Time it takes to steal and chop a car.

Cealarenne

Registered
Reaction score
I don't need anything technical here. I understand that later models have all kinds of gadgetry to prevent theft, but in general, how long would it take to boost a car and how long to chop it down in a chop shop? I'm looking for impressive times. Use specific car models if necessary, it's only used as a comparative reference in my story.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be able to break into my Honda using school notebook in about 10 seconds. Hotwiring takes 20-30 seconds if you know what you're doing.

Make/model don't matter so much as age. Pre '90s cars are much easier because they don't have electronic countermeasures. Of course cars like BMW and Mercedes were equipped earlier than Fords and Hondas.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Someone with skills who plans out what they're doing can boost a car in less than a minute. But someone with that level of skills is more likely to use a flatbed. If caught in the process, you stand a chance of talking your way out of it by saying you've got a tow order, but must have misread the license plate. And it gets rid of the alarm problem.

Chopping a car (actually disassembling it) with a good crew and the right tools, especially air wrenches, can be done in less than two hours. Realize that some things are removed without much disassembling it too much, such as the engine. Other parts are junk in the used parts market.

Starting point is removing the hood, front fenders, and everything else in front. Three people can work on this at once. If you've got two more, they start on the doors and start stripping the interior. One more person with a forklift to remove parts as they come off. Chop shop guys would be full-time mechanics, doing this to supplement their income.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Cealarenne

Registered
Reaction score
I used to be able to break into my Honda using school notebook in about 10 seconds. Hotwiring takes 20-30 seconds if you know what you're doing.

Make/model don't matter so much as age. Pre '90s cars are much easier because they don't have electronic countermeasures. Of course cars like BMW and Mercedes were equipped earlier than Fords and Hondas.
Excellent, thank you for this.

Cealarenne

Registered
Reaction score
Someone with skills who plans out what they're doing can boost a car in less than a minute. But someone with that level of skills is more likely to use a flatbed. If caught in the process, you stand a chance of talking your way out of it by saying you've got a tow order, but must have misread the license plate. And it gets rid of the alarm problem.

Chopping a car (actually disassembling it) with a good crew and the right tools, especially air wrenches, can be done in less than two hours. Realize that some things are removed without much disassembling it too much, such as the engine. Other parts are junk in the used parts market.

Starting point is removing the hood, front fenders, and everything else in front. Three people can work on this at once. If you've got two more, they start on the doors and start stripping the interior. One more person with a forklift to remove parts as they come off. Chop shop guys would be full-time mechanics, doing this to supplement their income.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe
And thanks again to you, Jim.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My ex-m-i-l's 2011 Lincoln Navigator was stolen from her driveway. The cops found it via some tracking gismo within the hour. It was already stripped down to the chassis.

This happened 4 months ago.

FWIW.

Cealarenne

Registered
Reaction score
My ex-m-i-l's 2011 Lincoln Navigator was stolen from her driveway. The cops found it via some tracking gismo within the hour. It was already stripped down to the chassis.

This happened 4 months ago.

FWIW.
Holy heck, that is fast. I drive a Honda Ferio. No one in their right mind would steal it.