PDA

View Full Version : Milestones!

Pages : [1] 2

JennaGlatzer
11-02-2005, 06:33 AM
The store went live late on October 31st.

At 9:31 p.m. (ET) on Nov. 1st, we sold our 100th book, raising more than $500 for disaster relief in less than one day.

I'm keeping this thread open to mark our milestones!

:banana:

scfirenice
11-02-2005, 06:36 AM
YAY. Woot there it is.

Jean Marie
11-02-2005, 07:27 AM
Absolutely incredible, Jenna:Clap:

Cabria
11-02-2005, 07:32 AM
That's fabulous Jenna! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif

aruna
11-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Jenna, I just got your mail and so as not to clog up you inbox I'm replying here.

Just in case you didn't know, Stories of Strength was released yesterday, and we've already raised more than $550 for disaster relief.

That's so amazing, Jenna, I have tears in my eyes. IN ONE DAY! Oh my gosh!

I'm just sorry I can't afford to order mine yet, as I am completely broke at the moment. But I can't wait to place my order and hold my copy in my hands!

JennaGlatzer
11-02-2005, 12:54 PM
That's so amazing, Jenna, I have tears in my eyes.

I'm so glad it's not just me. I'm feeling like an emotional mush today-- I had to keep pretending I just had stuff in my eyes when Anthony came into my office. ;)

I couldn't donate $500 when the hurricane hit. I suspect most of us couldn't. But now we can... and it's just beginning. This is going to be bigger than I ever imagined. I can feel it.

Shwebb
11-02-2005, 04:35 PM
I checked the ranking this am (7:30am, EST). Our rank is 230!

Whee!

Moondancer
11-02-2005, 04:45 PM
When I sit down to think about it, I get teary-eyed so I'm trying to stay busy... advertising... twisting friends' arms... that kind of thing

:Sun:

Jean Marie
11-02-2005, 05:21 PM
I keep getting this misty stuff in my eyes too. Couldn't sleep last night either. It's mind bending to be part of this...all the people this is going to help-wow!! Jenna, in another thread, I mentioned I checked the Earthly Angels listing and your name is therehttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

aruna
11-02-2005, 05:23 PM
I checked the ranking this am (7:30am, EST). Our rank is 230!

Whee!

When I checked a few hours earlier, is was 1400! Wheeee! It's shooting!

AmyDoodle
11-02-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one snuffling. When I saw Chunky's post with the Big Blue GO yesterday, I tried to reply, but for some reason my keyboard kept swimming away. :cry:

Must be some sort of Internet virus whose symptoms are chills and eye spills.:)

ChunkyC
11-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Okay, I've got some early milestones to watch for:

Will we break into Lulu's top 100 by the end of the weekend?
And when will we pass Atlanta Nights, Lulu's #39?
And will Jenna ever find out who was driving that darn truck and make him buy ten copies?
These and other questions will be answered....

Alphabet
11-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Milestone: When we know what the UK price for the anthology is going to be and can start promoting it here!!!!!! Feeling all left out with nothing to do!

Moondancer
11-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Will we break into Lulu's top 100 by the end of the weekend? Yes
And when will we pass Atlanta Nights, Lulu's #39? This weekend.
And will Jenna ever find out who was driving that darn truck and make him buy ten copies? Probably not.

Sarita
11-03-2005, 12:14 AM
We're listed as #18 just for the month of November (http://www.lulu.com/browse/stats_recent_titles.php)and #6 for this week (http://www.lulu.com/browse/stats_recent_titles.php?fResolution=week)! :)

JennaGlatzer
11-03-2005, 12:58 AM
Milestone: When we know what the UK price for the anthology is going to be and can start promoting it here!!!!!! Feeling all left out with nothing to do!

Aww! Soon! Soon!

This is from Lulu's instructions:

"If you are planning to purchase the Global Distribution Service for your book, Ingram requests that if you include your retail price on the book cover, it must exactly match your retail price that you set on Lulu. If it does not match, it will be removed. Likewise, we ask that you do not add a UK retail price to the cover, as this number will be converted by us and it most likely will not match what you come up with."

I'm in the live chat with Lulu right now and they're saying around 9 pounds, but that's not official yet. They said "Amazon.co.uk should set it at 9 pounds, but it depends on what exchange rate they use." I'll keep you posted.

rtilryarms
11-03-2005, 01:27 AM
Where do you go to find out how many books are sold?

I am going to buy one book for each of my extensive families and friends for Christmas. Every year i struggle with what to get everyone and thanks to AW, this year will be a breeze. not to mention one of the cheapest Christmas'es....Christmas'....Christmasi....er... Winter Holidays ever.

Shwebb
11-03-2005, 02:01 AM
I don't think we can see how many are sold, just what the ranking is. Jenna may be the only one to see the actual number. That's my guess.

JennaGlatzer
11-03-2005, 02:03 AM
Correct. We're at 151 books sold. :)

ChunkyC
11-03-2005, 02:23 AM
I've got pledges for six so far from coworkers. Since my credit card is pretty near maxed, I'm going to have to collect money, make the payment, wait for the payment to take effect, then place the order. Unless I can talk someone else here (at my work) with room on their card into opening up an account at Lulu.

Either way, we're beginning to roll!

Moondancer
11-03-2005, 02:34 AM
I'm waiting for payday myself, CC so I can add a little bit more to the SoS bank. Lookout this weekend, Lulu!!!

On another note, let the tears flow. I just heard from one person I contacted. He bought the ebook so he can read it at work... and he absolutely loves it so far and was happy to donate to such a great cause.

Alphabet
11-03-2005, 04:15 AM
"If you are planning to purchase the Global Distribution Service for your book, Ingram requests that if you include your retail price on the book cover, it must exactly match your retail price that you set on Lulu. If it does not match, it will be removed. Likewise, we ask that you do not add a UK retail price to the cover, as this number will be converted by us and it most likely will not match what you come up with."

If there is no UK price on the cover then it might make putting it on shelves quite a hard sell! Or maybe not, I don't know - perhaps not - if there are NO prices on the cover then I suppose it could have a sticky price label on the book or on the shelf the book is on.

I think £9 is way too low!!! it should be at least £11 IMHO

Look at it like this - £9 is £10 in the head, and £11 is £10 in the head - so if we do £11 instead of £9 the only difference is that £2 extra goes to charity.

And I think £12.99 sounds nice.

But then, I think the e-book should be sold for $10 just because we can

I suppose all this $5.08 ebook and £9 UK book (maybe) is all about having the same unit profit across the board just to make the sums tidy - but it seems a shame not to get as much money to the charity as possible by pricing each item to what it will take.

Anyway, just sharing my thoughts.

So I still don't know the UK price but I got an 'Awww' from Jenna!!! :banana:

Kim Gogo
11-03-2005, 04:24 AM
I'm facing the same difficulties here in Canada. Unfortunately the price on the book says $15.95 but doesn't notate that it is American funds. At least one bookstore owner said that he'd prefer I buy them and he would then sell them but I don't know how to charge him. Do I order 20 books, wait 'til VISA tells me the total amount in Cdn and then divide by 20 and tell him that's how much they are? Ideally, it'd be good if all of we Cdns were to just stick with a price of $35 to cover shipping & handling and the exchange b/c, as I mentioned once to Charlie, if I sell it to Beatrice in Ottawa and her great Aunt Josephine buys it in Toronto for a cheaper price, Beatrice won't be too happy.

Unless told otherwise, I will do it as described, taking the VISA total and dividing by the quantity ordered.

kim

ChunkyC
11-03-2005, 04:35 AM
Kim....

Within a few weeks, if all goes according to plan, Stories of Strength will be in the databases bookstores use to order their inventory. Therefore stores will be able to order it just like they order any other book and the pricing will be set in Canadian funds according to the standard methodology. The store will just put a sticker over the US price printed on the cover.

While it might be tempting to buy some and resell them for what you paid plus shipping, you'll run into the same problem with disparate pricing when the book becomes widely available and is substantially less than what you had to charge for the copies you bought.

Therefore, I recommend you just keep asking bookstores to bring it in once it's available. If they don't want to stock it, ask them to let you put up posters and/or flyers in the bookstore instead to advertize it and entice customers to order it through the store.

ADDENDUM: As far as foreign pricing goes, what I've managed to figure out from Lulu is that we don't manually set whatever price we want in England, and then again in Australia, and then in Canada and on and on. Everything stems from the price we set in the US, and it all happens automatically. When Lulu sells through the retail chain instead of direct, a different pricing formula kicks in and each step on the way to the retail store is linked to this. Therefore, once the book works its way through this process and becomes available in Canada, or England, we'll see the price and that's what it will be across that country.

Kim Gogo
11-03-2005, 04:57 AM
Good news...thanks, Charlie!

I'll hold off on offering my firstborn to the bookstores. Afterall, I kinda like him. :)

kim

ChunkyC
11-03-2005, 05:03 AM
I'll hold off on offering my firstborn to the bookstores.
I'm gonna tell them I'll give them my daughter if they DON'T stock it. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Shwebb
11-03-2005, 05:33 AM
Okay,

I'm going to visit our local pharmacy tomorrow and speak to the owner. They stock a lot of books by local authors. I don't know yet on what basis they do it--whether consignment or direct order. If the store wants to order direct from Lulu, do they pay the same $15.## rate we do, or do they pay less, since they're reselling them?

If they do sell on consignment, can you tell me how I'd set that up?

JennaGlatzer
11-03-2005, 09:43 AM
They pay less. I believe stores get a 36% discount on our book.

They can order through Ingram or send a purchase order to Lulu... here's the info on that:

Can I place a purchase order?
Lulu accepts purchase orders by reputable book stores and other corporate entities as approved on a case by case basis.

All purchase orders must include

Purchase order (PO) number
Complete bill-to and ship-to addresses with phone and fax numbers
Federal EIN
Complete description of the item(s) being ordered
Purchase orders can be faxed to 919-459-5867, Attn: Accounting. Our terms are generally Due Upon Receipt, but Lulu reserves the right to require pre-payment and will contact you should your purchase order be declined.

September skies
11-03-2005, 09:54 AM
I love these kind of milestones! I want to see plenty of them. :)

Shwebb
11-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Thanks, Jenna!

(Just checked rankings--#132!)

aruna
11-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks, Jenna!

(Just checked rankings--#132!)

We are now at number 3.
http://www.lulu.com/browse/stats_recent_titles.php?fResolution=week

aruna
11-03-2005, 03:59 PM
What's the difference between the Lule sales rank, which is now 132,
and that top ten list, where it is number 3?

Sarita
11-03-2005, 05:45 PM
The sales rank is for all time (if I'm not mistaken) and the top ten list is for this week only. See at the top of the link you provided?

Recent Titles Week of 10/31/2005 - 11/06/2005

Ken Schneider
11-03-2005, 05:56 PM
if we all promote and get sos out to the public, we should be lulu's all time evermore bestseller.

My goal is to push sos into a good ranking in regular paperback world.

high profile publicity can do that. connections are the key.

if you know someone, squawk at them for a mention, i will.

have, wil wheaton, scott card, and robin hatcher placed a link on their sites to help the push?

i would think they would be willing to.

ken

mommie4a
11-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Check it out - 9:56am Ohio time

http://www.lulu.com/browse/stats.php?fResolution=week#newReleases

Ken Schneider
11-03-2005, 07:05 PM
10:04 Ohio time- WHOOOT!

Shwebb
11-03-2005, 07:13 PM
We gotta get more people to post a vote over there.

ChunkyC
11-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Check it out - 9:56am Ohio time
Just -- awesome.

September skies
11-03-2005, 08:48 PM
This is so exciting. I'm on my High School Reunion Committee and have access to all my classmates, so I just emailed them all about the book and have received so many nice compliments on the book -- I'm hoping everyone that said they'd buy the book, follows through and does it. <lol> I told them to bring it to the reunion and I'll autograph it.
:idea: I'm also contacting a couple of service clubs (Rotary, Lions, etc) They are always looking for speakers in our area. So don't forget about them.

Two newspapers have contacted me (but no date set) to write a story. One of them is waiting until I get my books so that I can be photographed with them.

I'd even love to see a follow-up story in the newspaper once we hit another big milestone or when we pass our goal - that keeps Stories of Strength in front of the people's mind and will make those who don't have it want to go out and get it.

ChunkyC
11-03-2005, 09:06 PM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonidea.gif Holy lightbulb, Batman! My high school class had it's 30th reunion last year and I still have emails that were sent out to the full mailing list of over 50 classmates!

Guess what I'm compiling and sending out this weekend....

You deserve one of these :Hail: September, and more than one of these :kiss:

Rose colored glasses
11-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Holy MORE lightbulbs, Batman! All my ebay buyers and sellers that I have emails for!

rtilryarms
11-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Please note that we have 14 votes. The best seller of all time has only 7 votes.

awatkins
11-04-2005, 03:19 AM
Wheeee!!

Cabria
11-04-2005, 03:25 AM
Incredible! This book is launching to orbit!

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteCheer.gif

OneTeam OneDream
11-04-2005, 04:38 AM
If (and it is an "if" ) my company does what it sounds like they are leaning towards, we will not have to worry about being Lulu's best seller ever........

ChunkyC
11-04-2005, 05:16 AM
if there's a tush needing kissing to make that happen Chris, just point us in the right direction.

September skies
11-04-2005, 05:19 AM
We gotta get more people to post a vote over there.

How do you vote? I've searched and searched and see no link for voting.

OneTeam OneDream
11-04-2005, 05:44 AM
if there's a tush needing kissing to make that happen Chris, just point us in the right direction.

I just may.....

ChunkyC
11-04-2005, 06:09 AM
How do you vote? I've searched and searched and see no link for voting.
You have to log in, then navigate to SoS. Towards the bottom, you should see a row of stars. Hover over them. The rightmost star is the highest value. Click on it to vote.

Lemme know if you still have trouble.

And -- I have to go home but I just jumped onto Lulu to check on the sales numbers (jenna gave me the keys to check that out, bless her)

We are sitting at 199 books sold, with $801.02 raised so far!

Whooooooooohooooooooo!!!

JennaGlatzer
11-04-2005, 06:15 AM
CC: It's better than that-- you have to add the Lulu commission to that, which is a little more than $1 per book-- sooooooo...

We have now raised more than $1000!!!

202 books sold.

:hooray:

(P.S. $1000 by the end of today was my goal-- so guess what? First goal already exceeded!)

jdkiggins
11-04-2005, 06:32 AM
I purchased six books today and added my vote.

Cabria
11-04-2005, 06:48 AM
You have to log in, then navigate to SoS. Towards the bottom, you should see a row of stars. Hover over them. The rightmost star is the highest value. Click on it to vote.

Thanks for that info Charlie! Just added my vote!

Shwebb
11-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Sales Ranking: 95!

Richard
11-04-2005, 03:51 PM
94 on the All Time Best Sellers last time I checked.

(Travis Tea is still kicking our collective arses at 40 though...)

Shwebb
11-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Richard, I just clicked on "Top 100" and couldn't find SoS listed anywhere. Same for the "this week" and "this month." How'd you do it?

Richard
11-04-2005, 04:26 PM
(blink) I have no idea. I copied them straight off a page, but don't see them any more. Possibly a net glitch, or more likely stupidity on my part. Ignore.

Shwebb
11-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Nope, not stupidity--unless it's catching.

I went back, did another click on the "top 100," and got the same result you did. Went to the recent rankings, not there. Went back to the "100," and it was gone. Poof!

aruna
11-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Sales rank: 95!

This week's rank, number 1, this month's number 4.

Moondancer
11-04-2005, 04:37 PM
94 on the All Time Best Sellers last time I checked.

(Travis Tea is still kicking our collective arses at 40 though...)

We still have 3 days before the weekend is over. It's not updated until after midnight each night. By Monday, at the rate we're moving up... well, I'm not the least bit worried. I haven't finished ordering, yet. I ordered 3 for immediate purposes but I know I'll be ordering more, once I have time to make a list for Christmas.

rtilryarms
11-04-2005, 06:00 PM
We still have 3 days before the weekend is over. It's not updated until after midnight each night. By Monday, at the rate we're moving up... well, I'm not the least bit worried. I haven't finished ordering, yet. I ordered 3 for immediate purposes but I know I'll be ordering more, once I have time to make a list for Christmas.

Me too. I ordered 3 for immediate needs but my needs grew. I am ordering more after i get internet back at home. The 3 i purchased are for some folks here at work.

Cabria
11-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Hmmm....I ordered three but something tells me I'll be ordering more!

Deb http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

rtilryarms
11-04-2005, 06:08 PM
In the top 100 all time. Confirmed.
9:10 AM 11/4/05

ranking: 94
Stories of Strength

ranking +37
Previous 132

September skies
11-04-2005, 07:44 PM
CC: We have now raised more than $1000!!!

HOORAY! This is so exciting! :Clap:

ChunkyC
11-04-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm getting chills!

I have a firm committment for 12 books from my coworkers. I still have to hear from our other location, but it looks like I might be able to order 15 or more books for our staff before I'm done. Very cool feeling, that.

Paint
11-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Wh00t! $1000 after only three days out!! This is the best! The response is awesome isn't it? Chills indeed!!!!

September skies
11-04-2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks for that info Charlie! Just added my vote!

yes, me too! :)

Kim Gogo
11-04-2005, 10:31 PM
I received the four books I ordered on Tuesday, just before lunch today but I had to scoot out so this was the earliest I could post.

They look great! There is some obvious differences to the draft copies I inadvertently ordered last week. For one, the spine is a different colour; white instead of gray. The ToC is set up a little different, too. Dots where there weren't dots before. And the pagination is different. I'm on page 36 now instead of 38.

The book itself has 306 pages in it, so I suspect we should change our press releases again...? The draft had 323 pages in it.

It's pretty nice to have the official copies now.

kim

ChunkyC
11-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Kewl Kim!

The official page count is 316, which includes the un-numbered pages at the beginning, so that's what should be in the press release.

Kim Gogo
11-05-2005, 12:33 AM
Good thing you mentioned that, Charlie; thanks! I forgot about those pages.:)

kim

September skies
11-05-2005, 12:33 AM
YAHOOO...
Stories of Strength is No. 1 for the week! And I predict it will stay up there in the No. 1 spot!

Remember those numbers when you talk about the book and get interviewed for papers, etc.

ChunkyC
11-05-2005, 01:33 AM
Yah, keep a text document open or a notebook handy to jot down these ideas -- oh, and....

#1, RIGHT ON!

rtilryarms
11-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Sales rank 90.
31 votes

Mine shipped

jdkiggins
11-05-2005, 07:02 PM
This is wonderful!

We're #4 in the Recent Releases.

My 6 books are in the fulfilling process. Can't wait to receive them.

rtilryarms
11-06-2005, 06:09 PM
What's the new book count?

Shwebb
11-06-2005, 06:15 PM
#83 on "top 100."

I can never see the book on "this week" or "this month," though.

ChunkyC
11-06-2005, 07:03 PM
What's the new book count?
As of 8:01 a.m mountain time (10:01 eastern) today, 233 books sold.

233 x $5.09 = $1,185.97 raised so far. Pretty darn cool!

JennaGlatzer
11-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Yep! It's slowed a lot these past couple of days... but I know we'll be able to kick it into high gear again as we get the publicity machine cranking. :)

P.S. 241 sold now.

September skies
11-07-2005, 01:30 AM
#83 on "top 100." I can never see the book on "this week" or "this month," though.

It used to be there but I don't see it anymore. I find it hard to follow the Lulu numbers. It's almost easier for me to come in here and check on Chunky's latest post. (I like his idea of keeping a little log book with the numbers) :)

Christine N.
11-07-2005, 02:10 AM
OK, I'll admit it...
I haven't ordered mine yet. So there's a few more. And I'll be taking flyers out to my December appearances, so hopefully we'll get some orders from that.

ChunkyC
11-07-2005, 04:00 AM
I'm not surprised it's slowed down somewhat, most of the big rush was ourselves. Yet sales are still steadily moving along, and once it's available in bookstores, I fully expect the sales to jump big time.

I have commitments from my coworkers for 16 books now. That's out of about 2 dozen people with about another 6 to hear back from. Virtually everyone I work with is getting a book. I'll be placing orders once I've heard from everyone.

rtilryarms
11-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Lulu Sales Rank: 77
10:00 AM

edted: oops, now 76.

awatkins
11-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Haven't been able to order mine yet, either. Sorry, guys. :(

ChunkyC
11-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Hop over to Lulu (http://www.lulu.com/browse/homepage.php) and take a look at what book is at the top of the best sellers list at the left....

Cabria
11-07-2005, 10:02 PM
WOW!!!

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteTheWave.gif

MacAllister
11-07-2005, 10:09 PM
I just got back from vacation, and haven't ordered my copies yet, either...SO COOL to see the book doing so well, though!

Congrats, everybody, and a big, heartfelt "THANK YOU" to all the contributors. :)

ChunkyC
11-07-2005, 10:18 PM
And to you, Mac, you were fundamental in shaping this book! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteKiss.gif

ChunkyC
11-07-2005, 11:01 PM
We've had the largest single purchase of books yet: someone just bought 10 copies on one order.

Total as of noon Mountain time, 2 p.m. Eastern:

263 books sold, $1,338.67 raised! Bee-yootiful!

biotales
11-07-2005, 11:15 PM
We've had the largest single purchase of books yet: someone just bought 10 copies on one order.

Hold on to your hats folks.... its going to get better...
:hooray: :hooray: :hooray:

Moondancer
11-07-2005, 11:22 PM

Wow!!!!!!!

:PartySmil

JennaGlatzer
11-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Just you wait till Jean gets home... I just got a message from her. It'll knock you out! :)

awatkins
11-07-2005, 11:32 PM
WooooHooo!! :TheWave: :TheWave:

Jean Marie
11-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Hey Jenna-how are ya????

Just came home from my favorite store: Borders in Fairfield, CT. They ordered 40 copies of SOS which will cover an entire endcap!!!! They've got the flyers and bookmarks all over the store, I dropped those off last night.

The local RC has agreed to do Christmas wrapping (this part Jenna doesn't know) along w/ Jenna giving a talk. It will have full media coverage and Borders will order for that event specifically. It means she has to get her butt over to CT!! And yours truly will be there as well.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smilehooray.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emotePartySmiley.gifI'm kinda like really excited.

AmyDoodle
11-07-2005, 11:49 PM
This is Tee-rific! :Clap: I jumped and squealed and set back the housebreaking of my new puppy by a huge amount, but it's worth it!

Great work, everyone.

Shwebb
11-07-2005, 11:50 PM
That's incredible! Imagine if we could all get that sort of response.

(Not getting much, yet. Dagnabbit!)

MacAllister
11-07-2005, 11:52 PM
w00t!!!!

YAY, Team!!!

aka eraser
11-07-2005, 11:54 PM
WTG Jean! :Clap:

Cabria
11-07-2005, 11:56 PM
Double, Triple, Quadruple WOW!!!

Susie
11-08-2005, 12:04 AM
That's super wonderful, everyone, especially Jenna. Sure wish I could buy a million of 'em!

ChunkyC
11-08-2005, 12:04 AM
HOLY COW! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteHail.gif

http://pages.prodigy.net/bestsmileys1/emoticons1/circle.gif

Jean Marie
11-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Okay, gang, I really need your help with this one. Jenna has to come to CT in order to do this talk thing. It will launch the daylights out of SOS-it's a must!!! I even told her I'll pick her up.

Please encourage her to do this!!!

There's another bit of news, but, that I have to wait on to be sure it can be done.

Thanks everybody!!http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteTheWave.gif

biotales
11-08-2005, 12:09 AM
:Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :Jump: :partyguy: :TheWave: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :D

Jean Marie
11-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Borders also promised to order lots of Hattie Get a Haircut and the new Celine book: For Keeps-IF she comes!!!!!!

mommie4a
11-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Jean Marie - Can you give a step by step of how you approached them? I would SO appreciate that.

Jean Marie
11-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Sure. It's the store that stocked my first book-the one printed by PA-so, I know them. I always deal w/ the sales mgr. I wrote up the initial blurb describing the book with the SOS logo top right. I have the ordering info, book description etc. And then at the bottom I have: this information supplied by local author, my name, phone number and the title of my essay.

The local RC has that info as well. It's all on one page, and I include the bookmarks. Small ones to hand out to everyone and the large ones for the stores. I have to go, when I come back I'll copy/paste the page I use, if that will help.

Jean Marie
11-08-2005, 12:29 AM
The logo is actually on the right and perfectly sharp. I thought one page would be less cumbersome. file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CJEANMA%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_image002.gif

Born in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, this anthology shares stories about what it

takes to beat the odds. More than 100 writers contributed these essays, fiction and poetry to raise money for disaster relief charities in the region. Featuring writing from Orson Scott Card, Wil Wheaton, and Robin Lee Hatcher. At times tear-jerking, at times humorous, this book is guaranteed to inspire and remind readers that the human spirit knows no boundaries.

Headed by Jenna Glatzer, author of acclaimed Celine Dion biography For Keeps,100% of

the proceeds of Stories of Strength will go to disaster relief charities, including the Red Cross, Americares, and the Salvation Army.

In addition to the writers’ donations, publishing company Lulu (www.lulu.com (http://www.lulu.com/)) is generously donating its profits from the project. Lulu will also donate several media review copies.

Book details:

Stories of Strength

Editor/Publisher: Jenna Glatzer

Publishing services provided by Lulu

ISBN: 1-4116-5503-6

Release Date: November 1, 2005

316 pages

Price: $15.95

6.0 x 9.0 in., Perfect-bound, 60# cream interior paper, black and white interior ink, 100# white exterior paper, full-color (CMYK) exterior.

Information provided by local author, Jean Marie Wiesen, whose essay A Different Kind of Marathon is included in Stories of Strength. Her essay may be found in the Strength of Faith section.

Local phone number for Jean Marie is: yeah, http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gifright

awatkins
11-08-2005, 01:27 AM
:faint:

Wow!!!!!!!

Ken Schneider
11-08-2005, 03:12 AM
good work JM. we have 100 sales people, so, we should do well.

KimJo
11-08-2005, 04:30 AM
Hooray!!!!!!!!

September skies
11-08-2005, 04:43 AM
Just came home from my favorite store: Borders in Fairfield, CT. They ordered 40 copies of SOS which will cover an entire endcap!!!! They've got the flyers and bookmarks all over the store, I dropped those off last night.

WOW!! How did you do that?

I had made an appt with the gal that orders for our Borders and I talked to her on Monday and they were nice but said that all they could order was two books to place under "local authors" section. BUT she had to review the book in its entirety first.

She said no other books could be ordered because they have a strict policy that they must have 40-percent discount and not one-percent less before ordering. She still took the ISPN number and ordering information but I was disappointed.

But today I ordered five more books so I'm excited about that.

Jean Marie
11-08-2005, 05:46 AM
I started a new thread asking for some help. If there's anyone in the New York City area, or close to CT, I could really use your help.

Jenna is backed up so far on commitments, she's gonna need a few extra paddles to get through them. Borders would like her, but, she's unable, to come and do a talk in December along w/ me, since I'm a local author. Is there anyone that could do this with me? It's an enormous opportunity, and someone from the Red Cross will be there to wrap presents.

Please let me know. I'll be happy to meet you at the train, or whatever other transportation you choose. Horses are good.:)

I also contacted, personally, the local RC offices and left information for them. I included bookmarks too. If going to bookstores isn't working too well, try doing that first. Then find the closest bookstore and tell them you just spoke to so and so at the RC and would they be interested in stocking the book.

I'm going to some other stores this week too. I'll let you know how that works out. I start w/ the customer service/information desk and go from there. Each town I go to, I'm starting w/ the RC office first-get their interest...

I also talked w/ a woman today who sells a lot of stuff on eBay and she's going to include a bookmark w/ each package she sends out.

Local media's next-watch out!!!! This is fun-I'm having a blast w/ it. The other bit of news I should have an answer on tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Alphabet
11-08-2005, 05:46 AM
She said no other books could be ordered because they have a strict policy that they must have 40-percent discount and not one-percent less before ordering.

Yeah, there is no value in having the book stocked by stores that require 40% discount... and I really do mean no value.

If our book has a price of $15.95 and a profit-to-charity of $5.08 then that is 31.7% of price goes to charity - take a 40% discount and presumably the charity gets $0.0 and lulu makes a loss.

This storemanager is clearly operating within her boundaries for business decisions, not her fault at all - need to speak to whomever in the company is responsible for charitable decisions. ;-)

Jean Marie
11-08-2005, 05:57 AM
WOW!! How did you do that?

I had made an appt with the gal that orders for our Borders and I talked to her on Monday and they were nice but said that all they could order was two books to place under "local authors" section. BUT she had to review the book in its entirety first.

She said no other books could be ordered because they have a strict policy that they must have 40-percent discount and not one-percent less before ordering. She still took the ISPN number and ordering information but I was disappointed.

But today I ordered five more books so I'm excited about that.

Any other stores in your area? Independent, maybe? Or, go to another Borders:) I did go to another store that begins w/ a B and ends w/ an N, but, I don't really want to say who it is...they said it would have to go through corporate. Then they asked if I'd contacted any other stores. I said, "Yes, Borders down the street is stocking it." They said, "May I have that information. I'll take a look and see what I can do." Who knows what they'll decide.

Point is, don't get discouraged.

mommie4a
11-08-2005, 05:30 PM
as of 8:30am in Ohio!

September skies
11-08-2005, 07:42 PM
That's great! Does anyone know what number we started at?

ChunkyC
11-08-2005, 08:09 PM
That's great! Does anyone know what number we started at?
The first time it was shown in the storefront, I think it was in the 2-thousands or something like that, but it started moving fast because we had such a big first couple of days.

September skies
11-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks. I wanted to know since reporter due here soon. :-) So that's great. So from two thousand to the No. 61 spot. Cool.

Robin Bayne
11-09-2005, 01:00 AM
Should we start a thread of who lives where so we can coordinate more group signing events??

ChunkyC
11-09-2005, 11:55 PM
I just ordered 14 books for my co-workers, broken into groups of 5, 5 & 4 to qualify for SuperSaver free shipping. That brings us to a grand total of 300 books sold as of this moment! How neat!

mommie4a
11-10-2005, 02:00 AM
I just ordered 14 books for my co-workers, broken into groups of 5, 5 & 4 to qualify for SuperSaver free shipping. That brings us to a grand total of 300 books sold as of this moment! How neat!

Chunky - Why 5, 5 and 4? I was going to order just one batch of 30-40 - can I still get the SuperSaver thing? My biggest groan is having to re-package them all and re-send but that's really not such a big deal.

ChunkyC
11-10-2005, 02:39 AM
Chunky - Why 5, 5 and 4? I was going to order just one batch of 30-40 - can I still get the SuperSaver thing? My biggest groan is having to re-package them all and re-send but that's really not such a big deal.
To qualify for the free SuperSaver shipping, an order must be between $25 and $100 US. Therefore, at the SoS price of $15.95, you need to buy 2 to 6 books per order to qualify for free shipping. Check it out here. (http://www.lulu.com/browse/homepage.php)

September skies
11-10-2005, 10:34 AM
I had sent out emails to classmates and by today I have received 8 sincere replies from different ones who are going to get the book. (I'm not counting those who just congratulated me or said nice things about it) So I'm real excited. One friend lives in San Diego and she said that today was her monthly book club meeting and she brought it up to them and several of them said they'd be happy to buy the book to contribute towards our good cause.

aruna
11-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Lulu ranking: 54.

Interestingly, I found a Tsumani relief book on Lulu's site: http://www.lulu.com/content/103045

ChunkyC
11-10-2005, 07:23 PM
One more spot: up to #53 on the top 100.

Ken Schneider
11-10-2005, 08:07 PM
rubs hands together in a sinister manner "excellent"

aruna
11-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Recent Titles

November 2005

View by: this week (http://www.lulu.com/browse/stats.php?fResolution=week) | this month
RankContent1

http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_5/172000/172091/3/preview/list_172091.jpg (http://www.lulu.com/content/172091)Stories of Strength (http://www.lulu.com/content/172091)
by Various Authors (http://www.lulu.com/browse/author_view.php?fAID=127874)

http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_4/108000/108815/4/preview/list_108815.jpg (http://www.lulu.com/content/108815)THE LIFE AND WORK OF J. ALLEN ST. JOHN (http://www.lulu.com/content/108815)
by Darrell C. Richardson (http://www.lulu.com/browse/author_view.php?fAID=133385)

http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_6/75000/75052/6/preview/list_75052.jpg (http://www.lulu.com/content/75052)The Canadian Football League: The Phoenix of Professional Sports Leagues (Revised Edition) (http://www.lulu.com/content/75052)
by Steve O'Brien (http://www.lulu.com/sobrien)

http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_5/174000/174236/6/preview/list_174236.jpg (http://www.lulu.com/content/174236)A Light Blazes in the Darkness: Advent Devotionals from an Intentional Online Community (http://www.lulu.com/content/174236)
by Theresa Coleman (http://www.lulu.com/browse/author_view.php?fAID=215782)

http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_4/167000/167285/3/preview/list_167285.jpg (http://www.lulu.com/content/167285)Miracles Happen Every Day at COTS (http://www.lulu.com/content/167285)
by 2006 Calendar (http://www.lulu.com/browse/author_view.php?fAID=95008)
»More recent titles (http://www.lulu.com/browse/stats_recent_titles.php)

ChunkyC
11-12-2005, 06:14 PM
This morning's Lulu top 100 ranking (as of 9 a.m. eastern):

Ken Schneider
11-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Woot!http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

JennaGlatzer
11-13-2005, 04:04 AM
Annnd... we're closing in on $2000 in donations! We're at $1900 right now. :banana: 375 books sold.

Jean Marie
11-13-2005, 06:11 AM
Holy you know whathttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/Emotepartyguy.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emotePartySmiley.gif Just when you think it can't get any cooler!!

September skies
11-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Ohhh Baby! Yes Yes Yes! :Clap:

Moondancer
11-13-2005, 06:18 AM
This morning's Lulu top 100 ranking (as of 9 a.m. eastern):

Okay, so I missed it by a week with my prediction... I got the first prediction right... and the third one... that's a better rate than you usually get with a psychic...

ChunkyC
11-13-2005, 05:42 PM
We've moved up to #41, which puts us only 2 behind Mr. Travis Tea's Atlanta Nights!

*cue theme music from JAWS* da-dum dum-dum dum-dum dum-dum

JennaGlatzer
11-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Ahem.

395 books sold,

MORE THAN $2000 RAISED FOR DISASTER RELIEF!

KimJo
11-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Yes!!! Only two weeks (not even, quite) after SoS's release!

This is awesome!!!!!!!!!!

AmyDoodle
11-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Great work everybody!

:snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy:

And we're just getting started!

rtilryarms
11-15-2005, 12:25 AM
Putting in my order soon. Christmas shopping.

awatkins
11-15-2005, 12:44 AM
:hooray: :Jump: :hooray:

shelagh
11-15-2005, 02:27 AM
SoS on amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1411655036/ref%3Dnosim/findthelowesb-21/202-0877031-6882267

and amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1411655036/ref%3Dnosim/findthelowesb-21/102-5174199-8311338

ChunkyC
11-15-2005, 02:36 AM
Waa-HOOOO!!! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonbanana.gif http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteJump.gif http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/Emotesnoopy.gif

And in Canada! (http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1411655036/qid=1132007914/sr=1-31/ref=sr_1_0_31/701-3611005-3629931)

Alphabet
11-15-2005, 02:52 AM
THATS GREAT and you know why... most of all.. why? somebody can finally tell me what the 'to charity' of those books ends up being, right?

I mean now that it has got prices LULU should be able to tell us that info

THAT is the milestone I'm gonna do a :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: for

Please let me know asap CC, you know I need it.

Edit: PS - When we can add the to charity for 'as bookstores in US and UK might order it' too then you won't ever have seen so many dancing bananas in one place as there are going to be!

biotales
11-15-2005, 03:12 AM
thank you for the insightful post.... now cut the banana thingies...
I hate dancing banana's... it is not naturel...
:box: :guns: :crazy: :wag: :)

THATS GREAT and you know why... most of all.. why? somebody can finally tell me what the 'to charity' of those books ends up being, right?

I mean now that it has got prices LULU should be able to tell us that info

THAT is the milestone I'm gonna do a :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: for

Please let me know asap CC, you know I need it.

Edit: PS - When we can add the to charity for 'as bookstores in US and UK might order it' too then you won't ever have seen so many dancing bananas in one place as there are going to be!

September skies
11-15-2005, 08:40 AM
That makes me feel like dancing -- I want to dance the night away!
:PartySmil:PartySmil

aruna
11-15-2005, 11:50 AM
SoS on amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1411655036/ref%3Dnosim/findthelowesb-21/202-0877031-6882267

and amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1411655036/ref%3Dnosim/findthelowesb-21/102-5174199-8311338

That is fantastic, Shelagh! And now I am going to start my own media campaign - I was waiting for it to be orderable over here!

The amazing thing is that it already has a 160000 amazon rating over here. Usually books start off near the million mark!

ChunkyC
11-15-2005, 04:33 PM
And.... *drumroll*

Today's Lulu ranking: #31 (actually, 33 as Jean reports below -- musta been a glitch)

We have moved ahead of Atlanta Nights! More important, we've now sold over 400 books, 420 as of 7 a.m. eastern time.

shelagh
11-15-2005, 07:59 PM
SoS available on 24 online bookstores:

http://www.bookfinder4u.com/compare.aspx?isbn=1411655036&mode=direct

ChunkyC
11-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Now that is cool! Thanks for posting the link, Shelagh.

Jean Marie
11-15-2005, 09:02 PM
SOS, # 33 on Luluhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/Emotepartyguy.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteTheWave.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emotePartySmiley.gif

Jean Marie
11-21-2005, 07:34 PM
wow, this one is zippier, except we lost a bunch of messageshttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticoncry.giflike all ones about Jose!! Ah well. Jenna wrote him a letter before she left asking for things he might like to do. Looks like nothing after Nov. 15th until now existshttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonsscared.gif

Lost a bunch of rep comments toohttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

ChunkyC
11-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Yeah, unfortunate but couldn't be helped. See this thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=397117#post397117). Moondancer is going to try to see if there's a way to recover some of that stuff, but can't promise anything.

September skies
11-21-2005, 08:22 PM
I think I miss my nice little rep points more. people say the kindest things. but that's ok - shouldn't take everyone long to get back to their number of posts. the important thing, we're all back together again. i really missed all u guys! and this thing runs so smooth now. I love it! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Jean Marie
11-21-2005, 08:24 PM
"Someone" just accused me of crying, Chunkyhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gif can you believe that?

I just want to be sure everyone knows about Jose being on board, that's the most important. And until Jenna's back, we won't know all the details of his involvement.

Jean Marie
11-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Just checked and SOS is #32 on Lulu!!

Hey, Chunky-did I beat you????

For some reason-which will be straightened out today-Borders hasn't received their 40 books yet. They do, however, have flyers and bookmarks all over the place. The flyers are framed and one is on an endcap where the staff reccomendations are. The other endcap is waiting to be filled. I'll let you know as soon as they've arrived.

ChunkyC
11-22-2005, 12:40 AM
Talk about front page news (http://www.hatrack.com/)! Thank you so much, Mr. Card and all the folks at Hatrack River!

Vanessa
11-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Talk about front page news (http://www.hatrack.com/)! Thank you so much, Mr. Card!

SUWEET!

Moondancer
11-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Wow! That was very sweet of him.

AmyDoodle
11-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Very thoughtful and very much appreciated. THANKS to OSC and staff!

September skies
11-22-2005, 01:00 AM
Wow - with a capital "W" -- not sure my smile can get any bigger. Thank you Mr. Card!http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

ChunkyC
11-22-2005, 02:08 AM
From me:
Here's a milestone of a different colour. Last week, if I used the following search phrase in Google....

"Stories of Strength" Glatzer

...I got about fifty hits. This morning:

Uh-mah-gawd.

From Ken Scheider:
Wow! the word is spreading, Chunky.

Milestone: A place in the road to mark how far you come, how far you have to go, or where you are right now.

Ken

From Jenna:
CC: HA! I did the same thing last night! So cool. Thanks, guys! I saw that a bunch of you have spread the word via message boards, blogs, etc., and a bunch of Absolute Write subscribers who I don't know personally have forwarded our message, too.

Current tally:
433 copies sold, more than $2200 raised.

AND!

Charlie chatted with Lulu today to find out if that includes sales through Amazon, bookstores, etc. IT DOESN'T. Ingram reports to them once a month, at the end of the month following the sales. In other words, any copies that have sold through Amazon, bookstores, libraries, etc. in the month of November will be shown on our online statement at the end of December.
To put it another way, we've sold a lot more than 433 copies. http://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif We've already heard of one bookstore ordering 40 copies, another ordering 10, and several that have ordered at least one or two. And we have a rank on Amazon.co.uk, so I know that copies have sold through there.

The tricky thing will be to figure out the exact tallies once those Ingram numbers start coming in. Right now it's easy for me to do the math-- I just multiply the number of copies sold by $5.09, which is our royalty ($4.07) plus Lulu's commission ($1.02). The retail channel sales are different, though, because Ingram and the bookstores get discounts, so the royalty rate is lower (a little less than $3 in total, I think-- Charlie's clarifying that, too). I may not be able to give exact figures once that kicks in, until we get our quarterly statements and checks (first one arrives in February). I'd have to count up each individual sale instead of an easy multiplication. But I can still give estimates.

From me:

And we have a rank on Amazon.co.uk, so I know that copies have sold through there.
Early this morning on Amazon.com our ranking was in the 130,000 range. Then it jumped to about the 47,000 mark, and is now around 53,000. This and what Jenna mentioned above about Amazon UK shows that the book is selling, kids.

People around the globe are buying our little book.

I think it's my turn to cry, Jenna.

From Jenna:
Wow! That's an outstanding rank, considering it's been listed on Amazon for only a few days.
And wait till Jean gets here to tell you the latest ridiculously cool news. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteSsh.gif (It is SO HARD for me to keep my mouth shut on this.)

From Jean Marie:
Ridiculously Cool News Not bad timing, Jenna. I just got home http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif You could have said something...we have celebrity backing for SOS-Jose Feliciano!!!

I'm completely shameless, I knocked on their door yesterday and asked his wife!! Anything we'd like, Jenna has to put in writing and they'll be more than happy to help. A blurb on the back of the book, marketing materials...http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonbanana.gif I waited until I was a mile down the road until I let out the loudest whoop ever!!

From me:

OMG!!!
http://bestsmileys.com/fainting/1.gif

From Cabria:
OMG! My mom loves Jose Feliciano - "The Cherry Tree" Carol - her absolute favourite. Awesome Jean Marie! Super-fantabulous job!!

Deb :Thumbs::snoopy:

From Jean Marie:
I called my mom last night to tell her, she says I got it from my dad!! Love the thud, Chunky!! This has been what I've been working on for the last week or so.

Borders sets up a giving tree and they wanted me to see if I could get a celebrity to come in. The idea being that SOS would be highlighted as well as customers being able to donate to the celebs charity. Jose can't come to the store because of holiday obligations, but, his wife fell in love w/ the idea of SOS and they'll help any way they can. So, Jenna's writing them a letter which will get to them quickly and maybe we can include a charity that's near and dear to their heart. They've got an awesome rep for giving back in a major way.

As you might imagine, I nearly fell over!! It took about 5 hours for me to stop grinning last night.

As for Borders, they're going to set up another author roundtable for me in February highlighting the re-release of my book through Lulu as well as SOS.

From AmyDoodle:
WE ARE PROUD OF YOU!
Jean Marie--I don't have enough words to say how proud and excited I know we all are. You're more than terrific. You're the terrificist.
http://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/smilehooray.gif http://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/smilehooray.gif http://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/emoteTheWave.gif http://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/Emotesnoopy.gifhttp://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/Emotesnoopy.gifhttp://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/Emotesnoopy.gifhttp://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/Emotesnoopy.gifhttp://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/Emotesnoopy.gif

From me:

Originally Posted by AmyDoodle
You're the terrificist.
why do I picture Jean walking into a Borders, wearing leather and sunglasses, saying "I'm baack" lol

From Jean Marie:
Chunky, you crack me up:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

From awatkins:
http://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/emoticonfaint.gif Wow, that is awesome!! Great job, Jean Marie! I've been a Jose Feliciano fan for years and years. Wait till my husband hears about this. http://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

http://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/emoteTheWave.gif http://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/emoteTheWave.gif

From mommie4a:
Jean Marie - too cool, thank you so so much for the extreme effort!

From Vanessa:
Thanks a bunch Jean Marie. Your effort is outstanding. Having another celebrity behind this project makes it much stronger.

You guys have to help me out with one lil' thing though; Who is Jose Feliciano? I really want to know. Maybe I've seen him or heard him, and just can't put the name with the face. I'm usually up on my music. Help!

From Jean Marie:
Feliz Navidad <<pretend I'm singing, Vanessa!>> Or, Light My Fire

From AmyDoodle:
Vanessa, Jose Feliciano is the blind Latino singer/guitarist who made Feliz Navidad a traditional holiday hit. I'm sure you'd recognize him if you saw or heard him. He's got a distinctive look and sound.Hope that helps!http://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

From Vanessa:

Originally Posted by Jean Marie Feliz Navidad < Or, Light My Fire

Is he the guy that performed in one of the award shows; may have been last year with J-Lo? And they sung in a different language? It was rave performance. I think I know who you're talking about.

From me:
Was he blind and playing the guitar? If so, that's probably him.

His site. (http://www.josefeliciano.com/)

From AmyDoodle:
No, that was Marc Anthony. Google him for Images and there's some close-up pictures. I tried to paste one here, but I am technically illiterate.http://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/EmoteShrug.gif Sorry.

From Jean Marie:
http://www.josefeliciano.com/index2.html

there's his link-check it out!!

From Vanessa:

Originally Posted by Jean Marie http://www.josefeliciano.com/index2.html

there's his link-check it out!!

Awww YEAH! I know him! I mean I know now who you're talking about. Way tooooooooooo cool! Wow!

From Jean Marie:
Thanks for all the sweet comments everyone, I'm just thrilled all of this is coming together. I think ALL of us rock:PartySmil

From rose coloured glasses:
Amazon ranking is now 17,000! We are really selling books!

Jean Marie, you rock!http://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif

From Jenna:

Originally Posted by Rose colored glasses Amazon ranking is now 17,000!

Shut up!

Chunky, I need to borrow your "thud" emoticon.

That's outrageous!

From September Skies:
That is great! What a sweet Feliz Navidad this will be.
AND I finally got my book - plus hubby ordered three more through Amazon today.

From Ken Schneider:
All to cool, and it feels good.

From me:
The link below will take you to a page on Mr. Feliciano's site that should show everyone what a wonderful gift it is to have him at our side in this project. This event was my introduction to this remarkable man. After reading, be sure to give a listen....

The National Anthem (http://www.josefeliciano.com/anthem.html)

From KimJo:
Incredible. Just incredible.

Jean Marie, you are way beyond awesome!!

From rtilryarms:
Feliciano
What a spooky adaptation of J. Feliciano’s “Rain” we could make. Think of what the AW Musicians and writers could do with it and him!

If you have Windows, go to your Window’s Media Player – Music . and paste in Feliciano (don’t type Jose) and you’ll get Rain, Chico and the Man and Dey’s Fleece On My Dog online.

From Yeshanu:

I think it's my turn to cry, Jenna.

Now it's my turn...

I feel so bad that other obligations have kept me from giving as much to this project as it deserves, but y'all are doing a kick-a$$ job, as I'd say at work...

Jean Marie, I didn't know who you were talking about until somebody mentioned Feliz Navidad. I love that song!

http://66.116.174.26/forums/images/smilies/EmoteCheer.gif Go, Team!

From Rose coloured glasses:
Here is something cool - a few days ago when I did a search for SoS on Amazon, I had to go to page 2, where it was number 11 in searches for Stories of Strength. Then yesterday, it was number two in the box at the top of page one. Now, it's number one!

That's a fast climb!

Whew! That should be all the posts that were missing.

Jean Marie
11-22-2005, 03:03 AM
I get it-you and Mac are finding all the postshttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteHail.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteHail.gif Wow!!

I spoke to Borders a couple hours ago and found out some info. Apparently there was a glitch-which has now been taken care of-so, all 40 books are on their way to them. BTW, this means they haven't been counted in the running tally Chunky's been keepinghttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif Now they will!! Hopefully they'll have them sometime next week. I'll let all of you know when they arrive and when they're on the endcaps. Yup, that's right-2, because there will also be a copy under staff recommendations!!

Shwebb
11-22-2005, 03:20 AM
RE: Orson Scott Card and Hatrack.com:

I came over to post that I got another email from Kathleen, his assistant, and I saw you guys already saw the updated website!

I sent her a nice, heartfelt "thank you" reply. (I admitted that it probably caused a few tears in the eyes of some of the contributors to see it on his website.)

shelagh
11-22-2005, 01:51 PM
And we have a rank on Amazon.co.uk, so I know that copies have sold through there.

Today's ranking on amazon.co.uk #82,118!

Susie
11-22-2005, 04:01 PM
That' super wonderful how well SOS is doing! Way2go! :Hug2;

ChunkyC
11-22-2005, 07:44 PM
RE: Orson Scott Card and Hatrack.com:

I came over to post that I got another email from Kathleen, his assistant, and I saw you guys already saw the updated website!

I sent her a nice, heartfelt "thank you" reply. (I admitted that it probably caused a few tears in the eyes of some of the contributors to see it on his website.)
Indeed it did! PS -- read your SoS story, just wonderful. As are all of them. I'm in awe of the talent Jenna crammed in between those covers.

Kim Gogo
11-22-2005, 08:50 PM
I agree, CC. I have been having a very tough week and a half and the other night I realized that I too need some enrichment. I've been reading a few a night. They're all so refreshing and I am again reminded of how blessed I am to have something of mine included.

kim

rhymegirl
11-22-2005, 09:23 PM
I finally have received my SOS!!

I wanted to read this book from cover to cover, but alas, had to stop to get some writing done. I am so impressed with the essays, stories and poems. I'm also very proud to be included in such talented company.

I hope this book ends up on a best seller list!

Shwebb
11-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Thanks, CC.

Kim, that's how I've found I have to read it. I feel like it's like (oh, dear) a box of very rich chocolates--I can read only one or two at a time, and so savor each one of them. (Which normally isn't like me--I read most books the way I put away junk food--but nothing about this book is junk!)

Unlike chocolates, I can always re-visit the book!

Shwebb
11-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Speaking of milestones . . .

Okay, it's not an SoS milestone, but just wanted y'all to know that I'll be going in for induction on Sunday, the 27th to have this baby girl by (hopefully) the 28th. Last week's ultrasound showed she weighed 7 lb, 5 oz already! (Don't know how to convert that for you Canadians.)

I will see if I can get SOMETHING in our newspapers by then.

ChunkyC
11-22-2005, 11:25 PM
Will this be our first official 'SoS baby?' Poor thing will have 114 god-parents! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteKiss.gif

AmyDoodle
11-22-2005, 11:41 PM
A Baby! :hooray: We'll want to know all the details: Eye color, hair color (if any), length, weight, pen name, EVERYTHING! I'll be thinking of you this weekend. You'll do great!

Shwebb
11-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Okay, now you guys are gonna make ME cry!

I'll be sure to post everything as soon as I'll be able to. (I might bribe the husband to let me bring his laptop w/ me.)

The kind folks here at AW were also very helpful to give suggestions for baby names--I'll post a thread w/ all the particulars on it when she arrives!

She should be so lucky to have so many care about her!

Thanks.:)

biotales
11-23-2005, 12:15 AM
Things I will not do for you..... CHANGE THE DIAPERS, BABYSIT, FEED THE BABY PEAS OR ANYTHING ELSE THEY CAN SPIT BACK AT ME...
Things I will do for you.... spoil it rotten with tons of love.....
best of all to you and your husband and to the baby most of all...
:)

Jean Marie
11-23-2005, 04:18 AM
That is very exciting-an SOS babyhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteJump.gif and she might be born on Sunday you said? Hmm, that's the birthday of the compassionate creator of SOShttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Shwebb
11-23-2005, 05:38 AM
Actually, I go in on Sunday, get induced and have the baby on Monday. But, it could always happen on Sunday, anyway!

aruna
11-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Actually, I go in on Sunday, get induced and have the baby on Monday. But, it could always happen on Sunday, anyway!

Oh my, a baby girl! I'll be thinking of you all - I just love babies and biths!

Amended to read: babies and births! That looks like bitches!

ChunkyC
11-23-2005, 08:01 PM
We've now sold 502 books directly through the Lulu storefront! Today's rank as of 11 a.m. eastern:

# 29

WHOOHOO!

AND....

Our Amazon.com ranking just jumped from around the 260,000 mark last night to....

(I've gotta stop doing that, my forehead is getting sore)

awatkins
11-23-2005, 08:11 PM
:faint: :Jump: :hooray: :snoopy:

shelagh
11-23-2005, 10:57 PM
We've now sold 502 books directly through the Lulu storefront! Today's rank as of 11 a.m. eastern:

# 29

WHOOHOO!

AND....

Our Amazon.com ranking just jumped from around the 260,000 mark last night to....

(I've gotta stop doing that, my forehead is getting sore)

It's now #10682!!!

Moondancer
11-23-2005, 11:09 PM
I echo that WOOHOO!

ChunkyC is a:

Alphabet
11-23-2005, 11:21 PM
I echo that WOOHOO!

Wouldn't that be ' OO! OO! oo!'

Kim Gogo
11-24-2005, 12:39 AM
lmao

k

Robin Bayne
11-26-2005, 08:17 PM
lmao

k

Cool on the stats. :)

Jean Marie
11-27-2005, 07:45 AM
My local independent, somewhat, well, very upscale pet store ordered a number of SOS books today! I need Chunky's thud emoticon. I asked yesterday if I could put some bookmarks next to the register since they're going to have a gazillion dogs for Santa photos Sunday. So, I brought in a bunch of freshly printed ones this morning and they ordered the book. I'll find out tomorrow how many. They loved the ideahttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif Oh, Jenna, I'm gonna need more bookplates...

Chunky!! Will you know before I do how many they ordered????

ChunkyC
11-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Chunky!! Will you know before I do how many they ordered????
That's so cool! If they ordered directly from Lulu, I will see it, but just the number of copies, not who ordered them. There were fourteen books sold yesterday, including one sale of 12 books. I wonder if that was it?

Today's Lulu rank: #26

Jean Marie
11-27-2005, 07:35 PM
That was it, Chunky-12 books!! They ordered directly from Lulu!! They're selling them in their store in Westporthttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif Wow, it's a great store anyway, now, it's that much betterhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif It's called Earth Animal and is very holistic. Should be interesting to see how quickly they sell.

They sell bracelets to help the animals affected by Katrina and have raised a lot for that, so SOS does fit.

Cabria
11-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Well, I bought six of those books yesterday. I keep ordering six books after the previous books are shipped to apply for the supersaving status. My husband is planning to sell them at our business (he's a pharmacist - we own a drug store). He has the posters up and people have been inquiring, so he's going to stock a few books under the poster and give it at whirl. I have to do something, because my local support here is shamefully disappointing, to say the least. And I have worked damn hard at promoting this. Still waiting on the TV interview (don't know if I'm getting the run around with that now). Newspapers? That's a joke. I've emailed follow-ups with just one reply. And that reply was "it will be sent to the assignments editor again". Yet the most outlandish, unimportant things get printed in our local papers, like "woman turned eighty still knitting sweaters for her 25 grandchildren", and "local man takes pride that his boat still has original paint job after 15 years". You get my drift? Arghh!!! So frustrating. Sorry I'm coming across as negative but this is driving me crazy! I can't catch a break. I've visited bookstores, card shops, novelty type stores, explaining everything and they look at me like I have ten heads! So, my dear, sweet husband is helping me out - he is as surprised by this response as I am.

Deb http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteShrug.gif

Kim Gogo
11-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Arghh!!! So frustrating. Sorry I'm coming across as negative but this is driving me crazy! I can't catch a break. I've visited bookstores, card shops, novelty type stores, explaining everything and they look at me like I have ten heads! So, my dear, sweet husband is helping me out - he is as surprised by this response as I am.

I know how you feel, Debbie. I've sent two emails, a fax, and left two voicemails at the local CTV affiliate. I just can't understand why they aren't interested. My hometown newspaper has been the only one interested. The other tv and radio stations haven't said boo, and I've left voicemails for the book reviewer at the largest paper in the capital. People are more interested in depressing, mankind atrocity angled stories than good works. What a world!

kim

Moondancer
11-28-2005, 12:46 AM
Wouldn't that be ' OO! OO! oo!'

Or HOO HOo hoo?

Moondancer
11-28-2005, 12:48 AM
I'm feeling the same way, ladies. So far I've managed to get a poster in one bookstore... just a poster. No newspapers, except one in MS to even sound interested. You'd think in a town as large as this one, somebody would care but that's not turning out to be the case.

Jean Marie
11-28-2005, 02:10 AM
Turns out the pet store hasn't ordered yet, they will tomorrow. And knowing Chunky, he'll know first.

As for those of you who aren't experiencing the same reception as I am, I've no idea what to say. I live/rent a rinky dink cottage in a huge $ area. I'm only an hour outside of NYC, maybe that has something to do w/ it, I don't know. IF that's the case, then please don't compare to my situation-okay? In other words, all of us are working hard.

Cabria
11-28-2005, 05:10 AM
It makes me feel better knowing that I'm not the only one having trouble with progression as far as the media and bookstores are concerned. Perhaps in due time. And you're right Jean Marie, we are all working hard and doing our best - and that's what counts. Guess I just need a little boost from you guys now and then.

Deb http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteHug2.gif

Kim Gogo
11-28-2005, 05:27 AM
Guess I just need a little boost from you guys now and then.

Deb http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteHug2.gif

And thus the reason that brought us all here to AW... :)

kim

Moondancer
11-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Turns out the pet store hasn't ordered yet, they will tomorrow. And knowing Chunky, he'll know first.

As for those of you who aren't experiencing the same reception as I am, I've no idea what to say. I live/rent a rinky dink cottage in a huge $ area. I'm only an hour outside of NYC, maybe that has something to do w/ it, I don't know. IF that's the case, then please don't compare to my situation-okay? In other words, all of us are working hard.

It's no reflection on you and the wonderful progress you are making. I'm sure we are all happy that you are having such success there. I know I am but I feel bad because this area just doesn't seem to be interested. It's like Cabria said, we just need a boost now and then.

KimJo
11-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Some of our efforts may be meeting with better reception than others (huge congratulations, Jean Marie!), but the important thing is that we're all making the efforts. We've accomplished something wonderful just by being part of this.

That's my version of a pep talk for the day :)

Moondancer
11-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Some of our efforts may be meeting with better reception than others (huge congratulations, Jean Marie!), but the important thing is that we're all making the efforts. We've accomplished something wonderful just by being part of this.

That's my version of a pep talk for the day :)

It's a good pep talk and I totally agree with it. Please don't let my grumbling take away from the successes of everyone else. I'm not grumbling at you, I'm grumbling at the silly people in this city.

Alphabet
11-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Pep talk: Trying IS success - the success of knowing that whatever is supposed to happen will out (now that you've tried) - failure is only not having given the attempt.

Idea: Carry the book around with you, and whenever possible read it in public - people pay a lot of attention to which books people are prepared to carry about. You'd be surprised. If noone approaches you while reading it, then turn to whoever is near by and say that it is a wonderful book and you are so glad you bought it etc. Don't think of it as individual converts, each person is a whole family full of connections, and you never know who you are speaking to or who their uncle might be!

Annecdote: On my travels (travails?) around some local shopkeepers I spoke to one person, the duty manager, and I don't know whether it will result in shop-based sales but he said 'I know about 5 people in my family this will be ideal for' - what I think that shows is you just never know what it's worth, but it's most certainly worth the effort.

shelagh
11-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Newspapers? That's a joke. I've emailed follow-ups with just one reply. And that reply was "it will be sent to the assignments editor again". Yet the most outlandish, unimportant things get printed in our local papers, like "woman turned eighty still knitting sweaters for her 25 grandchildren", and "local man takes pride that his boat still has original paint job after 15 years". You get my drift? Arghh!!! So frustrating. Sorry I'm coming across as negative but this is driving me crazy! I can't catch a break. I've visited bookstores, card shops, novelty type stores, explaining everything and they look at me like I have ten heads! So, my dear, sweet husband is helping me out - he is as surprised by this response as I am.

Hi Deb,

Don't worry, you aren't coming across as negative. We all have a natural empathy for an "animal in distress story" and the the whole world held its breath as the media followed the plight of a small boy trapped in a well in Italy. The devastation caused by earthquakes, tidal waves and hurricanes is on a scale that humans find overwhelmingly difficult to relate to.

Newspapers run human interest stories because that's what their readers want to read. The key is to become well-known enough within your commuity for local folk to be interested in reading about you and what you are doing to help thousands of people, who are living out of a suitcase, without a roof over their heads that they can call their own.

People who have lost everything they own and are having to start again with nothing, often without family support because they have been forced away from their destroyed hometown.

People who need help now.

It is difficult to interest the press/media and the public at large, especially in the UK, where people have just generously raised over thirty million pounds for the "Save the Children" fund that helps children all over the world.

Christmas is upon us, and umpteen letters will be falling through the letterboxes of every home in the country asking the occupants to donate to any number of different charities.

In the face of such fierce competition, I congratulate you on your success.

Well done! Every little helps!

