Should I wait and resend?

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
So an agent requested a partial, and I ended up sending it back just by hitting the reply button. I forgot to change the subject line from "query" to "requested partial" as I was too excited because this is a big agency that wants it.

However, I heard this agent usually sends out a "we got your partial!" email when they received it, and I haven't gotten that.

Should I wait a few days and then resend if I don't get that email? I'm afraid that by not changing the subject line, it might have gotten sorted into the query pile.

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethlimbooks.com
Personally, I wouldn't want to bug the agent twice. Even if it goes into the query pile s/he will read it or will probably recognize your name from the sender.

But given the agent usually sends a confirmation, maybe wait a week or so before resending.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, and don't bug them for at least a week. I never changed the subject line when I responded to requests unless the agent specifically asked for it, and my materials were always received.

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, and don't bug them for at least a week. I never changed the subject line when I responded to requests unless the agent specifically asked for it, and my materials were always received.
Okay, thanks. That makes me feel a whole lot better.

Though I'm nervous about this submission for several reasons--it's a big agency, they asked if I could give them an exclusive and I couldn't do that--after the initial excitement died off, I'm a big bundle of nerves on this one. D:

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
If you sent the partial as an attachment, I'd resend because queries with attachments usually get automatically deleted- also, put REQUESTED in the subject line.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you sent the partial as an attachment, I'd resend because queries with attachments usually get automatically deleted- also, put REQUESTED in the subject line.
That's what I'd do.

While I agree we shouldn't pester agents, I think we need to communicate with them as we would any other respected business contact. The "I am not worthy" approach is for the birds.

Good luck on your partial, Mbowman!

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, I never had this problem. I emailed about 15 partials/fulls during my last round of querying, left "Query" in the subject line (unless specifically instructed to change it), and every single sub reached the agent just fine.

:Shrug: