Status
Not open for further replies.

erica_henry

Typing away 1 word at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erica-henry.blogger.com
Hello guys. Let me start by saying that I appreciate any information that you have to offer. i have been lurking on the self-pubbing thread for weeks now, trying to the information that I need. I have yet to find all of my answers so I have decided to ask in a separate thread. Sorry if there has been a thread on it, but I couldn't find it.

Here's a little background:

I am about to finish my 2nd novel. 1st one is trunked for now. 2nd is in another round of revisions. I never really considered self-pubbing because I wanted a physical copy of my book that I could get into bookstores and not cost an arm and a leg. Well, I was naive and didn't understand this aspect of the business.

I am seriously considering epubbing through smashwords (free to do, free ISBN, and ability to get it on Amazon, istore, and B&N online). I also want physical copies of my book to be available for purchase.

I have done some research on LULU.COM, CREATESPACE, AND LIGHTENINGSOURCE (though not as extensive on lighteningsource yet).

1. Do you get free ISBNS with each of those?
  2. You can retain your rights with all 3 correct?
  3. Createspace seems like the least expensive route in the end. Is that correct?
  4. If someone purchased my book on amazon how long does it take for them to get it? (this is something that I have found no information on what so ever).
  5. All three would allow me to sell on my website directly correct?
  6. If I was able to get an indie bookstore to be interested in my book, how does that usually work? In other words, do I purchase and sell to them? Do they usually have the option to return? etc.
  7. Anything else that I should know?

I do have the ability to create a cover, and know that beta readers are super important. I also have many connections that I can use to have one of my author friends or review friends to review, interview me, or tweet,etc

Library4Science

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.library4science.com
Hello guys. Let me start by saying that I appreciate any information that you have to offer. i have been lurking on the self-pubbing thread for weeks now, trying to the information that I need. I have yet to find all of my answers so I have decided to ask in a separate thread. Sorry if there has been a thread on it, but I couldn't find it.

Here's a little background:

I am about to finish my 2nd novel. 1st one is trunked for now. 2nd is in another round of revisions. I never really considered self-pubbing because I wanted a physical copy of my book that I could get into bookstores and not cost an arm and a leg. Well, I was naive and didn't understand this aspect of the business.

I am seriously considering epubbing through smashwords (free to do, free ISBN, and ability to get it on Amazon, istore, and B&N online). I also want physical copies of my book to be available for purchase.

I have done some research on LULU.COM, CREATESPACE, AND LIGHTENINGSOURCE (though not as extensive on lighteningsource yet).

1. Do you get free ISBNS with each of those?
  2. You can retain your rights with all 3 correct?
  3. Createspace seems like the least expensive route in the end. Is that correct?
  4. If someone purchased my book on amazon how long does it take for them to get it? (this is something that I have found no information on what so ever).
  5. All three would allow me to sell on my website directly correct?
  6. If I was able to get an indie bookstore to be interested in my book, how does that usually work? In other words, do I purchase and sell to them? Do they usually have the option to return? etc.
  7. Anything else that I should know?

I do have the ability to create a cover, and know that beta readers are super important. I also have many connections that I can use to have one of my author friends or review friends to review, interview me, or tweet,etc

1. With smashwords you can get free or pay. With pay you can use it elsewhere.
2. Yes
3. Don't know but the all have a form wizard to get a price for size, color etc.
4. Immeadiate for Kindle, print depends on shipping method buyer chooses, 2 day with Amazon Prime.
5. Yes
6. Don't know for sure sure but I think not.
6. Smashwords no longer distributes to Amazon, use KDP. You can also go direct to B&N using their Pubit interface.

With KDP you can change the cover and description etc. to 'tune' it up as often as you like. Amazon does no promotion of your book at the beginning, most important is to get sales (via friends, fans etc.) for at least 10/month for a couple months, then Amazons algorithms will kick in and start to push sales for you.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Lightning Source is quite different from Createspace and Lulu. You will HAVE to own your own block of ISBNs, you must have seller's permit(s) (in one or more states), and must provide bank and payment information; some important information (pricing, for example) is not shared until you have completed the opening of an account, which is a multistep process. Also, technical requirements are much more stringent. (I had to spend some $1,300 on new software to meet their requirements for interiors and cover, even though what I had worked fine with Lulu and should have worked fine with Createspace.) Cost structure is quite different, but per-copy costs can be favorable. Etc. Very different.

Lulu is expensive. Easy (self-publishing on training wheels), but costly per per copy with extortionate shipping, and gimmicky.

Createspace seems to get high marks. I have an account, but have not used it (and might never, now that I have an LS account).

LS can handle digital (e-) books, but I do not know the details. The whole e-book thing is complicated by different formats/platforms. Be cautious about Smashwords, even aside from its really stupid name. Some find it useful, but it does not connect to Kindle store yet (although THAT is easy to get into on your own), and its reputation regarding formatting is spotty.

Etc. And more etc.

--Ken

ios

Weirdo.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chiaroscurohouse.com

erica_henry

Typing away 1 word at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erica-henry.blogger.com
Thanks for the links. I actually had bookmarked this site from a suggestion on one of the threads on here. But I will definitely check out those specific one. Thanks a million.

Status
Not open for further replies.