, but now may signify much more.

George has actually been asked about this a lot, and has been for years before the show was ever conceived. People are under the assumption that Dany is simply immune to fire or heat, or at least has some kind of superhuman tolerance of it. Now that the show has hinted to her invulnerability, more people seem to believe this. But it is NOT true--at least in the novels--that Dany is impervious to fire or heat.

Surviving the funeral pyre was a one-time event.

JC Romel
06-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Oh, and as for my thoughts on the series (how have I missed this thread for so long??), I thought it was brilliant. I went in with moderate expectations, and was pleasantly surprised. I knew it couldn't operate on the scale or scope that Rome did (which, given that series' fate, is a good thing), but I hoped they found clever ways to maximize their TV budget, and that's precisely what they did.

I know leaving out the battle was a big downer for some fans, but if they weren't going to be able to pull it off, then why degrade the quality of the show? Just skip it and give us something else. I would much rather them invest that money in giving us awesome dragons, and that's exactly what they did. That was the make-or-break moment of the show, in my opinion; if those dragons looked like crap, it's a wrap.

My only complaint was pacing. There were some episodes that jumped around too quickly, crammed too much into short scenes and acts, compressed scenes that could have been longer, and let some scenes run too long that could have been shortened (the flat, awkward Littlefinger monologue comes to mind).They remedied this for the last two episodes of the season, which is a great sign, but with a second season only running 10 episodes, I'm concerned that HBO might be compounding the series' only major issue.

Everything else is great. Sean Bean and Mark Addy were excellent, Jason Momoa should go down in TV history for his "gift" speech, and I'm going to miss all three dearly. Obviously Maisie Williams and Peter Dinklage are owning this series, but everyone is doing their part. Lena Headey is perfect, and, honestly, I'm a little gay for Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. The cast is great, is my point. haha.

DavidZahir
06-24-2011, 08:41 PM
News! The first major casting for season two is announced! (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/23/game-of-thrones-casting/) Natalie Dorner, best known as Anny Boleyn in the cable series The Tudors, will be joining Game of Thrones next season. Her role is Margaery Tyrell (the Tyrells are something like the opposite number of the Starks--lords of the South, their sigil a golden rose), pledged to marry Renly Barantheon. Yeah, that Renly. Married. To a woman. Without going into details, she turns out to be a major player in the Game of Thrones.

dragonjax
06-24-2011, 08:58 PM
...Jason Momoa should go down in TV history for his "gift" speech...

This. Times eleventy billion.

third person
07-18-2011, 11:16 AM
The best thing about us non-book-readers is everything is fresh to us and will be a guaranteed shock. NEVER have I seen two major characters in a show die in the first season. It just blew my mind. I was in denial for a week that Eddard was really dead. And I know, from what I've been hearing about this book series, that this sort of thing happens A LOT. And for that very reason I can't read the damned books because I want to be surprised and shocked and NOT know what's going to happen in season 2. It's tearing me the hell apart. That the latest book has actually polarized the fanbase wants me to pick it up and see what happened at the infamous you-know-what. DAMNIT.

:(

I'll have to exercise restraint. And that is in direct conflict with my impulsive nature.

Libbie
07-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Oh, has the latest book polarized us? I have been so busy for the past couple of weeks that the only people I've talked to about it have been my friends. I'm only about 1/3 of the way in, and so far it's blowing my mind. So totally worth waiting six years for this! The story just keeps getting more amazing. (Plus, I finally like Jon Snow. He was one of my least favorite characters, but ADWD has made me appreciate him.)

"This kind of thing" definitely does happen all throughout the book. Nobody is guaranteed safe in ASOIAF, and that gives it a sense of REAL peril and urgency that other fantasy lacks (for me, anyway) because the typical fantasy formula states that your Good Guy must prevail in the end...and in order to prevail, obviously he has to stay alive.

This kind of thing definitely makes one feel more fear for the Good Guy (if anybody is a Good Guy at all) and makes it feel like they're really racing against forces to accomplish an actual goal that matters...not like they're racing against the fantasy formula to kill Sauron, yawn.

What is the infamous you-know-what? The Red Wedding? That doesn't happen until near the end of A Storm of Swords, the third book. You've only got about eight months until the next HBO season airs, and that will cover A Clash of Kings...you should be find if you read A Game of Thrones fairly soon. :)

maxmordon
07-19-2011, 02:16 AM
Yes, in the Game of Thrones milieu, all the various land holdings have "bastard names" for those born without respectable family names. They usually have something to do with the geography or "tourist attractions" of the area -- Snow, Rivers, Flowers, Stone, Sand, etc. It's kind of a cool construct. I wonder whether that's based on a real medieval practice. I know we still have "bastard" surnames surviving today. Aren't the "Fitz" prefixes indicative of bastardy? I can't remember. And I am too lazy to Google.

In Spanish, Bastardo and Expůsito are not unusual surnames, both defining a child without parents, Expůsito literaly means "someone left (exposed) outside (by their parents)", also, it was not unusual to give in Medieval Spain a surname after a saint just for protection of the orphans (Sanpedro, Santeliz, etc.) especially since surnames in Medieval Spain used to be patronymic. Don't know the case in English.

maxmordon
07-19-2011, 02:24 AM
I finally saw the show during the weekend, when I mean I saw it, I mean I saw the 10 whole episodes and did nothing of the presentation I was meant to be prepared.

