PDA

View Full Version : X MEN - FIRST CLASS

Toothpaste
06-04-2011, 04:24 AM
Saw it. Loved it. Reviewed it. (http://hardcorenerdity.com/2011/06/03/hcn-reviews-x-men-first-class/)

Best thing? James McAvoy. AMAZING actor. It's kind of neat how you really get a sense of just how good an actor is when you see him act as if he's expecting an Oscar for a summer blockbuster.

Second best thing? Michael Fassbender. Ditto all the above.

magicmint
06-04-2011, 04:31 AM
So excited to see this movie tonight! I have pre ordered tickets and everything! You have raised my expectations of this movie!

MttStrn
06-04-2011, 07:13 AM
I am seeing this on Sunday and cannot wait. So glad it is getting good reviews and word of mouth.

Strychnine
06-05-2011, 12:46 AM
I saw this last night and mostly I was just stunned by how good looking everyone is. Seriously. But otherwise, the acting was really good, except for January Jones (although I couldn't tell if she was bad or just playing Emma Frost in a certain way??) and I've loved James McAvoy since Shameless. I'm a huge fan of the comics and even though bits of the film annoyed me, I thought most of it was really great. I also didn't know really what characters were going to be in it, and then there was Banshee (although very different from the comics) and I was like :hooray:

pandora1983
06-05-2011, 01:10 AM
oh Im so jealous..green with envy. I want to see this badly but will not have the opportunity for awhile. Lucky people.
echo the amazingness of James McAvoy. Scottish actors hold a special place in my heart and hes one of the best. If you liked it and are a fan a shakespere then you should check out his BBC version of Macbeth as well. Modernized to take place in a kitchen. Bonus he sings a bit of a Ramones song too.
ok all yous people..enjoy xmen

Sullivan Lee
06-05-2011, 01:15 AM
Oh, I can't wait to see it either! I'll watch anything X Men -- even the kids cartoons.

ceenindee
06-05-2011, 05:00 AM
Oh, I can't wait to see it either! I'll watch anything X Men -- even the kids cartoons.

Yes me too! I just saw it and it might be my favorite X movie yet. I think the previous ones have had better fight scenes but this one's story was definitely more compelling.

Sai
06-05-2011, 05:14 AM
This movie is so good. I can't even write a coherent review, I just loved it too damn much. The acting is fantastic: McAvoy and Fassbender are able to play off each other perfectly as opposites who end-up bonding despite their different temperaments. Sure the movie isn't perfect, but from just those too alone I'm able to forgive just about any sin.

Nowadays there are so many just plan stupid movies that get made, and as a writer it makes me mad because often times it's problems with the script that makes the whole thing fall apart. It ticks me off, since I would think that any problems with the film's story could have been fixed before millions of dollars have been spent on sets and actors and special effects. What I liked so much about X-Men first class was that yeah, it had great locations spanning across the globe, a fantastic cast, and cool action scenes with pretty good FX, but what really impressed me was that it was primarily a story driven by the characters and their relationships. It shouldn't be so hard to do something like that, and yet First Class is an exception rather than the norm. I want to see it again, and soon.

third person
06-05-2011, 10:21 AM
So...not cheesy at all this time around? No lame jokes a la the toad and the lightning? Good to hear :D

NewKidOldKid
06-06-2011, 03:06 PM
So, so, so good. I loved it. Loved seeing how things got started and the actors (both Magneto and the Professor) were amazing.

Don Allen
06-06-2011, 03:32 PM
My first X men anything,,,, Outstanding, I had no idea Kevin Bacon was in the movie and more than pleasantly surprised. Toothpaste, I agree with you on Robert McAvoy,,, The resemblance between he and Russell Crowe is just weird...

NewKidOldKid
06-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Oh, and yes, Kevin Bacon was really good!

DennyCrane
06-06-2011, 08:19 PM
It was excellent. Best use of the F-bomb in a PG-13 (you get only one) movie that I've ever seen.

Anna L.
06-06-2011, 09:01 PM
You mean it's actually good? Oh my. Quick, if I get my minimum daily word count in, maybe I can beg the bf to go see it tonight....

Toothpaste
06-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Best use of the F-bomb in a PG-13 (you get only one) movie that I've ever seen.

Yes! :) I agree completely. In fact I used almost the exact same words in my review: "as well as one of the most perfectly placed F-bombs (the only one the film is allowed before sending it into R territory) in recent action movie memory."

Zoombie
06-07-2011, 02:00 AM
WOW.

That.

Was.

Fucking.

Amazing.

Magneto is...nngh. I would have his love babies.

NewKidOldKid
06-07-2011, 03:25 AM
WOW.

That.

Was.

Fucking.

Amazing.

:) I kept thinking "Damn, Magneto didn't age well, because he was so yummy at this age,"

zolambrosine
06-07-2011, 04:52 AM
Matthew Vaughn is now officially my first favorite director. Kick Ass, and now this?

Oh, yes. Yesyesyesyesyes. SO GOOD. SO GOOOOOOOOD.

I can't wait to see it again. AGAIN.

I actually thought that Michael Fessbender was the best actor in that film. James McAvoy = amazing, but Fessbender made me CRY. And I'm still randomly throwing my fist through the air as though I'm on a beach facing missiles...

Only thing I disliked, honestly, was Zoe Kravitz's acting. She was hella stiff the whole time. She's gorgeous, though.

Toothpaste
06-07-2011, 08:24 AM

Yes. He does appeal doesn't he? I featured him as a Manly Monday this week in case you wanted some pics to enjoy: http://hardcorenerdity.com/2011/06/06/manly-monday-michael-fassbender-bringing-x-y-back/

Mr. Anonymous
06-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Not a reader of the comics, so I'll get that out ahead of time, lol.

I thought it was a good film. There was nothing really *wrong* with it per se. All the actors were good, the script was good, the special effects were good... But I just couldn't love it. I think part of the problem, for me at least, is that the film felt a little too scattered. It tried to follow a lot of characters, a lot of threads... Which is admirable of course, but I think if the focus had been more on the relationship between Magneto and Prof X and a lot less everything/everyone else, the film would have been stronger for it. I do realize this is probably a somewhat unrealistic request/desire, that fans would probably have rioted if they didn't get to see in sufficient detail the origins of their favorite characters. But I can't help feeling that as is, they condensed what should have been a TV miniseries into 2 hrs or so, and made the necessary sacrifices along the way. And I can't help feeling that the talents of the actors (especially Mcavoy, who was phenomenal in Atonement) were, as a result, not fully utilized, or perhaps, barely even tapped.

Oh yeah. One other thing. SPOILERS in white below

I couldn't understand why Beasty wouldn't have immediately gone to see Mystique to tell her that the serum doesn't work.

DeleyanLee
06-07-2011, 03:45 PM
I had a lot of problems with it, but my biggest problem was that Magento was right. The people were just evil and horrible and that made Charles' position to find a peaceful way seem stupid and discredits the entire concept of the Xmen and the school. They totally changed the balance of power between the two characters and, thus, negated the best part of the franchise for me.

I found it even more disappointing than Wolverine.

dirtsider
06-07-2011, 04:24 PM
I had a lot of problems with it, but my biggest problem was that Magento was right. The people were just evil and horrible and that made Charles' position to find a peaceful way seem stupid and discredits the entire concept of the Xmen and the school. They totally changed the balance of power between the two characters and, thus, negated the best part of the franchise for me.

While I do agree that Magneto was right in that people were ignorant and dangerous, I believe that Charles' dream of mutants and mundanes working together peacefully is more powerful in light of this fact. Change doesn't happen overnight. It has to start somewhere and Charles is the first mutant to take a stand and say 'let's try'. Charles is giving mutants an option to be a hero rather than the evil most people think they are. Or to paraphrase Farscape, he's giving them the opportunity to be more. He could've just thrown his hands up and said "you know, Erik, you're right. To hell with everything." But he didn't.

zolambrosine
06-07-2011, 06:22 PM

Whooooa, really? I think that Wolverine was even more disappointing than The Last Stand.

I think that a lot of emphasis was placed onto proving that Magneto was right because the audience needed to understand his side, needed to understand why Raven would leave Charles for him, etc. The comics spend so much time attempting to discredit and defeat Magneto (I'm assuming), and proving that Xavier is the good guy while Magneto is the bad guy, that I think the movie would've been very week if they'd just continued in that trend. They'd fall into a pattern of "expectation", and the plot line just wouldn't have been as good to me or interesting.

DeleyanLee
06-08-2011, 04:41 AM
Whooooa, really? I think that Wolverine was even more disappointing than The Last Stand.

Agreed. It was.

I think that a lot of emphasis was placed onto proving that Magneto was right because the audience needed to understand his side, needed to understand why Raven would leave Charles for him, etc. The comics spend so much time attempting to discredit and defeat Magneto (I'm assuming), and proving that Xavier is the good guy while Magneto is the bad guy, that I think the movie would've been very week if they'd just continued in that trend. They'd fall into a pattern of "expectation", and the plot line just wouldn't have been as good to me or interesting.

We'll have to agree to disagree. All I know is that, at this point, they're not getting any more of my money. I'm tired of being disappointed on this scale.

AlexPiper
06-08-2011, 05:49 AM
The true tragedy of Magneto has always been that he is right. He's lived through World War II and seen the worst humanity has to offer to those who are different; the rule he lives his life by is 'never again.' Xavier, however, believes that violence and conflict will only prolong or intensify fear and distrust, and that the only way to have a lasting resolution is education and working together.

Magneto is a realist. Xavier is an idealist. Both want the same thing -- safety for their kind -- and in their own way, both are right. Magneto's correct that fear and suspicion, and hatred of 'other' and 'different', will lead to suffering for mutantkind in the short run. And Xavier's correct that short of subjegation or rule by mutants, only patience and education will lead to peaceful coexistence.

And the best stories in the comics always show that both know the other's way has some truth to it, and yet still firmly believe their way is the one that will keep their people safer. And each desperately wishes they could convince their old friend of that fact.

mscelina
06-08-2011, 05:52 AM
I find it hard to believe ANYTHING could be worse than Wolverine. The hubby and I are giving this one a shot, based solely upon the reviews in this thread.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
06-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Finally got around to seeing this today. Not bad at all. I was quite confused however, as someone who has not read an X-Men comic in at least 20 years, but who has seen all three of the previous flicks (four counting Wolverine), how Mystique could have been like X's sister. In the other three movies they never even glanced at one another!

darkprincealain
06-11-2011, 05:19 PM
I was disappointed by January Jones and Zoe Kravitz. But otherwise, it really works.

And as much as I was worried about the warning that Banshee and Moira MacTaggert are much changed for the movie, they didn't stick out as things for which to pick on this movie.

But what in the fading flower hell did they do to Tempest/Angel and Emma Frost?

DeleyanLee
06-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Finally got around to seeing this today. Not bad at all. I was quite confused however, as someone who has not read an X-Men comic in at least 20 years, but who has seen all three of the previous flicks (four counting Wolverine), how Mystique could have been like X's sister. In the other three movies they never even glanced at one another!

It's called "Reboot"--which means this movie isn't connected to the rest of them, outside of the fact that many of the same characters are being reinterpreted. Standard fare in the realm of comic books and movies based on them.

Jcomp
06-11-2011, 10:00 PM
It's called "Reboot"--which means this movie isn't connected to the rest of them, outside of the fact that many of the same characters are being reinterpreted. Standard fare in the realm of comic books and movies based on them.

See, I get the impression that they're just trying to sort of have it both ways. They don't want to completely reboot the franchise like they're doing with Spider-Man, because Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is still bankable, and they're still making some direct references to the other flicks, but they're doing a sloppy job of choosing what stays and what doesn't. It just comes off as inconsistent. Either go ahead and hit the reset button or don't.

DeleyanLee
06-11-2011, 10:20 PM
See, I get the impression that they're just trying to sort of have it both ways. They don't want to completely reboot the franchise like they're doing with Spider-Man, because Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is still bankable, and they're still making some direct references to the other flicks, but they're doing a sloppy job of choosing what stays and what doesn't. It just comes off as inconsistent. Either go ahead and hit the reset button or don't.

Totally agree. Just repeating what I've read in most of the articles and interviews about the movie.

I don't know about Jackman being highly bankable. I know that the last venture was so disappointing (and I didn't even think he looked hot all over-bulked-up; his providing good eye-candy was the only good part of Last Stand IMO) that I'm not spending money on it ever again. Especially not with the new director telling him to bulk up more because he's too skinny. Enough is enough and that's my line.

Zoombie
06-11-2011, 10:20 PM
I barely remember the other three films, so none of that really bugged me.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
06-12-2011, 03:00 AM
It's called "Reboot"--which means this movie isn't connected to the rest of them, outside of the fact that many of the same characters are being reinterpreted. Standard fare in the realm of comic books and movies based on them.I guess the inclusion of Rebecca Romijn playing an older version of Mystique (and the cameo by Hugh Jackman) threw me off...
I barely remember the other three films, so none of that really bugged me.Huh. I was one of those people that really enjoyed X-Men 2. It sort of pulled X-Men one up into decent territory (nothing could have saved 3 and Wolverine). But like I said, the last X-Men comic I read had like the original cast (Cyclops, Jean Grey, etc.)

MttStrn
06-12-2011, 09:53 AM
It wasn't a reboot. They are trying to link it to X-men 1 and 2 but leaving out 3 and Wolverine. If you remember in 1 and 2, Mystique and Prof x do not really share screen time. Additionally, this way it explains how Mystique can emulate Prof X down to his retina scan in the first movie. If she lived with him for years she could do that.

Zoombie
06-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Huh. I was one of those people that really enjoyed X-Men 2. It sort of pulled X-Men one up into decent territory (nothing could have saved 3 and Wolverine). But like I said, the last X-Men comic I read had like the original cast (Cyclops, Jean Grey, etc.)

Hey! I remember liking the second one.

I just don't remember what I liked or why >_>

akaria
06-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Saw it today. Loved it. Then again I've always been a Magneto fan. I liked how they showed how X is kind of an ass. Something about his smugness always sat wrong with me. Also, Alex Gonzalez? Ignoring the purple suit, that dude was smokin' hot.

TheMindKiller
06-13-2011, 06:41 PM
So I just saw this movie yesterday, and my impression was "meh"... for all they wanted to seperate it from Last Stand and Wolverine, it followed the exact same formula... it sacrificed characterization and plot development for special effects... There were a lot of things that didn't really add up... and it has the same disease most of these comic book movies have started to catch, way too much info in too little time... they need to simplify these movies for them to be any good... That's why the comics are so successful in the first place! You don't learn everything about the superhero instantly.

Plus, as a super Xmen nerd, I was a little disappointed with how it deviated from canon...

I really wish this had been a more dramatic piece focusing on Xavier and Magneto working together. It really wasn't as good as it could've been.

Diana Hignutt
06-14-2011, 02:52 PM
I loved it. Thought it the best of the bunch. Magneto was magnificent.

ALLWritety
06-15-2011, 09:24 PM
I loved it. I thought the story was well done.

And I just loved Wolverine's cameo. Brill.

Kev

QueenViv
06-18-2011, 02:27 AM
This movie is so good. I can't even write a coherent review, I just loved it too damn much. The acting is fantastic: McAvoy and Fassbender are able to play off each other perfectly as opposites who end-up bonding despite their different temperaments. Sure the movie isn't perfect, but from just those too alone I'm able to forgive just about any sin.

This is exactly how I feel! Fassbender is both menacing and seductive as Magneto. He's such a tragic hero. It's great to see another great actor playing him. Even though I don't think the character was well explored in the previous X-Men movies, Ian McKellan is a fantastic actor.

And who would've thought Professor X could be sexy like that? And to see McAvoy turn into something closer to Patrick Stewart's Professor by the end of the movie... man, that was great!

What a great cast (except for January Jones, who looks great but is dead behind the eyes)! And the art department was spot on all the way through!

Can't wait to see it again!

PrincessofPersia
06-19-2011, 08:22 AM
I guess the inclusion of ... threw me off...

A warning that you were about to ruin 2 cameos for people who haven't seen it yet would have been nice. Thanks.

Snitchcat
06-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Not a bad film overall; good to see once at the cinema. I saw it more as how X-men got started and not necessarily related to the comics (it's been years since I've read an X-men comic).

I did like seeing the characters as they might have been before the morphed into the well-known comic book heroes.

Not saying anything more, though -- if you haven't seen it, IMO, it's an interesting take, fan or no.

yttar
06-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Can anyone remember if there was anything after the credits? My husband and I were trying to remember if there was anything and what it was the other day, but we kept getting confused by the other superhero movies we've seen recently.

Minor spoiler warning.

I wanna say it had something to do with the CIA liaison guy, but my husband thought he died.

Thanks for your help.

Yttar

AlexPiper
06-22-2011, 06:05 AM
There was not anything after the credits, which made me sad.

schadenfreude
06-22-2011, 11:09 AM
This is exactly how I feel! Fassbender is both menacing and seductive as Magneto. He's such a tragic hero. It's great to see another great actor playing him. Even though I don't think the character was well explored in the previous X-Men movies, Ian McKellan is a fantastic actor.

And who would've thought Professor X could be sexy like that? And to see McAvoy turn into something closer to Patrick Stewart's Professor by the end of the movie... man, that was great!

When McAvoy said groovy...
Oh, the things I wanted to do to him. :censored

And seductive? That doesn't even begin to describe Fassy.

Can you tell I enjoyed them it?

All jokes aside, I really did think it the best of the X-crop. But then again, that could be my inner Magneto love shining through. I agree with most of the points coming up that Charles stood for peace and it was powerful, but also that this really did develop McKellen's portrayal of Magneto in the audience's understanding of his beliefs. I completely agree with AlexPiper in that Magneto was right. But I love the realism and the potential for both sides. And I began to see amongst some of my friends (who were disgusted at my adoration of the comics, I assure you) a division into Team X and Team Brotherhood. ;)

Zoombie
06-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Here's what I think. There's a reason for the end of the movie.

Basically, Xavier was kind of a ponce. He's basically a well meaning but ultimately privileged person. It's EASY to be a mutant when you have a mansion and your power is invisible. It's EASY to stand for peaceful coexistence when you've never known anything but peace. The problem with having things easy is that it becomes equally easy to assume things are fine.

The humans turning on the X-Men was what Xavier needed to realize that, while peace is possible and something to work toward, it's not going to happen if you're not willing to actually do some damn work. He could read the minds of the people on the ships, and knew that it was a panicky few that had turned on them...and that wouldn't matter if they all got blown to hell and back again.

He. Needed. To. Grow. Up.

That's why the movie ended like that. Because sometimes, things are hard. Sometimes, Magneto IS right.

Which is why you have to WORK to prove him wrong.

