PDA

View Full Version : ON your marks, get set....

ChunkyC
11-01-2005, 08:17 PM
GO!

Yes, Stories of Strength is now officially available through Lulu!

I mentioned in another thread that I spoke to Jenna about the price and that it should be adjusted to $15.95 US, hopefully sometime today. So if you wish, you can order it right now at the posted price, or wait until you see it change so that a little bit extra goes into the donation monies.

But the big thing is, the book is here! We did it, y'all!!! Time for a book release party!!!

http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage33/8.gif

CharmianChristie
11-01-2005, 08:45 PM
I just ordered my copies. The price is up to $15.95 and the downloadable version has gone up to over $5.00 as well.

Can't wait to get those copies in my hand.

Thanks to everyone involved for their hard work. This has been a very rewarding experience.

Charmian

Dawno
11-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Ordered mine! Woo Hoo! I am really looking forward to reading everyone's work.

ChunkyC
11-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Yes, the prices are now correct. w00t!

awatkins
11-01-2005, 09:19 PM
:snoopy: :Guitar: :partyguy: :hooray: :Jump:

Yay!!

ETA: I just noticed Dawno's bright-shiny, fancied-up, sparkly appendages. What a pretty touch! ;)

Kim Gogo
11-01-2005, 10:30 PM
HA! I hadn't noticed the sparkles!! Good touch!!

In regards to the SoS website, will it have the link on it to lulu dot com?

kim

ChunkyC
11-01-2005, 10:34 PM
In regards to the SoS website, will it have the link on it to lulu dot com?
Should be there by the end of the day.

Richard
11-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Up right now in fact ;-)

ChunkyC
11-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Wicked! And nicely done to boot!

JennaGlatzer
11-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Hmm. How many times do you think I'll cry today?

Current count: 2

Once when I read Frank's newsletter, and the second time when I logged into Lulu and found out...

We've already raised more than $250 for disaster relief. Since this morning.

SINCE THIS MORNING.

:hooray: :cry:

And I haven't even sent out the AW newsletter yet (goes out tomorrow), which I know will bring in a bunch of sales.

I just want to say thank you to all of you for making this such a terrific experience. We're going to make a difference.

ChunkyC
11-02-2005, 12:24 AM
JENNA! :kiss:

You can add the 6 copies I just ordered for myself. More to come from my coworkers in the next few days, I hope.

Just read Frank's newsletter, I'm feeling a bit keflempt myself....

PS -- you get the full-contact man-hugs for that incredible piece of writing, Frank. :Hug2:

clintl
11-02-2005, 12:27 AM
I'll be ordering my copy this evening. Congrats to all who put so much work into this project!

Perks
11-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Just ordered mine! I'm so impressed that you all came together so quickly for a good cause. It'll be odd holding that book in my hands and feeling like it was written by friends. Now, I'll just have to hunt some of you down and get it signed. :) Wait! Haskins has a map... road trip?

Kim Gogo
11-02-2005, 01:10 AM
We've already raised more than $250 for disaster relief. Since this morning.

SINCE THIS MORNING.

:hooray: :cry:

FANTASTIC!!! Is there somewhere at lulu where we can see how many copies have sold?

kim

maestrowork
11-02-2005, 01:17 AM
I ordered a few copies for myself and family. Will order more for the holidays (and possible review copies) after I get my greasy hands on these first.

Cabria
11-02-2005, 01:22 AM
I ordered three!
Yip - yipee!!

Deb http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
p.s. Been on the computer and phone way too much over past two days!! lol

Sully
11-02-2005, 01:33 AM
Ordered five copies... This is so exciting! I will also order some review copies once we have the link.

Mary

awatkins
11-02-2005, 01:41 AM
Waiting to hear from my daughter so we can order ours. :Jump:

maestrowork
11-02-2005, 01:41 AM
Well, let's see, if each contributor orders 5... the would be at least 500 copies there. Multiply by $16 -- that's $8000. Quite a nice sum, don't you think?