This is a dream come true, I never had seen a fantasy show so well-regarded and respected. It opens a door to many of us.

Though at first I felt it was like a weird Lord of the Rings spin-off where they only got Boromir, it develops a life of its own and its uniqueness quickly comes up. This is my new "soap opera" as I call all the shows that leave me wanting MORE.

maxmordon
07-22-2011, 01:41 AM
OK, I lied, I missed the last episode.

Why?

Because I don't to admit it I have to wait SO MANY MONTHS for more...

BunnyMaz
07-22-2011, 01:56 AM
Oh you sweet, Summer child. A few months? What do you know of waiting? Waiting is for the long night, when GRRM does not publish and children are born and live and die, all before the next book comes out.

Parametric
07-22-2011, 01:57 AM
Oh you sweet, Summer child. A few months? What do you know of waiting? Waiting is for the long night, when GRRM does not publish and children are born and live and die, all before the next book comes out.

:ROFL:

maxmordon
07-22-2011, 02:26 AM

That's why I had myself kept relatively away from the books... but now I can't avoid it. The Seven Kingdoms need me.

DavidZahir
07-22-2011, 08:25 PM
At ComicCon, according to Yahoo News, people asked the panel how they saw the series ending. Not surprisingly, George R.R. Martin said he knew how the story ends (describing it as "bittersweet") but the best answer evidently came frpm Peter Dinklage (aka Tyrion). His reply: "Dance number."

maxmordon
07-22-2011, 09:51 PM
As long is the Camelot Song from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, I don't mind.

A crow came from King's Landing. It brought a Coconut.

DavidZahir
07-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Another bit of casting for Season Two (http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/cable/hbo/game-of-thrones/game-thrones-season-2-casts-brienne-tarth/68912)! This article does contain some very minor spoilers.

maxmordon
08-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Now for some laughs.

Game of Thrones: The Original RPG!

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6579356/game-of-thrones-rpg

thothguard51
08-09-2011, 12:25 AM
I have a hunch that the opening of Season Two might me one of the most watched programs of the year...

dgiharris
08-09-2011, 01:07 AM
thank god for HBO, without it, the series would have never concluded. They will force GRRM to finish his series before he dies and if he dies they'll at least find someone capable of finishing it.

Incidentally, I heard that his next book, Dance with Dragons came out and is flop no where near as good as the other books in the series :(

Mel...

Libbie
08-09-2011, 01:18 AM
I thought ADWD was awesome.

Also, I don't think anybody is capable of writing like this guy. This isn't your average farmboy-goes-on-magical-quest fantasy. GRRM has been called the Tolkien of contemporary fantasy, and I think that might be too modest an assessment. The man is supernatural in his ability to juggle plot and character. I doubt anybody could take up that mantle.

thothguard51
08-09-2011, 01:32 AM
I wouldn't call ADWD a flop but no, it was not as good as the first three books, and that is always the problem with any series.

dgiharris
08-09-2011, 08:40 AM
I wouldn't call ADWD a flop but no, it was not as good as the first three books, and that is always the problem with any series.

As much as I hate GRRM (personally due to the way he treated us fans) you can't deny his writing ability. I've been trying to convince myself not to buy the latest book, but I guess I will have to.

Then I will have to wait another 5 years for him to finish the next book :(

GRRM fans are in a co-dependant abusive relationship :e2stooges

TCnKC
08-09-2011, 10:42 PM
ADWD was definitely not a flop. Obviously, the first 3 books were the best(thus far) but ADWD had some very important moments in it and was definitely better than AFFC.

I think the last two books will be better structured and end the series with a bang. For whatever reason he apparently struggled with these last two but I think he's back on track now. I don't think it's going to take anywhere near 5 years for the next one to come out.

My biggest concern is how HBO is going to handle season 4/5 when/if they get there. The last two books run together(time line wise) that it's going to be tricky.

Libbie
08-09-2011, 11:44 PM
I have to admit I feel a lot of ire when people gripe about how long it takes him to write his books. I don't know of any writer who can do such a bang-up job with such a complex plot and so many well-developed, interesting characters. To expect that kind of artistry to be turned out in a year or two is totally unrealistic and smacks of a serious sense of entitlement, IMO, and if I had "fans" who felt they had a right to demand that I write at their pace instead of my own, I would rather not have fans at all.

Wines get better with time, and some writing is equally worth waiting for. Happily there is plenty of quickly produced fiction out there to fill the years between ASOIAF installments.

(I am a bit hyper-sensitive to this kind of attitude because I used to work in the art field, and I had some "fans" who began to harp on me about how long it took to produce quality product for them to enjoy. My response was to leave that particular field of art altogether, because I was disgusted by my "fans" treating me like a machine, and by their belief that I should or could be capable of churning out excellence on command. They had no respect for the fact that there is a process to creativity, and they had no respect for me. The world is lucky that Martin doesn't leave writing altogether in response to the angry "fans" out there.)

dgiharris
08-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Libbie, there has to be a limit.

We fans aren't upset because he couldn't crank it out in a year. We realize the complexity and easily were willing to give him 2, 3, hell even 4 years no problem.

No, our gripe is the way he handled the release date and his fans, telling us that it will be done by X date and then X date comes and then that is pushed off six months, then six months come and its pushed off a year, then a year comes and its pushed off another year, then another year comes and he says, "i'll finish when I finish go read something else and get a life".

Honestly, we fans were more than reasonable here so don't make us out to be deranged and unreasonable.

I guess there will always be those 'artists' (pronounced RRR-TEAST) that feel they have no loyalty or obligation to their fans and that they can abuse them.

And to have the attitude that "the fans are lucky..." is just the wrong attitude to have as an artist in a capitilistic society. That is just way too egotistical.

Again, the fans are not the ones being unreasonable here.

In his case, he's just super lucky he is as talented as he is.

Mel...

ViolettaVane
08-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Loved the show. I started ADWD and found the first chapter fantastic, but I've been so busy recently with trying to get our novel submitted I haven't made much headway in the rest of it.

Libbie
08-10-2011, 12:35 AM
*shrug* Well, I disagree. For something that good, I'm willing to wait until the person creating it feels it's ready to go. I don't want anything but their best effort. Maybe I am biased because I come from a family of professional ARRR-TEESTES who take creating and producing an exemplary end product seriously.

robeiae
08-10-2011, 12:46 AM
Once upon a time, I was reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time cycle. I lost interest in it, while waiting for the next volume. But that's me. I didn't feel cheated, didn't feel I was owed anything.

I've now finished all of the Game of Thrones books. When the next installment comes out, I'll read it or I won't. Sooner would be better, of course, but it is what it is. Getting wound up about it seems pretty silly to me. 'Course, I don't consider myself to be anyone's "fan"...aside from Kate Beckinsale's, though I think that goes without saying.

Btw, the publication dates for the original Dune Trilogy: '65, '69, '76.

DavidZahir
08-10-2011, 05:27 AM
I read Martin's blogs announcing his progress, and he seemed apologetic things weren't proceeding as quickly as he'd believed. Now he says he's given up giving dates because he doesn't want to disappoint his fans.

Hey, I've been waiting for next book in David Gerrold's War Against The Chtorr for over twenty years!!!!

Libbie
08-10-2011, 05:00 PM
I lost interest in Wheel of Time because it got boring and pedestrian, not because of the delay between books. ;)

maxmordon
09-10-2011, 12:47 AM
I have hooked to a certain degree about a dozen people to this show. And I just got the "call", you know the one, the one where they damn you for not telling them about you know what to you know who and you know who too.

maxmordon
09-14-2011, 03:48 AM
http://scifimafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/rr-martin-adorable.jpg

dragonjax
09-15-2011, 03:41 AM
maxmordon, that ROCKS. Just printed it out. :D

(And your signature quote is The Awesome.)

maxmordon
09-19-2011, 07:00 AM
Congrats to Pete Dinklage for winning an Emmy!

DavidZahir
09-21-2011, 04:01 AM
A list of characters and actors playing them for Season Two (http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/cable/hbo/game-of-thrones/game-thrones-meet-faces-season-2/86984). (for the record, I've seen some other pics of Gwendoline Christie, and believe me she looks right once you scrub off the makeup and let her hair go straight).

thothguard51
09-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Congrats to Pete Dinklage for winning an Emmy!

And in keeping in his AGOT character, Peter thanked his dog sitter back in NYC...

A true Lannister...

thothguard51
09-21-2011, 04:59 AM
Looking at the list of new characters for season two, I am not sure about Stephen Dillane playing Stannis Baratheon. From the book, I envisioned a larger fellow than Dillane. Maybe not as large as Robert, but from what the books describe they are very close in looks...

Liam Cunningham as Davos Seaworth, aka the Onion Knight I thought was a good choice. As was Robert Pugh as Craster.

Of the women, Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell seems a good choice. Not sure about Gwndoline Christie as Brienne of Tarth since Gwendoline is mostly known as a model. She is tall and broad of shoulders so maybe she'll work out just fine in Brienne's armor.

Somewhat excited to see Carice Van Houten as Lady Melisandre. Can't wait till she shoots her magic from between her legs...

All in all, it does not seem like a bad crew and season two should be very interesting...

Damn, why is Feb 2012 so far away...

dragonjax
12-13-2011, 05:26 AM
The bad news: we have to wait until April 2012.

The good news: TRAILER FOR SEASON 2 (http://www.tvguide.com/News/Game-of-Throne-1040748.aspx)!!!

thothguard51
12-13-2011, 06:20 AM

The good news: TRAILER FOR SEASON 2 (http://www.tvguide.com/News/Game-of-Throne-1040748.aspx)!!!

Who in the hell do these HBO people think they are GRR Martin. At this rate, Martin will finish the series before HBO gets to season two...

The trailer is blaaa, I was very disappointed. HBO can do better...

CrastersBabies
12-13-2011, 09:11 PM
See, I disagree. I loved the trailer. It's just a teaser anyway, but Stannis' voice is almost exactly as I imagined it. I LOVE Stannis as a character. Always have (almost as much as Craster, but who am I to complain now? We'll see those babies if it's the last thing I do).

:D

I cannot wait for a longer trailer, something with Brienne, something with Melisandre. Renly standing over a hill looking out w/his crown on was super awesome.

Loved seeing the show of Jaime, though. Mmm hmmm....

dragonjax
12-13-2011, 10:42 PM
I like the teaser too. And I completely agree:

I cannot wait for a longer trailer, something with Brienne, something with Melisandre.

Yay, Brienne! Bring on the Maid of Tarth!

DavidZahir
12-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Years ago, on another board, we had a contest about how we'd like the last sentence of the series to read. My fave was the horde of barbarians listening to their leader as he raised his battle axe over the ruins of the Red Keep. He called out the war cry which had led him to victory: "HODOR!"

My entry was one sentence: Long live Queen Brienne!

yellowhammer
12-20-2011, 09:48 AM

Awesome! I hadn't seen the trailer yet! Thanks for posting.

Now that I'm all excited, I feel the need to shout "Winterfell" from the tops of my lungs.

dragonjax
01-30-2012, 01:56 PM
April 1, 2012, is almost here! While waiting...another trailer (http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/01/new-season-2-trailer-game-of-thrones.html?ref=twt_Suvudu_stream)!

Esmeralda
01-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the link. Can't wait!

dragonjax
03-04-2012, 05:33 PM
New trailer (http://www.davidforbes.net/archives/3409)!!!

playground
03-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Wow that trailer was spectacular.

thothguard51
03-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Wow that trailer was spectacular.

See, I told you all HBO could do better.

27 more days and the feast begins...

Parametric
03-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Need season two. Neeeed.

CrastersBabies
03-05-2012, 04:35 AM
I am eating these trailers up. I cannot wait. Tyrion looks amazing. <3 for Peter D.

Joff is such a smug little turd.

thothguard51
03-05-2012, 04:39 AM
I haven't heard, but I wonder if they are going to wait for season three for the Red Wedding?

Parametric
03-05-2012, 04:39 AM
Season two is an adaptation of the second book, so events from later books won't be included.

dragonjax
03-05-2012, 05:04 AM
I haven't heard, but I wonder if they are going to wait for season three for the Red Wedding?

They'd have to. The big build for the second season would be the Battle of Blackwater, right? RW would have to be season 3.

I've heard that GRRM was penning the Blackwater scenes himself. **drools**

CrastersBabies
03-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Yeah, the red wedding will definitely be in season 3, but it seems like they are either bumping some stuff from book 3 to season 2 namely Jaime and Dany stuff, or, they're beefing both characters' roles to keep actors busy and audiences interested. Jaime kind of falls out in book 2 and Dany only wanders around in the desert (or so it seems).

I also heard that GRRM wrote the Blackwater and I am as giddy as a fangirl can be about that. The thing I remember the most from that is the Hound. Our poor poor Sandor!

I wonder how much of the Hound and Sansa we'll see and how true to the books they'll stay.

I also cannot wait to see Arya do a little "wishing" with Jaqen. I think that was one of my favorite parts in book 2.

“She steals in on little mice feet, but a man hears."

Mmmm, weasel stew.

thothguard51
03-05-2012, 08:04 PM
By time HBO gets to the 5th book, the girl playing Arya may be too old for the role.

CrastersBabies
03-05-2012, 08:49 PM
I dunno. Aren't they aging in the books pretty much a year (at least) per book?

That said, I hear they are splitting book 3 into two seasons. So, the kids may age up quickly. I hope they chose kids who come from "shorter" families. :) Sansa is tall! (the actress anyway).

Grrarrgh
03-05-2012, 09:07 PM

TV Show only!!!!!!!! The title of this thread clearly states no book discussion, especially from later books!

thothguard51
03-05-2012, 09:18 PM
READ Carefully...

I questioned the TV show and season three...I did not discuss the book in the quote.

But you can't really discuss the show without the books creeping in the conversation as the show is woven very closely with the books. Hell, the fact that Martin is involved in the show makes it that much more of a topic between show and books...

Grrarrgh
03-05-2012, 09:37 PM
READ Carefully...

I questioned the TV show and season three...I did not discuss the book in the quote.

But you can't really discuss the show without the books creeping in the conversation as the show is woven very closely with the books. Hell, the fact that Martin is involved in the show makes it that much more of a topic between show and books...

I understand that. And I realize that what you said wasn't a huge spoiler. But I just finished book 2, I'm getting ready to start book 3, and clearly what you said came from a book later than what we've seen in the TV Show.

And discussing the difference between something on the show and the same event in book is one thing. Bringing up something from a later book is different. I've worked really hard to have no idea what is going to happen to these people as the books go on, and I really want to keep it that way. That's all I'm saying.

dragonjax
03-06-2012, 12:18 AM
I've worked really hard to have no idea what is going to happen to these people as the books go on, and I really want to keep it that way. That's all I'm saying.

Just keep thinking, "Sunshine and rainbows. It's all sunshine and rainbows. With the occasional pony."

thothguard51
03-06-2012, 12:28 AM
And don't get attached to any one character...anyone.

Grrarrgh
03-06-2012, 02:39 AM
Just keep thinking, "Sunshine and rainbows. It's all sunshine and rainbows. With the occasional pony."

