Registered
Reaction score
DELETE

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I don't read Chinese, but attributing the work to the original poet would seem to be in order here.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, okay. That helps to cite where the poem comes from. Thanks.

For future reference, it's something to keep in mind, even when sharing random quotes or poems or snippets from television shows or whatever: please always attribute to the original source whenever possible.

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
走进一间房
四面都是墙
抬头见老鼠
低头见蟑螂

Do you guys still remember this? I also like her poem about the need to drink water - classic :)

For those who can't read Chinese, a very quick translation:

walked into a room
and there were walls all around [me].
raised my head and saw a rat,
lowered my head and saw a cockroach.

It rhymes in Chinese, but other than that, I'm not quite sure wherein lies the genius to which the OP refers.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a Mainland series, I've never seen it, so I don't get the joke either. On the other hand, the images and the philosophy behind it are quite interesting.

Do you have the water one handy? If you do, could you post it please; it'd be nice to read it.

Thanks for posting the poem; it's calming to read Chinese poetry (I find I have no empathy for poems written in English, though I know there are a lot of good ones).

starscape

Busy with a number of networks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leikkanen.wordpress.com
I don't remember much about that TV show, but I guess the funny point is how blunt the poem is. And it has no artistic beauty as generally required by classical Chinese poets.

Oh I believe the English term is "doggerel"

If you want to read nice poems, may I suggest http://www3.zzu.edu.cn/qts/

a famous poem by Li Bai from GGK's UNDER HEAVEN
Before my bed the light is so bright
it looks like a layer of frost.
Lifting my head I gaze at the moon,
lying back down I think of home.

Unfortunately, it seems some readers think the poems are GGK's own creation

Last edited:

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
Comparing Li Bai's work to the poem in the OP is a little... misled.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
走进一间房
四面都是墙
抬头见老鼠
低头见蟑螂

Do you guys still remember this? I also like her poem about the need to drink water - classic :)

I like it!

I've never seen the series, but I know what you are referring to, it was very popular in its time.

It rhymes in Chinese, but other than that, I'm not quite sure wherein lies the genius to which the OP refers.

Comparing Li Bai's work to the poem in the OP is a little... misled.

Actually, the genius lies in that it is a parody of Li Bai's original. Kinda the same way the English still do parodies of Shakespeare's works. I've actually seen this poem parodied many times before, probably because its so popular.

Here's the original if anyone is interested (though I suspect most people may already know it by heart).

床前明月光
疑是地上霜
舉頭望明月
低頭思故鄉

Besides having the same number of words, it also has the same number of lines. It has a similar rhythm scheme and it even has similar (though more twisted, and comical) imagery. The original is about looking at the moon and being homesick. The parody is about being trapped in a room with vermin. See, parody. :D

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the insight, Little Ming. Though I have read and studied that particular poem by Li Bai, it didn't occur to me that the poem in the OP was a parody of it. Looking at it now, I can see it, namely because of the rhyme between 蟑螂 and 故鄉. The juxtaposition of 舉頭 and 低頭 in the original should've made me catch on sooner too... but it didn't.

Ah well. My apologies, starscape :)

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, you nailed it, Little Ming. That's exactly the poem I wanted to bring to mind, but couldn't remember. That's a favourite of mine from Li Bai, and the parody is fun -- peace of home vs. foreign cage. =^P

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hey Mods,

Can you please combine this thread with the one titled 中文?

Thank you so much.

From OP

Nope - I'm going to veto that request, as there's really two entire different discussions happening. Combining that into a single thread seems like it would actually confuse things, not enhance the conversation.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I remember reading a poem by Lao Tsu (I think) along the lines of dreaming oneself to be a butterfly while a butterfly is dreaming that it is you. I'd love to find it in the original Chinese, but I'm not sure how to look.

starscape

Busy with a number of networks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leikkanen.wordpress.com
昔 者 莊 周 夢 為 胡 蝶 , 栩 栩 然 胡 蝶 也 。 自 喻 適 志 與 ! 不 知 周 也 。 俄 然 覺 , 則 蘧 蘧 然 周 也 。 不 知 周 之 夢 為 胡 蝶 與 ? 胡 蝶 之 夢 為 周 與 ? 周 與 胡 蝶 , 則 必 有 分 矣 。 此 之 謂 物 化 。
全文名为 The title of the full prose is

莊 子( 內 篇 ﹒ 齊 物 論 第 二 )
梦蝶是最后一段

The butterfly dream is in the last paragraph.

Last edited: