Chicago Must Pay for Denying Second Amendment Rights

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
In the shed thread, we touched briefly on some form of tort reform to make the system work better. I thought this story was particularly germane to that discussion.

According to the story, "Under federal law, the “prevailing party” in certain civil rights cases may collect “a reasonable attorney’s fee” from the losing side."

So the idea of "loser pays" already applies in some civil rights cases in the US. I noticed that the concept is already in widespread use in the British Commonwealth.

This particular case involves Chicago and Oak Park, Illinois, which have been refusing to pay the "reasonable legal fees" awarded to the "prevailing party" in McDonald v. Chicago, which decided they were not allowed to ignore the Second Amendment.

They have now been ordered to pay up by the federal 7th Circuit Court of Appeals.

What are the advantages and disadvantages to instituting "loser pays" in the US justice system? Good idea, or not?

Ink-Stained Wretch

Registered
Reaction score
What are the advantages and disadvantages to instituting "loser pays" in the US justice system? Good idea, or not?

Personally, I'd only support it on a case-by-case basis. A blanket "loser always pays" system would absolutely discourage people who do have legitimate complaints, but quite rightfully fear "I'm just a poor nobody victimized by a huge wealthy corporation that can afford infinitely more and infinitely better lawyers than I can. Better not risk taking them to court at all."

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
A blanket "loser always pays" system would absolutely discourage people who do have legitimate complaints, but quite rightfully fear "I'm just a poor nobody victimized by a huge wealthy corporation that can afford infinitely more and infinitely better lawyers than I can. Better not risk taking them to court at all."
That's why many civil lawyers give a "free consultation" at first to determine whether or not the potential Petitioner has a legitimate or winnable case. They won't take the case unless they feel they can win (duh), which gives them the sense of guaranteed payment, regardless of the financial situation of their potential client.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Access to the judicial system to pursue legitimate grievances - even if you have nothing yourself.
We have Legal Aid organizations today. I doubt that would change. I wonder how it's handled in the Commonwealth?

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I think it does help with nuisance lawsuits. And most attorneys will advise a (potential) client whether or not their lawsuit has any merit.