Sunshine, rainbows, and ponies. Got it. By that, I assume you mean mysterious shadows, red comets, and destriers. :)

And don't get attached to anyone character...anyone.

Any inclination I had toward that was shattered by the Ned Stark. I suddenly realized what a mistake my affection for him was. Silly Grrarrgh.

dragonjax
03-06-2012, 04:42 AM
Sunshine, rainbows, and ponies. Got it. By that, I assume you mean mysterious shadows, red comets, and destriers. :)

thothguard51
03-12-2012, 03:19 AM
20 days and counting till season two premier.

I might also add, that I got my DVD box set the other day and glad I pre-ordered because the price is now higher on Amazon than the pre-order deal. Still a better deal than what Walmart is charging...

I might also note, Amazon is offering the whole package for the Kindle Fire, or you can order each episode individually.

CrastersBabies
03-12-2012, 03:40 AM
Grra,

You'll enjoy book 3. It went so much faster for me than book 2. Book 2 had a lot of "wandering around" by certain characters and book 3 really seems to set things back in motion again.

Oh, and you'll get a new POV in book 3. (REALLY BIG GRIN.)

Just try to resist. That's all I'm sayin'.....

Grrarrgh
03-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Grra,

You'll enjoy book 3. It went so much faster for me than book 2. Book 2 had a lot of "wandering around" by certain characters and book 3 really seems to set things back in motion again.

Oh, and you'll get a new POV in book 3. (REALLY BIG GRIN.)

Just try to resist. That's all I'm sayin'.....

I just finished book 3 and you're right - I loved it. There were actually 2 new POVs, both of which I enjoyed. I need a day or 2 to process it all, go over a few things again, then it's on to book 4.

CrastersBabies
03-13-2012, 01:46 AM
I just finished book 3 and you're right - I loved it. There were actually 2 new POVs, both of which I enjoyed. I need a day or 2 to process it all, go over a few things again, then it's on to book 4.

Wow! How fast did you finish that? It was a MONSTER!

Yep! One new POV in particular "converted" me in a sense. And oh, how I loathed feeling that way in the beginning. :D

"I can't like HIM. Noooooo."

Do you know the story about book 4? That it got too big and Martin removed a lot of main POVs, focusing more on one area of the world?

The first 2/3 of book 5 occurs at the exact same time as book 4 because he went back and returned to those missing POVs.

I almost wanted to read book 4 and 5 at the same time. There are links out there on how you would order the chapters. But, a lot of folks were thrown in book 4 because of that.

Grrarrgh
03-13-2012, 04:17 AM
Wow! How fast did you finish that? It was a MONSTER!

Yep! One new POV in particular "converted" me in a sense. And oh, how I loathed feeling that way in the beginning. :D

"I can't like HIM. Noooooo."

Do you know the story about book 4? That it got too big and Martin removed a lot of main POVs, focusing more on one area of the world?

The first 2/3 of book 5 occurs at the exact same time as book 4 because he went back and returned to those missing POVs.

I almost wanted to read book 4 and 5 at the same time. There are links out there on how you would order the chapters. But, a lot of folks were thrown in book 4 because of that.

I started the book last Wednesday, and thanks to basketball, I spent literally the entire weekend reading it. Plus, thanks to my Kindle, I read all the time. Blow drying my hair, putting on makeup, brushing my teeth, cooking, etc. :).

I did not know that about the next 2 books, though. I think I would like to read 4, then 5, then go back and read them at the same time using one of those links. That sounds amazing. I'm looking forward to an eventual re-read of 3.

Mr. Grr has only read the first 50 pages or so of book 1, and watched the show, so I can't talk about 3 with him. I don't know anyone who's read it, and it's killing me!!! And I'm not stepping foot into the book thread until I'm caught up. I've come too far spoiler-free to have it ruined now!

CrastersBabies
03-13-2012, 04:20 AM
I started the book last Wednesday, and thanks to basketball, I spent literally the entire weekend reading it. Plus, thanks to my Kindle, I read all the time. Blow drying my hair, putting on makeup, brushing my teeth, cooking, etc. :).

I did not know that about the next 2 books, though. I think I would like to read 4, then 5, then go back and read them at the same time using one of those links. That sounds amazing. I'm looking forward to an eventual re-read of 3.

Mr. Grr has only read the first 50 pages or so of book 1, and watched the show, so I can't talk about 3 with him. I don't know anyone who's read it, and it's killing me!!! And I'm not stepping foot into the book thread until I'm caught up. I've come too far spoiler-free to have it ruined now!

It just kills you, doesn't it? My husband hasn't read the books but LOVES the show and he'll say things like.... "oh, so and so will come back and kick butt" and I'm thinking, "Well, no, that person dies...." (haha)

He flipped OUT at Ned's fate.

Some people really disliked Feast for Crows, but I liked it. I knew what I was getting into. You get a new main POV which I really like (highlight to read): >>> Cersei <<<<<

And you get to see the Iron Isles culture and the Sandsnakes which I found interesting. I kind of just took it for what it was, knowing I'd get the other POVs back again in book 5.

