PDA

View Full Version : Eye Trauma

sk3erkrou
06-05-2011, 03:44 AM
Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to kill someone by stabbing them in the eye. I know that just hitting the eye wouldn't be enough, but is the skull there thin enough so a knife would be able to get through? Also, how long would a knife blade have to be to kill someone this way?

DeleyanLee
06-05-2011, 04:22 AM
The skull directly behind the eye is quite thin and actually fairly easy to break. A blade long enough would pierce into the frontal lobe, which probably wouldn't kill a person instantly but would be pretty much guaranteed to change their personality afterward. They're more likely to die of bleeding (if left long enough) or of infection than the actual wound.

Also note that the eye is actually an extension of the brain itself so in matters of wounds, infections and healing, look into how the brain reacts.

dancing-drama
06-06-2011, 02:09 AM
My friend has once been (accidentally) stabbed in the eye with a pencil by her sister. The pencil went right through her pupil and although it hurt, she was left without further damage. Telling from pictures (Yes, there are pictures.) the pencil was actually an inch or more inside of her.
She was definitely lucky but I think it takes something long and a deep stab to kill someone through one's eye.

Quentin Nokov
06-06-2011, 04:00 AM
I heard of a story where a BB. through the eye killed a person.

KQ800
06-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Short answer, yes. As said above the bone behind the eyes is very thin. check out this image:
http://www.learnbones.com/wp-content/uploads/Temporal-Bone.png

The eyes are level with the top of the nasal bone, but further back, just left of the top of the ethmoid bone.

You can stab a thin blade, like a screwdriver through it fairly easily. If you want a Ka-Bar to go through, the force sill have to far greater.

To kill quickly, you would have to twist the blade back and forth inside the cranial cavity to cause brain trauma. It is entirely possible that the knife will be stuck in the skull, and that significant force will be needed to remove it again.

Stijn Hommes
06-06-2011, 05:11 PM
I recently saw a killer on a TV show who stabbed people in the ear. The access there is even better. :) Thought you might want to know.

WriteMinded
06-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to kill someone by stabbing them in the eye. I know that just hitting the eye wouldn't be enough, but is the skull there thin enough so a knife would be able to get through? Also, how long would a knife blade have to be to kill someone this way?Good, long blade would do it. How about a sword? But you got a better answer from Stijn Hommes.

I recently saw a killer on a TV show who stabbed people in the ear. The access there is even better. :) Thought you might want to know.Yes! A much surer thing. The ears have it!

sk3erkrou
06-07-2011, 03:04 AM
Thanks so much for the help. I've decided to have my MC mention that he saw someone killed by being stabbed in the eye on TV. When he tries, it just pisses the guy off, and he ends up stabbing him in the ear for the kill.