Cicadas are awesome!

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I especially love the Buick sized noise-makers when they fly in my car, dive bomb my kids, keep them awake at nap time, and get stuck in my hair.

We here in Missouri had a rare, noticeable earthquake this morning. The first thing I thought was "I hope it shook all those things out of their trees and they died when they hit the ground."

I'm a terrible person. Don't judge me!

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
you keep those cicadas there. I don't want to have to scoop them out of my pool.

And the earthquakes too. The hail that is currently pelting my car is quite enough for me, thank you very much.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
The earthquake was kind of cool. It was so small (4.2) that it was noticeable but didn't do any damage at all. It woke me up from a dead sleep though.

The cicadas...not so much. They are vile, detestable little creatures that, for the first time since I moved to my house 8 years ago, have made me regret having so many trees.

I saw some hail storms on The Weather Channel this morning...California maybe? I don't remember. It was pretty intense.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
That's the thing about tinnitus vs cicadas, I never know if it is just the buzzin' in my head until and unless one of the suckers dive-bombs me.

Glad to know the earthquake didn't cause damage and you are okay. I used to live in the New Madrid Fault Zone and found that a tad worrisome at first.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
That's the thing about tinnitus vs cicadas, I never know if it is just the buzzin' in my head until and unless one of the suckers dive-bombs me.

Glad to know the earthquake didn't cause damage and you are okay. I used to live in the New Madrid Fault Zone and found that a tad worrisome at first.

Thanks, yeah, not even any reported damage. Funny you would mention the New Madrid Fault Zone. My sister just said "It's starting, the NM Fault is gonna open up and swallow us whole!" People have been talking about that thing for years...I remember learning about it in elementary school and thinking we were going to have an earth-destroying earthquake any second. Tornadoes, now those are a problem for us...and cicadas.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our 13-year cicada event has just now died down. When you're up close, you can hear the clicks, but from far away it sounded like listening to an AC unit in a seashell.

I've never experienced an earthquake. I wouldn't mind feeling a little one, one where nobody was hurt and no damage was done, of course.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Our 13-year cicada event has just now died down. When you're up close, you can hear the clicks, but from far away it sounded like listening to an AC unit in a seashell.

I've never experienced an earthquake. I wouldn't mind feeling a little one, one where nobody was hurt and no damage was done, of course.

How long was your cicada event? Ours started about a week or so ago. Please someone tell me it won't be all summer!

When I was a kid it was one of the years where two species hatched at once which only happens once every 300 or so years. Nightmare!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know the feeling. One got in my car about a week ago. At the time I couldn't stop to kill the little bastard. I had to drive several miles with it buzzing in the back somewhere.

When I got home I couldn't tell whether the buzzing in my ear was my tinnitus, the "carryover" of having the cicada in my car, or the cicadas outside. Or a combination.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How long was your cicada event? Ours started about a week or so ago. Please someone tell me it won't be all summer!

When I was a kid it was one of the years where two species hatched at once which only happens once every 300 or so years. Nightmare!
Ours started about three weeks ago, but they weren't too bad until the second week. They were awful for about two weeks (they were everywhere) and now they're starting to go away. By the end of this week they should just about all be gone.

I just poked my head outside to check. I don't even hear a cicada now.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Ours started about three weeks ago, but they weren't too bad until the second week. They were awful for about two weeks (they were everywhere) and now they're starting to go away. By the end of this week they should just about all be gone.

Thank God! I thought it was gonna be all summer. I feel a bit better about it now.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Ours was about four weeks, maybe five. Of course this was the periodical cicadas. Our dog day cicadas will start in July.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Being surrounded by hordes of 13-year cicadas at full volume is like being in a not very scary horror movie. It's like a crazy monster music at full volume just before the badly made FX SyFy monster jumps out from between the trees.

Last edited:

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Being surrounded by horded of 13-year cicadas at full volume is like being in a not very scary horror movie. It's like a crazy monster music at full volume just before the badly made FX SyFy monster jumps out from between the trees.
This describes it perfectly.

I had one try to fly in my mouth at a soccer game. Eeeewww.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This describes it perfectly.

I had one try to fly in my mouth at a soccer game. Eeeewww.

Oh.God.

I would've died on the spot. I don't mind the fevered noise they make but they are way too big and gross.

*searches for puking smiley*

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
*searches for puking smiley*

5.gif

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cicadas are edible. I've not tried them but I would. Just remember to pluck the wings and legs off first. The little claws on the legs get caught inside you if you don't.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

I just poked my head outside to check. I don't even hear a cicada now.
Your avatar made me think they might just make good fishing bait.

Sullivan Lee

Registered
Reaction score
I love cicadas -- insects in general. I was in the middle of the Kentucky brood a couple of years ago (13 year cicadas? 17 year?) and it sounded like there was a freaky UFO hovering over my head for weeks. It was a wonderful sound, and strangely, not at all oppressive or annoying. The uncannily loud cricket who has been hiding in my room for the past few nights, though -- that's another story. I didn't try eating the cicadas, but I'm going to eat this cricket if I catch him.