Parametric
03-13-2012, 03:43 PM

Craster, you're a tease! Where can I find this reading order? My reread must be chronological. :D

Grrarrgh
03-13-2012, 03:58 PM

I was thinking about this again this morning, and knowing this, it seems even more ridiculous that it took him 6 years to get book 5 out.

CrastersBabies
03-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Craster, you're a tease! Where can I find this reading order? My reread must be chronological. :D

If you do a google search for:

a feast for crows and a dance with dragons read together (or something similar)

that might yield some results. Here's one I found that intrigued me:

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/iq5b7/my_reading_order_for_a_feast_and_dance_megabook/

Parametric
03-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Thank you! That's great! :D

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
03-15-2012, 05:58 AM
Wow, that's a lot of book discussion for a thread with the subtitle "No Book Discussion".

(I haven't read the books but am not the sort to wail over a spoiler or two.)

We just finished rewatching the entire first season on DVD and I must say that on the second viewing (and knowing what was going on much more clearly), I could muster very little sympathy for Stark (Ned). I mean every person who could speak told him what was going to happen and he just skipped blithely along toward destruction anyway, resulting in so many people close to him being murdered. I felt he deserved to die just for that reason alone.

CrastersBabies
03-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Well, if there's one thing GRRM does well is punishing characters for making stupid mistakes. :)

thothguard51
03-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Maybe we should start a obituary thread for AGOT? Do the AW servers have enough space?

playground
03-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Less than a week now!

MttStrn
03-28-2012, 01:32 AM
I'm quivering in my studded leather jerkin with anticipation.

Libbie
03-28-2012, 02:02 AM
I'm throwing a viewing party and I'll be making food from Westeros for my guests (courtesy of http://www.innatthecrossroads.com/)

WHY YES, I AM A NERD. WHY DO YOU ASK?

thothguard51
03-28-2012, 03:48 AM
FIVE more days...

Cool link Libbie...

MattW
03-30-2012, 03:00 AM
I have plans to watch with a friend I gave the books to years ago in college. I'm now surprised by the number of people that talk about the show at my job (and now have started the books)

Sadly, I killed my own cable last month. What's the delay for watching on iTunes? Days? Months?

thothguard51
03-30-2012, 03:24 AM
3---Three--- III, more days...

maxmordon
03-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Just wanted to show these a-mazing medieval-style maps of several cities and regions of Westeros and beyond!

http://io9.com/5897972/here-there-be-white-walkers-in-stylized-game-of-thrones-maps

regdog
06-05-2012, 04:06 PM
So a very current and popular thread, then?

Ah well, no worries then. Mea culpa.

Here you go, willie

I think some forget we have a no book discussion thread. I haven't read them and stuck with this thread last season. I'm debating reading them since I really don't want to wait until next April for season 3

willietheshakes
06-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Here you go, willie

I think some forget we have a no book discussion thread. I haven't read them and stuck with this thread last season. I'm debating reading them since I really don't want to wait until next April for season 3

I appreciate the effort, but this thread has NO discussion of season two whatsoever. I just figured, in a sub-forum on television, theatre and movies, on a board which has as its motto respect your fellow writer, I could actually discuss a current television series and not have to worry about spoilers. Again, mea culpa.

regdog
06-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Here's hoping we can get this thread going again for those of us who haven't read the books.

dragonjax
12-04-2012, 08:01 PM
March 31, 2013! March 31, 2013! MARCH 31, 2013!!! Waiting eagerly for season three!!!

CrastersBabies
12-04-2012, 08:42 PM
I know! Did you see the featurette?

http://youtu.be/2yj0e0r_yLI

dragonjax
12-04-2012, 11:19 PM
YES. Can't wait!!!

jvc
12-04-2012, 11:30 PM
You're kidding? We gotta wait until the end of March until the new season?

dragonjax
12-05-2012, 12:44 AM
You're kidding? We gotta wait until the end of March until the new season?

Hey, it's better than the wait has been for Doctor Who...

CrastersBabies
12-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Where's Thoth? :)

I can't wait to see The King Beyond the Wall...

Jamiekswriter
12-05-2012, 06:18 PM
The locations, the costumes, the sets .. . . so lush and gorgeous! The featurette is up at HBO's site. The actor that plays Rob Stark has a cute accent. :D I can't wait for March! And Dr. Who is going to be on in a few weeks for the Christmas special so I'm pretty happy about that too!!

dragonjax
12-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Check out this article (http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/12/04/a-sneak-peak-at-game-of-thrones-season-3-new-characters-and-locations/) for a pic of Mance. :)

CrastersBabies
12-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Drool!

Ciarin Hinds is so amazing. Loved him as Caesar. Will have to dig out the Rome CDs just to get prepared for his awesomeness. I hear the actor who played Brutus in Rome is playing Edmure Tully, Cat's brother. It's a reunion! If only we can get Ray Stevenson as Victarion in future seasons, we'll be set.

Libbie
12-09-2012, 05:17 AM
EHRMAGERD, so excited.

maxmordon
12-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Drool!

Ciarin Hinds is so amazing. Loved him as Caesar. Will have to dig out the Rome CDs just to get prepared for his awesomeness. I hear the actor who played Brutus in Rome is playing Edmure Tully, Cat's brother. It's a reunion! If only we can get Ray Stevenson as Victarion in future seasons, we'll be set.

