Where to take courses? What to take?

rach

2 Q's:

1- What are the best DL (online) courses for writers? Which companies/websites are the most accredited to give classes?

2- What do you think are my biggest weaknesses, in style?
(Examples of work below.)
I have my own theories, but I wouldn't mind hearing yours. Especially if it will help me pick out courses. That is my point in asking.

Examples of my writing:

http://www.theclassiclife.com/articles/oct_2005/tcl_art_102005fa.html
http://www.christianmommies.org/archives/november2005a.php
http://www.christian-mommies.com/special-features/book-reviews/epson-storyteller-photo-book-creator/

Blue

Registered
Reaction score
i'm happy for others to disagree with me here, but...

i believe writing courses HURT writing. i think they start infecting your brain with, well, bullsh*t.

i think the best thing a writer can do is read/ study his favorite writers, or writers he thinks are effective in some way-- investigate what's making the writing successful.

-blue

egem

Blue said:
i'm happy for others to disagree with me here, but...

i believe writing courses HURT writing. i think they start infecting your brain with, well, bullsh*t.

i think the best thing a writer can do is read/ study his favorite writers, or writers he thinks are effective in some way-- investigate what's making the writing successful.

-blue

No no no! Writing courses are good for writers! Don't tell people this.

You are looking for a studio writing course or a workshop. In these setting all writing is accepted, and you'll have other writers go over your work and tell you what they think. You can find these course in many cities and at universities. They range from cheap to costing you so much money you can't afford to eat for a month. If the writing course you are looking at is online it might not be a workshop. You may not want this. They will talk about lit theory and a bunch of other stuff you may just not be interested in. Find a workshop. I would bet your nearest city has a writers group, and most of the time writer's groups will have workshops for very cheap.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Rachel, what type of writing are you looking to do? Articles, novels, nonfiction books...?

Of course I recommend our classes at Absolute Write University(www.absoluteclasses.com). I've also heard good things about classes at Freelance Success (www.freelancesuccess.com) and Writer's Digest (www.writersdigest.com).

For freelance writing, Jennifer Nelson's Selling to the Sisterhood kicked my writing up a notch.

I feel strongly about continuing to learn as a writer, which means I disagree with Blue's opinion here-- I don't think you can generalize about writing courses like that. Maybe you've had bad experiences. I always read and studied writing techniques of my favorite writers-- but it wasn't until a professor picked apart MY writing that I started to spot my weaknesses and make strides.

People learn in all different ways. Courses, books, self-directed study, critiquing others' work, etc. I've benefitted from all those techniques.

rach

JennaGlatzer said:
but it wasn't until a professor picked apart MY writing that I started to spot my weaknesses and make strides.

That's what I need most right now. Do online courses provide a decent amount of professional critiquing and correction?

I am building an article portfolio right now. Over the next year I want to self publish a few e-books. Eventually I would like to concentrate on writing novels, with a pub co. team editor, publicist and beloved agent behind me.

I will start picking through all the sites you recommended.