X MEN - FIRST CLASS

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Saw it. Loved it. Reviewed it.

Best thing? James McAvoy. AMAZING actor. It's kind of neat how you really get a sense of just how good an actor is when you see him act as if he's expecting an Oscar for a summer blockbuster.

Second best thing? Michael Fassbender. Ditto all the above.

magicmint

Registered
Reaction score
So excited to see this movie tonight! I have pre ordered tickets and everything! You have raised my expectations of this movie!

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
I am seeing this on Sunday and cannot wait. So glad it is getting good reviews and word of mouth.

Strychnine

Registered
Reaction score
I saw this last night and mostly I was just stunned by how good looking everyone is. Seriously. But otherwise, the acting was really good, except for January Jones (although I couldn't tell if she was bad or just playing Emma Frost in a certain way??) and I've loved James McAvoy since Shameless. I'm a huge fan of the comics and even though bits of the film annoyed me, I thought most of it was really great. I also didn't know really what characters were going to be in it, and then there was Banshee (although very different from the comics) and I was like :hooray:

pandora1983

Jill of all trades,well,some trades
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetravelpaige.blogspot.com
oh Im so jealous..green with envy. I want to see this badly but will not have the opportunity for awhile. Lucky people.
echo the amazingness of James McAvoy. Scottish actors hold a special place in my heart and hes one of the best. If you liked it and are a fan a shakespere then you should check out his BBC version of Macbeth as well. Modernized to take place in a kitchen. Bonus he sings a bit of a Ramones song too.
ok all yous people..enjoy xmen

Sullivan Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I can't wait to see it either! I'll watch anything X Men -- even the kids cartoons.

ceenindee

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I can't wait to see it either! I'll watch anything X Men -- even the kids cartoons.

Yes me too! I just saw it and it might be my favorite X movie yet. I think the previous ones have had better fight scenes but this one's story was definitely more compelling.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
This movie is so good. I can't even write a coherent review, I just loved it too damn much. The acting is fantastic: McAvoy and Fassbender are able to play off each other perfectly as opposites who end-up bonding despite their different temperaments. Sure the movie isn't perfect, but from just those too alone I'm able to forgive just about any sin.

Nowadays there are so many just plan stupid movies that get made, and as a writer it makes me mad because often times it's problems with the script that makes the whole thing fall apart. It ticks me off, since I would think that any problems with the film's story could have been fixed before millions of dollars have been spent on sets and actors and special effects. What I liked so much about X-Men first class was that yeah, it had great locations spanning across the globe, a fantastic cast, and cool action scenes with pretty good FX, but what really impressed me was that it was primarily a story driven by the characters and their relationships. It shouldn't be so hard to do something like that, and yet First Class is an exception rather than the norm. I want to see it again, and soon.

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
So...not cheesy at all this time around? No lame jokes a la the toad and the lightning? Good to hear :D

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
So, so, so good. I loved it. Loved seeing how things got started and the actors (both Magneto and the Professor) were amazing.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
My first X men anything,,,, Outstanding, I had no idea Kevin Bacon was in the movie and more than pleasantly surprised. Toothpaste, I agree with you on Robert McAvoy,,, The resemblance between he and Russell Crowe is just weird...

DennyCrane

Dude. Seriously.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkrock.com
It was excellent. Best use of the F-bomb in a PG-13 (you get only one) movie that I've ever seen.

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
You mean it's actually good? Oh my. Quick, if I get my minimum daily word count in, maybe I can beg the bf to go see it tonight....

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Best use of the F-bomb in a PG-13 (you get only one) movie that I've ever seen.

Yes! :) I agree completely. In fact I used almost the exact same words in my review: "as well as one of the most perfectly placed F-bombs (the only one the film is allowed before sending it into R territory) in recent action movie memory."

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
WOW.

That.

Was.

Fucking.

Amazing.

Magneto is...nngh. I would have his love babies.

:) I kept thinking "Damn, Magneto didn't age well, because he was so yummy at this age,"

zolambrosine

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Matthew Vaughn is now officially my first favorite director. Kick Ass, and now this?

Oh, yes. Yesyesyesyesyes. SO GOOD. SO GOOOOOOOOD.

I can't wait to see it again. AGAIN.

I actually thought that Michael Fessbender was the best actor in that film. James McAvoy = amazing, but Fessbender made me CRY. And I'm still randomly throwing my fist through the air as though I'm on a beach facing missiles...

