PDA

View Full Version : Agent questions

writergirl29
06-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Hi. I have a couple questions. How quickly does your agent usually get to your MSs to read? Reply to your emails? Also, how long did they wait before they started to nudge editors when you were on sub?

Thank you so much.

Anne Lyle
06-03-2011, 07:46 PM
It varies a lot from agent to agent, depending on how busy they are. Mine is very responsive - he usually replies to emails the same day, and after receiving my partial he got back to me after about ten days. OTOH I don't know if he's read my full yet, because I already had a book deal on the table so he didn't need to send it out to editors.

In any case, expect to have to wait weeks or even months, rather than days! Prospective clients come at the bottom of the agent's priority list, after all the stuff they are doing for the people they actually represent.

writergirl29
06-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Thank you!!! I really appreciate it. I am agented. I'm just unsure of what kind of response I should expect. I'm new at this. I've been on sub for three months and we haven't nudged so I'm just curious.

Thanks again!

Anne Lyle
06-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Hopefully someone with more agent experience will be along soon. I'm one of the outliers, so not really a good example.

And congrats on getting an agent, and good luck with the editor subs!

Jennifer_Laughran
06-03-2011, 08:47 PM
This is a conversation you can and should have with your agent.

Ask your agent what his/her response times typically are and when you submit a work, ask for an estimated time frame - s/he'll know how busy s/he is that week/month.

And if he/she has something for a while and you want an update... ask for it.

And if you don't hear back in 48 hours on an email - call, or write again to say hey just making sure you got this. (if not sooner, if it is urgent)

Things slip through the cracks, everyone gets busy, but your agent should have time to answer your questions, even if he has a backlog of reading full mss.

writergirl29
06-03-2011, 10:26 PM

Ask your agent what his/her response times typically are and when you submit a work, ask for an estimated time frame - s/he'll know how busy s/he is that week/month.

And if you don't hear back in 48 hours on an email - call, or write again to say hey just making sure you got this. (if not sooner, if it is urgent)

Things slip through the cracks, everyone gets busy, but your agent should have time to answer your questions, even if he has a backlog of reading full mss.

Thank you!!!

scope
06-04-2011, 01:40 AM

A BIG, GIANT DITTO.

sharonsharon
06-04-2011, 03:49 AM
I am new at this too I wrote a childrens book that I sent to a well known agent- she liked it a lot, but said she could not take it due to "Conflict of interest"- but she told me to send to another agent who does not take manuscripts unless recommended. That was three months ago and have heard nothing from them. I just yesterday sent to a new agent. I feel the first agent, who has been in the business for 30 years must have had faith in it to tell me to send to the other agent, but this agency I sent it too did not answer my follow up email three months later. I would expect a rejection letter- are there some agencies who do not send any rejection letter but use the ignore as a rejection.....

Becca C.
06-04-2011, 03:56 AM
...are there some agencies who do not send any rejection letter but use the ignore as a rejection.....

Yes, there are some agencies who are "no response = no," but 3 months isn't that long to wait. I'd give it another month or two.

Cyia
06-04-2011, 04:33 AM
are there some agencies who do not send any rejection letter but use the ignore as a rejection.....

Many, if not most.

sharonsharon
06-04-2011, 10:41 PM
three months is not long to not hear back?

sharonsharon
06-04-2011, 10:47 PM
i juts saw jennifers response above about getting in touch with the agent..This one agency I sent it to took my manuscript due to recommendation from another agent. The secretary told me to send directly to her. I did. A few weeks later i emailed just to make sure she got it, and no response. I waited three more weeks. Because of the no response, I called. She was very nasty to me on the phone and said "we got it' nothing more. It has been three months. I had gotten in touch with the initial agent who told me to send it (This is a well known agent) and she told me just email them and see if the agent saw it. The only email I had is for this secretary or assistant and so I emailed her telling her the initial agent said i should write to see if he saw it. It has been a week and have not heard back. IT is an unusual situation, but I really can not understand how an agency that accepts something on recommendation can not even say yes no or send a rejection- takes one second. I sent a Query to a new agent last week and I am waiting. I am assuming that their no answer is a rejection.

sharonsharon
06-04-2011, 11:02 PM
ah now I see this is for an agent you already have- yes they most definitely should get back to you! But if anyone can tell me what they think of above situation, when even the recommending agent is telling me to get in touch to see if they read and there is no response. I did hear from someone who is published that this agency i did send to is very "snooty". I Will not write or email them anymore and I did send to another agent. After reading this thread though, perhaps it is for the best. When I do get an agent, I would like them to get back to me and be considerate.

Anne Lyle
06-05-2011, 10:24 AM
I agree - this agent you've been recommended to sounds like she might not be easy to work with. It's one thing to not respond to cold queries, because they get so many, but not responding to emails from people you know through personal contacts is just...unhelpful. Emails do go astray, so confirming receipt of a manuscript is just good manners, IMHO. I still haven't heard back from an agent whom I met at a convention, but as I have since signed with someone else I never chased it. For all I know, he never got my partial...

