Need help finding publisher for animal book

Rose M

Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a book about the animals in my life. I am 65 so there have been a lot of them. It is written sort of James Heriot style. It starts in my childhood and follows with my life's adventures with animals...horses, dogs, cats, chickens and more. I do not want to self publish or publish on demand. St. Martin's Press is the publisher for the Heriot books, and has a new one about a Shepard and his dogs. That is my kind of story. I cannot contact them directly. Does anyone know of an animal book publisher that is writer friendly that would allow me to send my manuscript? At this point I am not finished. I could be half done, or done and continue on with another book. I am at a stoping point of about 120 computer pages.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Aaargghh! I wrote a nice, long response and the board ate it!! I'll try to remember what I said.

First of all, welcome Rose M! Hope you'll visit our little corner of Absolute Write often. :)

Here are a few thoughts on your questions:

Visit your favorite bookstore and look up books that are similar to what you are writing. (I see that you've already done this to an extent.) You can also look on Amazon.com and do the same thing. Make notes on the publishers of these books.

Next, look them up on the Internet and see if they have submissions guidelines posted online. If they do, print them out and study them carefully. If you can't find the publishers online, you might look in the front of the book to find an address where you can mail a request for submissions guidelines.

(Some publishers only work with agented authors; others will accept materials from writers who don't have agents--this should be specified in the guidelines.)

Then, craft the best query or proposal that you can and send only what the guidelines say they're willing to look at. Don't send the whole manuscript unless they specify that is acceptable. And if they accept e-mail submissions, be sure to adhere to their rules. If they say no attachments, don't send an attachment, etc.

Unfortunately, this is not usually a speedy process. Patience is a virtue. ;)

Hope some of this is helpful! Maybe others will pipe up with some suggestions, too. Good luck. :)

Rose M

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much. I have done some of that, will do more.

Rose M

Registered
Reaction score
Anne, thankyou. I would love to have you read it.