Only thing I disliked, honestly, was Zoe Kravitz's acting. She was hella stiff the whole time. She's gorgeous, though.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Not a reader of the comics, so I'll get that out ahead of time, lol.

[jadedmoviecritic]I thought it was a good film. There was nothing really *wrong* with it per se. All the actors were good, the script was good, the special effects were good... But I just couldn't love it. I think part of the problem, for me at least, is that the film felt a little too scattered. It tried to follow a lot of characters, a lot of threads... Which is admirable of course, but I think if the focus had been more on the relationship between Magneto and Prof X and a lot less everything/everyone else, the film would have been stronger for it. I do realize this is probably a somewhat unrealistic request/desire, that fans would probably have rioted if they didn't get to see in sufficient detail the origins of their favorite characters. But I can't help feeling that as is, they condensed what should have been a TV miniseries into 2 hrs or so, and made the necessary sacrifices along the way. And I can't help feeling that the talents of the actors (especially Mcavoy, who was phenomenal in Atonement) were, as a result, not fully utilized, or perhaps, barely even tapped.[/jadedmoviecritic]

Oh yeah. One other thing. SPOILERS in white below

I couldn't understand why Beasty wouldn't have immediately gone to see Mystique to tell her that the serum doesn't work.

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a lot of problems with it, but my biggest problem was that Magento was right. The people were just evil and horrible and that made Charles' position to find a peaceful way seem stupid and discredits the entire concept of the Xmen and the school. They totally changed the balance of power between the two characters and, thus, negated the best part of the franchise for me.

I found it even more disappointing than Wolverine.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I had a lot of problems with it, but my biggest problem was that Magento was right. The people were just evil and horrible and that made Charles' position to find a peaceful way seem stupid and discredits the entire concept of the Xmen and the school. They totally changed the balance of power between the two characters and, thus, negated the best part of the franchise for me.

While I do agree that Magneto was right in that people were ignorant and dangerous, I believe that Charles' dream of mutants and mundanes working together peacefully is more powerful in light of this fact. Change doesn't happen overnight. It has to start somewhere and Charles is the first mutant to take a stand and say 'let's try'. Charles is giving mutants an option to be a hero rather than the evil most people think they are. Or to paraphrase Farscape, he's giving them the opportunity to be more. He could've just thrown his hands up and said "you know, Erik, you're right. To hell with everything." But he didn't.

Last edited:

zolambrosine

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

Whooooa, really? I think that Wolverine was even more disappointing than The Last Stand.

I think that a lot of emphasis was placed onto proving that Magneto was right because the audience needed to understand his side, needed to understand why Raven would leave Charles for him, etc. The comics spend so much time attempting to discredit and defeat Magneto (I'm assuming), and proving that Xavier is the good guy while Magneto is the bad guy, that I think the movie would've been very week if they'd just continued in that trend. They'd fall into a pattern of "expectation", and the plot line just wouldn't have been as good to me or interesting.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whooooa, really? I think that Wolverine was even more disappointing than The Last Stand.

Agreed. It was.

I think that a lot of emphasis was placed onto proving that Magneto was right because the audience needed to understand his side, needed to understand why Raven would leave Charles for him, etc. The comics spend so much time attempting to discredit and defeat Magneto (I'm assuming), and proving that Xavier is the good guy while Magneto is the bad guy, that I think the movie would've been very week if they'd just continued in that trend. They'd fall into a pattern of "expectation", and the plot line just wouldn't have been as good to me or interesting.

We'll have to agree to disagree. All I know is that, at this point, they're not getting any more of my money. I'm tired of being disappointed on this scale.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
The true tragedy of Magneto has always been that he is right. He's lived through World War II and seen the worst humanity has to offer to those who are different; the rule he lives his life by is 'never again.' Xavier, however, believes that violence and conflict will only prolong or intensify fear and distrust, and that the only way to have a lasting resolution is education and working together.

Magneto is a realist. Xavier is an idealist. Both want the same thing -- safety for their kind -- and in their own way, both are right. Magneto's correct that fear and suspicion, and hatred of 'other' and 'different', will lead to suffering for mutantkind in the short run. And Xavier's correct that short of subjegation or rule by mutants, only patience and education will lead to peaceful coexistence.

And the best stories in the comics always show that both know the other's way has some truth to it, and yet still firmly believe their way is the one that will keep their people safer. And each desperately wishes they could convince their old friend of that fact.