I thought the first reunion attempt was John Carter.

Kyra Wright
12-09-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm really excited for this. This will be the first time I've read the book before the season premieres, so I can jump into the show without reservation.

CrastersBabies
12-10-2012, 07:58 AM
I thought the first reunion attempt was John Carter.

Did not see John Carter. Tell me of reunions!

maxmordon
12-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Did not see John Carter. Tell me of reunions!

It had the actor who played Ceasar as a king, the actor who played Marc Antony as the king's captain and charming rouge second-in-command and the actress who did Attia providing the voice of one of the Martians.

CrastersBabies
12-10-2012, 08:22 PM
It had the actor who played Ceasar as a king, the actor who played Marc Antony as the king's captain and charming rouge second-in-command and the actress who did Attia providing the voice of one of the Martians.

Damn. Another reason to see this film. I've wanted to, just haven't gotten around to it. And Attia in anything is worthy, imho. She is a goddess!

DreamWeaver
12-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Tonight on the Sherlock Holmes series "Elementary," there was a security firm named Casterly Rock. ;)

regdog
02-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Season 3 air date has been released, March 31

dragonjax
02-04-2013, 12:26 AM

**dances with joy**

CrastersBabies
02-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Yay, I can order my HBO literally an hour before it starts on March 31st then dump it when GoT is finished. :) We have to tighten our budget for those three months, which is fine.

jvc
02-04-2013, 04:09 PM
:yessmiley

About time, too.

regdog
02-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Yay, I can order my HBO literally an hour before it starts on March 31st then dump it when GoT is finished. :) We have to tighten our budget for those three months, which is fine.

I was able to get HBO because our cable provider is having a special. I'll cancel after GOT is done too.

jvc
02-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Wait, hang on, just a minute now. How long until it comes to the UK? Are we going to have to wait another few months for it? Please tell me that aint true. Come on, give me something, anything. A little hope, that's all I ask.

dpaterso
02-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Wait, hang on, just a minute now. How long until it comes to the UK? Are we going to have to wait another few months for it? Please tell me that aint true. Come on, give me something, anything. A little hope, that's all I ask.
http://skyatlantic.sky.com/game-of-thrones/game-of-thrones-season-3-to-air-one-day-after-us

The ten-episode third season of the highly anticipated HBO fantasy saga will return to the channel on Monday 1 April at 9pm.

-Derek

Parametric
02-04-2013, 04:42 PM

It will continue to air one day later in the UK, so the UK premiere is April 1st at 9pm. (http://skyatlantic.sky.com/game-of-thrones/game-of-thrones-season-3-to-air-one-day-after-us)

DreamWeaver
02-05-2013, 04:20 AM
Yay, I can order my HBO literally an hour before it starts on March 31st then dump it when GoT is finished. :) We have to tighten our budget for those three months, which is fine.You and me, C-babe. You and me. :D

thothguard51
02-05-2013, 04:25 AM
And from what I understand, for those who have not heard, the 3rd book is going to be split into two seasons...

57 days to go here in the U.S...

You know nothing John Snow...

jvc
02-05-2013, 05:31 PM
http://skyatlantic.sky.com/game-of-thrones/game-of-thrones-season-3-to-air-one-day-after-us

-Derek

It will continue to air one day later in the UK, so the UK premiere is April 1st at 9pm. (http://skyatlantic.sky.com/game-of-thrones/game-of-thrones-season-3-to-air-one-day-after-us)
:yessmiley

regdog
02-05-2013, 05:40 PM
And from what I understand, for those who have not heard, the 3rd book is going to be split into two seasons...

57 days to go here in the U.S...

You know nothing John Snow...

2 seasons, oh for the love of...

dragonjax
02-06-2013, 12:27 AM
2 seasons, oh for the love of...

Actually, it should be two seasons. The book (A Storm Of Swords) is more than 1,000 pages; definitely two seasons' worth of story there.

jvc
02-06-2013, 04:05 PM
The book is split into two. At least the version I have is split into two books.

regdog
02-06-2013, 04:58 PM
That makes sense. I've never read the books.

dragonjax
02-06-2013, 07:23 PM
The book is split into two. At least the version I have is split into two books.

Mine is the full 1,000+ page monstrosity (and probably my fave of the series to date).

dragonjax
02-06-2013, 07:24 PM
That makes sense. I've never read the books.

The first one took me a while to get into - but once I did, I was hooked.

I love the HBO adaption.

jvc
02-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Mine is the full 1,000+ page monstrosity (and probably my fave of the series to date).
Show off. :e2tongue:

(And yes, the third book is my favourite one, too. So I'm really looking forward to the new season.)

CrastersBabies
02-08-2013, 04:27 AM
Yeah, and between book 4 and 5, there's at least 3 seasons worth of stuff. It's a good thing the characters pretty much age a year per book (from what I remember). :)

I hear they are ending this season with something that readers will know by the initials R.W.. Should be interesting.

DreamWeaver
02-08-2013, 05:11 AM
Mine is the full 1,000+ page monstrosity (and probably my fave of the series to date).And here we see the advantage of ebooks. I had no idea it was over 1000 pages :D

I hear they are ending this season with something that readers will know by the initials R.W.. Should be interesting.Interesting? That's an...interesting word to use for it. ;)

thothguard51
02-08-2013, 05:42 AM
But the RW was one of two major events in the book, so next season they will deal with the other event.

