PDA

View Full Version : Blogs: Comment Feature Or Not?

unthoughtknown
11-02-2005, 04:48 AM
Good morning all,

Do you prefer it when Blogs allow the reader to comment?

I think no, then I think yes, then I think no, then I...

-- can't make up my mind.

Curious to see what you all think...

maestrowork
11-02-2005, 04:49 AM
i love comments. so go to my blog and comment!!! I need comments to fulfill the void in my soul.

seriously. please.

unthoughtknown
11-02-2005, 04:52 AM
Yikes, Ray - that was quick, I hadn't even submitted the poll option at that point :)

scarletpeaches
11-02-2005, 04:52 AM
I would like to read comments if I had a blog. I'm not sure what I would put in it, though. Today I wrote 459 words. Today I wrote 345 words. Today I wrote 000 words and drank too much tea.

Ho hum. I'll pootle off to your blog, maestro, and comment. :) (Seeing as you invited it)!

unthoughtknown
11-02-2005, 04:59 AM
Mine are presently disabled... hmmh.

maestrowork
11-02-2005, 05:00 AM
I am INVITING all of you to drop by my blog and read it and make comments. ;)

scarletpeaches
11-02-2005, 05:02 AM
Bum, you need a password. I shall have to get myself a life outside my own imagination and create my own blog so I can comment on yours! :D (Or possibly make a blog of what's going on inside my head, a scary, scary proposition...)

Do you prefer Ray, Maestro, or "Oy, you!" ;)

Carole
11-02-2005, 06:10 AM
I am INVITING all of you to drop by my blog and read it and make comments. ;)
I've read your blog. You're too damn cute for me to be able to think of anything appropriate to say!

*Great Pic, Ray", I imagine, is not the type of comments you're after! ~laughing~

Vanessa
11-02-2005, 06:13 AM
Personally I like other people's opinions or comments. But it doesn't or wouldn't bother me if they didn't have any. I can go either way.

jdkiggins
11-02-2005, 06:45 AM
I love to log into my blog and find comments.

Check out my blog when you get a chance and make me smile by leaving a comment.

(Ray, I've been to yours. Have you been to mine? ;) :gone:

Carole
11-02-2005, 07:05 AM
I have a blog, but it's weird. Hubby has one, too. Ours are connected. He is the only one who posts comments on mine and i am the only one who posts comments on his. It's another weird little way we communicate when he is out of town.

emeraldcite
11-02-2005, 07:11 AM
drank too much tea

tea is life. Earl Grey brewed from leaf. Ahhh...quite so tasty.

I have a blog, but it's weird. Hubby has one, too. Ours are connected. He is the only one who posts comments on mine and i am the only one who posts comments on his. It's another weird little way we communicate when he is out of town.

My wife and I do this, but we're always in the same room. Guess we like to write...

I think comments are great. It shows you who is reading your blog and what you think. You can always block certain users (on some bloggers) or make them use the word recognition thingy (blogspot option) to avoid spammers.

maestrowork
11-02-2005, 07:21 AM
Bum, you need a password. I shall have to get myself a life outside my own imagination and create my own blog so I can comment on yours! :D (Or possibly make a blog of what's going on inside my head, a scary, scary proposition...)

Do you prefer Ray, Maestro, or "Oy, you!" ;)

Password? What password? Am I missing something? No, you can post anonymously -- you don't need a blogger id or password.

unthoughtknown
11-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is that the site I plan to use (actually, my existing site) to promote my works is also my journal too... I don't want 2 web sites.

Example approaching...

If you go to an author's web site, and see general comments from the public with the majority of them, say, having nothing to do with your writing, is that going to give the web site an unprofessional look? Or will it make you feel warm and fuzzy because of the public interaction?

Or am I just getting ahead of myself here?

maestrowork
11-02-2005, 07:25 AM
I love to log into my blog and find comments.

Check out my blog when you get a chance and make me smile by leaving a comment.

(Ray, I've been to yours. Have you been to mine? ;) :gone:

I wasn't aware that you had a blog (goes to show how effective our "sigs" are... LOL)

I can't believe you tagged me! Oy!

ETA: Oh, Dawno, Jen and Julia, you're all tagged now!

Richard White
11-02-2005, 08:23 AM
I tend to use my blog as my writing journal. Sometimes, I talk about stuff, but it primarily exists to talk about writing projects, announce when I've sold something or pontificate on my ideas about writing.

Plus, I'm using the blog as the "What's New" for my web site. I post the basic information on my main page, but I use the blog for "up to the date" info on convention appearances, upcoming releases, etc.

Then again, there have been the occasional meme or rant on there, just for the sake of not being completely bored.

And, yes, I love commenting on other people's blogs (when I have something to add) and love getting comments also.

emeraldcite
11-02-2005, 08:29 AM
If you go to an author's web site, and see general comments from the public with the majority of them, say, having nothing to do with your writing, is that going to give the web site an unprofessional look? Or will it make you feel warm and fuzzy because of the public interaction?

Acutally, I love author blogs. Most of the time, you have to click for the comments (for example if you use blogspot).

I bought JA Konrath's book Whisky Sour based on his blog. I often browse a writer's blog and sometimes comment (i've read yours ray, but haven't commented yet...)

Konrath's book isn't necessarily the genre I read, but I really like his sense of humor. I have a few lol moments in reality, which is rare.

I think they can really connect an author with his/her readers. Often, the conversations get interesting as well with the author jumping in to comment.

maestrowork
11-02-2005, 09:34 AM
My blog is writing/publishing related, so I don't want to be too chatty. I post some of my thoughts on writing, what I've learned about publishing, etc. But once in while I do post something I find funny, interesting, or totally irrelevant. I don't want my blog to be too stuffy either. The thing is, I see people comment on others' blogs a lot but not many people post comments on mine... makes me wonder (am I gree with envy? you bet). Perhaps my posts simply don't incite discussions... maybe I should write something controversial... :)

Dawno
11-02-2005, 09:51 AM
My blog is all chatty and irrelevant and I'm ok with that. :) I have comments enabled but I do use the verify feature to stop spamming. I'd love to see more AW'ers come comment. I also have been collecting AW blogs for my blogroll so if I've missed yours tell me and up it goes.

Comments are the conversation of the community you build with your blog. I think they're vital. The problem I have is remembering where I've commented and getting back to see if the blogger has responded. Gotta work on that.

Lyra Jean
11-02-2005, 10:06 AM
Oh, I'll visit your blog if you visit mine. I have a link in my signature. I live for comments.

maestrowork
11-02-2005, 11:01 AM
OK, another plug: subscribe to my blogs and win something fun!

I, the Author: http://www.feedblitz.com/f/?Sub=6985

Ray's Rave Reviews: http://www.feedblitz.com/f/?Sub=6987

Road To Publications: http://www.feedblitz.com/f/?Sub=6991

Richard
11-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Blogs with comments are usually a good idea - but, and this is important, make sure they're as safe from comment spammers as possible, otherwise you'll be looking at a lot of work.

JennaGlatzer
11-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Neat timing! I was about to write to you to ask if we could turn on comments on the Stories of Strength site.

Yup, I like comments.

unthoughtknown
11-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks Jenna! Thanks everyone for your comments...

And is there a general preference to keep the web site separate from the blog? At the moment, I have them combined into one site. I'm not sure if I should...

I have gone to a few author web sites (though I know I am not at that level YET) and they seem to keep their blogs separate...

unthoughtknown
11-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Neat timing! I was about to write to you to ask if we could turn on comments on the Stories of Strength site.

Personally, it's a good idea :)

Richard
11-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Neat timing! I was about to write to you to ask if we could turn on comments on the Stories of Strength site

Sure, piece of cake. I'll have them live by close of play. I'm also going to add an archive page for posts, so you'll be able to post as much as you want without it swelling to Brobdingangian size.

And is there a general preference to keep the web site separate from the blog? At the moment, I have them combined into one site. I'm not sure if I should...

There are advantages and disadvantages. Obvious advantage: it keeps everything under one roof, making it easier to manage with your CMS (WordPress in your case). Key disadvantage, everything you - or your comment posters - say can suddenly become part of your professional face, especially when search engines and the like start combing through your pages. This is why my Journal page isn't the first thing you see, even though it's the most regularly updated part of my site, and I'm considering sticking it in its own little place entirely.

aadams73
11-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Yes! I love reading comments.

unthoughtknown
11-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Key disadvantage, everything you - or your comment posters - say can suddenly become part of your professional face, especially when search engines and the like start combing through your pages. This is why my Journal page isn't the first thing you see, even though it's the most regularly updated part of my site, and I'm considering sticking it in its own little place entirely.

And that is exactly what had me concerned...

I'm going to check out your site now :)

Optimus
11-02-2005, 02:29 PM
My comment would read:

"Hey, Jennifer. When're you gonna hook me up with your sister?"

;)

unthoughtknown
11-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Hehe.
Um... :Shrug:

Aren't ya just glad we can rely on Mr Emoticon when we are lost for words...

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse
11-02-2005, 03:46 PM
i think it depends on the gimmic of the blog.

there is a rather good one that i used to read regularly which is a rather emotional story of a young woman, 20 I think, torn between two men, working shifts in a crummy job, getting slapped on her bottom by other men etc.
(lotlush.blogspot.com)

she has no comments. this works very well for her blog because the whole gimmick is that its a personal and very private journal which no one is meant to read.

some blogs don't have such a gimmic and thus like comments.

i used to write one of those chose-your-own adventures and hand them out around school. it was the history of man and at the end of every chapter people could make a choice as to what would happen (if you want Ghandi to....go to.....)

and according to what pages people selected, the story would change accordingly
it was like a comment-vote system.

in short, i think it depends entirely on what kind of blog you write.

i'll redo that idea one day soon it proved popular after nano, the degree, the comedy, death, future wife...ugh.......

TemlynWriting
11-02-2005, 10:28 PM
I wasn't aware that you had a blog (goes to show how effective our "sigs" are... LOL)

I can't believe you tagged me! Oy!

ETA: Oh, Dawno, Jen and Julia, you're all tagged now!I love you Ray. :kiss:

scarletpeaches
11-02-2005, 11:06 PM
I might just switch on my MSN space and blog from there. But I've had a long day and am behind on my word quota for today. I'll do it tomorrow...

and tomorrow and tomorrow, creeps in this petty blog from day to day.

First person to name that play gets a special mention in my first blog entry when I get around to it. :D

TemlynWriting
11-02-2005, 11:11 PM
I might just switch on my MSN space and blog from there. But I've had a long day and am behind on my word quota for today. I'll do it tomorrow...

and tomorrow and tomorrow, creeps in this petty blog from day to day.

First person to name that play gets a special mention in my first blog entry when I get around to it. :D
The Scottish Play (M-a-c-b-e-t-h), my favorite Shakespeare play. :)

scarletpeaches
11-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Right, you get first mention in my as-yet unwritten blog. :D Would you like your AW or your real name mentioned, or shall I just buy you a Ferrari from my first royalties cheque?

scarletpeaches
11-03-2005, 12:00 AM
*Shameless bump* My blog is no longer unwritten! :D:D:D:D

TemlynWriting
11-03-2005, 12:06 AM
Right, you get first mention in my as-yet unwritten blog. :D Would you like your AW or your real name mentioned, or shall I just buy you a Ferrari from my first royalties cheque?
Oooh...the Ferrari sounds nice! ;) About the name, Julia Temlyn works. Or whichever you'd prefer. :) I really don't even need a mention--I just love that play and couldn't help but answer the trivia.

Just saw your blog entry--you're too kind! And I've edited my other post with The Scottish Play. ;)

scarletpeaches
11-03-2005, 12:12 AM
All comments welcome of course. :D

Better stop this before I turn into a blogwhore. ;)

sassandgroove
11-03-2005, 02:53 AM
You can always block certain users (on some bloggers) or make them use the word recognition thingy (blogspot option) to avoid spammers.
HOW?!?!?!?

I got spammed on my blogspot blog the other day. I was so excited at getting a comment to find it was someone saying "oh, hey great little site, btw check out mine and buy my crap!" Ummmmm...NO. SO I had to delete my post to which he had tagged the comment and repost it. I got two w/in minutes of each other. They didn't appear to be the same person, but you never know...so now to comment on my blog it has to be complicated because of this numnut, I changed the settings so only members can comment, of which I have none, and there is a link to email me on the side bar. That's always been there, but now it's the only way, unless I make you a member, which I don't know how to do, though I could figure it out.

I liked the idea before. I usually only comment on my best friend's blog, but she emailed me in excitement once because someone commented on my comment on her blog. It was thrilling. (i'm easy) Alas, no more, if I'm gonna get Spammed. Ugh.

can you tell this hacked me off?

unthoughtknown
11-03-2005, 03:00 AM
HOW?!?!?!?

I got spammed on my blogspot blog the other day. I was so excited at getting a comment to find it was someone saying "oh, hey great little site, btw check out mine and buy my crap!" Ummmmm...NO. SO I had to delete my post to which he had tagged the comment and repost it. I got two w/in minutes of each other. They didn't appear to be the same person, but you never know...so now to comment on my blog it has to be complicated because of this numnut, I changed the settings so only members can comment, of which I have none, and there is a link to email me on the side bar. That's always been there, but now it's the only way, unless I make you a member, which I don't know how to do, though I could figure it out.

Go into your blogspot settings and under the 'comments' tab, turn on word verification for comments. Anytime someone wants to comment, they have to key in the matching (random) lettering before the comment can be submitted successfully. This will minimise comment spam.

scarletpeaches
11-03-2005, 03:02 AM
Ah. Now I understand that feature. Good idea. However, I have no friends, so even spamments are welcome. ;)

eldragon
11-03-2005, 05:13 AM
http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=18579601 (http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=18579601)

I have some ramblings, too.

I'll revisit some blogs tomorrow - love reading them.

Ray and Jill, I already read some of yours awhile back.

I totally agree with Jills perspective on politics.

unthoughtknown
11-04-2005, 09:12 AM
I gave in! I've enabled comments...

MadScientistMatt
11-04-2005, 05:32 PM
I like to get comments on my blog, unless they are spam. I started getting a bit of spam and had to turn on word verification for my blogs. My blog hasn't attracted that many comments - interestingly, Jenna was the first to leave a comment there.

sassandgroove
11-05-2005, 12:18 AM
How do THEY (the infamous they) send spam comments? How does word verification prevent them? forgive my ignorance.

sthrnwriter
11-05-2005, 03:58 AM
I have two blogs. One is paranormal related and the other is a writing/personal blog (which I've kind of neglected until recently). I really don't care either way. I have the comment feature enabled on mine so readers can post their thoughts at their own risk. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I have to admit I do like getting some every now and then. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad.

By the way, did anyone notice you can moderate your comments now on blogger? Is that a new feature or have I just never noticed it before?

Richard
11-05-2005, 04:01 AM
How do THEY (the infamous they) send spam comments? How does word verification prevent them? forgive my ignorance.

It's a script, basically, that looks for the part of your blog that receives comments and bombards it with fake ones. The word-verification - a CAPTCHA - is a test to make sure it's a real person rather than one of these scripts posting something, by making them prove they can do something that a computer theoretically can't (in this case, read the distorted, wacky text).

scarletpeaches
11-05-2005, 04:05 AM
Isn't my blog brilliant? :D

sassandgroove
11-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Thanks Richard. Now I feel confident that turning on word recognition is actually useful. What I couldn't figure was how anyone but a human could comment. NOw I know.

Sthrnwriter, I will hafta look into that moderator thing... :)

sassandgroove
11-08-2005, 12:29 AM
Isn't my blog brilliant? :D

YES!!!! I even posted a comment. ;)

scarletpeaches
11-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Who needs to be modest when you can blogwhore?! :D

MacAllister
11-08-2005, 12:41 AM
I love the commenters on my blog--I honestly think the conversational aspect is the most interesting part of blogging.

Apart from the "Look at ME, look at ME" thing, of course...

Dawno
11-08-2005, 01:19 AM
Apart from the "Look at ME, look at ME" thing, of course...

gee, nobody does that on your comments while you're gone and completely hijacks things....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/Ebil_Librarian/devil.gif

MacAllister
11-08-2005, 01:21 AM
My commenters are civilized, courteous, and well-behaved to a fault, Dawno. *sigh* I'm always trying to think of ways to draw them out of their shells.

Who knew all I hadda do was leave town for a week?! :D

Dawno
11-08-2005, 01:29 AM
My commenters are civilized, courteous, and well-behaved to a fault,You *do* read my comments, right? Someone must be posting with my name....

In all honesty, without comments there is no conversation. And because of the conversations on Mac's blog I've made new friends in cyberspace who look at my blog and (sometimes) post comments. I try to make the rounds and post comments as well.
I'm having a couple of fascinating conversations as a result. A few months ago I was seriously worried that I was losing my ability to think critically and express serious opinions about important topics. I was very, very rusty having not used that faculty in quite some time. It was due to Mac's thought provoking posts and the back and forth that happened in the comments that I realized that I still had some ability to do this, it just needed to be exercised. I can't tell you how grateful I was, and still am.

Comments rock. Use 'em.

unthoughtknown
11-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Thanks Dawno.

Dawno
11-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Bumping this to suggest that posters on this topic should go visit the new blogging forum! (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90) And thank Jenna for setting it up, too.

maestrowork
11-13-2005, 10:26 PM
I think without comments I feel like I'm talking to myself. Sure, I can track the blog traffic and see how many people read the darn thing, but still, I could feel like they just glance at it and not interested. I think "comments" tell me that people are actually interested in what they read and what I have to say, enough to drop me a line. It doesn't have to be a discussion, but something like "I like what you said here" or "I don't really agree, but cest la vie" would be good. And if I could make a few more friends that way it'd be nice.

MacAllister
11-14-2005, 03:59 AM
I've just moved this to the shiny, new blogging room. :) Hopefully, if there was anyone in here, they won't suffer too badly from sudden translocation syndrome.

:D

Dawno
11-14-2005, 04:20 AM
Yay! Thanks, Mac.

MarkPettus
11-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Comments tie me to a blog. If I cannot interact with the blogger, I usually don't return.

I love the people who comment on my blog. Unless I misspell someone's name, or piss off half the subscribers to the newspaper, I seldom know for sure anyone even reads my work. With the blog, I know when I touch people with my words, and the volume of their comments is a good way to guage which posts find that certain zeitgeist that starts people talking about my writing.

maestrowork
11-21-2005, 09:26 PM
I didn't respond to comments before, but now I do. Hopefully people will return more frequently and we can have some conversation going on.

Marilyn Braun
11-22-2005, 01:10 AM
I love getting comments, especially positive, encouraging comments! At one point I had a lot of spam (I think many people did), so I turned on the word verification and I haven't had any since.

I've only turned off comments on one of my posts, because it requests the reader to go to my website and they weren't - but that's the only one.

I voted that I don't mind either way, because I like to receive comments, at least it tells me people are reading my blog articles, and I've had only 1 or 2 bad comments - one of them callling me an 'evil cow'. I've had a couple of people unwisely challenge me on the research in my articles, but yes, otherwise a good experience.

I've heard that some will leave comments in order to plug their own websites - I don't know whether it's true or not. If people do it specifically for that reason then I tend to feel dirty and used...

A. Hamilton
11-22-2005, 03:53 AM
The only time I've blogged was in a private community where there were also message boards for chit-chat and opinions. I did NOT like the comments feature on those blogs because I felt most who responded were just trying to fluff me with niceties. It caused me to hold back in my blog some and eventually to quit blogging there altogether. I guess for me, blogging was more of a personal journal which I was allowing others to read..a peek into my head so to speak. I really didn't want anyone's opionion on my thoughts for the day..selfish huh? If I wanted a topic discussed, I would post it in the appropriate forumn on the boards.
I can see however where it may be helpful to allow comments on more of a professional blog, although I can't imagine myself actually posting one.

Richard
11-22-2005, 08:25 PM
I've heard that some will leave comments in order to plug their own websites - I don't know whether it's true or not. If people do it specifically for that reason then I tend to feel dirty and used...

Sure they will. But the ones you want to watch out for are the ones that seem to say something like 'Wow! Great post! Very informative!', but in fact are hiding a big lump of link-spam behind the scenes.

Dawno
11-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Richard, what's the purpose of those kinds of comments and the sites they link to? Do they make money by aggregating links or something, getting hits and increasing ad revenue? It has me confused...Perhaps you'd post a new thread and discuss?

Richard
11-22-2005, 11:10 PM
Not a lot of point setting up a new thread, it's pretty simple. Posts like that are primarily geared towards building rank for junk pages on search engines - Google in particular.

Here's the official explanation (http://www.google.com/technology/) - here's what it means.

Part of the way Google determines how important a page is via PageRank. In brief, this tries to work out how important a page is, and then use that information to determine how best to handlethe information on it. One of the most basic methods is to check for how many sites link to it - the more linked to, clearly the most usable and informative. In theory. For each link that it finds, it adds a 'vote' for the page - weighted according to the source, and a lot of other information.

As such, spam one site and the effect is negligible, but hit hundreds and thousands of them (which is perfectly doable - it's a scripted attack, not manual) and suddenly some obscure spam page is made to look a million times more popular than it is.

Obviously, that's a simplified version of what's going on. Many scripts are more subtle, including posting comments in your older comment threads so that you don't necessarily know that they're there, or making posts that look at first glance to be an actual post, and hiding the shonky URL in the webpage field. WordPress used to (note - USED to, it's long-since been fixed) have a hideous glitch in which the scripts could insert themselves into the database for posts you hadn't written yet. When you got to that number - BANG! - your new post appeared along with a massive string of pre-inserted comment spam.

These people are slime. Resource-hijacking, lying, cheating, slime.

There are tools to stop such things working, such as adding a 'nofollow' tag to your links, but that only gives you personally a warm feeling - it doesn't stop the scripts hitting you in the first place. The sites themselves can be for anything, usually either ad-revenue or some kind of sales pitch, or even just links to other sites - all the votes for the first site making it look as if Junk Site One is really influential, and thus making its vote for Junk Site Two count for much more. There are plenty of permutations and new ways to dodge the search engines being produced all the time.

There's another common trick too, which is 'referrer' spam. You'll see these in your stats logs, and there are two basic types. The first is as above - filling your logs with fake links on the off-chance that you make them public anywhere. This is why I use Javascript based visitor tracking - http://www.haveamint.com - on my pages, including Stories of Strength. it only counts you as a hit if your browser has actually visited the page, not if you've just dinged my server with a hit.

The second major referral spam method targets you as the site-owner, hoping that your curiosity will make you click to see what the link is, and serving up either a nonsense page, or some kind of sales blurb (often a tool to pull exactly the same crap on other people). Quite a few companies and bloggers have been known to do this, and every time, I pray for their imminent demise.

Richard
11-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Additional: There are also tricks that make a spam post look empty, for instance, wrapping in some CSS along with the entry display:none. In this case, it can look for all the world like a regular 'Wow! That was informative!' post of the kind we all like, while the search engine spiders and other tools that check the source of the page rather than looking at it with eyes get the spam links.

This is one of many good reasons why most modern blogging tools restrict comments to things like <strong> and <em> instead of allowing full HTML.

ProsperitySue
11-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Blogs with comments are usually a good idea - but, and this is important, make sure they're as safe from comment spammers as possible, otherwise you'll be looking at a lot of work.

I used the verify feature for my blog on blogspot.com and it stopped spam. They can still comment anonymously, but they have to type in some info to verify. I just had one really strange comment after that and I deleted it (not spam, just strange).

Richard
11-26-2005, 12:32 AM
Sadly, it's not necessarily so easy - a lot of captchas can be beaten, they just aren't at the moment due to the amount of processing power it takes.

Anatole Ghio
11-29-2005, 01:41 PM
I live for comments and I actually unsubscribe people from my blog if they don't comment on my writing. Having a reader who doesn't give me feedback is like having a canteen in the desert without any water inside.

And you can quote me on that!

aka eraser
11-29-2005, 08:06 PM
I don't have a subscribe feature on my blog but I certainly do on my weekly column. Jeepers, I'd never unsubscribe someone just because they didn't comment. People are busy. They have their own lives to live and just taking the time to read us is a favour. Expecting a comment as well, and then unsubscribing those who don't, seems kind of harsh to me.

Anatole Ghio
11-29-2005, 11:45 PM
My view is that everything on my blog is written with the goal of one day being collected and published, where someone will have to pay to read it.

I don't care if people come to my site to read my stuff, that's why it's up there to begin with, but if they are going to have my writing delivered to them in the way of the subscription feature, then I expect they will occasionally comment back in return for the work I do. Since I have put effort into the writing, then a subscriber should put in the effort by commenting back. If they care to read but not comment, then as just a casual visitor to my blog they are putting the effort in by coming to my site to read the writing.

Seems fair enough to me.

Richard
11-29-2005, 11:49 PM
*blink* You don't say that anywhere that I can see. If you want reciprocation/compensation, it's normally a good idea to...uh...ask.

Anatole Ghio
11-29-2005, 11:54 PM
It is there. I put the house rules on the left side of the blog. It's under "Phantom subscribers will be unsubscribed". I also occasionally post messages to that effect, and if I really want to retain a subscriber, I let them personally know before unsubscribing them.

Basically, my blog is not a democracy, but a benevolent dictatorship... so it's my way or the highway! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteSoapbox.gif

Richard
11-30-2005, 12:31 AM
If you say so, although the phrase 'Phantom subscribers' wouldn't mean anything at all to me unless you'd just explained it in this thread, and I don't see anything to explain it after scrolling back to July. Maybe it's a Xanga expression. Still seems a bizarre as heck rule to me, to turn away readers who actively want to read your content. Still, as you say, your site, your rules.

Anatole Ghio
11-30-2005, 01:39 AM
It's there, if you really did scroll back to July. The August 24th entry on Subscribers had a whole thread on it, where I ellicited a reply from my readership on this very subject.

For me, there is very little point in having readers if I am not getting any feedback on the writing. It's the same as having no readers at all, really, since I am not doing the blog to get my material out, but to improve my writing.

A blog, to me, seems to be a very ineffective way of distributing one's writing, since it takes so much work to build up a readership, and it tends to be so small compared to other means of distributing one's writing.

Given all that, there is very little point in keeping a subscriber if they aren't commenting back. If they really want to still read the blog, all they have to do is bookmark the page and then return whenever they are so inclined... and people do, I see them on my site tracker.

Quite simple, really.

gina
12-15-2005, 11:22 AM
I've always had comments enabled on my blog. Sometimes you get just as many bad comments with the good. not only do you have spammers, which has cut down on blogger thankfully, but you have people that comment just to be mean. Tonight I received one such comment from someone telling me I should quit writing because in my post about quitting writing I typed quite instead of quit once. So someone commented me anon telling me I should quit writing because of it. not the first time I've received such a communication. One person actually emailed me once. I love comments though. Just the bad ones make me :(.

Mike Coombes
12-15-2005, 04:08 PM
The most fundamental, and mercenary, reason for allowing comments in your forum is exposure. If your blog is RSS enabled, every time something is added to your blog, it pings, more links are created, google gets more fodder and there's a slightly higher chance that a random visitor will end up on your site and stay long enough to read and enjoy.

Richard
12-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Not usually. Most blogging engines only send out a ping when the site gets a new post, or sometimes when content is edited - depending on which it is - the addition of a comment doesn't change the content of the average feed, so it doesn't bother.

Mike Coombes
12-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Wordpress does.

And regardless, comments get spidered by google just like the posts.

sthrnwriter
12-16-2005, 04:07 AM
I have a question. I have a tag-board on my blogs. I was wondering do any of you who also have tag-boards find that people leave more messages on them instead of individual posts?

astonwest
12-16-2005, 04:17 AM
Not having comments enabled may be useful in preventing others from seeing how many people AREN'T visiting your blog...
:ROFL:

Dawno
12-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Aston, a lot of folks read and move on - either they don't have anything to contribute or they're waiting to get a better feel for the conversation. I find that if I specifically bring up something for people to talk about I get more comments. I know about 19 to 25 people a day look at my posts - but the number of commenters is usually 3 or 4 on a good day.

Having comments disabled on a blog makes me a bit sad. I want to develop a relationship with the blogger I've discovered and have enjoyed reading. But that's just me.

sthrnwriter
02-09-2006, 02:31 PM
The problem I have is remembering where I've commented and getting back to see if the blogger has responded. Gotta work on that.

I thought I would go ahead and post this while it's fresh on my mind. Tonight I was surfing through some blogs, since I didn't have anything else to do, and I found one about online (http://pchere.blogspot.com/) tips and there was a post about this new blog service called CoComment (http://www.cocomment.com). It helps you to track the comments you leave on blogs and you can share them on your blog. Unfortunately, right now, it's still in beta phase and you can't register without an invitation code. I just wanted to make everyone aware of it.

Dawno
02-09-2006, 07:15 PM
oooh - Thanks! I sent them a request to notify me when the service is available and I'll give it a trial run.

Dawno
02-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Update: I got an email from coComment with an invitation code. I'll be checking it out tonite when I get home from work. :)