PDA

View Full Version : What would a Jicarilla Apache call his people?

Alessandra Kelley
05-30-2011, 03:40 AM
What would a Jicarilla Apache call his people? Would it be "Jicarilla Apache" or "Apache" or "Jicarilla" or something else?

Ari Meermans
05-30-2011, 03:45 AM
Apache was originally a Zuni word meaning 'enemy'. The Apache called themselves Nde (meaning "the people"). Today, most Apache call themselves Apache, too.

hth

kuwisdelu
05-30-2011, 04:56 AM
Apache was originally a Zuni word meaning 'enemy'. The Apache called themselves Nde (meaning "the people"). Today, most Apache call themselves Apache, too.

hth

I'm a Zuni... Now I'm curious how you happened to knew that. Are you just an expert on southwestern tribes or are you a native yourself?

Ari Meermans
05-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Neither, actually. Just a tidbit I remember from an eighth grade term paper assignment I was given way back in the 60s. The assignment was to discover the American Indian tribe (well, it was the 60s, you understand) who called themselves 'The People' and detail as much about their lives as I could find information on. As I remember her, that teacher believed in giving obscure assignments to teach in-depth research skills.

ETA: Obviously, that was well before the advent of the internet and "heavy lifting" was required.

kuwisdelu
05-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Neither, actually. Just a tidbit I remember from an eighth grade term paper assignment I was given way back in the 60s. The assignment was to discover the American Indian tribe (well, it was the 60s, you understand) who called themselves 'The People' and detail as much about their lives as I could find information on. As I remember her, that teacher believed in giving obscure assignments to teach in-depth research skills.

ETA: Obviously, that was well before the advent of the internet and "heavy lifting" was required.

Hmm, interesting. Though as far as I know, just about every culture on Earth calls itself in it's native language "the people" or something similar.

Medievalist
05-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Hmm, interesting. Though as far as I know, just about every culture on Earth calls itself in it's native language "the people" or something similar.

Pretty much. There are a couple of almost gone Papua New Guinea languages that define people as sort of kin and not-kin, the same group used for edible animals.