And that's just the contributors' purchase...

Sarita
11-02-2005, 02:33 AM
So Maestro's guesstimate of 500 copies would put $2,545 in the kitty, just from ourselves. Wow. That's remarkable. I was telling Jenna that my dad is going crazy (in a good way) with this. He's got a growing list of people he's buying a book for (I think he's up to 9 or 10 now) Plus he said he'd buy all of my review copies at full price just so that extra money will go to relief funds. He's a maniac! :)

This is too cool. I sent out a mass email for all my contacts this afternoon. Here's hoping they all buy a dozen copies ;)

ChunkyC
11-02-2005, 03:00 AM
:Wha: Something has gone very strange with my time-zone settings. Either that or Sarah somehow managed to jump forward in time so that she could quote from a post I hadn't made yet.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gif See? I made this post nearly forty minutes AFTER the one below that Sarah quoted. Thank goodness I have it fixed now, otherwise nobody would know what I was talking about because I'd be out of synch with everyone else.

Whaddya mean, how would you tell the difference?

Moondancer
11-02-2005, 03:11 AM
I don't know how big my order will be yet... certainly more than 5 but I think that will be a small number in comparison to the final count... My Dad, my M-I-L, my F-I-L, Aunt Fay, Aunt June, Aunt Jackie... See? I haven't even begun and already there are 6. My brothers and sisters will just have to buy their own copies, tehe... then there will be the review copies which is also an undetermined number... Good thing I've been saving up for this.

Plus, my son, in Iraq will be telling his buddies, who will tell more buddies... plus there's this Major I know in Germany who has the ear of a few high ranking Generals...

Plus, as I type, biotales is working on something downtown Nashville so everybody wish her lots of luck... even if she won't know about it until later tonight.

ChunkyC
11-02-2005, 03:22 AM
And, according to what Jenna has said, the download price of $5.09 is what goes to charity from each sale via Lulu, download or print.

So Maestro's guesstimate of 500 copies would put $2,545 in the kitty, just from ourselves. Wow.

maestrowork
11-02-2005, 03:51 AM
:Wha: Something has gone very strange with my time-zone settings. Either that or Sarah somehow managed to jump forward in time so that she could quote from a post I hadn't made yet.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gif See? I made this post nearly forty minutes AFTER the one below that Sarah quoted. Thank goodness I have it fixed now, otherwise nobody would know what I was talking about because I'd be out of synch with everyone else.

Whaddya mean, how would you tell the difference?

I think there's a weird time zone/time stamp glitch. Robeaie noticed it a few days ago, that post orders seemed to get out of whack. Also, sometimes people can't post -- we keep getting the "30-second" warning even though we haven't posted anything within 30 seconds...

maestrowork
11-02-2005, 03:53 AM
[My dad] got a growing list of people he's buying a book for (I think he's up to 9 or 10 now) Plus he said he'd buy all of my review copies at full price just so that extra money will go to relief funds. He's a maniac! :)

I wish my parents were as "crazy" as your dad RE: my book. When I mentioned mine, their reaction was like, "yeah, so are you giving me a free copy?" and "no way we're going to tell people to buy your book..."

:(

Shwebb
11-02-2005, 04:05 AM
Awww, Ray . . . :Hug2:

Kim Gogo
11-02-2005, 04:06 AM
I wish my parents were as "crazy" as your dad RE: my book. When I mentioned mine, their reaction was like, "yeah, so are you giving me a free copy?" and "no way we're going to tell people to buy your book..."

:(

Oh how sad.

...but at least you're handsome, right?

kim :)

Robin Bayne
11-02-2005, 04:09 AM
I think I killed lulu's ordering page. . it's locked up. :Hammer:

Will try again later--must be all those copies being ordered already!

maestrowork
11-02-2005, 04:14 AM
I think I killed lulu's ordering page. . it's locked up. :Hammer:

Will try again later--must be all those copies being ordered already!

