PDA

View Full Version : CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS - Trust & Treachery Anthology [$20 flat rate]

DayAlMohamed
06-06-2011, 10:01 AM
We are pleased to announce a new anthology Trust & Treachery: Tales of Power, Intrigue, and Violence.

Power struggles, politics, posturing: whether it’s parliament, the royal family, a coven, or your homeowner’s association, power breeds distrust, intrigue, and violence.

We want your awesomest stories!

We are looking for stories that are 1000-5000 words in length. We will pay $20 per story, to be paid on January 1, 2012 or on acceptance, whichever comes later.

Submissions will be open from June 15, 2011 to December 15th, 2011 and will be through our online submission manager. We will announce some acceptances as we go, but will hold a majority of slots open until the end. We also hope to respond to submissions within 6-8 weeks, but will hang on to some stories longer if they are being considered.

We are very open as to genre: Mystery, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, etc. Please no romance, YA or erotica (though relevant sexual content is fine).

Check out our Trust & Treachery site at http://treachery.mlcrawford.com (http://treachery.mlcrawford.com/)for more details. We look forward to reading your stories!

And feel free to send us a note if you have any questions at: TreacheryAntho@gmail.com

http://treachery.mlcrawford.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/TTSmall.jpg

Laurathewriter
06-21-2011, 10:30 PM
You want Treachery, eh?
Sounds like fun - I may be sending a little something :evil

DayAlMohamed
06-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks! Will look forward to reading it.

talkwrite
06-29-2011, 04:08 AM
"We will pay $20 per story, to be paid on January 1, 2012 or on acceptance, whichever comes later."

Hmmmmm. Can you explain the significance of January 1, 2012? That seems to be a deadline of some sort for you.

DayAlMohamed
10-13-2011, 10:07 PM
talkwrite,
My apologies! I thought I had answered this question. I am so sorry for not getting back to you in June when you posted this. The January 1, 2012 was a "hard deadline" that we, the editors, set for ourselves to ensure that authors were indeed paid for their work. That is all.
Sincerely,
Day Al-Mohamed
Editor, Trust & Treachery

DayAlMohamed
10-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone who has submitted so far to Trust & Treachery. We have received some amazing stories and poems. In fact, at last count, we are just shy of 250 submissions!

For those wondering about the process, Trust & Treachery has two editors and 5 readers. Each submission is read by at least 2 people (a reader and an editor) though usually 3 (reader and both editors). Each submission has a short 1-2 sentence summary written for it; a score from 1-10 (1 being “Help my eyes are bleeding!” to 10 which is, “This is so good I’m going to turn into some creature from Lord of the Rings” – Yessssss, my Precious); a justification for the score and a final Yes, No or Maybe vote. This is done by EACH reader. As a result, we’re running a little behind on our reading schedule, but you spent time and effort on your work and we will do the same.

I know some folks would like more information. So far, we have had 3 full acceptances and are holding about 20 stories for further consideration. The vast majority of submissions have been more mystery-oriented with a rather large number of stories taking a husband-wife revenge theme. Of the three acceptances, one is science-fiction, one is horror and the third is a personal-political story.

We hope to post more often over the next few months to keep you up-to-date. In the interim, please help pass the word and send us your best stories. Can’t wait to read them!

You can submit at the Trust & Treachery site at http://treachery.mlcrawford.com.

And, as always, feel free to send us a note if you have any questions at: TreacheryAntho@gmail.com

Sincerely,
Day Al-Mohamed

Cindyh2k
10-14-2011, 03:02 AM
Will authors be given free copies of the anthology?

padnar
10-14-2011, 09:00 AM
why cannot it be romance ? i have a story where an Hollywood actress marries an indian but than she learns about his treachery latter. I am very sad that i cannot send it.

DayAlMohamed
10-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Cindyh2k,
Our goal is to be able to do that, and I can tell you that as the editors, we will be advocating for that. But to be upfront, that will depend on our publisher; their demands and their costs.
Sincerely,
Day Al-Mohamed

DayAlMohamed
10-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Padnar,
We said "No romance" because of concerns of fitting romance's traditional storylines and stylings into an anthology with an emphasis on politics and treachery. However,we did leave the door open with the statement that "relevant sexual content is fine."

If you feel that the treachery content is strong enough within your story to fit within that exception, then please do send it. Also, with a December 15 deadline, we left plenty of time to encourage authors to actually write for Trust & Treachery as an anthology specifically. So there is always the option of writing a story. :) Regardless, we do hope you will consider T&T as a potential home for your work.
Sincerely,
Day Al-Mohamed

Manuel Royal
10-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Interesting theme. I'll try to come up with something!

Little Ming
10-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Hello,

Just a few questions. :)

From what I gathered on your website you are asking for one year exclusive print and electronic rights, is this correct? Will you also keep non-exclusive rights after this time? If so, for how long?

Do you have a publisher yet?

DayAlMohamed
11-13-2011, 03:04 AM
Little Ming,
Thanks for your question. Yes, the details on rights will be in scintillating legalese in the contract, *smile* but we are just asking for first world print and electronic rights. A year after publication, you will be free to republish it elsewhere. And in answer to your second question, we haven't settled on a publisher as yet. Thanks again and we look forward to your submission.

Best,
Day Al-Mohamed,

junebug85
11-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Hi there. Was just looking into submitting and found this: "that give us characters we can’t help but what to know more about..."

So I'm being a pain and pointing out the typo. :) Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. (please don't hate me)

Also, I hope you like my story!

Laurathewriter
11-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Ooh, Junebug. I'll bet you are a wonderful editor and beta reader :)

DayAlMohamed
11-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Junebug85,
Oops! Thanks for the catch. :) Nope, not a pain at all. It has been corrected. And a quick read-through found a couple of other embarrassing typos. And thanks also for the submission!
Best,
Day Al-Mohamed
http://treachery.mlcrawford.com

jeffo20
11-20-2011, 04:54 PM
I just came across this, and am intrigued. However, I'm getting 'error establishing database connection' popping up when I try to follow the link to your page; not sure if it's you or me, but you may want to take a look.

DayAlMohamed
11-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Jeffo20,
Thanks for the heads up. I went back through and checked the links and the site and it looks like everything is working fine now. I can only assume that it was some sort of temporary glitch. Please let us know if you continue to find problems. Thanks again!
Best,
Day Al-Mohamed

DayAlMohamed
11-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Time is flying by and we are enjoying reading everything that comes in. There are really some talented writers out there! So far, Trust & Treachery has received almost 350 submissions and we’re not through yet. Please keep sending in your writing!

We’re looking for stories that are really out-of-the-box; stories that look at the theme from new and unique angles, that give us characters we can’t help but want to know more about, and that provide endings that leave us breathless.

One of the items that we made specific mention of in our original call for submissions was that we’re looking for works representing the entire range of experience—including all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, religions, sexual orientations, abilities and views on life. The world of fiction and its characters and worlds, especially genre fiction and speculative fiction, can be diverse places with a richness and depth in both culture and community. As editors, we made both a personal and professional commitment to have that same richness represented in this anthology. But we need you to help us do it.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and we're feeling very thankful right now for the opportunity we have had to read some fantastic work, engage with some amazing people and learn more about what makes a great story. Tomorrow is also the 3 week mark before our submission period closes.

We hope you will join us in this adventure and wish you a wonderful Turkey Day!

Best,
Day Al-Mohamed

Debbie V
11-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to you too. I just subbed my story with a youngish protagonist. Hope you enjoy.