Massachusetts tornado

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Right now, they're saying the damage is mostly structural. Some people were commuting when the tornado struck, and there were likely some injuries to people whose vehicles were blown around. The tornado has hit several more towns, including Worcester.

They're also saying that some of the same areas that have already been hit are now being hit or threatened by a second tornado.

I'm in the Boston area; we seem to be out of the line of fire, so to speak, but it's very dark and windy here. Thunder and lightning, no rain yet.

If anyone in the tornado area is reading, please stay safe.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm slightly north of Boston and we're okay too.

The news report I last heard said the tornado hit and damaged the Sturbridge Toll Booth Plaza but fortunately no one was hurt there. And some people have been trapped in their homes.

Hoping everyone in Western and Southern MA are okay.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had a tornado watch here for a while. My husband works in Massachusetts so I was really worried about him. He came home early, thank God.

I think we're mostly supposed to get hail and thunder.

Anaquana

needed a good laugh today
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
I'm in Chicopee which is right next to Springfield. There have been numerous touchdowns and a whole lot of damage/injuries, but there haven't been any reported casualties. My sister's neighborhood in W. Springfield sustained a LOT of damage, but she's ok. My hometown of Westfield got hit very hard and they may have just declared a state of emergency.

Anaquana

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
It's confirmed that Westfield has declared a state of emergency and Springfield is bringing in the National Guard.

Anaquana

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
There has been one confirmed death. A person driving their car in W. Springfield had a tree fall on their car. :'(

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
:( Stay safe everyone south and west. I'm in Somerville/metro Boston. North of the storm line, but not far enough to suit me. I hope everyone has located a safe shelter.

Ink-Stained Wretch

Registered
Reaction score
I have some friends in Springfield -- they live basically across the Interstate opposite the Basketball Hall of Fame -- and they said they're all right, but the building "across the street" had its roof torn off. I have NOT been able to get in touch with my friend who lives in Chicopee.

Anaquana, you said you live there. Do you know if Grape Street got hit?

Ink-Stained Wretch

Registered
Reaction score
Ink-Stained, Grape Street is right by me. We didn't get hit here. They should be safe. :)

Thanks. I hope so. Of course, I have no idea if he was even home at the time. Since I am the worrying type, I am already half-convinced it was his car in West Springfield.

Weather Channel must be a little behind the news, because it's still saying "No deaths," with no mention of the one in West Springfield. But it's saying there were possible funnel touchdowns in Sturbridge and Westfield, too. I don't know if the Westfield tornado is the same one you already mentioned, or another one. I have a feeling it won't be straightened out until at least tomorrow.

Ink-Stained Wretch

Registered
Reaction score
"Second tornado touches down in Springfield," according to Weather Channel. And one confirmed death, and lots of "blunt trauma injuries."

Still no word from my friend in Chicopee.

Anaquana

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
Thanks. I hope so. Of course, I have no idea if he was even home at the time. Since I am the worrying type, I am already half-convinced it was his car in West Springfield.

Weather Channel must be a little behind the news, because it's still saying "No deaths," with no mention of the one in West Springfield. But it's saying there were possible funnel touchdowns in Sturbridge and Westfield, too. I don't know if the Westfield tornado is the same one you already mentioned, or another one. I have a feeling it won't be straightened out until at least tomorrow.

There were at least two tornadoes that touched down in Westfield.

Ink-Stained Wretch

Registered
Reaction score
I don't even know now if my friends in Springfield -- the couple who lived near the basketball Hall of Fame -- are okay, and I still can't get in touch with my friend in Chicopee.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The storm line finally hit Somerville. This is the most intense lightning I've ever seen. The flashing is literally constant. In less than five minutes I saw several cloud to cloud and cloud to ground arcs. At least there's torrential rain, too, because I'm pretty sure something in my neighborhood will burn tonight. It seems like it always does.

Ink-Stained Wretch

Registered
Reaction score
ABC News -- online, not TV -- now saying four dead. And I was mistaken earlier, when I said "my friends said" they're all right; when my boyfriend called to tell me the building across from theirs lost its roof, I misunderstood him; I thought he'd heard it directly from them. No no noooo; he recognized the building on the news. NOBODY has heard from them. Or the guy in Chicopee.

But the news says the deaths were in West Springfield, Brimfield, and two in Westfield. Of course, those are only confirmed deaths. The number could rise as the National Guard goes digging around.