Plausibility of situation that sorta mirrors dissociative identity disorder

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
Note: That was supposed to say "mirrors" not "mirros"

This is for my WIP, Call Me Robin Hood, and my MC is Joe. The main premise of CMRH is that Joe exposes jerks for what they are to their girlfriends and gives the nice guys a shot at love. I won't go into detail about how he does it, since it's not really important for now. And I'm wondering about the internal conflict I set for him, which revolves around his confidence.

He starts off in the novel super unconfident in himself. Here's a little insight to why that's the case. When Joe was really young and his dad was about to spank him, Joe started crying. His dad said there was no way he'd give birth to a son who's a little girl, which is when his dad started to physically abuse his mom. He thought his wife cheated and Joe was not his son. So that makes Joe feel worthless and no good and weak - especially after not calling for help whenever his dad physically abused his mom while he was growing up. This lasted from when he was 4 to when he was 10, when his mom got badly hurt and Joe finally called 911. His dad went to jail, and by the start of the story, is released but is out of Joe's life.

Once the Robin Hood stuff gets going and he starts dating Anne, his best friend who he's liked for a long time, things start to change.

I was thinking he gets all this newfound confidence from being Robin Hood and feeling superior over the jerks and being this figure both loved and hated. He can't take not doing any RH stuff for too long. And soon enough, his confidence turns into cockiness, which then starts his descent into "jerkdom." But when he hits rock bottom, he realizes the confidence wasn't truly his, but belonged to who he was under the mask of Robin Hood.

I was also thinking that Anne gives his true self more confidence. She's been his best friend since he was 10 and has been supporting him and helping him try to gain more confidence in himself. But when being RH gives him more power than Anne is able to give, he starts focusing a lot more on the RH stuff and soon neglects Anne, which is when he starts turning into a jerk. Being Robin Hood basically gave him a superiority complex, and since he wanted to continue to feel high and mighty, he ends up losing sight of who he truly is.

So that's pretty much my thought process on this whole Joe's true self versus Joe under the mask of Robin Hood, which reminds me of DID. I mean, it's not really two separate identities that don't know about each other, so IDK if it does work or not. It makes sense in my head, but I need to make sure it makes sense in real life.

If anyone can offer some insight, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I think it's completely plausible, but not terribly like DID. We all have roles we play in life - partner, parent, employee - and we often behave quite differently in different social settings. Many introverted writers have a "game face" that they put on at public appearances - it's like their writer self is a different person who can cope with the attention, even though their everyday self wants to run a mile. And putting on that persona can make you a more self-confident person all round, even if you are never going to be a true extrovert.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
It's not exactly DID - but I don't see why it has to be explained that way. The rationale for your plot developments, seem plausible enough as you have explained them. Most modern day super-hero stories - illustrate how difficult it is to lead a secret double life. The alter ego, or the SUPER ego conflicts with the 'normal' ego. This is a problem in their normal lives - with their normal relationships. So yeah - I'd say you've got an audience primed to accept theses issues. You don't mention it specifically - but his reasoning for 'unmasking' the 'bad guys' is just a way of unmasking his father - over and over. So sure, I can see his motivation.

Anaximander

Registered
Reaction score
I have a particular interest in dissociative disorders for... various reasons... and I'd say that this is plausible. It's not exactly DID, but it has dissociative elements not unlike those sometimes observed with schizoid personality disorders. People with that style of mentality can be susceptible to "living behind a mask" and it's possible to forget where the mask ends and the real identity begins. Even when forewarned and watching for it.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a psychologist. Your story sounds like it's as far away from DID as the moon is from spaghetti and the same attributing his behavior to schizoid personailty disorder. I would describe his feelings and behavior can simply be attributed to your character figuring out who he is, but not in a literal sense. If he has a weak sense of self (ego strength) and he's the type of person who behaves differently in various situations or with different people, he is probably (emotionally) immature and unconfident to stand on his own, regardless of the situation. As he gains mastery over himself socially, he'll become more confident and sure of himself. He won't worry about the reactions of others. Not everyone with problems, or a difficult childhood, or whose parents didn't say the right things ends up with a psychiatric disorder.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip mgyncleyn. Never realized that was possible hehe.

And thanks for all the input, Anne Lyle, Write Knight, Anaximander, and Pink Amy!

I'm so glad it works! Also, I knew it wasn't DID at all, but I couldn't figure out what to title this to show it was a psychological thing and DID was the first thing that came to mind that seemed a bit similar.

So happy I can go on writing this - I got stuck because I realized I lost sight of describing his internal conflict. So when I remembered my idea for it, I worried if it was plausible or not.

Thanks again, guys!