James Arness ....RIP

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, childhood memories . . .

When I was a young kid, Gunsmoke used to come on at nine o'clock and my brother and I were allowed to stay up and watch it since it was Saturday night. I can still remember most of the characters from that TV show.

It seems like Mr. Arness had a good life, even though there were some problems along the way. RIP.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, childhood memories. Gunsmoke was one our approved TV shows growing up. Matt Dillon was larger than life and, apparently, so was Mr. Arness.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
We always have these threads about the most underrated this or that, I'm not sure James Arness isn't the most underrated tv actor of all time. 20 years of excellence in such a non-assumng role was amazing. He had a good life, thanks for the memories sir.....

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Loved Matt, handlin' the killers an' spoiler . . . with the smell of gun smoke.

My favorite old back-and-white sci-fi starred James Arness as The Thing, snowy parts filmed in Montana (close--it was supposed to be the North Pole).

Then Big Jim was a major star in Them! with giant ants, featuring a cameo of Leonard Nimoy without pointy ears.

A much underrated actor and real-life person. RIP, Big Jim.

lwood6145

wordslayer
Registered
Reaction score
James Arness was unique--so private that we never saw him in news reels or in the public, after Gunsmoke. He was somewhat of a war hero also, wounded in the leg at Anzio during WWII. Long live Gunsmoke-we will miss all the characters for sure--Matt Dillon, Festus, Doc, Kitty, Newly...

L.A. Wood
Forever Endless Night

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
For all that's written about the myths of the West, it seems to me that he was a bit of the real thing.

We'll miss you, Marshal. For sure.

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
I think it was Buck Taylor (who played Newley) who confirmed James Arness' statements that he couldn't act. He said that what you saw on the screen was really James Arness--he was Matt Dillon.

The generation who grew up watching Gunsmoke always sensed that authenticity and some us unconsciously patterned ourselves after him.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it was Buck Taylor (who played Newley) who confirmed James Arness' statements that he couldn't act. He said that what you saw on the screen was really James Arness--he was Matt Dillon.

Buck and his dad, Dub, had land near Big Timber, my hometown. Buck often rode in our rodeo parades. He told the story of James Arness hosting a film on funny TV out-takes. Big Jim stood behind a lectern barely cracking a smile. At the end, he walked away, wearing only boxer shorts. I would dearly love to see the film.

Dix

So, is that a no?
Registered
Reaction score
When I was little, I watched Gunsmoke every week with my grandfather. This was when Chester was part of the show. I had my own toy gun and holster and at the beginning of every episode, I ran to the middle of the living room, stood in front of the TV and outdrew Marshal Dillon. Granddaddy always laughed, which, of course, is why I did it. I've loved James Arness, and what he stood for.

Last edited: