PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what I'm being asked for?!

Doobie Cantrip
06-02-2011, 08:57 PM
So, I seem to have got a positive-ish response today but, am not entirely sure how to proceed

"I really like the idea of this. The writing is good, but if I had a criticism it'd be that it feels like it's written by an adult. I think it needs a little quirkiness in the voice. It may be an idea to make her voice at the same time archaic and edgy - as she tries to get to grips with how teens talk and behave as she leaps through the years. Give me a call on the mobile number below. I would like to see a page outline and the full novel."

I called the mobile number and, caught off guard, left a message. Obviously I'll wait a few days and see if I get a call back but, what I'm mostly trying to figure out is whether I'm gonna be sending my current full novel, as is or, do you think he's not wanting to see it unless I make the suggested changes?
Help!!

rsullivan9597
06-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Sounds like they would like to see you take their suggestions and show them some pages with the changes and based on these changes they may have further interest.

Old Hack
06-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I think you're being asked to send in an outline and the full ms. Right now. I could be missing something, of course: but I don't think you've been asked to make those changes first.

YAwriter72
06-02-2011, 10:19 PM
It sounds like he is making a suggestion for you to keep in mind, and that he wants the full and outline right now. Send it! :)

PinkAmy
06-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Yep sounds like he wants the full and an outline, and for you to think about the suggestion he's made. If you've thought about it already, you can add your feedback in your letter with the full. (I usually send the full with a copy of the query and reply just incase they forget who I am).

Susan Littlefield
06-03-2011, 12:04 AM
So, I seem to have got a positive-ish response today but, am not entirely sure how to proceed

"I really like the idea of this. The writing is good, but if I had a criticism it'd be that it feels like it's written by an adult. I think it needs a little quirkiness in the voice. It may be an idea to make her voice at the same time archaic and edgy - as she tries to get to grips with how teens talk and behave as she leaps through the years. Give me a call on the mobile number below. I would like to see a page outline and the full novel."

I called the mobile number and, caught off guard, left a message. Obviously I'll wait a few days and see if I get a call back but, what I'm mostly trying to figure out is whether I'm gonna be sending my current full novel, as is or, do you think he's not wanting to see it unless I make the suggested changes?
Help!!

Congratulations!

It sounds like he wants to speak with you first. You've left a voice mail message. Be patient.

If he doesn't call within a few days, I might send the outline and manuscript with a letter referencing you left a voice mail as instructed.

Procrastinista
06-03-2011, 08:37 AM
I would definitely clarify, either by phone or e-mail, before sending anything. I had a similar conversation with an agent and I thought he wanted my full immediately, but actually, he wanted me to incorporate his suggested changes before I sent him my full. I was so bummed. He went ahead and read the full as is, but rejected.

If you feel uncomfortable leaving another voicemail, just shoot him an e-mail. Best of luck!

Wordwrestler
06-03-2011, 09:49 AM
I wish there were courses in conversational Agentese. It would make life so much simpler if I could be fluent.

I have no idea what this agent is asking of you, but it's clear he's intrigued and would like to talk. I agree that it might be a good idea to e-mail for clarification, since you don't want to appear to be not sending the full if that is what he wants, and he never got the phone message, etc. It would be nice to talk about the changes if he wants you to make them before sending the full, too.

Wish you the best!

Anne Lyle
06-03-2011, 10:55 AM
I would wait a couple of days then send an email referencing the voicemail and ask for clarification. If the agent is a halfway decent person to work with, he will be happy to explain - mine was.

I suspect that he does want to see the full unrevised ms - because if he expects you to revise the whole thing on his suggestion, that's a lot of work to commit to without an offer of representation. I would want to talk to him before doing any such revision.

Congrats, and good luck!

C.J.
06-07-2011, 07:14 PM
It may be an idea to make her voice at the same time archaic and edgy

I think the key words here are "may be an idea". Sounds to me like he is simply throwing an idea at you, not requesting you make those changes.
Congrats! and good luck.

Jamiekswriter
06-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Also an agent doesn't give out his phone number without serious interest! Way to go! Good luck!