I would ignore the recommending agent's promptings, since you have already nudged to no effect, and seek a more communicative agent elsewhere.

Filigree
06-05-2011, 10:40 AM
What relationship do they have with the recommending agent? It may not be as good as that agent believes.

If you don't have a good fit with an agent from the first, how can you trust them to work effectively for you? Send your mms to another agent, quickly, and don't look back. If they cared about the recommendation from the other agent, they'd have replied within 3 months. That they haven't says one of two things: they don't want the story, or they're disorganized.

sharonsharon
06-05-2011, 07:43 PM
the agent who recommended is good friends with the agent she told me to send to- I found this out when i called them to ask where to send it- at first they said we accept no manuscripts but when they heard that this woman recommended it, the assistant said "Oh thats his good friend". Then she told me to send it. I know this is a small and busy agency, but there should be some respect with even a form rejection, or a no. Even the recommending agent told me write them and see if they saw it- and so I did and still no response. I sent a query to a new agent and will look up others. thanks for all the advice.

When I did call just to see if assistant got it, she was very cold over the phone. In this world it takes very little to be kind and considerate-if an agency takes recommended work but is unable to even respond to that, then they must be very small or overwhelmed.

Becca C.
06-06-2011, 04:05 AM
When I did call just to see if assistant got it, she was very cold over the phone. In this world it takes very little to be kind and considerate-if an agency takes recommended work but is unable to even respond to that, then they must be very small or overwhelmed.

NEVER call an agency. Most agents hate it, and their websites will have a do NOT call line somewhere on the submission page. It's a big no-no. That's probably why she was very cold on the phone.

sharonsharon
06-06-2011, 04:49 AM
they do not take submissions so have no rules about calling- the only reason I called is because she never answered my email- i waited more then three weeks to call. they have no rules because they take no submissions unless recommended.

ether
06-06-2011, 06:14 AM
they do not take submissions so have no rules about calling- the only reason I called is because she never answered my email- i waited more then three weeks to call. they have no rules because they take no submissions unless recommended.

Definitely NO calling an agency. I have yet to hear of a single agency in existence who is okay with getting phone calls unless you're an existing client.

sharonsharon
06-06-2011, 07:07 AM
i would agree about this with agencies, but because they have no email listed and you have to call as they do not take submissions, I had to call the assistant. When i called at suggestion of other agent, the assistant gave me her email to send it to. I wanted to make sure she got it. When she did not reply to email I called. They have no agency email listed nor do they accept books unless recommended- so it is a strange situation and thus the call.... I would never call another agency, but so far have not had any problems with other agencies responding to me through email. And so it goes...

mscelina
06-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Okay, you need to listen to what everyone is telling you.

1. Do not call the agency.
2. The agency said they have your submission.
3. Three months is not long to wait.
4. Do not call the agency. When you call the agency, you're not going to get the agent. You're going to get the assistant, the one you emailed the submission to, the one who was nasty to you on the phone--in other words, the person between you and the agent. The person who can say, before the agent gets around to reading your manuscript, "Oh, that's the lady that keeps calling."

Just go ahead and keep submitting your manuscript elsewhere. If this recommended agency wants the story, they'll call you. You're not on an exclusive with them it doesn't sound like, so just concentrate on looking at other agencies for now. Forget about this first one. Pestering them is not going to make them any quicker, and just because Agent A recommended you doesn't make you any more special than the other four hundred people in the slushpile. It really doesn't.

Filigree
06-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Plus if you write and submit queries for other work, the more chances you have. Also, in case one of those turn out to be your Dream Agent -- they're going to ask what else you've written. This will also keep your mind off the issues with the first agency.

Lineykins
06-06-2011, 12:03 PM
I feel for you Sharon, and I don't think you did the wrong thing by calling.

If I understand you correctly, your initial correspondence was by phone - at which time they gave you an email address. You have had no response to your email, so naturally you would wonder if they had received it. I don't think it was so wrong to ring to check. Don't beat yourself up over it.

I'm sure you're disappointed that what seemed so promising is taking so long. I agree with those that say - just keeping sending out your query. Maybe this agent is not meant to be. Maybe they will get back to you eventually. Either way, waiting is always tough.

Just remember the first agent liked your writing, so there is a good chance someone else will too - keep submitting and all the very best of luck to you.

sharonsharon
06-06-2011, 05:35 PM
hi- thank you everyone. no. I am not beating myself up for calling as all they have is a number on their site, and because she never answered my email i just wanted to make sure she got it- of course i would never call them again. A published author I know told me 'oh that's the snooty agency" when I told her who it was...so I guess they are known for it. Most likely they are very small and overwhelmed and have not even looked at it yet. My whole point was, even an email back with no or we have not looked yet would suffice. It takes one second- they would not have received that original call from me, and it is the professional thing to do. But, they are most likely unlike other agencies.... but no way would I ever call them again. When I told her I had emailed three weeks before to ask if they got it but got no response it seemed like she was aware of the email....so why not write back Yes we got it, or yes- or even just a "y".