So what do we have for season three...

John Snow's adventure beyond the wall, check.
Arya further adventures, check.
Bran's adventure to the north, check.
King of the North gathering his freemen, check.
King Rob Stark making bad decisions, check
King Slayers adventure, check.
King Stannis on the run, check.
King Joffrey's sniveling, check.
Tyrone recovery, check.
Dannery and her dragons, no so much...
Littlefingers schemes, check.
And we must not forget, Lord Mormont, old man Craster, Millisandra, the Tyrells, the giants of the North, the dire wolves, and most importantly...Winter is Coming.

Did I forget anyone?

jvc
02-08-2013, 05:49 PM
But the RW was one of two major events in the book, so next season they will deal with the other event.

So what do we have for season three...

John Snow's adventure beyond the wall, check.
Arya further adventures, check.
Bran's adventure to the north, check.
King of the North gathering his freemen, check.
King Rob Stark making bad decisions, check
King Slayers adventure, check.
King Stannis on the run, check.
King Joffrey's sniveling, check.
Tyrone recovery, check.
Dannery and her dragons, no so much...
Littlefingers schemes, check.
And we must not forget, Lord Mormont, old man Craster, Millisandra, the Tyrells, the giants of the North, the dire wolves, and most importantly...Winter is Coming.

Did I forget anyone?
That is a lot of stuff to cram into ten episodes.

thothguard51
02-08-2013, 05:58 PM
But they generally do it so well...

jvc
02-08-2013, 06:02 PM
But they generally do it so well...
I think they're going to skim over a lot of the stuff, or miss them out all together.

regdog
04-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Bumping this in case anyone wants to discuss without spoilers.

I plan on watching last nights episode later today

regdog
04-02-2013, 08:06 PM
First episode wasn't bad but only a few minutes of Dany at the end. She's the one I'm rooting for.

CrastersBabies
04-02-2013, 08:12 PM
First episode wasn't bad but only a few minutes of Dany at the end. She's the one I'm rooting for.

Yeah, I like Dany and I love the actress playing her. :) More dragons, too! regdog, do you recall if they have mentioned the dragons' names in the HBO series at all?

regdog
04-03-2013, 06:38 PM
No, they haven't

CrastersBabies
04-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Interesting, they had them named right at the beginning of book 2. Have you read the books? Do people want to know the names? :D I don't imagine it will be a spoiler because it's already "passed" so to speak in the book narrative, but thought I'd ask first.

regdog
04-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Bumping this for those who want to talk about the episodes without worrying about spoilers

DreamWeaver
04-08-2014, 02:11 AM
I'm feeling bad because when talking about the previous seasons, two of us accidentally spoilered one character's fate for the one person in the room who hadn't read the books :(. Karma's going to get us for that one...

regdog
04-08-2014, 02:52 AM
Oh dear. As long as it isn't George RR Martin's brand of Karma.

thothguard51
04-08-2014, 03:05 AM
See larger thread. Much more up to date...

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241514

regdog
04-08-2014, 01:05 PM
tho, that thread has spoilers, this one doesn't.

Albedo
04-08-2014, 01:44 PM
We really need three levels of spoiler threads. One for people who have read the books up to date, one for those who are as far as the most recent TV episode only (moi), and one even less spoilery, for those who might be behind.

Albedo
04-08-2014, 01:46 PM
And perhaps another, for those who have read GRRM's secret story notes.

regdog
04-08-2014, 03:37 PM
We really need three levels of spoiler threads. One for people who have read the books up to date, one for those who are as far as the most recent TV episode only (moi), and one even less spoilery, for those who might be behind.

That's pretty much this thread.

regdog
06-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Bumping in case anyone wants to discuss without risk of spoilers

DreamWeaver
06-03-2014, 07:23 PM
OK, I have something that wasn't in the books and has already happened on the show, but that I'm unsure of how to interpret. Would discussion of that fit this thread?

ETA: OK, it's when Ramsay Snow is having sex with the girl who helped him hunt down and kill the other girl. Then, Theon's sister arrives to break him out. Ramsay shows up at the dungeon all bloody and in a great mood. I'm wondering if we're just supposed to assume rough sex, or if he killed the girl during sex and that's why he's so happy. I know when I saw her helping him hunt, I thought, "He's bound to turn on her and hunt her soon." (Not a spoiler, not in the books.)

laurasbadideas
06-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Did Ghost survive tonight's episode? I didn't see anything that gave a clear indication one way or the other, but I wasn't giving the battle my full attention so I could easily have missed something.

maxmordon
06-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Did Thorne survived as well? Had my doubts.

regdog
06-13-2014, 11:57 PM
Last I saw Ghost he was alive and killing Wildlings, but Thorne did not survive.

DavidZahir
06-14-2014, 09:29 PM
There's this great youtube channel of two British girls watching their favorite shows drunk and reacting. Lately they've started doing it with GOT. Since they are drunk and haven't read the books their reactions are fun! In particular they were terrified Sam was going to die.

DreamWeaver
06-15-2014, 03:52 AM
And who could blame them? :D