Help - Electrical death

Goldenleaves

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I've looked everywhere and found lots of conflicting stuff on this, can anyone here help?

Does a tazer leave post mortem evidence? I understand it is just a regular electric shock, is that so?

I understand that electric shocks can leave blood clots in the heart or lungs or brain, is that so?

If it is, are these clots somehow different to regular clots?

Doesn't electricity have to have a point of entry? Wouldn't that point be burned?

Surely tazer electric can't be any different to ordinary electric, but then if it's not, wouldn't certain clothing kind of ground you and direct it though you more or less harmlessly?

This is driving me nuts.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea how well TV is researched, but TV shows have Taser marks discovered during autopsies fairly often.

I suspect this is something you may need to research by actually--eek!--talking to a knowledgeable person at a point of sale and one who's treated or identified Taser burns.

I'll keep you company until you figure out who those people are.

Maryn, offering you a bagel

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
Golenleaves, yes a Taser will leave marks where the barbs come into contact with the skin. If you haven't seen it, check out this interesting link on how Tasers work and how the electricity differs: http://www.slate.com/id/2154253/

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I've looked everywhere and found lots of conflicting stuff on this, can anyone here help?

Does a tazer leave post mortem evidence? I understand it is just a regular electric shock, is that so?

I understand that electric shocks can leave blood clots in the heart or lungs or brain, is that so?

If it is, are these clots somehow different to regular clots?

Doesn't electricity have to have a point of entry? Wouldn't that point be burned?

Surely tazer electric can't be any different to ordinary electric, but then if it's not, wouldn't certain clothing kind of ground you and direct it though you more or less harmlessly?

This is driving me nuts.

First you have to understand how a taser works-
They deliver a lot of volts, but very few amps. Stun guns shoot an electrical pulse that's designed to go through clothing and skin and give someone a nasty shock. A very high voltage ensures that the pulse will reach its target, and the very low amperage keeps it from doing any lasting damage. It's helpful to compare this with water pressure: A high voltage is akin to water that's flowing at high pressure, while a low amperage is like water that's not flowing very quickly. The injury inflicted by an electric shock depends on the interaction between the "pressure" and "flow rate" of the electricity. (The area and duration of contact also make a difference.)

Stun guns work by pressing a pair of electrodes against the victim in order to create an electric circuit. (Most use 9-volt batteries, or a handful of AAs.) Tasers differ from standard stun guns in that the electrodes are tethered to long, insulated wires and can be fired from the weapon with a burst of carbon dioxide. A standard stun gun or cattle prod can only be used at close range; Tasers can shoot someone from 20 feet away.

Once the electrodes hit their target, the Taser sends a pulse with about 50,000 volts and a few milliamps. On its standard setting, the pulse cycles for five seconds before shutting off. (The pulse continues for as long as you hold the trigger.) The five-second shock sends intense signals through the victim's nervous system, which causes considerable pain and triggers a contraction in all his muscles. Temporary paralysis can set in, and most victims fall to the ground. Tasers can also be used like regular stun guns in what's called "drive stun" mode. This causes more localized pain and less widespread muscle contraction.

Researchers who Tasered anesthetized pigs have found little permanent damage, and there's little evidence that the shocks would be fatal for healthy adults. Victims who are intoxicated or have pre-existing heart conditions may be at greater risk. Repeated shocks from a Taser may also be more dangerous. (From http://www.slate.com/id/2154253/) ETA I see someone already beat me to this website- but there you go anyway)

So I hope that helped a little-
Shea- who has used tasers a lot in her books :)

Last edited:

Goldenleaves

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
It seems that although they do leave marks there is still furious arguments going on about the subject of forensic identification of damage caused.

I love you guys, thanks so much - I was having trouble finding facts instead of just opinions.

It seems I might have to trash my taser - although I may just disguise the mark. Hmmmm.

Going to get your books too.

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I've looked everywhere and found lots of conflicting stuff on this, can anyone here help? Tasers have lots of information out there, and much of it is written by people with an agenda. I'm not sure my information is completely accurate as a result.

Does a tazer leave post mortem evidence? Absolutely. It will leave two small skin punctures close together caused by the dual electrode darts that it shoots out. These punctures may also have a burn mark as well. This is assuming normal operation.

I understand it is just a regular electric shock, is that so? Well, I guess, but so isn't the electric chair. Let's start out with a fundamental fact about electric shocks. You need an entry and an exit would, which is why it has dual barbs. One in, one out. In the case of a lightning strike, frequently you find an entry wound in the upper torso, for example on the shoulder. Exit would will frequently be on one of the calves. The path of the lightning will show on the organs it traveled through with burn marks.

Let's discuss an electrical shock that is commonly seen and definitely induced for beneficial effects. Defibrillation. In defibrillation, an electric shock is induced in your body, with the path of the electricity designed to travel through the heart. The idea behind it is that the electrical shock will cause the heart to stop. As in dead. Then, if you're lucky, your heart will resume beating on its own, in the proper rhythm.

My favorite cluster for defib is when you set the patient on fire. Which is, amazingly enough, survivable. But the reality is that defib is a last ditch attempt to save a dead patient. Because we do not know in any predictable way how electricity will effect individuals. Electric fences use non-lethal doses of electricity, yet people have died from coming in contact with them.

Why? It's assumed that there is an underlying heart condition that no one was aware of that causes the heart to stop beating. Which is exactly the situation normally in deaths caused by tasers. Other deaths involving normal non-lethal doses involves amplifiers such as water, metal grills, et cetera.

Again, however, the methodology of death isn't clear. I've stood in puddles and touched electric fences. Gives a bigger bang for the buck, but hasn't killed. It's killed other people. We're back to the underlying heart condition that no one knows about.

I understand that electric shocks can leave blood clots in the heart or lungs or brain, is that so? Yes, it can fry the blood. But the burn marks would be more evident.

If it is, are these clots somehow different to regular clots? I'd assume so, but I've never looked nor seen pictures, so I don't know for sure.

Doesn't electricity have to have a point of entry? Yes.

Wouldn't that point be burned? It depends. Factors include wattage, amps, skin moisture, volts, and the list goes on.

Surely tazer electric can't be any different to ordinary electric, but then if it's not, wouldn't certain clothing kind of ground you and direct it though you more or less harmlessly? Water is one of the best conductors of electricity in the world. And guess what is the major component of human bodies? Electricity always picks the path of least resistance. This is why standing under a tree in a lightning storm is so dangerous. Humans are much better conductors than wood. The percentage of moisture in a tree is fairly low (the moisture, which is mainly water, is the sap).

Clothing is more typically designed to block electricity. Lineman wear gloves that are tested every month up to several thousand volts to make sure that electricity can't get through it. Although tasers are designed to work through clothing, being as the barbs are designed to do some level of piercing, some clothing can be very resistant to tasers.

This is driving me nuts.

My personal opinion is tasers can be very effective in certain situations, usually involving lethal force. But just like every other profession in the world, some police officers should not be and can abuse them. Ideally, tasers should not be used unless the alternative is to shot the suspect. In which case, a taser seems like a better alternative.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe