PDA

View Full Version : Ghostwriting and money

holeysheetitsaghost
06-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Hello all,

I have been searching the web for info, and it is quite surprising (to me at least ;)), how little information there is about Ghostwriting. It strikes me as an extremely interesting profession, and the cloak of secrecy that surrounds it appeals to me. Talk about an "anonymous writer"!! A recent article in the paper made me start digging around the web. The article was quite good, but left out important details. The blurb didn't give any clue as to the earning potential for said writers, and after looking around it seems that what I can find is a little "dubious" at best. "If you buy my training course I will teach you how to make seven figures a year as a Ghostwriter!" /pitch :rolleyes: - Sound familiar to anyone?

Anyway, I thought that as we are (mostly) all in love with the written word here, I could expand my viewing potential to a few hundred people. Maybe you have seen something (in a magazine, book, online), or heard something about the earnings of a "Ghost", or know of someone who is one? I'd really appreciate any input on my quest for the truth.

Thank you,

holey :)

IceCreamEmpress
06-08-2011, 04:43 AM
Amanda Evans's blog Ghostwriting Uncovered (http://www.ghostwritinguncovered.com/2009/01/the-2009-list-of-ghostwriting-jobs-websites/) is quite informative.

Just like most forms of writing-for-hire, this is a field where the ordinary path is to begin with smaller and lower paying jobs, build a portfolio, and parlay that into higher profile, higher paying jobs. Meeting deadlines with clean copy is probably the single most important skill any ghostwriter can have.

Jenna Glatzer (the original owner of this site before Macallister Stone so ably succeeded her) has done some pretty high profile ghostwriting. She has blogged (http://jennaglatzer.blogspot.com/2010/06/why-im-ghostwriter.html) about it and if I recall correctly has written about it in at least one of her books on writing (The Street-Smart Writer, I think).

I have done some ghostwriting and collaborative writing on other people's projects. If you have a specific question that I can answer from my own experience, I'll do my best.

scope
06-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Although I've done a bit of ghostwriting, you would have to be far more specific before I could offer any advice or opinion. I'd suggest you do your research, decide if you want to try to be a ghostwriter (of what) and then post some direct questions.