Toothpaste
06-22-2011, 07:06 PM
What a fascinating conversation people are having now about who was right. I want to enter it! :)

See for me, I've seen how horrible people can be, but I have also seen good winning out time and time again - think slavery ending in America, civil rights being adopted, and even now with gay rights slowly finally getting some traction. The holocaust was horrific, but the Nazis lost, and we make sure to remember "never again". Now, there are still other places in the world where horrible atrocities take place, there are small groups of hate even in our own countries, and I don't know if we'll ever find "world peace" but I can't just simply say "Magneto was right" about people because people change. They fear what they don't understand, they do horrible horrible things, but eventually they can and do "grow up" as it were.

Maybe X was a bit naive, and had the luxury to be so, but I can understand his point. Besides, violence only begets violence, I don't know if it has ever solved anything. Further, Magneto's sense of superiority about his mutanism is pretty much on par with the aryans thinking themselves the perfect race (which I always found a very smart irony created in the books considering his history). They might be superior as far as abilities go, but does that make them superior intellectually, emotionally, etc?

Maybe I am naive in ultimately believing that people make the right choice, but history has shown us evil has been overcome time and time again - I look to Egypt and heck, even Libya, where people can make a difference against oppression. I see how far North America has come in even 50 years. And I see hope. So, yup, I guess I'm on Team X.

Diana Hignutt
06-22-2011, 07:32 PM
What a fascinating conversation people are having now about who was right. I want to enter it! :)

See for me, I've seen how horrible people can be, but I have also seen good winning out time and time again - think slavery ending in America, civil rights being adopted, and even now with gay rights slowly finally getting some traction. The holocaust was horrific, but the Nazis lost, and we make sure to remember "never again". Now, there are still other places in the world where horrible atrocities take place, there are small groups of hate even in our own countries, and I don't know if we'll ever find "world peace" but I can't just simply say "Magneto was right" about people because people change. They fear what they don't understand, they do horrible horrible things, but eventually they can and do "grow up" as it were.

Maybe X was a bit naive, and had the luxury to be so, but I can understand his point. Besides, violence only begets violence, I don't know if it has ever solved anything. Further, Magneto's sense of superiority about his mutanism is pretty much on par with the aryans thinking themselves the perfect race (which I always found a very smart irony created in the books considering his history). They might be superior as far as abilities go, but does that make them superior intellectually, emotionally, etc?

Maybe I am naive in ultimately believing that people make the right choice, but history has shown us evil has been overcome time and time again - I look to Egypt and heck, even Libya, where people can make a difference against oppression. I see how far North America has come in even 50 years. And I see hope. So, yup, I guess I'm on Team X.

The revolutions you mentioned will only end up giving power to less well-intentioned people.

Nighttimers knocked it out of the park: You need both. Both Charles and Erick were the products of the extremes of their upbringing. Both were wrong, fundamentally because of their intractable POV's

Toothpaste
06-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Possibly. In fact likely. But while many prefer to look at failure, I still see societies that are growing and changing (that have done so - the end of Apartheid in South Africa, my word, did anyone think that could happen? The fall of the Berlin wall?).

But I do agree that both X and M are extremes, and that you need something in between. But the idea that M was totally right as some here have been saying, I don't agree with.

Diana Hignutt
06-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Possibly. In fact likely. But while many prefer to look at failure, I still see societies that are growing and changing (that have done so - the end of Apartheid in South Africa, my word, did anyone think that could happen? The fall of the Berlin wall?).

But I do agree that both X and M are extremes, and that you need something in between. But the idea that M was totally right as some here have been saying, I don't agree with.

Murder is never justified in my view. So, I would agree with you. His willingness to murder in the name of the ideology of survival, is a cheap excuse, and makes him no better than the Nazi's who murdered his mother.

Zoombie
06-23-2011, 12:34 AM
The only thing that confused me about the movie is people who keep saying that Raven wasn't drop dead gorgeous in her natural form.

It's just like how they always play Nightcrawler as being hideously deformed when, like, in the real world, Kurt would be ROLLING in pussy.

Specially with that accent...rawr...

Note to next X-men movie: More Nightcrawler.