Shelagh :) :Sun: :kiss:

Moondancer
11-28-2005, 09:32 PM
In the face of such fierce competition, I congratulate you on your success.

Well done! Every little helps!

Shelagh :) :Sun: :kiss:

Yes, it does. I just feel bad because I haven't helped that much... or at least it seems like I haven't. I don't think my head can take much more banging against the stone walls here but I'll keep trying.

ChunkyC
11-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Shelagh's right about every little bit helping. Even if your efforts only bring in one sale, that's one sale we wouldn't have had otherwise.

My successes so far feel good, but come with caveats. The newspaper article came about due in no small part to the fact that I've been writing a weekly movie review column for them since August of 2001 and have never missed a deadline. They like working with me (the proof is in that I just got a raise), and now my diligence has paid off for SoS. If I was unknown to them and just approached them out of the blue, I might have got a much smaller write-up, if at all.

And the TV interview I'm doing next month is the only other solid bite I've received from two dozen press releases and half as many follow ups. And even there, the show I'll be on regulary schedules area writers. If an author segment hadn't been part of their regular schedule, I doubt they would have responded to the initial press release I sent them.

Alphabet suggested carrying the book around with you. That's great advice. Tom Clancy's first novel 'The Hunt for Red October' was going nowhere fast until a reporter spotted a copy under then President Ronald Reagan's arm and asked what he was reading. I know we're not the kind of people who have reporters following our every move, but if someone sees the book, they just might be curious enough to want to know more about it. And if you do happen to know someone who is in the public eye in your area, see if they'll buy a copy. If they get seen reading it, who knows?

AmyDoodle
11-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Don't forget that every victory is a victory for the team. We're all in this together and if Jean Marie's or Chunky's or Moondancer's or Cabria's efforts result in success, it's success for ALL of us and most of all for the people in the Gulf Coast area who are facing a miserable holiday season.

The folks around here seem brain-befuddled too, but when I see that Deb (or any of the rest of us) is trying everything she can think of to get the word out, that might just (and has been) the push I need to work up the courage to talk to someone I might not have been brave enough to face. Your pluck might result in a sale in a small town in South Carolina that doesn't even show up on your map!

Tremendous thanks to everyone for your enthusiasm and determination. You guys are the best.

Ken Schneider
11-29-2005, 02:30 AM
I look at it like this. We are one hundred salesmen spread all over the U.S.,Canada, and Great Britian. Some salesmen have more success than others for various reasons. No effort is wasted, and your time is well spent in the overall scheme of things.

I'll do the best I can here, and I know that everyone, everywhere, is doing the same.
Go team!

Ken

Moondancer
11-29-2005, 04:48 AM
I'm going to try a different tack starting tomorrow. There is no way I'll make 50,000 for nano anyway and this is more important ... besides... I didn't do too badly if I can get the rest of it in the computer before midnight two days from now. I have to write long hand then type it up... old habits die hard... ooO(and this from a techie geek)

janetr
11-29-2005, 05:15 AM
I had just read Alphabet's advise about carrying the book around before I shut my computer off and went down to the Mayo in Rochester. My daughter (the beautiful subject of my story) was going to see a reconstructive surgeon there to find out what could possibly be done to give her back her full-moon smile and I remembered what Alphabet said and grabbed my book. During the drive it hit me. I told my husband I was going to give my book to her doctor and ask him to see if he could get the gift shops at the Mayo to order it. And that is what I did! He was thrilled with my gift and said he would happily talk to the gift shops. I am far from a salesperson, as others have also mentioned, but it helped me that he genuinely seemed enthusiastic about the book and Jocelyn's story and so did his nurse. This was a big step for me. Thanks Alphabet for the suggestion--you never know what might happen. :Clap:
janetr

Jean Marie
11-29-2005, 05:20 AM
Fantastic Janetr:Clap: and I hope your daughter does well too!! Way to go!!

ChunkyC
11-29-2005, 05:33 AM
Indeed!

Moondancer
11-29-2005, 05:35 AM
Very cool, janetr!

Alphabet
11-29-2005, 05:58 AM
Oh no, janet. You took my suggestion and upgraded it, the credit is all yours. :Clap:

janetr
11-29-2005, 06:02 AM
Thank you. I've gotten a late start because of a family crisis (it seems there is no shortage of those). I am now going after my alma mater. After all the money I paid for my degree I think they owe an alumna a few books in their bookstore! Thanks again, you guys are great.
janetr

BJ Bourg
11-29-2005, 06:03 AM
I want to start by saying that I’m bashful about my writing. It’s easy to discuss it on writing lists where I’m not known, but I don’t do it here in my hometown. Locally, I’m known for a few different things, but not at all for my writing. The reason is simple…I don’t tell anyone about it.

Well, since SoS is such a great cause, I decided to “break” my silence. I sent the official press release to one of our local news reporters. She responded immediately and said she wanted to interview me, so I dragged my butt over to her office. She’s written several stories about cases I’ve worked and I see her in court often, so she’s known about me for quite a while.

The first thing she asked was how long I’d been writing. I told her six years. She said, “I didn’t know you write.” I said, “Well, I don’t go around telling people.” She went on to ask MANY more questions and we visited for over an hour. When we were done, she said she was going to do a full story in the “Lifestyles” section of the paper. She says she thinks it'll be a great story and many people will be excited about SoS.

I don’t know yet how I feel about being “exposed” as a writer, but I did feel really good about her interest in Stories of Strength. It was a positive experience and I hope it results in SALES, SALES, SALES.

Y'all take care,

bjb

P.S. I've been following the SoS rankings on Lulu and Amazon and I'm VERY impressed! Jenna, you're a true American hero!

janetr
11-29-2005, 06:11 AM
It seems we are all coming out of our writing closet!

AmyDoodle
11-29-2005, 09:35 PM
BJ, Janet, THANKS. You are inspirational! :Clap:

jdkiggins
11-29-2005, 11:26 PM
Hi everyone,
I received an e-mail from Pittsburgh Magazine this morning requesting a review copy of Stories of Strength. They would like to feature it in the February issue! Woo Hoo!

Now, my question. Where is the PDF copy I can e-mail and are there any review copies left in case she wants the book rather than pdf file?

ETA: Found the PDF file. But I still need to know about the review copies. ;)

Vanessa
11-30-2005, 12:03 AM
I want to start by saying that I’m bashful about my writing. It’s easy to discuss it on writing lists where I’m not known, but I don’t do it here in my hometown. Locally, I’m known for a few different things, but not at all for my writing. The reason is simple…I don’t tell anyone about it.

Well, since SoS is such a great cause, I decided to “break” my silence. I sent the official press release to one of our local news reporters. She responded immediately and said she wanted to interview me, so I dragged my butt over to her office. She’s written several stories about cases I’ve worked and I see her in court often, so she’s known about me for quite a while.

The first thing she asked was how long I’d been writing. I told her six years. She said, “I didn’t know you write.” I said, “Well, I don’t go around telling people.” She went on to ask MANY more questions and we visited for over an hour. When we were done, she said she was going to do a full story in the “Lifestyles” section of the paper. She says she thinks it'll be a great story and many people will be excited about SoS.

I don’t know yet how I feel about being “exposed” as a writer, but I did feel really good about her interest in Stories of Strength. It was a positive experience and I hope it results in SALES, SALES, SALES.

Y'all take care,

bjb

P.S. I've been following the SoS rankings on Lulu and Amazon and I'm VERY impressed! Jenna, you're a true American hero!

Hey BJ, Interesting: I've been home almost 3 weeks, and I've sent out more than 20 press releases to several radio, tv and newspapers. and nothing. Absolutely nothing other than Barnes and Noble ordering the book.
What newspaper is it that you got a spot in, and where in Louisiana?

P.S. Way to go Joanne http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

ChunkyC
11-30-2005, 12:51 AM
ETA: Found the PDF file. But I still need to know about the review copies. ;)
Jenna is taking care of handing those out. I do believe we've passed out all of the ones Lulu donated, but there was money donated to purchase more if and when needed. She'll be back on Thursday or Friday, you can touch base with her then if you end up requiring a printed review copy.

I also just heard back from Indigo Books and Music (http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/), Canada's largest bookstore chain with over 300 stores. The gave me the great news that they are putting Stories of Strength in their catalogue. It should show up online in a day or two and then folks across Canada can order it through them.

W00t!

jdkiggins
11-30-2005, 12:57 AM
Thanks CC. I thought someone may be handling it while she was on vacation. I'll PM or e-mail or later in the week if they request a copy.

Jean Marie
11-30-2005, 03:39 AM
Jenna is taking care of handing those out. I do believe we've passed out all of the ones Lulu donated, but there was money donated to purchase more if and when needed. She'll be back on Thursday or Friday, you can touch base with her then if you end up requiring a printed review copy.

I also just heard back from Indigo Books and Music (http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/), Canada's largest bookstore chain with over 300 stores. The gave me the great news that they are putting Stories of Strength in their catalogue. It should show up online in a day or two and then folks across Canada can order it through them.

W00t!

All right, Chunky!!! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif

BJ Bourg
11-30-2005, 05:42 AM
Hey BJ, Interesting: I've been home almost 3 weeks, and I've sent out more than 20 press releases to several radio, tv and newspapers. and nothing. Absolutely nothing other than Barnes and Noble ordering the book.
What newspaper is it that you got a spot in, and where in Louisiana?

P.S. Way to go Joanne http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hey, Vanessa,

I sent the press release to the Daily Comet here in Thibodaux. It covers Lafourche Parish, Assumption Parish, the west bank of St. James Parish, and the northern part of Terrebonne Parish. I'm already well known here, so that's probably the main reason they agreed to do the story. Whatever the reason, I'm very grateful to Liz for agreeing to do the story and I hope it generates some sales in this area.

Take care,

bjb

Vanessa
11-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Thanks BJ, well at least you got a bite. I bet as soon as I leave, and things start to settle down, I start getting phone calls. At least I hope. I keep hearing the same ole story here in Baton Rouge and New Orleans. I won't give up though. Anyway, good luck and congrats. Knock 'em dead.

P.S. Went through your website: Very nice!

BJ Bourg
11-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Sure thing, Vanessa. Good luck with the phone calls! I'm sure they'll all come around. I love your determination and I know it will pay off for you!

You know, I really think it's neat that your VERY first published story is included in a work such as this. What better way to begin a writing career than with a work of love?

Take care,

bjb

P.S. Thanks!!! I checked out your website, as well. I LOVED your digital shots! You're an AWESOME photographer!

ChunkyC
12-01-2005, 01:28 AM
Vanessa ROCKS, and so do you, BJ. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteHug2.gif

On Amazon's Canadian site, SoS has been ranked in the neighborhood of 10,000. I think, because Canada's population is roughly one/tenth the size of the USA, that this might be comparable to ranking 100,000 on the US site. A very respectable number in line with what we've been seeing on the US site.

Well, I just checked Amazon.ca and....

Amazon.ca Sales Rank 999
If anyone up here has doubts that their efforts are being wasted, you can put them away. That number is awesome!

Vanessa
12-01-2005, 05:10 AM
Sure thing, Vanessa. Good luck with the phone calls! I'm sure they'll all come around. I love your determination and I know it will pay off for you!

You know, I really think it's neat that your VERY first published story is included in a work such as this. What better way to begin a writing career than with a work of love?

Take care,

bjb

P.S. Thanks!!! I checked out your website, as well. I LOVED your digital shots! You're an AWESOME photographer!

Thank you BJ, That was sweet.
Thanks Chunky for the hugs. :-) Way to go Amazon!

Shwebb
12-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Idea: Carry the book around with you, and whenever possible read it in public - people pay a lot of attention to which books people are prepared to carry about. You'd be surprised. If no one approaches you while reading it, then turn to whoever is near by and say that it is a wonderful book and you are so glad you bought it etc. Don't think of it as individual converts, each person is a whole family full of connections, and you never know who you are speaking to or who their uncle might be!

I took the book w/ me to the hospital and kept it on my bedside table. I brought it up at every opportunity; I think I got some people interested! (At the very least, the hospital staff were impressed they had a "writer" on the unit! :) )

I believe the local paper will have a news article about the book on Friday. I'll keep you posted; I'm trying to get them to put it on their online news site.

mommie4a
12-03-2005, 06:43 PM
12/3/05 #22 on Lulu - way to go, team! Amazing. :)

ChunkyC
12-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Today on Lulu's all-time top 100 list:

We're continuing to climb, folks!

Jean Marie
12-06-2005, 11:28 PM
Okay, folks, here's the latest.

It's the best we, me and Borders could come up w/. They did receive all 40 books a couple of days agohttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smilehooray.gif

'Someone' is sending me bookplates *ahem*http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteHail.gif which will be properly/correctly inserted. Said flyers will be made (no time for posters) on 100lb card stock which will be hung on long table. I will be seated behind table, on my behindhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteShrug.gifand will be wrapping whatever customers bring me. I will have bunches of SOS books around me as well as bookmarks. I promise to wear clean jeans and take a shower beforehand and leave Kola homehttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticoncry.gifI cannot lie and say he's a guide dog (sunglasses on him? no-those would go on me).

I will be there this Friday, 9 Dec. from 9 am-3 pm even though we're supposed to have a nor'easter. Should be a heavy shopping day. I did whip off a blurb to this effect to the CT Post, hopefully it will make it in. The short notice couldn't be helped since this was just decided yesterday and firmed up about an hour ago.

Anyone in the area who wants to stop in and have coffee or throw a snowball or 2, please dohttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonthankyou.gif

Vanessa
12-07-2005, 02:53 AM
Great Job Jean Marie!

Good luck, have some fun and do your thang girl.

Ken Schneider
12-07-2005, 03:21 AM
I so wish I could come visit you Jean Marie. The sigining sounds interesting too. secondary to my machinations... and, um' well. Tee hee.

But, should we do a get together in the spring as has been mentioned, re New York, I will be there.

SOS is in two bookstores here, now, stocked. The newspapers in the area have run the story- The Redcross says they still have us on the docket in line for a conference, but they are painfully slow.

I checked with both bookstores and they are having sales since the newspaper articles, and will ordering a second round of books. Both stores have SOS in a traditional publisher paying spot, up front on an endcap, with the books in several nice clear holders. The 11x17 poster is pasted to the board next to the books. It really looks great.

I thanked them of course. But the owner said, "No, Thank you for letting us be associated with your effort."

Because the readers are so receptive to the book.

So, really, we don't need the big boy stores if we can all get one bookstore to stock SOS.

We are spread far and wide, like a hundred salespersons<(notice the political correctness), ha, ha, so that we have a large market coverage. Once they see the book- SOS, and see the sales, they'll be hooked.

ChunkyC
12-07-2005, 04:11 AM
WTG, Jean Marie!

And Ken, you be right on the money, buddy!

Jean Marie
12-07-2005, 04:47 AM
WTG, Jean Marie!

And Ken, you be right on the money, buddy!

Hey, which 'money' is he right on?http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

thanks to both of you and Vanessa too!! Should be lots of fun. I hope it doesn't start snowing until later in the day, want to snag, I mean meet as many shoppers as possiblehttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

AmyDoodle
12-07-2005, 07:03 AM
Jean Marie--I'll be with you in spirit, if not in body this Friday. Please know how proud we all are of you! :Clap: I'm amazed and inspired at what you've accomplished.

And Ken--You've got it going ON!

mommie4a
12-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Thank you for your amazing work and have fun!

Jean Marie
12-09-2005, 12:24 AM
# 20 todayhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smilehooray.gif

ChunkyC
12-11-2005, 02:01 AM
I went down to the bookstore today, and what did I see....

Ken Schneider
12-11-2005, 03:09 AM
Wow! never though of that. Great pic Chunky.

I'll have to take one too.

I went to the bookstores today as well.

They haven't received their restock as of yet.

One told me that their second order was for 12 copies, but have since that order had 20 people who have requested a copy. So, he has ordered more. That'll be twenty five from that store. Plus his third order, whatever that number ends up being.

Way to go team.

Jean Marie
12-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Hey Chunky, love the pic! Hi Ken, great work, both of you!!!http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif

I survived yesterday's snow-7", waited until 11 am to go to Borders. The roads were still slippery. Lots of people came in and I did a ton of wrapping. A few SOS books were sold, a number of bookmarks were handed out and stories were swapped. The response was amazing and one person wrote a $10. check to the RC which I'll mail to Jenna.

I had a nice poster made the day before which Borders wants to framehttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif-I love that storehttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonheart.gif Not only do they have SOS on an endcap, but, they also have them at the customer service desk along w/ the bookmarks.

Sorry if you guys were worried about me w/ the snow http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteKiss.gif it was an awesome experience, loads of interest. The store has already sold about 15 books and they haven't had them that long. I leave for Calif. in a week for Christmas and will be gone for 2 weeks. I'm going to try a couple of Borders while I'm out there and see what happens. Before I leave, I'll go to a couple of independent stores and get a number of how many have sold at Borders. I'll also stop at the pet store and see how many have sold there too.

I only messed up on wrapping the first package-it was one of those Burt's Bees things in the soft plastic case. I mean, c'mon, no edges, how can you possibly make it look neat? And, it's already squishyhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteShrug.gifIt only looked a tiny bit squishier.

All in all, it was a lot of funhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonbanana.gifand it made me very proud to be part of this group!

Vanessa
12-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Jean Marie, Great News Girl! Sounds like you're on a roll. Good for you. Good for us. Great job Ken and Chunky! You all rock!

Jean Marie
12-11-2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks, Vanessa! I think all of us rockhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smilehooray.gif

ChunkyC
12-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Alright, Jean! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif

Robin Bayne
12-11-2005, 11:22 PM
I went down to the bookstore today, and what did I see....

Great pic!!:)

Jean Marie
12-12-2005, 02:09 AM
Thanks, Chunky!!

I needed a REALLY warm hat today-got stuck outside Friday night for an extended period of time. So, I made my way down to my local outdoor sports store, coupon in hand-they have a bunch of stores all over the N.E.-bought my very cool-looking and warm hat. Then I spoke to the manager-after noticing the community events table-and told him all about SOS. I zipped on home and printed out 20 SOS flyers, grabbed 20 bookmarks and when I arrived back at the store, he (Mitch) came out from behind the counter and cleared out a nice, large section for our flyershttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteHail.gif Thank you, Mitch and Tom (was wearing snow shoes and greeting customers at the door) at Eastern Mountain Sportshttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonhi.gif. They promised to explain it to any interested parties and they also said they'd buy the book!!!

ChunkyC
12-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Lulu's top 100 ranking:

AmyDoodle
12-15-2005, 06:36 AM
The top 20! ALRIGHT!

ChunkyC
12-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Lulu's top 100 ranking:

Jean Marie
12-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Heading to Calif. tomorrow for Christmas and will have my SOS review copies in hand. Naturally I plan on visiting a few stores while out there to see if I can get them to order. I'll touch base while I'm away-my mom has a really slow computer.

In the meantime-Merry Christmas and Happy holidays to allhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteHug2.gif

ChunkyC
01-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Well, the retail numbers for December are in, and although I was hoping they'd be higher (146), they've still pushed us up to #17 on Lulu's all time list.

jdkiggins
01-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Woo Hoo! #17

Thanks for the update, CC. ;)

ChunkyC
01-09-2006, 10:26 PM
And now, #16

ChunkyC
01-18-2006, 05:27 AM
I haven't checked on our Lulu standings for a couple of days. Seems we've slipped back one spot to #17.

Bummer.

BUT -- my local bookstore just sold their last copy, so they should be ordering in some more!

ChunkyC
02-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Still at #17 ... but....

This is a small milestone, mind you. However, today for the first time when going to LULU, I saw SoS in the three Featured Content books. It wasn't the one shown at the upper left, but the fact it's among those being featured means it might show up there at some point.

Every bit helps, and having SoS appear on the main page is great!

shelagh
02-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Ridiculously Cool News Not bad timing, Jenna. I just got home You could have said something...we have celebrity backing for SOS-Jose Feliciano!!!

I'm completely shameless, I knocked on their door yesterday and asked his wife!! Anything we'd like, Jenna has to put in writing and they'll be more than happy to help. A blurb on the back of the book, marketing materials... I waited until I was a mile down the road until I let out the loudest whoop ever!!
Jean Marie,

My brother is a big Jose Feliciano fan. He asked me yesterday if I'd heard anything more about Jose's involvement with SoS. In case I missed anything, please could you update me about this?

Thanks,
Shelagh

Jean Marie
02-13-2006, 01:53 AM
Jean Marie,

My brother is a big Jose Feliciano fan. He asked me yesterday if I'd heard anything more about Jose's involvement with SoS. In case I missed anything, please could you update me about this?

Thanks,
Shelagh
No.