Booklist needed. Can you help?

The Backward OX

XO drawkcaB ehT
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I’m considering writing a novel which, amongst other things, will contain certain similarities to The History of Tom Jones. These similarities are mostly that my Main Character will become superficially involved with a number of women.

One of the ways in which my story will differ from Tom Jones is in the type of personality my MC will portray.

One way to explain this might be to ask you to consider the personalities of Forrest Gump, or Raymond Babbitt in Rainman, or John Elder Robison in his autobiography Look Me in the Eye.

Another way would be to describe my MC as a social misfit, a person who doesn’t understand the rules by which most people play.

What I seek is details (title and author) of any novels – if such exist - that include a portrayal of this type of man, and his involvement in relationships, over time, with a variety of more or less normal women.

Era and setting are irrelevant.

Thank you.

Last edited:

HistoryLvr

Add Salt to Taste
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will be helpful at all, so if not, please simply ignore, but this reminds me a whole lot about a popular tv show. It's called How I Met Your Mother and is pretty popular in the US. There are 5 mcs, and one of them is this guy Barney. He thinks he is really just God's gift to women and he sleeps with a different girl every night. It's a sitcom, so not particularly serious, but when I read your post, he was all I could think of. It's a really great show, at least imo, and if you're up for storytelling in ways that aren't literary, it might help you out.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’m considering writing a novel which, amongst other things, will contain certain similarities to The History of Tom Jones. These similarities are mostly that my Main Character will become superficially involved with a number of women.

One of the ways in which my story will differ from Tom Jones is in the type of personality my MC will portray.

One way to explain this might be to ask you to consider the personalities of Forrest Gump, or Raymond Babbitt in Rainman, or John Elder Robison in his autobiography Look Me in the Eye.

They're nothing alike. You've got a man with a cognitive impairment and savant skills, a highly intelligent man with autism and very few self-help skills, and a highly intelligent man with Aspergers.

You're not really going to find much in the way of novels with characters on the autism spectrum being "involved with a number of women". Mostly because autism in used in literature as shorthand for being socially distant or incompetent. (And if we're talking cognitively impaired characters, that's usually used as shorthand for helplessness or perceived helplessness.) I find that if the fictional character on the autism spectrum manages to deal with a single romance in a semi-competent manner, it's a victory. For that, I could suggest:

Harmonic Feedback (it's a chick but still)
Marcelo In The Real World (fake Aspergers)
Born On A Blue Day (nonfic)
Mindblind
Come Fall

The Backward OX

XO drawkcaB ehT
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
You're not really going to find much in the way of novels with characters on the autism spectrum being "involved with a number of women". Mostly because autism in used in literature as shorthand for being socially distant or incompetent. (And if we're talking cognitively impaired characters, that's usually used as shorthand for helplessness or perceived helplessness.) I find that if the fictional character on the autism spectrum manages to deal with a single romance in a semi-competent manner, it's a victory.

I did say “superficially involved”, which was a polite way of saying he was just there for the sex, i.e., basic instinct as opposed to “romance”, whatever that is. But thanks anyway for the suggestions.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
"Forrest Gump as a The Man Who Loved Women" - That's how I would pitch the idea you have outlined as a movie.

"An idiot savant with the magical gift of being irresistible to women, bounces from encounter to encounter with famous women through history."

It actually sounds just cheezy enough to be a summer hit.

And no, I can't think of a novel that fits that exact description. Although there is a vague memory of a psuedo sci-fi action erotica from my youth, a character by the name of "Johnathan Relevant" - a quick google turns up this.

http://www.spyguysandgals.com/sgShowChar.asp?ScanName=Relevant_Jonathan

I seem to recall that this person would 'become' whatever sexual fantasy that the opposite character desired. Think of "Quantum Leap" - with a lot more sex.

Good luck