period in quotes? and colon questions

thrillerz

Registered
Reaction score
Where does period/question mark go if last word is in double quotes?

Where does period/question mark go if last word is in single quotes?

Why use a colon after the word line in, "Bottom line, why take the chance?"

Thanks!

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
For the first two, I'm not sure what you mean. Is the last word itself the only thing in quotes? In which case, I don't see how it could be in single quotes.
The general rule in U.S. usage is that the period always goes inside the quotation marks whether it makes sense or not. The question marks goes in or out depending on sense. Eg: Are you reading a book? Are you reading my essay, "What to Do Now"?
As for #3, it could be "Bottom line: Why take the chance?" or it could be as you have written it. Either one is acceptable. Your choice.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Answers for American English:

Period goes inside quotation marks, whether single or double.

For dialogue (when a speaker is asking a question), question mark always goes inside quotation marks.

Otherwise, the position of the question mark depends on what is inside the quotation marks:

If the quoted material is a question and would normally have a quotation mark, then the question mark goes inside the quotation marks:

"Today's topic is 'How do you grow vegetables when you don't have a garden?'"

If the quoted material would not have a question mark, then the question mark goes outside the quotation marks:

"Did you say today's topic is 'How to grow vegetables when you don't have a garden'?"

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

For dialogue (when a speaker is asking a question), question mark always goes inside quotation marks.

Otherwise, the position of the question mark depends on what is inside the quotation marks:

If the quoted material is a question and would normally have a quotation mark, then the question mark goes inside the quotation marks:

If the quoted material would not have a question mark, then the question mark goes outside the quotation marks:

I think the period works the same way, outside the quotation marks if it is used in a non-dialogue manner. I could be wrong about this, but it seems to make sense as a simple matter of consistency. Anyone else know a specific rule that would differentiate the use of a period from the use of a question mark (or exclamation mark, or even a comma or semicolon)?

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Colon:

'why take the chance' is the explanation to 'bottom line': the colon shows that.

[The] bottom line [is]: why take the chance?

Quoting:

(British English) we do do it the american way too, but also:

When it's a full quote inside a quote:

'Bottom line: why take the chance?' he said so softly.

'He said "Bottom line: why take the chance?" so softly.'

I know we don't use punctuation inside the quote if it's a book:

'She said she'd read "War Of The Worlds".'

"I've read "War Of The Worlds",' she said.

His book is: "Bottom line: Why take the chance?" (I'f the author has included the question mark, you do to, if he hasn't: it's "Bottom libe: Why take the chance", you don't either).

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

The colon and semicolon always go outside the closing quotation mark.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

"Did you say today's topic is 'How to grow vegetables when you don't have a garden'?"

For U.S. publications, the above is completely correct.

I think the period works the same way, outside the quotation marks if it is used in a non-dialogue manner. I could be wrong about this, but it seems to make sense as a simple matter of consistency. Anyone else know a specific rule that would differentiate the use of a period from the use of a question mark (or exclamation mark, or even a comma or semicolon)?

The "arbitrary" U.S. rule is consistent for commas and periods: All go inside the end quote when they appear together. Always. No exceptions:

"D-Day was June 6, 1944," the teacher said.

The teacher said, "D-Day was June 6, 1944."

The question mark and exclamation point depend.

If the entire line is a question or exclamation, it's treated the same as the punctuation above:

"D-Day was June 6, 1944?" the student asked.

"D-Day was June 6, 1944!" the teacher shouted.

In rarer cases where the quotation is part of an interior statement (or a quoted title) the question mark and exclamation point go outside the endquote.

Did you read Sgt. Smith's account of D-Day, "I Was There"?

The teacher screamed to read "I Was There"!

Colons and semicolons always go outside the end quote:

These are contained in "I Was There": the song, "Anchors Aweigh"; the poem, "Soldier Boy"; and the photo of a steel helmet half-buried in the sand of Omaha Beach.

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
The "arbitrary" U.S. rule is consistent for commas, exclamation marks, and the period: All go inside the end quote when they appear together. Always. No exceptions:

Not quite. The US rule is consistent for commas and periods: inside the quotes. But exclamation marks follow the same rule (well-explained above) as for question marks: if the exclamation applies to what's inside the quotes, the exclamation mark goes inside the quotes, but if the exclamation applies to the whole sentence, it goes outside.

Mary said, "I'm so excited that John and Bill are having a baby!"

I'm so excited that John and Bill are "having a baby"!

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Thanks - lots to learn.

Get yourself a basic grammar book. I'd recommend something used to teach grammar to junior high kids, since these are written at a basic level and easy to understand and learn from.

If you can't find jr high/high school level books, try your local university or junior college bookshop. Ask for the textbooks that are used for basic English classes.

Skim through the choices and buy the one that you find easiest to understand.

My standby for many years was The Little, Brown Handbook. (Published by Little, Brown...get it? That always cracked me up. :D) There are many good ones, though. Choose the one that works best for you.

thrillerz

Registered
Reaction score
Terie - what about using OWL (from Perdue Univ.) online? How does that compare to buying yet another book? Thanks.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not quite. The US rule is consistent for commas and periods: inside the quotes. But exclamation marks follow the same rule (well-explained above) as for question marks: if the exclamation applies to what's inside the quotes, the exclamation mark goes inside the quotes, but if the exclamation applies to the whole sentence, it goes outside.

what about using OWL (from Purdue Univ.) online? How does that compare to buying yet another book?

Terie and a recent print reference in my library agree with OWL Purdue Online Writing Lab: Place a question mark or exclamation point within closing quotation marks if the punctuation applies to the quotation itself. Place the punctuation outside the closing quotation marks if the punctuation applies to the whole sentence.

I've used writing texts and evaluations from Purdue/Ball State College, and they've always proved great tools.

My apologies for the flawed part of my off-the-cuff response and applaud Terie for the correction. A huge perk for posters in this public forum is discussion to keep each other honest. I'll go back to try a fix for my mess, not to cover myself but to erase an oops on the blackboard.

Ha ha, still working on the examples. Not yet the best. Thanks, Bufty.

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com

Gawd-dang it. Mainly for proofing reasons, can you show me what the op's example should like then, pleeeeeeeeease. :)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com

Gawd-dang it. Mainly for proofing reasons, can you show me what the op's example should like then, pleeeeeeeeease. :)

Medievalist was talking about colons and semicolons in relation to the end of the quoted material. If a colon or semicolon is in the middle of the quoted material, you use it as usual.

Hence:

The following couples are "having a baby": John and Bill, Jeremy and Bob, and Jim and Bruce.

Not:

The following couples are "having a baby:" John and Bill, Jeremy and Bob, and Jim and Bruce.

Deleted member 42

Medievalist was talking about colons and semicolons in relation to the end of the quoted material. If a colon or semicolon is in the middle of the quoted material, you use it as usual.

Yep.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Crossed reading wires :) the op asked why the colon went after 'line', Medievalist was replying to someone else further down when they asked where and when the colon would go before/after the end of qutoes.

Had me thinking it was a different way of presenting colons across the sea. Which had me worried.

Teach me not to skip, won't it. :)

Hence:

Not: