Blogs: Comment Feature Or Not?

Blogs: should the reader be able to comment?

• Yes

Votes: 41 80.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Don't Mind Either Way

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters

unthoughtknown

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
Good morning all,

Do you prefer it when Blogs allow the reader to comment?

I think no, then I think yes, then I think no, then I...

-- can't make up my mind.

Curious to see what you all think...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
i love comments. so go to my blog and comment!!! I need comments to fulfill the void in my soul.

seriously. please.

Reaction score
I would like to read comments if I had a blog. I'm not sure what I would put in it, though. Today I wrote 459 words. Today I wrote 345 words. Today I wrote 000 words and drank too much tea.

Ho hum. I'll pootle off to your blog, maestro, and comment. :) (Seeing as you invited it)!

Reaction score
Bum, you need a password. I shall have to get myself a life outside my own imagination and create my own blog so I can comment on yours! :D (Or possibly make a blog of what's going on inside my head, a scary, scary proposition...)

Do you prefer Ray, Maestro, or "Oy, you!" ;)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
I am INVITING all of you to drop by my blog and read it and make comments. ;)
I've read your blog. You're too damn cute for me to be able to think of anything appropriate to say!

*Great Pic, Ray", I imagine, is not the type of comments you're after! ~laughing~

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Personally I like other people's opinions or comments. But it doesn't or wouldn't bother me if they didn't have any. I can go either way.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I have a blog, but it's weird. Hubby has one, too. Ours are connected. He is the only one who posts comments on mine and i am the only one who posts comments on his. It's another weird little way we communicate when he is out of town.

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
scarletpeaches said:
drank too much tea

tea is life. Earl Grey brewed from leaf. Ahhh...quite so tasty.

carole said:
I have a blog, but it's weird. Hubby has one, too. Ours are connected. He is the only one who posts comments on mine and i am the only one who posts comments on his. It's another weird little way we communicate when he is out of town.

My wife and I do this, but we're always in the same room. Guess we like to write...

I think comments are great. It shows you who is reading your blog and what you think. You can always block certain users (on some bloggers) or make them use the word recognition thingy (blogspot option) to avoid spammers.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
scarletpeaches said:
Bum, you need a password. I shall have to get myself a life outside my own imagination and create my own blog so I can comment on yours! :D (Or possibly make a blog of what's going on inside my head, a scary, scary proposition...)

Do you prefer Ray, Maestro, or "Oy, you!" ;)

Password? What password? Am I missing something? No, you can post anonymously -- you don't need a blogger id or password.

unthoughtknown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
Another thing to keep in mind is that the site I plan to use (actually, my existing site) to promote my works is also my journal too... I don't want 2 web sites.

Example approaching...

If you go to an author's web site, and see general comments from the public with the majority of them, say, having nothing to do with your writing, is that going to give the web site an unprofessional look? Or will it make you feel warm and fuzzy because of the public interaction?

Or am I just getting ahead of myself here?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
jdkiggins said:
I love to log into my blog and find comments.

Check out my blog when you get a chance and make me smile by leaving a comment.

(Ray, I've been to yours. Have you been to mine? ;) :gone:

I wasn't aware that you had a blog (goes to show how effective our "sigs" are... LOL)

I can't believe you tagged me! Oy!

ETA: Oh, Dawno, Jen and Julia, you're all tagged now!

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I tend to use my blog as my writing journal. Sometimes, I talk about stuff, but it primarily exists to talk about writing projects, announce when I've sold something or pontificate on my ideas about writing.

Plus, I'm using the blog as the "What's New" for my web site. I post the basic information on my main page, but I use the blog for "up to the date" info on convention appearances, upcoming releases, etc.

Then again, there have been the occasional meme or rant on there, just for the sake of not being completely bored.

And, yes, I love commenting on other people's blogs (when I have something to add) and love getting comments also.

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
If you go to an author's web site, and see general comments from the public with the majority of them, say, having nothing to do with your writing, is that going to give the web site an unprofessional look? Or will it make you feel warm and fuzzy because of the public interaction?

Acutally, I love author blogs. Most of the time, you have to click for the comments (for example if you use blogspot).

I bought JA Konrath's book Whisky Sour based on his blog. I often browse a writer's blog and sometimes comment (i've read yours ray, but haven't commented yet...)

Konrath's book isn't necessarily the genre I read, but I really like his sense of humor. I have a few lol moments in reality, which is rare.

I think they can really connect an author with his/her readers. Often, the conversations get interesting as well with the author jumping in to comment.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My blog is writing/publishing related, so I don't want to be too chatty. I post some of my thoughts on writing, what I've learned about publishing, etc. But once in while I do post something I find funny, interesting, or totally irrelevant. I don't want my blog to be too stuffy either. The thing is, I see people comment on others' blogs a lot but not many people post comments on mine... makes me wonder (am I gree with envy? you bet). Perhaps my posts simply don't incite discussions... maybe I should write something controversial... :)

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
My blog is all chatty and irrelevant and I'm ok with that. :) I have comments enabled but I do use the verify feature to stop spamming. I'd love to see more AW'ers come comment. I also have been collecting AW blogs for my blogroll so if I've missed yours tell me and up it goes.

Comments are the conversation of the community you build with your blog. I think they're vital. The problem I have is remembering where I've commented and getting back to see if the blogger has responded. Gotta work on that.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Blogs with comments are usually a good idea - but, and this is important, make sure they're as safe from comment spammers as possible, otherwise you'll be looking at a lot of work.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Neat timing! I was about to write to you to ask if we could turn on comments on the Stories of Strength site.

Yup, I like comments.

unthoughtknown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
Thanks Jenna! Thanks everyone for your comments...

And is there a general preference to keep the web site separate from the blog? At the moment, I have them combined into one site. I'm not sure if I should...

I have gone to a few author web sites (though I know I am not at that level YET) and they seem to keep their blogs separate...