PDA

View Full Version : Fun with an agent.

cooeedownunder
06-05-2011, 02:32 AM
Early October last year forward query. Half an hour later receive request for partial. Told it would it take about six weeks to get back to me.

January contact agent. Told was on holidays but would get back to me by mid-February.

Early April contact agent and received no response.

Early May contact agent again. Was convinced agent just hated story or found horrible stuff about me on the Internet and just couldn’t be bothered to respond. Receive no response for three weeks. Then told to submit full and that agent and associates would be having round table discussions the next day.

Day after receive email and told agent would get back to me by end of May. Promise! I thought OH, only four days to go.

:Shrug:

Caitlin Black
06-05-2011, 02:42 AM
Sounds dodgy to me...

It could be a simple issue that just blew out of control, but my gut is telling me that something fishy is going on.

Where's Silver King when you need him? Who better to smell out something fishy... :D

Good luck with the book. :)

cooeedownunder
06-05-2011, 03:07 AM
Is a well know agent. Respected. I guess it just shows the workloads some agents here have. I'm just finding the entire thing so very frustrating.

Caitlin Black
06-05-2011, 03:12 AM
First we need more publishers.

Then we can get more agents.

Then we can have more great writers published.

Thus, I'm announcing my candidacy for Prime Minister of Australia, with a focus on writing.

*applause applause*

:D

mccardey
06-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Patience, Coo - :Hug2:

This is publishingtime. It bears no relation at all to what we know as time..... ;)

Silver King
06-05-2011, 04:56 AM
...Where's Silver King when you need him? Who better to smell out something fishy... :D
You rang? ;)

I'd send the agent the following missive:

Dear Sir/Madam/Whatever:

Please note that, during the eight month interval since I first contacted you, my novel, The Life and Times of Coo Coo, has since been published by Random House.

I would have gotten back to you sooner, but I was busy with the book's launch and foreign rights acquisitions and just how in the world I was going to spend that 2.5 million dollar advance, that a courtesy call to your agency simply slipped my mind.

Yours very truly,

Me

SWest
06-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Maybe they're having trouble typing out all the 0000's on the advance check...

We'll all wait with you, though!
:e2arms:

cooeedownunder
06-05-2011, 05:45 AM
First we need more publishers.

Then we can get more agents.

Then we can have more great writers published.

Thus, I'm announcing my candidacy for Prime Minister of Australia, with a focus on writing.

*applause applause*

:Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

cooeedownunder
06-05-2011, 05:48 AM
Patience, Coo - :Hug2:

This is publishingtime. It bears no relation at all to what we know as time..... ;)

Yes, I know, but I wish she said, "I'll let you know in about two years" instead of putting me on a rickety seesaw.

cooeedownunder
06-05-2011, 05:51 AM
You rang? ;)

I'd send the agent the following missive:

Dear Sir/Madam/Whatever:

Please note that, during the eight month interval since I first contacted you, my novel, The Life and Times of Coo Coo and the Big Blood Sucking Silverfish, has since been published by Random House.

I would have gotten back to you sooner, but I was busy with the book's launch and foreign rights acquisitions and just how in the world I was going to spend that 2.5 million dollar advance, that a courtesy call to your agency simply slipped my mind.

Yours very truly,

Me :D

cooeedownunder
06-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Maybe they're having trouble typing out all the 0000's on the advance check...

We'll all wait with you, though!
:e2arms:

At this rate I won't be able to remember where my bank is to be able to desposit any advance.

SWest
06-05-2011, 05:53 AM
...I wish she said, "I let you know in about two years"...

:roll:

mccardey
06-05-2011, 06:00 AM
Look on the bright side. At least you didn't get run over by a sheep (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215695)...

cooeedownunder
06-05-2011, 06:08 AM
LOL - Maybe agent did.

scope
06-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Unless I missed it, I didn't see you mention anything about giving the agent an exclusive, so I assume you didn't. That being so, have you submitted to other agencies during this eigth month period? I hope you did.

Susan Littlefield
06-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Patience. :D

cooeedownunder
06-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Unless I missed it, I didn't see you mention anything about giving the agent an exclusive, so I assume you didn't. That being so, have you submitted to other agencies during this eigth month period? I hope you did.

I have submitted to three other agents here that I could by email, and never got past the query with two, and past the patial with another one (actually never head back from that agent at the end of the day either - so could still be sitting somewhere). This agent is my first choice though, and I'd decided that if she rejected me, that I'd rewrite parts of that WIP after I finish my current WIP, before I submitted it elsewhere.

cooeedownunder
06-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Patience. :D

Agent has thanked me twice now for my patience. Hopefully every body else who has submitted to agent has lost their paitence and shouted abuse at agent. :D

heyjude
06-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Yes, I know, but I wish she said, "I'll let you know in about two years" instead of putting me on a rickety seesaw.

I find it's best to just assume that this is what agents mean when they give a time frame. You have to interpret.

"I'll get back to you by the end of May" -- "but I didn't say which year..."

"4-6 weeks" means 14-16 weeks.

"3 months" means 13 months or maybe never, depending on whether it accidentally got deleted or fell behind the heater...

:tongue

cooeedownunder
06-05-2011, 03:17 PM
LOL Thanks. That made me feel better.

regdog
06-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Good luck, cooee

scope
06-05-2011, 08:37 PM
I have submitted to three other agents here that I could by email, and never got past the query with two, and past the patial with another one (actually never head back from that agent at the end of the day either - so could still be sitting somewhere). This agent is my first choice though, and I'd decided that if she rejected me, that I'd rewrite parts of that WIP after I finish my current WIP, before I submitted it elsewhere.

I think it's a mistake to limit your submssions to a total of 4 agents. Make a list of appropriate agents and keep submitting--5 a week or 10 every 2 weeks or 10-15 a month, or whatever you think best. However, if you know that WIP needs rewrite it might be smart to deal with that now, before any more submissions. If not, what would you do if an agent asked you to send your complete manscript at once? They expect you to submit when you have a polished, completed work.

cooeedownunder
06-06-2011, 12:08 PM
I think it's a mistake to limit your submssions to a total of 4 agents. Make a list of appropriate agents and keep submitting--5 a week or 10 every 2 weeks or 10-15 a month, or whatever you think best. However, if you know that WIP needs rewrite it might be smart to deal with that now, before any more submissions. If not, what would you do if an agent asked you to send your complete manscript at once? They expect you to submit when you have a polished, completed work.

Already submitted the full to this agent. Spent almost a year polishing it, after I finished the first draft which took a year to complete - and I edit as I go. But sadly there are only about 12 agents in Australia - and many won't touch a historical - This is the only one that I know who represents writers of similar style, which leaves me English agents as half the story is set in England - and a part from a handful, they all must be hardcopy for submissions...

If I rewrite sections it won't be to polish it as such, but to possibly turn it into a genre historical, such as romance or something, as aposed to a Historical, as it leans towards the romance genre but is tremoundously not suited to romance genre because of plot and execution of the story.