PDA

View Full Version : Editor call imminent

Mr. Anonymous
06-07-2011, 10:45 PM
don't know if this is the right place for this but...

editor and agent are going to call in about 45 minutes to discuss revisions on a novel of mine. agent said it is possible that if the convo goes well editor will make an offer (though probably more likely that editor will want to see a revision before making an offer.) I am sitting at my desk, in my underwear, with several lists in front of me (my favorite books, a list of questions for the editor, and a list of possible next projects, etc.) I am also freaking out a bit.

Calla Lily
06-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Just don't tell them you're in your underwear. Other than that, b-r-e-a-t-h-e. :) Good luck!

Mr. Anonymous
06-07-2011, 10:49 PM
lol. thanks.

Perks
06-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Put some pants on, fer god's sake. And best of luck! I hope you come back with news of an offer.

Karen Junker
06-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Good luck! This is great!

Mr. Anonymous
06-07-2011, 10:56 PM
lol perks. I feel more free this way! and thank you. I do too!

Thanks Karen!

Perks
06-07-2011, 10:57 PM
lol perks. I feel more free this way!
Okay, now you've inspired me. I'm gonna take all my calls in my skivvies from now on.

Mr. Anonymous
06-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Okay, now you've inspired me. I'm gonna take all my calls in my skivvies from now on.

xP. Try it once and you'll never go back. I guarantee it.

Wayne K
06-07-2011, 11:04 PM

:popcorn:

entropic island
06-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Don't really know what to do in that situation other than take off my pants as well.

Good luck!

Mr. Anonymous
06-07-2011, 11:13 PM
lol, wayne + aidan, thanks for making me laugh. Still really nervous though. I've begun pacing now. Dog is looking at me like wtf. I'm playing it's the end of the world as we know it in the background.

COchick
06-07-2011, 11:14 PM
That's how I take all my conference calls. Except in the winter.

Good luck!

Uncarved
06-07-2011, 11:15 PM
we're suppose to wear pants when meeting agents and publishers? Dangit, who didn't tell me? I suppose this goes for face-to-face meetings too, sigh....

Mr. Anonymous
06-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Cochick - in winter I wear socks. Thanks! lol.

tina - maybe pajamas would be a nice compromise b/w underwear and full on regular boring old pants?

Uncarved
06-07-2011, 11:20 PM
tina - maybe pajamas would be a nice compromise b/w underwear and full on regular boring old pants

So that means its a "yes" to meeting for coffee with an agent wearing a thread-bare tee shirt and fuzzy slippers right?

Perks
06-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Don't really know what to do in that situation other than take off my pants as well.

Good luck!Let's all take our pants off in solidarity with Mr. Anonymous.

Mr. A, none of us will be fit to go out in public until you report back with news.

We'll wait here.

Mr. Anonymous
06-07-2011, 11:23 PM
tina - only if they're fluffy pink slippers.

perks - awww. That's so sweet of you. lol.

amrose
06-07-2011, 11:24 PM
You'll do great. I'd take my pants off in solidarity, but I'm at the office and they frown on that sort of thing. Puh, tight wads.

Jamiekswriter
06-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Sending you good wishes (and some pants)! Good luck!!!

Perks
06-07-2011, 11:27 PM
No, amrose, you do it, too and we'll also wait for the tale of your scuffle with security.

Mr. Anonymous
06-07-2011, 11:28 PM
amrose - lol, i don't know. The last few times I had an interview type thing I failed miserably. And that's why it's so nice to be self-employed (aka unemployed! lol.) The guy in charge is a real laid back guy.

and thanks jamie! lol.

I'm sure this crazy high will dissipate very quickly once they start talking about all the problems that need resolving. lol.

amrose
06-07-2011, 11:33 PM
amrose - lol, i don't know. The last few times I had an interview type thing I failed miserably. And that's why it's so nice to be self-employed (aka unemployed! lol.) The guy in charge is a real laid back guy.

I'm not terribly great at interviews either, but think about it this way, even if you flub, it's another round of practice in and next time (because there will be a next time as long as you keep writing, improving and submitting) you'll be that much better. For now, let's go with you're going to be awesome.

Really this is hilarious because I'd be freaking out too but I want you to do well, so pep talk. Be the ball, Anonymous. Be the ball.

amrose
06-07-2011, 11:34 PM
No, amrose, you do it, too and we'll also wait for the tale of your scuffle with security.

