PDA

View Full Version : Finished manuscript ritual

elmoie
05-25-2011, 02:56 PM
I know many writers have a specific thing they have to do after they finish a book/short story/screenplay etc, and I was wondering if anyone here has one.

I haven't finished my book yet, but I will do something when it's finished - I'm not sure yet but I think it will involve copious amounts of champagne.

So, what's your ritual - if you have one, and why do you do it? Is it your way of rewarding yourself for all the hard work, a celebration of what you have achieved or is it for more superstitious reasons?

shaldna
05-25-2011, 03:09 PM
I usually have the wine chilling, and i'll order some food, then when I'm done I'll save it, email it to myself, back it up somewhere else, and then i'll hang out with my hubby, who will tell me how awesome I am, we'll drink all the wine, eat far too much food and fall asleep on the sofa watching CSI.

mccardey
05-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Sleep. Walk. Opera. Sleep. :)

Also - I buy an antique teacup and saucer.

why do you do it? Is it your way of rewarding yourself for all the hard work, a celebration of what you have achieved or is it for more superstitious reasons?

No excuse beyond, you know, relief....!

PorterStarrByrd
05-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Start the next one

Purple Rose
05-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Cake, lots of rich, creamy cake. Then I sleep alot. Then I start on the next one.

seun
05-25-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't have any particular ritual when I finish a book. I usually celebrate with a couple of beers and relax for the first time in months.

gothicangel
05-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Start the next one

Just what I was going to say. :D

Not forgetting to polish the query and synopsis first of course.

BjornAbust
05-25-2011, 04:04 PM
I spill the blood of orphans upon the finished manuscript as a means of blessing it before sending it out to publishers.

Er... I mean, I treat myself to a nice meal out and perhaps a cold beer.

Libbie
05-25-2011, 04:35 PM
I go out and have some Indian food.

mccardey
05-25-2011, 04:51 PM
So - I'm the only one with the opera and antique teacup thing?

*sigh*

so disappointing....

Becca_H
05-25-2011, 05:26 PM
I also start the next one, usually within two "working" hours of finishing the first.

Too many ideas in my head and I need to get them out to make room for the new ones.

Cathy C
05-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Lunch at Red Lobster for Cie and I. :D Then it's back to work.

JimmyB27
05-25-2011, 06:32 PM

*sigh*

so disappointing....
Maybe not an antique teacup (not my thing :)), but I really like the idea of buying a....something every time I finish a book. I'm going to have to do that (if I ever do finish). Seems like a nice little visual reminder of how much work you've done. :)

quicklime
05-25-2011, 06:51 PM
I know many writers have a specific thing they have to do after they finish a book/short story/screenplay etc, and I was wondering if anyone here has one.

I haven't finished my book yet, but I will do something when it's finished - I'm not sure yet but I think it will involve copious amounts of champagne.

So, what's your ritual - if you have one, and why do you do it? Is it your way of rewarding yourself for all the hard work, a celebration of what you have achieved or is it for more superstitious reasons?

i suspect I'll grab sushi perhaps for lunch.

when it SELLS I will celebrate.

Alitriona
05-25-2011, 09:59 PM
I crack open a bottle of Champagne, but it has to be the good stuff.

Jamesaritchie
05-25-2011, 11:19 PM
I buy something special each time I sell a book, but like others, all I do upon finishing is start another.

Libbie
05-25-2011, 11:39 PM

*sigh*

so disappointing....

I love opera, but I've never thought to make it a part of a story-finishing celebration. :)

MercyMe
05-25-2011, 11:41 PM
I run a bath, pour a glass of wine and soak for as long as I want to without once freaking out that I'm not writing.

I don't usually start the next for about 6 weeks although I write notes about the weather or observations to be used at a later date. Just to keep my hand in.

And I journal ideas. But no computer stuff for 6 weeks.

firedrake
05-26-2011, 12:01 AM
I feel all lost when I've finished a book. I even cried when I finished my WW2 novel. :crazy:
usually, I'll put it away for a while and start on something else.

I'm saving my champers and Indian meal for when I get paid, so I can celebrate selling my first book. :D

elmoie
05-26-2011, 03:26 PM
I crack open a bottle of Champagne, but it has to be the good stuff.

I like that idea. I would add chocolate (preferably chocolate covered strawberries).

Darren Frey
05-26-2011, 03:54 PM
I have a single glass of champagne and a cigarette waiting for me for when Im done.

Haha (brownie points for whoever gets that) but seriously I didnt do anything when I finished The Blood Reapers. I had problems with alcohol in the past so I dont touch any of the stuff. Perhaps I can start up a ritual with the release date of my books.

TheTinCat
05-26-2011, 04:07 PM
I usually sigh a sigh of relief, re-read the last chapter, watch TV the rest of the night, and then start editing from the top the next day...

KathleenD
05-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Finished, as in first draft finished, my husband takes me out for ice cream.

Finished, as in ready to mail finished, I get it submitted before I break down and start fiddle-farting around with it. Then I note the date on a spreadsheet and try not to think about it by diving into the next.

Sales, we go out to dinner and I order some kind of frozen drink with an umbrella.

I did not realize how utterly banal I am until just now, thankyousomuch. ;)

M. Scott
05-26-2011, 05:37 PM
For a first draft, I don't celebrate. For a second draft, I maybe take a day off from writing. Normally, I just check over my outline for the next, let the old one sit for a while, then jump back to it. The celebrating doesn't start until the selling ;)

James Ebersole
05-26-2011, 09:14 PM

*sigh*

so disappointing....

Hah, I actually like the idea of some lasting physical trophy! Imagine if you get famous; people could say "This is the teacup that goes with this book, this teacup was purchased when this one was completed, etc. etc." ;)

AlwaysJuly
05-26-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't do anything. It's a nice idea, though.

Typing THE END is its own reward.

amergina
05-26-2011, 10:09 PM
After I type THE END, I cry, put on Kenneth Branagh's Henry V, and have a glass of wine.

The crying is more a release of tension than anything else. I hate it, but I can't seem to not do it.:Shrug:

mccardey
05-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Hah, I actually like the idea of some lasting physical trophy! Imagine if you get famous; people could say "This is the teacup that goes with this book, this teacup was purchased when this one was completed, etc. etc." ;)

Oh, you're such a dizzy optimist! I suspect it's more like "This is the teacup I bought with the $23 earnings from Old Book. And this tea-bag represents my advance from New Book..."

But hey - antique teacup! :Sun: