PDA

View Full Version : One of the Coolest Things To Happen To A Writer--EVER

mscelina
05-29-2011, 07:17 AM
So Alan Rickman did something amazingly cool, something I think most writers could only dream about--he took out a full page ad to send a thank you note to JK Rowling for Harry Potter.

You can read the whole thing here (http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/05/rickman_rowling_letter.html), but the coolest part of it is the final bit...and I quote:

It is an ancient need to be told stories. But the story needs a great storyteller. Thanks for all of it, Jo.

Alan Rickman

When Alan Rickman sends me a thank you note like that, I think I will have arrived.

Wayne K
05-29-2011, 07:25 AM
I forbid anyone to do this to me. A half page will suffice

mscelina
05-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Oh it will, will it?

I'm thinking a classified might be enough for you. :P

Cliff Face
05-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Alan Rickman is awesome. He should read my books. Seriously.

Can I take out a full page out that just says that in large print? :D

VP_Benni
05-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Aww :) It's so sweet! I'd love it if someone did that for me someday.

~Amber~

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Oh it will, will it?

I'd settle for phone call. Srsly.

regdog
05-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Class

mscelina
05-29-2011, 08:51 PM
I'd settle for phone call. Srsly.

Yep. This would be my ad:

Dear Mr. Rickman--

Please call me up and read the phone book to me--any phone book will do. Because of your extraordinary acting ability and one of the most distinctive and incredible voices ever, I just want the opportunity to close my eyes and imagine you playing MY villian on the big screen.

Oh, and I don't care what anyone says: I still think you were the only bright spot in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. Seriously.

Sincerely and holding my breath,
Celina Summers

PS--I wish I could have seen you playing Valmont on the stage.

scarletpeaches
05-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it looks more like publicity than gratitude?

Why he didn't just say thank you to the author instead of the author, via the magazine?

mscelina
05-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Publicity for what? The last HP movie? :D Yeah, Deathly Hallows 2 needs a lot of extra publicity.

Apparently, this appeared at the back of a trade magazine for some kind of event involving the film industry. *shrug* I don't think Rickman is necessarily a publicity-seeker not having witnessed any such behavior like that on his part in the past, but anyone's free to interpret this that way if they like.

scarletpeaches
05-29-2011, 09:14 PM
I didn't say publicity for the film.

Williebee
05-29-2011, 09:19 PM
We can think the worst, the best, or anywhere in between I guess.

scarletpeaches
05-29-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm not saying there was an negative intention behind it; I could be wrong. It happens on the odd occasion. But threads involving JKR can often descend into chants of "Shun the unbeliever!" if someone pipes up with, "Er...actually...meh?"

I mean, if James Purefoy wanted to take out a full-page ad in the Times telling everyone how impressed he is by my mad writor skillz, then great, but if such a thing ever seriously happened to me -- big if -- I'd be more inclined to embarrassment than pride.

But hey, that's just me. And we're allowed to disagree, aren't we?

clockwork
05-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Apparently, this appeared at the back of a trade magazine for some kind of event involving the film industry.

Empire is the UK's biggest film magazine, and this featured as one part of their Harry Potter retrospective issue. Still a nice gesture, but not really an ad... just a letter he wrote to be included with all the other interviews, features, photos etc. More here (http://www.empireonline.com/magazine/).

shelleyo
05-29-2011, 11:44 PM
He didn't take out an ad. It was part of a "Harry Potter Ultimate Celebration" in Empire, and those words were his contribution to the fairly large section.

What he said is still cool, which is probably why they put it on a page by itself. :)

Shelley

Alessandra Kelley
05-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Alan Rickman is awesome. This was a lovely gesture.

I adored him in "Sense and Sensibility" (haven't seen the Harry Potter movies).

Haggis
05-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Oh it will, will it?

Pfft. Maybe a fist bump. Maybe.

bettielee
05-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Alan Rickman is awesome on so many levels. As is JK Rowling.

I luv the part you quoted.

poetinahat
05-30-2011, 09:23 AM
But hey, that's just me. And we're allowed to disagree, aren't we?

I don't think anyone's questioned the right to disagree, have they?

Eh, I think Williebee summed things up very nicely. And far be it from performers to do private things publicly.

Sincerity and publicity don't have to be mutually exclusive, though the latter certainly doesn't add any cred to the former. Who knows what gestures he's made between the two of them? Well, by definition, only they do.

As it happens, I'm sympathetic to the cynical reaction, but then again, it's nothing to do with me, and there might be any number of other reasons for a public gesture. Public gestures of affection, or otherwise, have a long history. And private gestures can just as well be cynical or imbued with ulterior motive.

I get the feeling that Alan Rickman is a class act, and same with Rowling, but how would I really know? No big deal. I'm happy to be happy about it.

fredXgeorge
05-31-2011, 05:52 AM
The HP edition of Empire is gonna be amazing. I've been trying to figure out where to buy it because I need to have it. And yes, Alan's letter was so sweet :heart:

Charlee
05-31-2011, 07:01 PM
That is so nice Ahhhh