Don't taze me, bro!

Jess Haines
06-07-2011, 11:54 PM
LOL, best of luck to you! I'm sure it'll be fine. :)

Uncarved
06-07-2011, 11:57 PM
@Mr. A -- I don't doooooo pink. Look at that avatar, does that invoke pink fuzzy slippers to you?? :)

stormie
06-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Stopping by (with my pants on so as not to disturb the concentration around here). Did the call come yet?

We need Quickwit to come out of self-bannation to run through this thread w. his pants over his head, like he usually does.

Mr. Anonymous
06-08-2011, 12:27 AM
lol, thanks guys.

tina - yes?

Call went fairly well, though the revisions being asked for are pretty extensive. As such, editor will probably wait to see my revision before potentially making an offer... Now I just feel drained. I think I'm going to go see a movie or something. Hopefully when I come back there'll be an email waiting for me with more details from my agent.

Thanks again for the support everyone. You're all great. :)

Perks
06-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Yeah, go have a break and, for something completely novel, wear a skirt. They're comfy.

Uncarved
06-08-2011, 12:30 AM
I thought your query was superb and I'm sure the book is stellar as well. I know I'm looking forward to reading it so you best be getting busy getting it on the shelves;)

and pink slippers? really? Sigh.... you had SO much potential.

Mr. Anonymous
06-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Yeah, go have a break and, for something completely novel, wear a skirt. They're comfy.

...now there's an idea! I always did think they looked more comfortable than shorts/pants. What better a time to find out than now?

tina - lol. Sorry to disappoint. And thank you for your faith in me, lol. Believe me, I'm trying. It's just that everyone wants so many goddamn revisions!

Uncarved
06-08-2011, 12:34 AM
its alright, I'm sure I'll recover. Now you shimmy into that skirt like a good boy.

Perks
06-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Call went fairly well, though the revisions being asked for are pretty extensive. As such, editor will probably wait to see my revision before potentially making an offer... All joking aside, hang in there. You've obviously done something right. But I've been just where you are now and, I know, it's not fun.

Mr. Anonymous
06-08-2011, 12:43 AM
tina - shimmying!

perks - Thanks! lol. It's not fun, but hey, I really shouldn't complain. Querying wasn't much fun, and I got through that. Editor rejections weren't much fun but I finally got one who was at least willing to talk. It's all about baby steps. lol.

RiseBeauty
06-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Great news! Glad to hear the call went well.
If you're nervous next time you have a call...picture them in their underwear. I hear that works for public speaking too.

Phaeal
06-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Um, you do know how well the whole underwear thing is going for Anthony Weiner, right? Evil tabloid fairies are everywhere, including under your desk.

CGs on the encouraging call! And remember to put on some khakis before hitting the theater.

:D

nathanrudy
06-08-2011, 01:27 AM
YIPPEEEE!

How did it go?

LStein
06-08-2011, 02:53 AM
Um, you do know how well the whole underwear thing is going for Anthony Weiner, right? Evil tabloid fairies are everywhere, including under your desk.

:D

Yeh, sending a crotch shot to an editor probably isn't a good idea.

Glad the call went pretty well. Good luck on revisions!

Calla Lily
06-08-2011, 02:55 AM
Good luck, Mr. A!

Carrie in PA
06-08-2011, 03:01 AM
Yeh, sending a crotch shot to an editor probably isn't a good idea.

But if you already did, for pete's sake, don't lie about it to the press. The truth WILL come out.

Congrats on surviving your call!

thothguard51
06-08-2011, 03:02 AM
Best of luck buddy, you can do it.

(I often write in my underwear. Don't take calls in my underwear though because I don't want to get into questionable habits for when vision phones become the standard...)

stormie
06-08-2011, 03:03 AM
If you're nervous next time you have a call...picture them in their underwear. I hear that works for public speaking too.
Not for public posting though. :D

Glad the phone call is over for you. Revisions are a part of the whole process. Unfortunately. And what does your agent think about the revisions? All good? (Remember: keep the orig. ms. too.)

Mr. Anonymous
06-08-2011, 05:31 AM
risebeauty - next time... lol.

Phael -

Um, you do know how well the whole underwear thing is going for Anthony Weiner, right?

I thought the problem in his case was a lack of underwear? lol.

CGs on the encouraging call! And remember to put on some khakis before hitting the theater.

Thanks! and...ooops... If only I'd read your post before hitting the theater...

nathan - As revision calls usually do, I'm afraid (this is my second, the first being my agent's revision call, so I'm allowed to sound jaded, lol.) About a minute or so telling me me writing is amazing, followed by an hour going through all the problems/things to address. lol.

Lstein - Yeh, sending a crotch shot to an editor probably isn't a good idea.

Yeah. Once you give that away, you have nothing with which to bargain left. see what I did was, I sent her a pic of me IN my underwear. As a teaser. Now if I get that offer...

Glad the call went pretty well. Good luck on revisions!

Thanks!

Callalily - Thank you!

carrie - Thank you. And I have no intention of disowning my penis at any point in the foreseeable future, to the press or anyone else. You may rest easy.

thothguard - Thanks mate! And hmmm... I never thought of that, but that's a good point. Ah well. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. lol.

stormie - Agent and I both feel she made quite a few good points. We'll probably be discussing the revisions more in depth once
1) we know for sure whether or not she's going to make an offer (tomorrow, probably)
2) we get an editorial letter.
By and large though, I think I could use the suggestions to make the book stronger (which is not to say I'm not worried, or that I'm 103% on board with everything she said.)

telford
06-08-2011, 06:21 AM
All the very best of luck to you Mr A. Go get em'. (Says a fully clothed Telford. Well, it's bloody cold.)

Mr. Anonymous
06-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks Telford. :) In my defense, it's sweltering here.

mccardey
06-08-2011, 08:08 AM
That's no defense, lad....

Get your hands up where we can see them!*

telford
06-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Shame on you McCardy. Charlie, cover your ears. (Telford slinks off giggling like a schoolgirl).

mccardey
06-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Shame on you McCardy. Charlie, cover your ears. (Telford slinks off giggling like a schoolgirl).

It's just something the nuns used to say. I have no idea what it means.....

Susan Littlefield
06-08-2011, 08:42 AM
lol, thanks guys.

tina - yes?

Call went fairly well, though the revisions being asked for are pretty extensive. As such, editor will probably wait to see my revision before potentially making an offer... Now I just feel drained. I think I'm going to go see a movie or something. Hopefully when I come back there'll be an email waiting for me with more details from my agent.

Thanks again for the support everyone. You're all great. :)

That's great news, Mr. A! You get to decide whether you want to make the revisions or not.

Big question: were you wearing your pants?

Mr. Anonymous
06-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Mccardey + Telford - lol!

Mccardey -

Get your hands up where we can see them!*

Just--a few--more--seconds...

Susan - You get to decide whether you want to make the revisions or not.

Very true. I got the powah, as they say.

were you wearing your pants?

at the theater or during the conference call?

Susan Littlefield
06-08-2011, 09:21 AM
were you wearing your pants?

at the theater or during the conference call?

Both! :roll::ROFL:

Anne Lyle
06-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Well done on surviving the call, and good luck with the revisions! The ones I got from my editor were a lot less detailed, but still required a good deal of work. On the plus side, he loved the finished result, and I'm very happy with the way it turned out too :)

Mr. Anonymous
06-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Susan - No! xP

Anne Lyle - Thanks so much. I'm glad to hear your revisions request turned out well for you. It gives me hope... lol.

Bufty
06-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Congratulations, Mr A, and good luck with the revisions.

aruna
06-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Let's all take our pants off in solidarity with Mr. Anonymous.

Mr. A, none of us will be fit to go out in public until you report back with news.

We'll wait here.

Um. For us UKers, who read "pants" as "underpants/knickers/panties", that conjures up some interesting images...

ETA -- and huge congrats, Mr A!

cooeedownunder
06-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Goodluck.

Anyone waiting here, who choses to do so in their underwear will probably have something snap off because it so damn cold....well, not as damn cold as it gets there, but cold for us.

Mr. Anonymous
06-09-2011, 03:06 AM
Bufty, Aruna, and cooeedownunder, thank you!

Jamiekswriter
06-09-2011, 03:19 AM
Congrats Mr. A!! Good luck with the revisions and I hope you get good news from the editor tomorrow!!

Mr. Anonymous
06-09-2011, 03:25 AM
Thanks Jamie! :)

Mr Flibble
06-09-2011, 03:28 AM
I've always been all 'fur coat and no knickers' anyway :D

thothguard51
06-09-2011, 03:38 AM
I've always been all 'fur coat and no knickers' anyway :D

A delightful image...