Weight vs wingspan

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Now, this issue hasn't come up in my writings YET, but since I write fantasy and have this seed of an idea for a dragon story it's going to come up eventually: Roughly how should one calculate the wingspan of a fictional creature? A man-sized gargoyle-thing, or 2-ton dragon or whatever? It always kind of annoys me to see creatures flying on wings that seem far too small for them.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I researched this a few months ago. With Earth gravity, Earth atmospheric density, and realistic physics it's essentially impossible to have a flying animal bigger than about 100lbs and 20ft wingspan. The biggest birds and pterosaurs have all been vulture or albatross-like gliders which have great difficulty getting in the air unless they can run down a hill or jump off a cliff. So my opinion is, it's fantasy, make the creatures weigh what what a mammal would for their size and give them wings that look proportional and aren't so big they'd be hopelessly inconvenient. No they couldn't fly on Earth, but who cares.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
And birds tend to be hollow-boned so can have a bigger body cos it weighs less. But you do have to take into account whether they can take off from the floor or need height.

Have you ever seen a swan try and take off in a hurry? That will give you some idea of the problems.