PDA

View Full Version : The Weirdest Thing

popmuze
06-07-2011, 04:10 AM
As many of my fans and followers know, I've got full manuscripts pending with a bunch of agents, many in the five to six month range.
Today I was informed by someone who used to regularly email me that he's continued to email me but apparently I'm not getting his emails. I can send him emails and he receives them, but when he replies, I don't get them. He tried it today and I didn't get his email.
I'm wondering what gives here?
Obviously, I have a hitch in my email.
As far as the agents who've had my manuscript, I suppose if they were really hot for it and emailed me to say so and never got a reply for me, they could have always called me. Unless they took me for an arrogant so and so who wouldn't even respond.
But I'm still figuring, anyone who really wanted or needed to reach me, would have.
So, on the odd chance that some or all of these agents have already responded to me, I'm pretty sure it was with a rejection. But still, maybe it was a detailed rejection. Maybe the rejection would have offered some clues as to what prevented it from being an acceptance. Maybe there would have been a theme. Or maybe it was a form rejection, which in itself is instructive.
In short, should I bother these agents further by revealing my email plight?

Alessandra Kelley
06-07-2011, 04:21 AM
I wouldn't. The last thing you want to do is be a pest.

When my original email adddress became a mysterious mail-eating hole, I put an announcement in the news section of my website. I figured people seriously trying to get ahold of me would probably find it, and anyone who wasn't looking for it probably would also be put off if I pursued them asking about old emails.

hillaryjacques
06-07-2011, 04:29 AM
If it has been six months and you haven't heard anything, I think a follow-up email wouldn't be out of line, especially since you've had this email issue. However, is this issue resolved? Do you have another email address that's functional which you could redirect them to?

suki
06-07-2011, 04:30 AM
ETA: You could just status query, and then tell them you are having email issues, so please respond to a different email or by phone.

I might. It's a risk, but you have to decide which side of the risk you wish to be on. BUT, if you do contact them, do it from an email not having glitches.

You may piss them off. They might not believe you. I'm not sure I always believe people who claim they didn't get the email, aren't getting emails, etc. ;)

So, you need to decide which you're more willing to risk - not contacting them, and finding out later they tried to reach you, or always wondering. Or maybe making them irritable, or think you might not be telling the truth.

If you are really not getting all your email, and can verify that more than one email sender can't reach you - ie, have a bunch of people try, so you know it's not just that one guy (meaning then it's probably his email, not yours), then I'd be tempted to send an email from an alternate address.

For me, I'd be more driven crazy by wondering. But, you need to word it professionally, keep it short and just know you are taking a risk.

~suki

rugcat
06-07-2011, 04:33 AM
I wouldn't. The last thing you want to do is be a pest.I disagree.

Agents are busy; if they sent a couple of emails without a response, they might well have figured you'd found other representation and just blew them off. It happens.

A quick communication explaining your email issues is not being a pest, and I doubt it would be viewed that way.

Alessandra Kelley
06-07-2011, 04:36 AM
I disagree.

Agents are busy; if they sent a couple of emails without a response, they might well have figured you'd found other representation and just blew them off. It happens.

A quick communication explaining your email issues is not being a pest, and I doubt it would be viewed that way.

I am rethinking my attitude. I suspect I have been too negative.

aekap
06-07-2011, 04:46 AM
Not sure what email provider you are using, but is it possible to go back and check your spam filter?

AlishaS
06-07-2011, 04:52 AM
If the agents have had your MS for five to six months and you have yet to send a status inquiry, I really don't think it's out of line. Will they believe your e-mail issue -*shrug*- who knows, but really what do you have to loose?

popmuze
06-07-2011, 05:11 AM
Well, the truth is, I've probably status queried a couple of them. A while ago one or two got back to me saying they were far behind in their reading. But several have never responded at all. It would be ironic if they responded but I never received the emails. Even they were responding to say they were behind in their reading.
I've been getting emails at this address from a lot of people, so obviously some of them are getting through.
It's a mystery.

rainsmom
06-07-2011, 05:17 AM
I don't have an answer for you for the e-mails you've already sent, but for future mail to agents, you might want to white list the domain name, just in case it's your spam catcher that's the problem. With important mail, I do that proactively, just in case!

popmuze
06-07-2011, 06:54 AM
I don't have an answer for you for the e-mails you've already sent, but for future mail to agents, you might want to white list the domain name, just in case it's your spam catcher that's the problem. With important mail, I do that proactively, just in case!

I usually get to see what's in my spam folder. It's just that the emails go directly into it.

CAWriter
06-07-2011, 10:15 AM
I had this trouble when I signed with my agent. He had actually sent me a detailed reply to a previous message and I didn't get it. When I didn't respond to his message of interest, he thought I'd lost interest in working with him. He actually messaged me on FB to see if there was a problem.

It turns out there was some kind of fatal incompatibility between my email system and his. I created a new gmail account to make sure it wasn't an issue in the future.

I think if it's been as long as you say, you truly don't have anything to lose. Either,
1) They responded favorably, didn't hear from you and would be glad to have the mystery solved;
2) Responded unfavorably so following up isn't going to change anything;
3) They hadn't contacted you at all, in which case it isn't likely to change anything either. If they're interested they'll know how to reach you, and if they aren't, it won't make any difference.

A follow-up of any sort after six months isn't being a pest.

rwam
06-07-2011, 02:34 PM
I would definitely re-ping each agent that hasn't emailed you in the past six months, BUT make sure your email issues have been resolved first. Did you check all your spam folders/email options, to make sure you're not filtering out certain emails?

popmuze
06-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Mystery solved. I came upon a block list in my email program and discovered the guy who'd been trying to send me emails. None of the agents were on it.
Which means they haven't been trying to reach me.
Which means they're still holding onto my manuscript.
Maybe one or more of them will respond if I ever get an offer from someone else.

Susan Littlefield
06-07-2011, 06:47 PM
In this situation, can't you just ask for a status?

kaitlin008
06-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Somewhat echoing Susan: how long has it been since you last sent a nudge email? If you haven't sent one at all yet, I would send one immediately. Even if you sent a nudge at three months, I would send another.

silver76
06-07-2011, 07:17 PM
I thought it was weird you hadn't heard back in six months. I might just do a regular nudge. I think the email stuff- might be viewed as clingy...

DSA
06-07-2011, 07:35 PM
FYI: I have Earthlink that I access through Windows Live Mail. Back in January Windows Live Mail stopped downloading any email from a Yahoo address. I only discovered this by accident. I had to go to WebMail in Earthlink to get any email from a Yahoo address. I tried to find corrections but was not able to. My son, who had a Yahoo email address stopped using it altogether last fall because of similar difficulties.

popmuze
06-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Somewhat echoing Susan: how long has it been since you last sent a nudge email? If you haven't sent one at all yet, I would send one immediately. Even if you sent a nudge at three months, I would send another.

I get mixed messages (and have mixed feelings) on the effects of nudging. I actually did nudge everyone two months ago. Nobody even wrote back. I'm thinking my emails may be disappearing into their spam filters by now, due to too much nudging.