PDA

View Full Version : Very sick cat

Broadswordbabe
05-26-2011, 08:58 AM
My little beastie, Egypt, is sick. Drastic weight loss, swollen abdomen. She's going in for tests today, or she's supposed to be, but like an idiot I forgot to pick up the food bowls until 3 am when i woke in a panic and remembered. I hope they can still do them. I'm typing this one handed while she sits on me right where it makes it most difficult to type, like she always does, holding my wrist down with one paw, purring. I'm trying not to cry. Vet says it's either her heart, or her kidneys, or cancer; maybe treatable, maybe not. this is horrible. And I may have made it worse by being so stupidly absent-minded about the food. Sorry if this is rambling, didn't get much sleep, needed to spill.

Medievalist
05-26-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm so very sorry. This is always hard. But the fact that she's purring is telling. Take some comfort from that, and from this {{{{{Broadswordbabe}}}}}}.

I'll be thinking good thoughts.

BeatrixKiddo
05-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Sorry to hear that hon. Lots of sick kitties on here lately. I hope she has a good vet.

alleycat
05-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Call and tell your vet about the food. See what they say. If needed, they would probably be willing to postpone the tests.

I hope things turn out for the best. It's tough when an animals is sick because they can't tell you directly how they feel. And don't give up hope; my first cat had cancerous tumors at her abdomen and they were able to perform surgery three times on her to remove them.

Ari Meermans
05-26-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm so sorry. This is a rough time for you and Egypt. I'll be thinking of you both and hoping her condition is treatable.

Snitchcat
05-26-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm sorry to hear you and Egypt are going through such a tough time. But Egypt will be fine! Lots of hugs and positivity!

fredXgeorge
05-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Oh, that's awful :( Sending good vibes your way!

Fenika
05-26-2011, 11:18 AM
3am is better than 8am. Depending on what tests and what concerns your vet has, they should still be able to do their tests, just maybe a few hours later than planned. Your vet will be able to look at the whole picture and decide.

I hope they can diagnose this and turn your kitteh around. Hugs for Egypt!

Broadswordbabe
05-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Thank you, guys, you're very kind. They said when I took her in that the food thing wouldn't be a problem, and they're very good there. They really seem to like the animals they care for which hasn't always been true with vets I've encountered. I've got to phone back at 2 if they haven't called, so, fingers crossed.

Side note: Why is it you can be OK until someone asks if you're OK, at which point you start bawling again?

Fenika
05-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Because when someone asks, it forces you to realize you're not okay. :Hug2: Hang in there. Egypt is in good hands.

Mr Flibble
05-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Aw, Babe, that's awful for you, and Egypt. *hugs*

Let us know how the tests go!

Charlee
05-26-2011, 04:08 PM
That's so horrible for you, I hope everythign goes ok. It is terribel when pets are ill they are members of the family.

BunnyMaz
05-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Oh poor Egypt. She's in the best hands she could be right now. I lost a cat recently and I know exactly how horrible it is waiting to hear.

The good thing is you've got her in for tests quickly and the vets sound wonderful. You've given her the best chance you possibly could. I don't know if you believe in such things, but know that I'm thinking of you and Egypt and I'll be lighting a candle for health and strength in my acknowledgements tonight.

heyjude
05-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh, Broadswordbabe. :Hug2: I'm so sorry. My prayers are with you and your sweet Egypt today. Keep us posted.

regdog
05-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Best wishes for you and kitty :Hug2:

Broadswordbabe
05-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'm afraid it's cancer - inoperable. The vet thinks she was asymptomatic for a long time - maybe because the liver's good at repairing itself; she still doesn't seem distressed, though she's weak. It's a matter of days or weeks, now. Nothing to be done except make her as comfortable as possible and call them in when, well, you know. When it's obvious she's had enough. At least I can get them to do it here, in her home, when it has to be done. Her son Schrody seems more upset than she is - he knows something's up.
Thank you for being so kind, all of you. It really helps, especially when bf's job has taken him away overnight.
Hugs in return.

heyjude
05-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'm afraid it's cancer - inoperable. The vet thinks she was asymptomatic for a long time - maybe because the liver's good at repairing itself; she still doesn't seem distressed, though she's weak. It's a matter of days or weeks, now. Nothing to be done except make her as comfortable as possible and call them in when, well, you know. When it's obvious she's had enough. At least I can get them to do it here, in her home, when it has to be done. Her son Schrody seems more upset than she is - he knows something's up.
Thank you for being so kind, all of you. It really helps, especially when bf's job has taken him away overnight.
Hugs in return.

Oh, I'm so so so sorry. :Hug2: :cry: I'm weeping with you. We went through this with our little cat a few years ago. It's so hard. Blessings for you both.

Medievalist
05-26-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm so very sorry Broadswordbabe. I know how hard this is for you. You have my deepest sympathies.

CaroGirl
05-26-2011, 11:34 PM
So sorry to hear. Consider calling the vet in sooner rather than later, though. Cats are very stoic and she might be in more pain than you realize. Give her a loving, comfortable few days, until you're ready to say goodbye.

Take care.

Chicago Expat
05-27-2011, 03:02 AM
My sincere condolences, from a hardcore cat person.

I'll have good thoughts for all of you.

BunnyMaz
05-27-2011, 03:11 AM
I'm so, so sorry. At least you know what it is now and I am so, so pleased the vet will come to you when the time comes. Egypt will get to be somewhere she feels safe, surrounded by those who love her. That is all any of us could ask.

There is one thing I would suggest. Make some arrangement with work, friends, family, so that when the day comes when she is close to the end you can spend the day at home with her at short notice, making her comfortable and making sure she feels safe. And that you have someone else at home with you the whole time.

I was lucky in that Mething's last day was a day I didn't normally work, so I was able to spend the day with her, but I was on my own and I was just emotionally and physically exhausted.

Sending all of you hugs and love.

alleycat
05-27-2011, 03:28 AM
I'm sorry to hear the latest news.

At some point, you might take some comfort from this essay by Robert James Waller. It's about his cat and finally having to end the cat's suffering when the time came.

http://members.fortunecity.com/aujan/waller.htm

Alessandra Kelley
05-27-2011, 03:31 AM
Oh, Broadswordbabe, I'm so sorry.

Tepelus
05-27-2011, 05:54 AM
I can sympathize what you're going through. Our outdoor kitty, Jake, has not been well for nearly two weeks. We took him to the vet and they told us he had a ruptured intestine. They did surgery on him, had us bring him home a couple of days later only he wasn't ready to come home, he wasn't eating or drinking and we thought he was going to die. We took him back to the vet last Saturday and today were able to bring him home. He's very skinny, doesn't even look like the same cat anymore, but at least now he is eating, and eating well. They got his infection under control and we're to give him some meds twice a day. We're hoping the worst is over and that he'll recover fully. The vet gave us a huge discount on the bill, and had grown attached to what he called, one tough kitty.

I'm sorry about your kitty. It's so heartbreaking to see them go through something like that and not be able to do anything about it. I don't handle the death of pets very well. They're like children to me and to see one in pain or suffer breaks my heart. Hugs!

Snitchcat
05-27-2011, 06:28 AM
:Hug2::cry::Hug2:

Susan Littlefield
05-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Hugs in return.

I am so sorry. I have had cats my entire adult life, and it's never easy when their time comes. You and she will both know when the time is right, when she's ready to go. Just love her and Schrody and treasure these moments.

I'm thinking of you, my friend. Hang in there.

Broadswordbabe
05-27-2011, 09:37 AM
You guys are the best, really.
And BunnyMaz, thanks for the suggestion. They're good people where I work so I might be able to swing a day off. Carogirl, I do know what you mean - I don't want to keep her around just to make me feel better. The vet says she'll get a look in her eyes, when she's had enough, and I do know what look he means, I've seen it before. Not the first cat I've lost. And I would wonder why I do it, but the joy of having them around is still worth the pain of losing them.

Grrarrgh
05-27-2011, 03:59 PM
:Hug2:

Ari Meermans
05-27-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm so sorry. This is a rough time for you, Egypt and Schrody and you have my sympathies.

I said good-bye to my little Heidi on the 16th and I, too, asked why I keep putting myself through this again and again. Then, I remembered how she wanted nothing so much as to be near me and how that little face turned up to me in absolute trust—trust that I'd protect her from the big, bad storms and care for her everyday and be there with her at the end—and I realized why I do this.

Broadswordbabe
05-28-2011, 11:09 AM
True Believer, I'm so sorry to hear about Heidi. She sounds like a sweetie. Egypt's cranky, demanding, bullies her son rotten (despite him being twice her size) and a complete attention junkie. I adore her anyway. She still seems reasonably content and happy, today, at least.

Broadswordbabe
06-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Well, my little girl's gone. The vet came yesterday. She seemed so miserable on Tuesday, I thought it was time- but of course, yesterday, she perked up a little and I wondered if I'd made the right decision. We were out in the garden and she was on my lap, and then the vet opened his case and she realised something was up and got panicky; it was awful. My poor baby. I wanted it to be serene and quiet in a place she'd feel safe. Instead she struggled and I felt like a bloody murderer.
I still do. How the hell do you ever know if you got it right, if you could have done it better?
I buried her under the flowering quince. She liked to lie there and watch me potter around the garden. I hope she can forgive me.

Medievalist
06-17-2011, 01:45 AM
I'm so very sorry.

whacko
06-17-2011, 01:46 AM
Hey Broady,

You were there beside her, so it was serene.

Regards

Whacko

heyjude
06-17-2011, 02:35 AM
I'm sorry.

FWIW, I believe that it's better to be a bit early (if indeed you were) than too late. I felt that we were way late on our poor dog, and that he suffered needlessly. I would rather have had him go before he got to that point. But I don't think you can ever truly know the exact right moment.

Take comfort that you were with her and that she's in no pain now. But I'm so sorry for your loss.

regdog
06-17-2011, 02:47 AM
:Hug2: I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to know when the right time is. We recently went through it with our dog and I think it's natural for us to second guess ourselves. W want them to live forever without pain.

Rainbow Bridge (http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm) :Hug2:

Uncarved
06-17-2011, 02:53 AM
I'm sorry.

FWIW, I believe that it's better to be a bit early (if indeed you were) than too late. I felt that we were way late on our poor dog, and that he suffered needlessly. I would rather have had him go before he got to that point. But I don't think you can ever truly know the exact right moment.

Take comfort that you were with her and that she's in no pain now. But I'm so sorry for your loss.

I agree with this about too early rather than too late.
I'm so sorry you had to deal with that, I know Egypt will be missed.

Stlight
06-17-2011, 03:47 AM
You got it right. It's best, I think to do it, while they are still enjoying the little things. That she freaked, just means she still had some strength and her mind was good. With cats this can come down to a matter of hours, not days. As others have said, better a day or so early than late.
:Hug2:

MaryMumsy
06-17-2011, 03:55 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. I think it's cool you buried her under her favorite bush. Three of ours and one of my Dad's are buried in our backyard. We wander past and talk to them with some regularity.

MM

Broadswordbabe
06-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks, everyone. I miss her a lot, and I guess I will for a long time; funny little bolshie thing that she was.