PDA

View Full Version : What is the correct format for email query / sample pages?

lostwanderer5
06-03-2011, 01:02 AM
For agents who ask to send initial query letter + sample pages in the body of an email, is it supposed to be double spaced or singled spaced?

I'm more confused about sample pages, as if it's single space it means more material.

Thanks.

Becca C.
06-03-2011, 01:10 AM
Your manuscript should be double-spaced, so copy-and-paste your first manuscript pages into the email. I double-space them in the email too, because I hate how scrunched-up and hard to read it gets.

hillaryjacques
06-03-2011, 01:19 AM
My understanding is that it's 5 pages double-spaced, or the equivalent if the formatting changes.

lostwanderer5
06-03-2011, 01:20 AM
Thanks Becca. :-)

I knew about the manuscript format, but because no one specified about the email query and sample pages, just didn't want to make a silly mistake.

lostwanderer5
06-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Thanks Hillary

JSSchley
06-03-2011, 01:34 AM
I send the text from 5 double spaced pages as single spaced, left-aligned text, with one line space between paragraphs. I found this holds up in text-only format, so I feel pretty confident that it will show up well on whatever the agent reads.

So my emails look like this:

Dear Agent

[query]

[Closing and contact info]
---
TITLE
TOTAL WORDCOUNT

Sample para 1 (single-spaced)

Sample para 2

Sample para 3

etc.

ooh. I recommend double-checking in a text-only editor. It's the surest way to make sure that your email doesn't do anything funky when it sends the letter. I also am paranoid and send the whole kit and caboodle to one of my other e-mail addresses to check how it turns out.

lostwanderer5
06-03-2011, 07:28 PM
I send the text from 5 double spaced pages as single spaced, left-aligned text, with one line space between paragraphs. I found this holds up in text-only format, so I feel pretty confident that it will show up well on whatever the agent reads.

So my emails look like this:

etc.

ooh. I recommend double-checking in a text-only editor. It's the surest way to make sure that your email doesn't do anything funky when it sends the letter. I also am paranoid and send the whole kit and caboodle to one of my other e-mail addresses to check how it turns out.

Oh yeah, this is an excellent idea. Must do this.