New author epublishing results after 8 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekJCanyon

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy,

Just joined the boards and I thought I’d provide some data on my own personal efforts at self-publishing my ebooks.

This is just an example of what one newbie author with no previous publishing history accomplished in 8 months. Your results may vary, and your goals might preclude you from starting down this road. But for me, epublishing has been an outstanding success.

I epublished my first ebook back in late September 2010. I now have 4 titles available. I’ve sold over 7500 units and earned over $6300 in 8 months. I’ve had about $4100 in expenses, resulting in about $2000 in profits. If sales continue at their current rate, I should gross about $15000 in my first 15 months as an author.

For those of you who like backup data and nifty charts, here you go:

2011_05_May_Royalties.jpg

(I’ve been experimenting with price, which resulted in May’s royalty spike. For full details, see this post on my blog.)

What can you take away from my results? I’m not a wunderkind like Hocking but I’ve managed to make a fair bit of money in a short amount of time.

Am I making more money than I could have in trade publishing? I emphatically believe the answer is yes.

Even if I started looking for an agent last September, I probably wouldn’t have found a publisher yet. My first books are cyberpunk, which are not flying off the shelves right now. It’s very doubtful a publisher would have been interested. And even if I wrote in a popular genre, it would have likely taken months to get a publisher interested. I’d say that if I had gone the trade route, I would still be looking for a publisher.

After I found a publisher, there would be 3-6 months of wrangling over a contract. Then, 12-18 months for my book to hit store shelves. I’d get anywhere from $1500 to $2500 when I turned in the manuscript, and another like amount when the book hit the shelves a year or more later. Then, my book would have to earn out the advance before I saw any more royalties. Who knows how long that would have taken?

But with epublishing, in 8 months I’ve made a net $2000. In 15 months I’ll net around $10,000. Ten grand is a LOT more than I could have gotten from a trade publisher as an unknown author.

For me, epublishing has been a great success. I hope it continues to be.

But is it a good idea for you to epublish? Well, if you can afford to spend up to $1500 on cover art and an editor, and you can wait 8 months or more to break even, than I so go for it. Your story isn’t earning you any money languishing on your hard drive while you hunt for a publisher.

I’d say that the chances that you’ll earn a profit in a year are just as likely, if not more so, than finding an agent and a publisher.

Hope this helps any folks out there debating whether they should self-publish ebooks.

Over on my blog, Adventures in ePublishing, I post monthly sales reports like those above. I also talk about advertising, marketing, pricing, and other epublishing topics. I’ve also just started POD on CreateSpace. So if you want to learn from my experience, hop on over!

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Let's please be clear that epublishing and self-publishing aren't actually synonyms.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Amen. You are self-published in electronic format, not e-published. And I would be willing to bet, after seven years' experience in epublishing, that your royalties won't be multiplying at the rate you project.

DerekJCanyon

Registered
Reaction score
MacAllister, oops! Sorry. Is there a way to move this thread to the e-publishing forum?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I find it interesting that your best title (Dead Dwarves Don't Dance) is the one that sells the most. It's one of those that makes me want to read a summary just because it's funny. Congrats. :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Let's please be clear that epublishing and self-publishing aren't actually synonyms.

Exactly. And it's "sucess" stories that put out blogs with titles like the OP's that confuse things for those who don't know any better. The way things are going right now, with people flooding boards and forums to wave their "e-published" banner, that term might end up synonymous with self-published the same way "indie" has when neither are actual synonyms.

The first step in ANY publishing venture should be research. That way, at the very least, you don't end up spewing out misinformation to those who come after.

DerekJCanyon

Registered
Reaction score
Kaitie, yes, Dead Dwarves Don't Dance is my favorite title, too. I've had many comments from fans that the title piqued their interest to check it out. Title is a very important marketing aspect for ebooks.

Well, I wasn't aware that my use of the term epublishing would cause such a firestorm. I apologize that my definition of epublishing is different from yours. Cyia, my blog subtitle clear states "self-publishing".

I was not trying to start an argument about terminology. I was trying to give this board some hard data about one author's success in selling ebooks.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Kaitie, yes, Dead Dwarves Don't Dance is my favorite title, too. I've had many comments from fans that the title piqued their interest to check it out. Title is a very important marketing aspect for ebooks.

Well, I wasn't aware that my use of the term epublishing would cause such a firestorm. I apologize that my definition of epublishing is different from yours. Cyia, my blog subtitle clear states "self-publishing".

I was not trying to start an argument about terminology. I was trying to give this board some hard data about one author's success in selling ebooks.

Hi Derek - LOVE the title! Although it gets me humming AC/DC now under my breath...

:D

It's not so much a "firestorm" as just keeping things cleared - as you can see below, I've been published, both in epub format and in print. Now if I say I've been epublished and YOU say you've been epublished, it's obviously not the same thing. I have a publisher and you do not. If I say I've been commercially published and you say you've self-published, it's clearly different.

The definition of epublishing has been pretty well established to mean the many digital publishers that exist out there - and have for years. With self-pubbing hitting a high note because of Amazon's open-door policy it may seem easy to confuse the two. But they're not the same and haven't been for years.

Again, love the title!

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws

To be fair, the difference between the two could be extremely important for some authors. Plus, as writers, what's more important than semantics? :D

Very interesting information you have there, I'll definitely have to take a closer look at your blog as I'm interested in this method of publishing, whatever it might be called. ;)

DerekJCanyon

Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl,Mindkiller, thanks for the definitions. I will be more precise about the differences between epublishing and self-publishing in my future posts.

DerekJCanyon

Registered
Reaction score
IdiotsRUs,

In December/January, I spent $240 on paid online advertising. It had no discernable impact, so I stopped.

Here is the extent of my other marketing efforts thus far:
my blog
Facebook
Twitter
my author website
commenting on other author blogs
posting on forums

I haven't done any giveaways or anything like that.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Any discernible way of figuring which impacted best? Which forums etc. (kindle boards I assume for starters. Just posting in the here is my book forum, or general interaction etc? I got a bit uncomfortable there after inferences of if .I didn't self pub it was cos I didn't love my work enough...etcetc I might try again)

DerekJCanyon

Registered
Reaction score
IdiotsRUs,

No, I have no concrete data on what had the best impact on my sales. I did an exercise of comparing daily sales numbers to blog posts, forum posts, etc. I saw no correlation.

And, yes, this is disheartening. It would be great to see a spike in sales when I post on KindleBoards, or a spike in sales when I get mentioned in the Huffington Post. But I don't.

I'll be talking about marketing on my blog tonight, if you want to learn more.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Self-published in e-book format.

E-books, like print books, can be self-published. And self-published books can be in e-book form, printed book form, or both.

--Ken

Yes, which I had said in my earlier post. See?

You are self-published in electronic format, not e-published.

Point still remains; the OP is self published, not epublished. Period.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I see why the self/e-publishing thing really needs to be said more than once. It's that kind of harping that scares people away.

I wondered if you'd mind linking your covers? One of the things we always hear is that a good cover sells more than anything else. I definitely think title has influenced your sales, but have you noticed similar things with cover art?

It's interesting that you don't see sales spikes related to marketing. I'd love to see an author set up a similar situation and put the books for sale with no marketing aside from a simple website and see what happens. I've still never seen any data whatsoever that has found that people buy books based on media. The Huffington Post thing is surprising, though. I'd really think that would have more influence.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the stats, Derek, and welcome to AW. :)

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . Point still remains; the OP is self published, not epublished. Period.
Ok, color me totally confused, then. Apparently I misconstrued this: "I epublished my first ebook back in late September 2010."

Perhaps the issue is a hair-splitting distinction between "publishing" and "being published."

--Ken

Deleted member 42

Ok, color me totally confused, then. Apparently I misconstrued this: "I epublished my first ebook back in late September 2010."

Perhaps the issue is a hair-splitting distinction between "publishing" and "being published."

--Ken

She's making a distinction between commercial epublishing and self publishing an ebook.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
He self-published his first book in ebook format in late September, 2010. The OP is using the terms 'self published' and 'e published' interchangably. He's not incorrect--He did e-publish his first book, but as a publisher himself.

See what I mean?

An epublished book is released by a publishing house, like Samhain or Ellora's Cave, gets edited and formatted by professionals and uploaded to multiple third party sites in multiple formats through multiple vendors. A self-published book is released by the author, who may or may not pay for editing and formatting and cover art, and isn't supported by the marketing/promotions and the established readerships already in existence for an epublishing company.

Status
Not open for further replies.