Do not press order twice! Or at least check your order status first. It "locked up" on me too, but I let it run... and a few minutes later it came back with an order confirmation.

maestrowork
11-02-2005, 04:14 AM
O

...but at least you're handsome, right?

kim :)

Still, no one called me yet. So I guess not.

Shwebb
11-02-2005, 04:20 AM
How does one "vote" for the book? I signed in, but I can't seem to find out how to do it or what it means. I see it has "two votes," though. I was able to get to the ordering site, but it is acting a little squirrelly.

maestrowork
11-02-2005, 04:33 AM
I think you can only vote if you have ordered it.

JennaGlatzer
11-02-2005, 04:36 AM

Weeeird. I'm hearing about a lot of these odd problems (and the 30-second thing). I'm running repairs on the database right now (again). Let me know if that fixes it.

Lady of Prose
11-02-2005, 04:44 AM
For us non-contributors of stories, who wish to contirbute to the fund, please post the direct link to purchase the book.

Thanks.

maestrowork
11-02-2005, 04:47 AM
http://www.lulu.com/content/172091

Lady of Prose
11-02-2005, 04:48 AM
Thanks, Ray.

Okay, back with an edit-- I want to order 5 copies, but the form won't let me change the quanity. What am I missing?

Thanks for help.

Jenny
11-02-2005, 04:49 AM
Bought the book. Nearly died at the cost of international postage. It's almost the same as one book! Er-hmm. Not that I'm grumbling. I can't wait for it to arrive.

ChunkyC
11-02-2005, 04:55 AM
I'm not sure what's going on with the ratings. I believe when I posted a review for Atlanta Nights, there was a spot for rating it as well. I don't understand how we got 2 votes without anyone posting a review.

As for sales ranks, when the storefront at Lulu went live today, if you did a search for Stories of Strength in Books, you would get four hits with SoS at the bottom. The hits by default are ranked by their sales.

SoS is now first on that little list. I wish I'd thought to check on the actual sales ranking this morning, but as of this moment, SoS is #1409. I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

We're also already #2 out of 27 titles in the 'essays' subsection we belong to.

I'm well aware that we are accounting for the majority of sales so far, if not all of them, but it hasn't been a bad first day, my friends, not bad at all.

scfirenice
11-02-2005, 05:10 AM
Thanks, Ray.

Okay, back with an edit-- I want to order 5 copies, but the form won't let me change the quanity. What am I missing?

Thanks for help.

I had the same problem change it to five then Update Cart before continuing.

ChunkyC
11-02-2005, 05:16 AM
That's likely it. Here's the skinny from the Lulu help files (3rd item):
-------------------------------
How do I use the shopping cart?
Clicking an ADD TO CART button on an item's detail page puts that item in your shopping cart. From the shopping cart, you can

Click CONTINUE SHOPPING to find more items to add to your cart. You can return to your cart at any time by clicking the "View Cart" link at the top right on any page.
Remove an item from your cart by clicking Delete next to that item.
Change the quantity of a printed item or a service. Enter the new quantity in the item's Quantity box and click UPDATE CART.

Lady of Prose
11-02-2005, 05:23 AM
I had the same problem change it to five then Update Cart before continuing.

Yes, I found that button, but it still didn't work. However, if I go and reorder then go back to cart for check out, the quanity is updated! So, guess I'll see if it works for me that way.

Thanks, everyone.

Shwebb
11-02-2005, 05:27 AM
SoS is now first on that little list. I wish I'd thought to check on the actual sales ranking this morning, but as of this moment, SoS is #1409. I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

We're also already #2 out of 27 titles in the 'essays' subsection we belong to.

I'm well aware that we are accounting for the majority of sales so far, if not all of them, but it hasn't been a bad first day, my friends, not bad at all.Compare it to this book http://www.lulu.com/content/178059 and you'll see just how good it's really going. (Their book has "Red Cross" on the back cover--how did they do that?)

scfirenice
11-02-2005, 05:30 AM
Does anyone have tips on what to do with the bookmarks and flyers. I had a ton printed at Staples and now am wondering what to do with them.

Lady of Prose
11-02-2005, 05:33 AM
Well, I've had a new experience in ordering today. I got the quanity one by one; the update cart button never did work for me. I also ordered my paper copy of AN while I was there!

Again, great job everyone.

MarkPettus
11-02-2005, 05:43 AM
Does anyone have tips on what to do with the bookmarks and flyers. I had a ton printed at Staples and now am wondering what to do with them.

One idea - Take them to bookstores and librarys. Ask them to order the book, and to give away the bookmarks.

ChunkyC
11-02-2005, 05:45 AM
In the space at the bottom of the flyer, jot down something like: Includes the story yadayada by local author blah blah.

Then hunt down bookstores, libraries, any place that sells books. Ask them if you can post a flyer in their window or whatever spot they set aside for such stuff. Give the person who gave you permission a few bookmarks as a thank you. If they ask about stocking SoS themselves (better yet, ask them if they would or be willing to order it in for customers), tell them the book will be listed in INGRAM'S soon.

scfirenice
11-02-2005, 05:47 AM
Thanks. I spoke with the local Borders about stocking the book, they said they couldn't do anything until Ingrams picked it up. Also, how do we follow the books rankings?

Lady K'Lyssia
11-02-2005, 05:58 AM
One word of warning about getting the retailers to carry the book. Many will not carry POD publications because they are usually non-returnable. Don't be surprised if you run into some resistance because of this.

I have even heard of some retailers who won't even special order a POD book for customer who requests it in case the customer doesn't come back for it and they are stuck with it.

Not wanting to be a downer - but this is something to be aware of.

Lulu may allow for returns from a retailer (I haven't read that closely into all their information) - in which case my points may be moot.

Sarita
11-02-2005, 05:58 AM
I wish I'd thought to check on the actual sales ranking this morning, but as of this moment, SoS is #1409. I'm gonna keep an eye on it.It was in the 3000's when I checked it around 9:30 am. We're moving up, folks. :)

(and Ray: I :heart: you, and not just for your looks. You have excellent choice in movies and sushi ;) )

Lady K'Lyssia
11-02-2005, 06:00 AM
I'm going to scan my flyer into my computer as something other than a PDF some I can actually add the appropiate information at the bottom of the flyer when I print them out without having to handwrite it (I have lousy handwriting) or put a label on it.

Will look more professional that way in my opinion.

ChunkyC
11-02-2005, 06:02 AM
Also, how do we follow the books rankings?
At Lulu? It shows up on the main SoS page, under Product Details -- Lulu Sales Rank

ChunkyC
11-02-2005, 06:09 AM
I'm going to scan my flyer into my computer as something other than a PDF some I can actually add the appropiate information at the bottom of the flyer when I print them out without having to handwrite it (I have lousy handwriting) or put a label on it.

Will look more professional that way in my opinion.
The only thing to watch out for is too many print/scan/copy cycles leading to a deterioration of the quality of the final product. You'll be able to tell tho'. A label is another good alternative to handwriting.

JennaGlatzer
11-02-2005, 06:13 AM
Thank you so much to everyone who's ordering copies! Lady, you're awesome.

We're about to sell our 100th book.

:banana:

Grocery stores will often let you leave flyers or bookmarks, too. And local businesses are apt to let you put a poster in the window, or let you leave bookmarks on the counter.

September skies
11-02-2005, 06:17 AM
I'm buying five to start with and letting my siblings (I have 8) buy their own! My best friend said he's ordering 10 tomorrow! This is so exciting.

scfirenice
11-02-2005, 06:17 AM
I bought three, my mom probably got 20. I hope hope hope this thing goes BIG TIME. (does hope happy dance)

Good Word
11-02-2005, 06:26 AM
I ordered three to start. And I am emailing about 300 people this week. I'm guessing 15% of them will buy it.

I hope it really doesn't take a week to get the copies. I can't stand it! I want 'em now!

Edited to add: And Chunk, the sales ranking was still 1409 after I ordered. I guess it doesn't get updated immediately?

mdin
11-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Despite my efforts, my mother found out about this. So she's probably going to order several copies soon.

I've seen Lulu's special page about the anthology (http://www.lulu.com/storiesstrength ) but they haven't featured it on the front page or anything.

Also if someone wants to let those who run http://www.hatrack.com/ know about this, you may find a sudden spike in sales.

mdin
11-02-2005, 06:42 AM
While the website looks great, I think the Lulu sales page needs a little help. The .pdf preview is good, but it skips the TOC. I've already had one guy think that the song available in the preview is the extent of OSC's contribution. Is it possible to put the TOC up there? If not, I can put it there in a review or sumtin'.

maestrowork
11-02-2005, 06:58 AM

Bookstores and libraries. Also coffee shops and hangings like chic restaurants, theaters, music halls, etc. where cultural people frequent. Flyers -- store fronts in your neighborhood...

September skies
11-02-2005, 07:03 AM
I'm seeing two different prices for the download version. I clicked on "by various authors" link to see what it would say and it takes you to another "buy it now" page but download version listed as $4.75 there and $5.09 on first page. I guess it'll take a little while to get all the kinks out.

Shwebb
11-02-2005, 07:06 AM
I found this in their forum section on sales ranking:

Lulu sales rank is calculated by a mystical formula that involves both the quantity of products sold, and the price of the product sold. It's a weighted system, so free products carry less weight in the rankings than products with a price. And a $20 book will carry more weight than a $2 PDF download. Only the great seers of Lulu know the actual formula, however, and they aren't telling http://www.lulu.com/forums/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Robert Rohloff
11-02-2005, 09:16 AM
I just ordered some copies. I have eight siblings plus all their grown children that I have contacted. I hope we will be seeing sales of around forty to fifty copes just inside my family. They were all very excited about the project, and said they would pass on the word to all their friends. Cheers to all of you. Who made this dream a reality.

Christine N.
11-02-2005, 04:19 PM
You know, for only starting to write with the intention of publication five years ago, my little bookshelf is really starting to fill up quite nicely. One book that's totally my own, plus two anthologies.
(plus the bound copy of the Nano book I wrote last year that my publisher had done for me, but that's only for me. :) )

Coo!

Moondancer
11-02-2005, 04:42 PM
This morning the sales rank is 230... Shwebb, I think, posted that in another thread....

It's #18 in the new releases section.

Dawno
11-04-2005, 05:06 AM
I just got a great email "Your Lulu Order Has Shipped" Yay!!! :)

aruna
11-04-2005, 06:02 PM
I just got a great email "Your Lulu Order Has Shipped" Yay!!! :)

Green with envy...

Shwebb
11-04-2005, 06:13 PM
When I placed an order late in the evening of Nov. 1, Lulu's site told me something like "due to increased business, your order may be delayed."

Didn't bother me--I just figured we were all doing our job and thus swamping Lulu's printing presses!

September skies
11-14-2005, 04:30 AM
I am starting to get really worried. The amount was removed from my bank account on Nov.2, and I paid the extra to have it shipped priority but still no book.

:snoopy::snoopy:I know one thing, when it finally arrives, I will dance and scream so loud, the neighbors will wonder what is happening! :snoopy::snoopy:

edit on 11/15: Boohooo - still no book

Lady of Prose
11-15-2005, 06:12 AM
Hi Everyone! I ordered my 5 copies along with a copy of AN the first day of Nov., and received them today. I'm pleased as can be!