Freedom of speech or invasion of privacy?

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110606/ap_on_re_us/us_abortion_billboard

The sign on Alamogordo's main thoroughfare shows 35-year-old Greg Fultz holding the outline of an infant. The text reads, "This Would Have Been A Picture Of My 2-Month Old Baby If The Mother Had Decided To Not KILL Our Child!"
Fultz's ex-girlfriend has taken him to court for harassment and violation of privacy. A domestic court official has recommended the billboard be removed.

But Fultz's attorney argues the order violates his client's free speech rights.

"As distasteful and offensive as the sign may be to some, for over 200 years in this country the First Amendment protects distasteful and offensive speech," Todd Holmes said.

OK, let's first get this out of the way. This man is an ass. I can sympathize with mourning an unborn child that he didn't want to be aborted, or if possibly a miscarriage, but this is just cruel.

Having said that, does he have a point in-as-so-far as freedom of speech?

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Having said that, does he have a point in-as-so-far as freedom of speech?
Yes.

*Edited to add -- since mscelina posted in between.

Part of the question to be determined is how he found out about both the pregnancy and how it terminated (abortion or miscarriage).

However, as much as I hate to side with WBC, since the Supreme Court saw fit to permit their hate speech, in public, and impinging on the privacy of the families in question, then this idjit can spew as well.

Last edited:

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Did you guys read the link?

There's a mention of the Westboro morons protesting furnerals. If that is considered free speech, how is this not?

There are some facts that need to be cleared up. If she told him she aborted, then how does privacy enter into the equation? He's not her doctor.

Again, this is a very asshole thing to do, but legaly?

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
He's in the wrong. Even if she aborted, I'm sure that she had the right to do so. If she miscarried, all the more sadness. Either way, there's just no justification for putting up a billboard.

Arcturus

Registered
Reaction score
This is tricky, with no names mentioned, I would say it stays within the boundaries of freedom of speech. I sub teach Elementary, and every day on the way to Anderson Mill, there are protestors in front of a clinic. This clinic is also within a mile of another Elementary school.

Distasteful and some rather interesting questions being asked while parents are taking kids to school? Probably. But violating a freedom of speech issue? Hardly.

Imagine having to look at this, these were posted all over Austin a while back

http://newsone.com/nation/casey-gan...dangerous-place-for-black-people-is-the-womb/

My biggest issue with those protestors is that there's about 650 living children between the two schools just blocks away, yet they don't see fit to spend some time those living kids. Maybe go tutor a struggling first grader or mentor a 5th grader having problems.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Does the sign name him or her, specifically? Not clear from the article.

If it does the latter, I think it most certainly crosses the line.

This was what I thought about, too. The article doesn't say outright, but the impression I got was that she wasn't named specifically. She appears to have been just referred to as "the mother."

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
The other question I had about this issue is:

Does the fact that it's a billboard tip the scale in some way? In other words, if the guy had just told some people in conversation that his girlfriend had had an abortion, would that not be protected speech?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
This was what I thought about, too. The article doesn't say outright, but the impression I got was that she wasn't named specifically. She appears to have been just referred to as "the mother."
If she's not named, then I'm not sure there's a problem. No way to know--when seeing the billboard--that it refers to real person (the mother) and a real abortion.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The guy is a complete asshole, but if the billboard cannot be traced back to her personally, then it is not an invasion of her privacy. Of course, I am not a lawyer.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
If she's not named, then I'm not sure there's a problem. No way to know--when seeing the billboard--that it refers to real person (the mother) and a real abortion.

Yeah, if there's no name, then probably the only way anyone would find out the identity of the mother is if someone saw the picture of Fultz, recognized him, and deduced the identity of the mother through whatever they knew about Fultz's personal life.

That does seem like a possibility. But I don't think I would say that's enough to make it unprotected speech.

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's a link to the Google search results for images of the billboard.

hurghk! That picture kind of renders me unable to take this discussion seriously anymore. I withdraw.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
A sponsor's name appears on the billboard. Perhaps that's what Veinglory was referencing.

mmallico

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever your beliefs when it comes to abortion, the freedom of speech is still there. However, without knowing the specific contents of the billboard I can't say for sure and what the laws are that regard privacy. Does anyone have a copy of them?

If it is not outside the laws of privacy and she did have an abortion, then it is within the freedom of speech, I would say. If she did have a miscarriage, then it is not within the freedom of speech. That would fall within the same reason the news media can not slander a person's name.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
At first glance I would say it's protected speech but I wonder if there is a case to be made on the argument that he is accusing the mother of 'killing' a 'child.' Since the felony accusation is directed at one person, who could be identifiable by others, is this libel?

mmallico

Registered
Reaction score
At first glance I would say it's protected speech but I wonder if there is a case to be made on the argument that he is accusing the mother of 'killing' a 'child.' Since the felony accusation is directed at one person, who could be identifiable by others, is this libel?

I don't think so. According to the Legal Dictionary

1) n. to publish in print (including pictures), writing or broadcast through radio, television or film, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his/her reputation, by tending to bring the target into ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others

If it was untrue, then it is libel. If it wasn't, then it isn't. And she did kill, whether someone wants to call it a 'child' or 'fetus.' Abortion always entails killing. There is no need to sugercoat it.

Last edited:

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
The other question I had about this issue is:

Does the fact that it's a billboard tip the scale in some way? In other words, if the guy had just told some people in conversation that his girlfriend had had an abortion, would that not be protected speech?

I imagine it does. Individuals cannot tape conversations with others without asking for permission first. Similarly, hearsay is objectionable in the courtroom. However, putting a billboard up invites strangers to your conversation. You have negated your right to privacy by extending the invitation.