Agent Who Has My MSS Has Left Agency

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
Only two weeks ago, I received a request to see my manuscript from an agent affiliated with a major agency; I sent it to her. Today, I checked the agency's website and noticed that her name was no longer on the site. I called the agency and found out she is no longer there, but they refused to give me forwarding information. I have had no contact with this agent since forwarding my manuscript.

There was another agent there who also wanted to review my manuscript (my query had been circulated), but because she contacted me first, I had to decline his request. I now would like to contact him and ask him if he's still interested.

I'd welcome any and all insights about this situation.

Scribelady

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If the requesting agent is not longer with the agency, then go for it. Just phrase the query appropriately. I'd use something like:

Dear agent,

You had requested to read my MS (title, genre), on (date). However, because another agent with your agency was reading it, I thought it a breach of protocol to place it with 2 agents there simultaneously. This agent has since left the agency, and I was wondering if you would still like to read it. For your convenience, I've included the original query and the first pages (or partial/full if that's what was requested) for your consideration.

(You can probably find out where the original agent landed by checking the "updated" feed at the bottom right of the QueryTracker main page. It shows which profiles the Admin has changed, so if the agent has confirmed a move, it'll likely be there.)

soopykun

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Cyia. At the same time, would you want to follow up with this particular agent if she's gone to another agency (unless she's left the biz altogether)? Or is the original agency that you like?

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like what I'd do. I had the same sort of situation once, except it was with a regular query and not a submission. The agency didn't mind that I sent another letter to a different agent after the first had left, though they rejected it in the end, anyway. :(

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds good to me.

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody! You're all so supportive and helpful! I will, indeed, contact the other agent. Cyia provided a great framework for what I plan to say.

Best,

Scribelady

JeanniGrace

Word Nerd
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! That sounds like a really confusing situation to be in, I'm glad it all worked out for you.