Using a freelance designer for the cover

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
If you're using a freelance designer for the cover, what would be a fair price to pay?

Book Graphics

A busy author's best friend!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookgraphics.wordpress.com
Freelance Cover Designer

Hi there,

My first day here, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules!

I've just launched a design service specifically for authors. I'm a writer myself and work on a freelance basis. I've loaded samples of custom covers I've designed and a bunch of pre-made covers (and other goodies) on my wordpress site (I am NOT an html guru, btw). I'm designing both fiction and non-fiction covers. I'd be happy to help you, check out my stuff via these links -

Custom eBook Cover Samples

Pre-made Covers

Whether you decide to let me help you, or go with another designer, you'll find that custom covers are more expensive than pre-made covers. Why? First, the designer typically has to buy stock images to use in the design and custom designs also take more of the designer's time (and if you are thinking of a photo shoot to get the 'perfect' image, you're talking about mega-bucks.) Custom covers are also MUCH more attractive, detailed to suit your book specifically, and more successful.

I have won numerous magazine cover design awards, but I'm just starting out designing book covers, so my prices are very low right now.

And, lastly, designing a book cover should be a collaborative process involving both the author and designer...and don't let any diva designer tell you otherwise!

Dawn

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
I have won numerous magazine cover design awards, but I'm just starting out designing book covers, so my prices are very low right now.

Can you mention some magazines you've designed covers for, and awards you've won? Your site's "About Me" section says it isn't a priority, but I'm always curious about past design work.

EnitaMeadows

Registered
Reaction score
Most I've seen are over $50, but there's no set rule that says you have to pay that little or that much. My own designs, for instance, are running at $35 because it's a young business. Usually the artist will ask for a certain price, and you just have to judge on if you're getting what you're paying for, and if you think it's worth it.