When does a "Western" become a "Western-Romance"?

texas_girl

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm writing my story and it has all the characteristics of a traditional western (shoot-outs, gunslingers, wild frontier, etc.) but there is a romantic story-line. So in your opinion when does a traditional western become a western-romance? Thanks! :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
When the tough dude experiences that life-changin' moment whereby he realizes he doesn't want to go on like this -- he wants to give up the fightin' an' the drinkin' an' the gamblin' an' settle down with this gal on a modest little ranch and watch the sunset with her every night.

Which is to say, when romance becomes a recognizable major goal. :)

-Derek

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
BUT ... traditional westerns were also romances - low key, guy gets girl after the bad guys are done in, and certainly no more than a gentle peck on the cheek. That was one of the basic premises.

So, my opinion, if a current writer avoids all the modern passionate kisses and roving hands, the story could probably still fit the classic western scheme. Think John Wayne movies - if your story could have become one of his movies, you're probably still okay as a western; if your male MC is more like whoever the "hunk" was who starred in 300, then you're probably more over to the romance side. Puma

texas_girl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
I really don't want my book to be lumped together with romance novels that have a shirtless cowboy on them just because it has a romantic story-line. I think I'm worried about it because most of the new westerns I have seen focus more on the violent aspect than the 'romantic' aspect in the traditional sense. The romance in my story will be pretty innocent (no roving hands, etc.) so maybe I can avoid the romance title all together.

Good thing my male MC is just a cowboy and not a body-builder or male model. ;)

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If it is a genre-romance the romance is the main focus of the book. But that makes the genre label an option not a necessity.

But watch how you characterize your romance writing peers. Respect your fellow writer. Even those who write those terrible naked chest books.

Last edited:

NinaK

On the Beach
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Veinglory and as a writer of romance I think if you can take the romance threads out of the MS and still have a viable story then there's no risk of genre confusion.

texas_girl

Registered
Reaction score
But watch how you characterize your romance writing peers. Respect your fellow writer. Even those who write those terrible naked chest books.

I'm sorry, I did not mean to offend. I just feel that this particular story is not aiming towards that market.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
When the female is the lead character, and the real plot is how they achieve a happily every after ending/

texas_girl

Registered
Reaction score
When the female is the lead character, and the real plot is how they achieve a happily every after ending/

Interesting... have any of y'all read or heard of a western with a female main character whose goal is not love? Just curious.