Do agents usually give advances on advances?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Just asking. I wanted to post a thread on my excellent ex-agency in Bewares and Background Check and wasn't sure if this is normal behaviour.
My agency regularly advanced me money when I was skint, when they knew advances were due in a few months. That really helped me stay above water. Do other agents do this?

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
when they knew advances were due in a few months

May I also ask, as it's kinda related... how long does it generally take between signing a publishing contract and the advance (or first instalment thereof) getting through to the author? I'm sure it varies, but have people's experiences been days, weeks or months?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
An advance on an advance? Your agency is kinda cool to do that.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
i've never heard of it happening, but having an agency who are able to do that is pretty cool. looking after their authors and all.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a standard thing, Sharon, but I have heard of several agents doing this for their established clients on the odd occasion.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If they establish doing it for odd clients I'd be rich :D

Deleted member 42

Just asking. I wanted to post a thread on my excellent ex-agency in Bewares and Background Check and wasn't sure if this is normal behaviour.
My agency regularly advanced me money when I was skint, when they knew advances were due in a few months. That really helped me stay above water. Do other agents do this?

Sometimes, especially if they know the author/author's work.

I've known publishers to do this as well, by the way.

I had a textbook publisher send me a check before the contract was actually finalized so I could pay tuition. (W. W. Norton you rock!)

Deleted member 42

May I also ask, as it's kinda related... how long does it generally take between signing a publishing contract and the advance (or first instalment thereof) getting through to the author? I'm sure it varies, but have people's experiences been days, weeks or months?

I'm in a very funny niche genre--consumer technology books.

The contract was finalized in mid March for a book about the iPad 2. We finished the ms. in mid-Aprill, c. the 20th or so, including author review/galleys.

The book was in stores May 8.

I got the first chunks of the advance about two weeks ago; I'm waiting for a last chunk that was a bonus for hitting the deadline.

In some cases, also, there's a delay on the part of the agent--look for an agency clause about remitting funds/sending checks. Don't let them sit on checks indefinitely.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
New to me, although I've never asked.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I've known publishers to do this as well, by the way.

Yes, my publisher did this once too, so I could make a downpayment on a house! I thought that was great.
Started a thread for my ex-agency, here.

Though they are still my agent in a way, as I still get a few paltry royalty payments, one coming up soon, and they're the ones who send it. They also still send me info letters on publisher news that affect authors.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
That would certainly be unusual in the US; it's far more usual here for publishers to move up payment schedules for a contracted project (as Medievalist mentions) when an author is tight for cash.

How lovely that your agents came through for you in that way, aruna!

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
That would certainly be unusual in the US; it's far more usual here for publishers to move up payment schedules for a contracted project (as Medievalist mentions) when an author is tight for cash.

How lovely that your agents came through for you in that way, aruna!

I know! And at the time I didn't appreciate it. I took it for granted, and even let the agent go due to a stupid difference of opinion that could easily have been resolved, with more patience on my part. What a prick I was!

Anyway, I got my comeuppance: seven years without an agent, and me down on my knees begging someone, anyone, to let me in, bleeding my heart out. Seven bloody years. But I deserved it, truly.

Last edited:

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Aruna and Medievalist :)

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
Ask for direct bank transfers - the cheque (or check!) is dead and can get 'lost/delayed in the post' ;)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's not too uncommon, if the agent can afford to do so. I've even known a couple of agents who often gave advances to writers they really had faith in when no advance was expected.

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
It's not too uncommon, if the agent can afford to do so. I've even known a couple of agents who often gave advances to writers they really had faith in when no advance was expected.

I'm starting to wonder if Dear Jim just gets a kick out of being contrary.

Personally, I've never heard of that, but maybe it's because the agents I know don't want people lining up at their doors with their hands out without a contract, and the authors who are getting that treatment don't want to overextend their gravy train. It might not be "too uncommon," but it certainly isn't common in the circles I've been in.