What do you think the scope for freelance travel writing is?

annabelle07

Registered
Reaction score
I think a lot of people toy with the idea of making a career out of travel writing and particularly freelance travel writing.

How would you personally go about it if you wanted to get into it?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Depends on who you are and what your resources are. Everything-Everywhere.com guy basically started with nothing but cash and time. He had cash. Now he has more cash and a business based around traveling wherever he wants.

If you don't have cash, I hear a lot of people do writing for guides like Lonely Planet, but it's usually super crummy and doesn't pay much! :)

I'm a travel writer, not freelance; I work for a company. Personally I think this is a good way to go, but I'm guessing in most situations you have to have previous travel experience. Most people don't want to pay you to travel just because you say you can write about it. They want some value up front.

Not sure that's particularly helpful, but I thought I'd offer my thoughts. :)

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Here's what I was told unofficially by someone from a leading travel magazine - get a sample and send it to the various publications. See if anyone is interested. You can write for various publications under different names. Check out all the travel publications out there - online and print. Don't forget lifestyle publications (magazines, newspapers, online) with a travel section. Also, inflight magazines for global airlines like United, British Airways, Qantas, etc

Good luck!

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Depends totally on the magazine. You need to go and look at different publications and see what kind of articles they print, then tailor your query and article accordingly. And I second Purple Rose's tip about the inflight magazines.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I built up a travel writing platform via Examiner.com that I've parlayed into print magazine work. It also gets me invited to some really cool gigs. Latest one was covering the WDW Star Tours opening and included interviewing Anthony Daniels and some of the Industrial Light & Magic guys.

Travel writing isn't the main part of my career, but it's a heck of a lot of fun. Get lots of queries out there and build a platform if you can. It's not as easy to build a solid readership with Examiner as it once was. I'm lucky I got in early.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
AAA publications are another market for travel writing. I'm currently pulling together a big query package for EnCompass (that's our AAA Colorado magazine).

If these queries don't sell, I'll probably reslant them for other AAA mags (those in surrounding states), for Sunset (western states lifestyle mag with a travel section) or for inflight mags.