Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
The store went live late on October 31st.

At 9:31 p.m. (ET) on Nov. 1st, we sold our 100th book, raising more than $500 for disaster relief in less than one day.

I'm keeping this thread open to mark our milestones!

:banana:

Last edited:

Cabria

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's fabulous Jenna!
emoteClap.gif

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Jenna, I just got your mail and so as not to clog up you inbox I'm replying here.

Just in case you didn't know, Stories of Strength was released yesterday, and we've already raised more than $550 for disaster relief.

That's so amazing, Jenna, I have tears in my eyes. IN ONE DAY! Oh my gosh!

I'm just sorry I can't afford to order mine yet, as I am completely broke at the moment. But I can't wait to place my order and hold my copy in my hands!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
aruna said:
That's so amazing, Jenna, I have tears in my eyes.

I'm so glad it's not just me. I'm feeling like an emotional mush today-- I had to keep pretending I just had stuff in my eyes when Anthony came into my office. ;)

I couldn't donate $500 when the hurricane hit. I suspect most of us couldn't. But now we can... and it's just beginning. This is going to be bigger than I ever imagined. I can feel it.

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
When I sit down to think about it, I get teary-eyed so I'm trying to stay busy... advertising... twisting friends' arms... that kind of thing

:Sun:

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I keep getting this misty stuff in my eyes too. Couldn't sleep last night either. It's mind bending to be part of this...all the people this is going to help-wow!! Jenna, in another thread, I mentioned I checked the Earthly Angels listing and your name is there
smile.gif

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I've got some early milestones to watch for:
  • Will we break into Lulu's top 100 by the end of the weekend?
  • And when will we pass Atlanta Nights, Lulu's #39?
  • And will Jenna ever find out who was driving that darn truck and make him buy ten copies?
These and other questions will be answered....

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Milestone: When we know what the UK price for the anthology is going to be and can start promoting it here!!!!!! Feeling all left out with nothing to do!

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
  • Will we break into Lulu's top 100 by the end of the weekend? Yes
  • And when will we pass Atlanta Nights, Lulu's #39? This weekend.
  • And will Jenna ever find out who was driving that darn truck and make him buy ten copies? Probably not.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Alphabet said:
Milestone: When we know what the UK price for the anthology is going to be and can start promoting it here!!!!!! Feeling all left out with nothing to do!

Aww! Soon! Soon!

This is from Lulu's instructions:

"If you are planning to purchase the Global Distribution Service for your book, Ingram requests that if you include your retail price on the book cover, it must exactly match your retail price that you set on Lulu. If it does not match, it will be removed. Likewise, we ask that you do not add a UK retail price to the cover, as this number will be converted by us and it most likely will not match what you come up with."

I'm in the live chat with Lulu right now and they're saying around 9 pounds, but that's not official yet. They said "Amazon.co.uk should set it at 9 pounds, but it depends on what exchange rate they use." I'll keep you posted.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Where do you go to find out how many books are sold?

I am going to buy one book for each of my extensive families and friends for Christmas. Every year i struggle with what to get everyone and thanks to AW, this year will be a breeze. not to mention one of the cheapest Christmas'es....Christmas'....Christmasi....er... Winter Holidays ever.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think we can see how many are sold, just what the ranking is. Jenna may be the only one to see the actual number. That's my guess.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got pledges for six so far from coworkers. Since my credit card is pretty near maxed, I'm going to have to collect money, make the payment, wait for the payment to take effect, then place the order. Unless I can talk someone else here (at my work) with room on their card into opening up an account at Lulu.

Either way, we're beginning to roll!

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
I'm waiting for payday myself, CC so I can add a little bit more to the SoS bank. Lookout this weekend, Lulu!!!

On another note, let the tears flow. I just heard from one person I contacted. He bought the ebook so he can read it at work... and he absolutely loves it so far and was happy to donate to such a great cause.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
"If you are planning to purchase the Global Distribution Service for your book, Ingram requests that if you include your retail price on the book cover, it must exactly match your retail price that you set on Lulu. If it does not match, it will be removed. Likewise, we ask that you do not add a UK retail price to the cover, as this number will be converted by us and it most likely will not match what you come up with."

If there is no UK price on the cover then it might make putting it on shelves quite a hard sell! Or maybe not, I don't know - perhaps not - if there are NO prices on the cover then I suppose it could have a sticky price label on the book or on the shelf the book is on.

I think £9 is way too low!!! it should be at least £11 IMHO

Look at it like this - £9 is £10 in the head, and £11 is £10 in the head - so if we do £11 instead of £9 the only difference is that £2 extra goes to charity.

And I think £12.99 sounds nice.

But then, I think the e-book should be sold for $10 just because we can

I suppose all this $5.08 ebook and £9 UK book (maybe) is all about having the same unit profit across the board just to make the sums tidy - but it seems a shame not to get as much money to the charity as possible by pricing each item to what it will take.

Anyway, just sharing my thoughts.

So I still don't know the UK price but I got an 'Awww' from Jenna!!! :banana:

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
I'm facing the same difficulties here in Canada. Unfortunately the price on the book says $15.95 but doesn't notate that it is American funds. At least one bookstore owner said that he'd prefer I buy them and he would then sell them but I don't know how to charge him. Do I order 20 books, wait 'til VISA tells me the total amount in Cdn and then divide by 20 and tell him that's how much they are? Ideally, it'd be good if all of we Cdns were to just stick with a price of $35 to cover shipping & handling and the exchange b/c, as I mentioned once to Charlie, if I sell it to Beatrice in Ottawa and her great Aunt Josephine buys it in Toronto for a cheaper price, Beatrice won't be too happy.

Unless told otherwise, I will do it as described, taking the VISA total and dividing by the quantity ordered.

kim

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kim....

Within a few weeks, if all goes according to plan, Stories of Strength will be in the databases bookstores use to order their inventory. Therefore stores will be able to order it just like they order any other book and the pricing will be set in Canadian funds according to the standard methodology. The store will just put a sticker over the US price printed on the cover.

While it might be tempting to buy some and resell them for what you paid plus shipping, you'll run into the same problem with disparate pricing when the book becomes widely available and is substantially less than what you had to charge for the copies you bought.

Therefore, I recommend you just keep asking bookstores to bring it in once it's available. If they don't want to stock it, ask them to let you put up posters and/or flyers in the bookstore instead to advertize it and entice customers to order it through the store.

ADDENDUM: As far as foreign pricing goes, what I've managed to figure out from Lulu is that we don't manually set whatever price we want in England, and then again in Australia, and then in Canada and on and on. Everything stems from the price we set in the US, and it all happens automatically. When Lulu sells through the retail chain instead of direct, a different pricing formula kicks in and each step on the way to the retail store is linked to this. Therefore, once the book works its way through this process and becomes available in Canada, or England, we'll see the price and that's what it will be across that country.

Last edited:

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
Good news...thanks, Charlie!

I'll hold off on offering my firstborn to the bookstores. Afterall, I kinda like him. :)

kim

Status
Not open for further replies.